[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 NFL Offseason and Draft Thread  (Read 95533 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2024 NFL Thread
« Reply #2325 on: January 08, 2024, 11:55:04 AM »
Wrong.

The bears haven't had a coaching staff competent enough to scheme or develop talent in years

The Bears could have taken Mahomes instead of Trubisky or Stroud instead of Fields or acquired Lamar or Allen or anyone.

The individual player's talent is nearly irrelevant

Uh...what?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2326 on: January 08, 2024, 12:17:44 PM »
My prediction is that the Bears run it back next year with Fields, eberflus, and Getsy. because that's what the Bears do. That is what mediocre teams do.
It is also equally as possible that the Packers will trade for Rodgers.  - Fields & Moore have taken shots at Getsy and Eberflus said he is disappointed in the offense. At 'bear' minimum Getsy is gone and he may self-terminate.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 12:32:26 PM by WhiteTrash »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2327 on: January 08, 2024, 12:36:35 PM »
Understand what Tepper is, but as a Panthers fan, was it a deserved firing or just Tepper being Tepper?

Does the success of Stroud going to a terrible team cloud our judgment on expectations for a rookie QB? Did the GM in Carolina do enough to help Young out?

I'm glad he got fired because the vast majority of his draft picks and FA signings failed, and he really effed up the Brian Burns situation.

But you make a good point - with the Panthers, you don't know how hamstrung he was. Fitterer's first two years, Rhule theoretically had the final say on any moves, and Fitterer's last year, the big decisions (head coach and QB) had Tepper's fingerprints all over them.

I for one will not fault Fitterer/Tepper for drafting Young over Stroud, because if I'm to be honest I'd have done the same. Young played his rookie season behind a terrible line and with WRs who couldn't get open. He might prove to be no good - and the decision to draft him instead of Stroud after trading so much to move up could haunt the franchise for a decade - but I want to give Young another couple of years, hopefully with better coaching and talent around him (though I'm not holding my breath).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2328 on: January 08, 2024, 12:50:32 PM »
I'm glad he got fired because the vast majority of his draft picks and FA signings failed, and he really effed up the Brian Burns situation.

But you make a good point - with the Panthers, you don't know how hamstrung he was. Fitterer's first two years, Rhule theoretically had the final say on any moves, and Fitterer's last year, the big decisions (head coach and QB) had Tepper's fingerprints all over them.

I for one will not fault Fitterer/Tepper for drafting Young over Stroud, because if I'm to be honest I'd have done the same. Young played his rookie season behind a terrible line and with WRs who couldn't get open. He might prove to be no good - and the decision to draft him instead of Stroud after trading so much to move up could haunt the franchise for a decade - but I want to give Young another couple of years, hopefully with better coaching and talent around him (though I'm not holding my breath).

Trading a WR1 to draft your QB1 who has only thrown to high-end talent is certainly a choice.

Even I know it was the cost of doing business, but if you felt like you didn't have another year to spare and the Bears wouldn't take a 1st 3 years out, then the indictment is shared by both Fitterer and Tepper.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2329 on: January 08, 2024, 12:52:08 PM »
Uh...what?

The bears coaches stink.

Had the bears kept their pick from last draft and taken Stroud at #1, I predict they finish roughly the same this year with Stroud instead of Fields.

Because their coaches and strategy is terrible.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2330 on: January 08, 2024, 01:00:46 PM »
Trading a WR1 to draft your QB1 who has only thrown to high-end talent is certainly a choice.

Even I know it was the cost of doing business, but if you felt like you didn't have another year to spare and the Bears wouldn't take a 1st 3 years out, then the indictment is shared by both Fitterer and Tepper.

Totally agree - I would not have made that trade for the #1 pick. I'd have continued building talent, would have gotten more of a game-manager QB, probably would have kept last year's interim as HC (Steve Wilks) and seen what happened.

But once Tepper/Federer made the trade for the #1 pick, I can't argue with selecting Young because that's who I would have taken. That's all I was saying. You're right that they gave up far too much, including (and maybe especially) Moore.

I think they deluded themselves into thinking they actually had a pretty good team because they went 6-6 under Wilks and the O line run-blocked well for the scheme Wilks favored, so they thought they could plug in Young and actually improve. But then Tepper fired the coach who made it work and brought in a pass-happy coaching team, and, well ... 2-15!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #2331 on: January 08, 2024, 01:53:13 PM »
Pennix would be the most Bearsy pick ever. Just veer from one extreme to the other to fix things. He is easily the most immobile QB being considered anywhere near the top of the draft. I really like him as a passer, but for a guy like that, you need OL who are pass protectors first and run blockers second - the opposite of what they now have.

My prediction is that the Bears run it back next year with Fields, eberflus, and Getsy. because that's what the Bears do. That is what mediocre teams do.

Maybe Poles will earn his money and take some risks. They are sorely needed. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Just because he’s a pocket passer doesn’t mean he’s immobile. He escapes pressure and steps up with the best of them. One of the best deep balls in college I’ve ever seen. Pair that with Moore and MH jr and I think you’ve got some fun.

What if they draft those two, pick up fields option and if it’s time to move on you have Penix ready in the wings

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2332 on: January 08, 2024, 01:58:21 PM »
I've been hearing we can't really evaluate the Bears QB because the coaching staff sucks for what feels like my entire lifetime.  Probably true because when these QBs move on to new teams they kill it.  Oh wait...

The idea that some Bears fans throw around that the Bears' outlook would be no different had they drafted Mahomes instead of Trubisky is absolutely hilarious.  Mahomes is an all time great.  Trubisky was a one year college starter for a okay program.  He has continued to stink as a quarterback with the Bills and Steelers.  The Bears would be awesome with Mahomes, just like any franchise in the NFL would be awesome with Mahomes.

Justin Fields isn't bad at quarterback because of the Bears coaching staff.  He's bad at quarterback because he's a running back.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2333 on: January 08, 2024, 02:03:01 PM »
I've been hearing we can't really evaluate the Bears QB because the coaching staff sucks for what feels like my entire lifetime.  Probably true because when these QBs move on to new teams they kill it.  Oh wait...

The idea that some Bears fans throw around that the Bears' outlook would be no different had they drafted Mahomes instead of Trubisky is absolutely hilarious.  Mahomes is an all time great.  Trubisky was a one year college starter for a okay program.  He has continued to stink as a quarterback with the Bills and Steelers.  The Bears would be awesome with Mahomes, just like any franchise in the NFL would be awesome with Mahomes.

Justin Fields isn't bad at quarterback because of the Bears coaching staff.  He's bad at quarterback because he's a running back.

Is the assertion here that every NFL QB that has failed is a result only of the individual QBs talent and has nothing to do with the coaching staff or team around him?

Have there been any instances of a QB that failed in one place and succeeded in another? Or vice versa?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2334 on: January 08, 2024, 02:05:20 PM »
Is the assertion here that every NFL QB that has failed is a result only of the individual QBs talent and has nothing to do with the coaching staff or team around him?

Have there been any instances of a QB that failed in one place and succeeded in another? Or vice versa?

Coaching can definitely help a player, but the idea that any QB that goes to the Bears is doomed is hilarious.  I'll take the talented QB with the bad coaching staff over Brandon Zappe or Mac Jones with Bill Belichick.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #2335 on: January 08, 2024, 02:06:28 PM »

Sure there have been some instances. Probably the most famous is Steve Young.

But by and large, if quarterback busts have any improvement, its simply marginal.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2336 on: January 08, 2024, 02:21:34 PM »

I think there are plenty of QBs whose development has been hampered by bad coaching - or too many coaching changes - but I don't think there are many/any examples in which that's the only or primary thing that prevented success.
Most highly drafted QBs get multiple chances in the league after washing out with their first team. See: Trubisky, Wentz, Darnold, Rosen, Jameis, Bortles, EJ Manuel, etc. The ones who don't get second chances tend to be guys with obvious character/ethic concerns, i.e. Manziel, JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf.
It's seems super rare that these guys are subpar at their first or second stop and then get good with better coaching. Sultan mentioned Young, but he was really good in the USFL before struggling in Tampa - where, it should be noted, he only played 19 games.
I guess you could throw Tannehill in the conversation ... he never developed into a guy you'd take with the #8 overall pick, but he had some better than average seasons in Tennessee.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2337 on: January 08, 2024, 02:30:24 PM »
Good responses.

You'll never convince me the bears have had good offensive coaching in the past 25 years.

They could also have drafted/acquired terrible QBs during that stretch.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2338 on: January 08, 2024, 02:31:15 PM »
I think there are 4 main things you look for. In order:
1. Reading defenses.
2. Accuracy.
3. Pocket presence.
4. Mobility.

I think the 1st two are most critical - Trubisky & Fields are great examples. But most ‘busts’ have issues with 2 of the first 3.

Love could stand to improve his accuracy, but the other 3 look good.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2339 on: January 08, 2024, 02:32:06 PM »
Good responses.

You'll never convince me the bears have had good offensive coaching in the past 25 years.

They could also have drafted/acquired terrible QBs during that stretch.

Maybe a combination?

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #2340 on: January 08, 2024, 02:39:08 PM »

Ignoring the annoying running back shtick, I will never forget this.

“While Trubisky didn't ooze charisma like Mahomes and Watson, Pace deeply admired his humility. He valued Trubisky's family support system and dedicated approach.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2341 on: January 08, 2024, 03:04:38 PM »

“While Trubisky didn't ooze charisma like Mahomes and Watson, Pace deeply admired his humility. He valued Trubisky's family support system and dedicated approach.”

Was Pace a dentist?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2342 on: January 08, 2024, 03:34:53 PM »

Rich Campbell had the same qualities. Very religious. But sucked at football.

A bigger bust than Mandarich.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 03:37:05 PM by Jockey »

• All American
« Reply #2343 on: January 08, 2024, 04:00:49 PM »

Rich Campbell had the same qualities. Very religious. But sucked at football.

A bigger bust than Mandarich.

The number six pick in the draft and never started a game.

Part of this is because Lynn Dickey finally stayed healthy and was pretty darn good.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2344 on: January 08, 2024, 04:24:23 PM »
There is a idea that the best teams draft based upon talent not need. If you accept that to be true, then even if Fields is a good QB but through a deft trade you get the #1 pick you owe it to your team to take a great talent to replace the good talent.

The importance of the QB is reflected in the high draft position and later the huge cap allocation. Trying to upgrade the QB position with a #1 pick is not terribly unique or devoid of logic.

If the Bears don't think highly of this years crop, then keep Fields. We will all know in 1 year if they are correct, and so will Poles' real estate agent.  :D

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2345 on: January 08, 2024, 07:48:03 PM »
If Michigan wins tonight, Harbaugh to Bears becomes a possibility. Would be interesting to see what Harbaugh would do with Fields and Bears draft choices.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2346 on: January 08, 2024, 07:50:44 PM »
The scenario is the same if Washington wins.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2347 on: January 08, 2024, 07:53:21 PM »
If Michigan wins tonight, Harbaugh to Bears becomes a possibility. Would be interesting to see what Harbaugh would do with Fields and Bears draft choices.

He’d trade Fields because he’s terrible
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #2348 on: January 08, 2024, 08:12:10 PM »
There is a idea that the best teams draft based upon talent not need. If you accept that to be true, then even if Fields is a good QB but through a deft trade you get the #1 pick you owe it to your team to take a great talent to replace the good talent.

The importance of the QB is reflected in the high draft position and later the huge cap allocation. Trying to upgrade the QB position with a #1 pick is not terribly unique or devoid of logic.

If the Bears don't think highly of this years crop, then keep Fields. We will all know in 1 year if they are correct, and so will Poles' real estate agent.  :D

I don't care how good a QB is. If the OL stinks so will the QB.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2349 on: January 08, 2024, 08:28:12 PM »

Alex Smith