[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Jay Bee
[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 NFL Offseason and Draft Thread  (Read 95687 times)

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: 2023-24 NFL Thread
« Reply #1675 on: December 04, 2023, 02:16:18 PM »
Why isn't Randall Cobb getting a shot at QB

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1676 on: December 04, 2023, 08:18:47 PM »
Browning is a great story.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1677 on: December 04, 2023, 08:26:08 PM »
Browning is a great story.

I'm old enough to remember when Josh Dobbs was a great story.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1678 on: December 04, 2023, 08:32:16 PM »
Back up qbs are fascinating.   So many have played this year.   Such a huge spread in performance.   Dobbs was money for about a month.   The disasters in New York, New York, New England, Dobbs in Arizona, Bagent showing just a little.   Who could have possibly predicted Browning's first half?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1679 on: December 05, 2023, 05:50:35 AM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1680 on: December 05, 2023, 10:15:45 AM »
For all the teeth-gnashing about how Bryce Young was so small he'd always be hurt, it's big, strong QBs who have gotten smashed-up this season.

Young could get pummeled and sidelined this week, that's the reality. But so could any other QB. You don't have to be under 6-ft tall to have ligaments, tendons, rotator cuffs, bones and brains that can get torn, sprained or broken during an NFL game. Indeed, some bigger QBs use their bodies like battering rams and take far more abuse than smaller guys do.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1681 on: December 05, 2023, 10:37:43 AM »
For all the teeth-gnashing about how Bryce Young was so small he'd always be hurt, it's big, strong QBs who have gotten smashed-up this season.

Young could get pummeled and sidelined this week, that's the reality. But so could any other QB. You don't have to be under 6-ft tall to have ligaments, tendons, rotator cuffs, bones and brains that can get torn, sprained or broken during an NFL game. Indeed, some bigger QBs use their bodies like battering rams and take far more abuse than smaller guys do.
I smell a rule change coming to protect the QBs even more.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1682 on: December 05, 2023, 12:55:28 PM »
Maybe I'm the only one, but I wasn't outraged by the call on that Mahomes sideline hit. Yes, he was still inbounds by an inch or two, but he had obviously slowed and was obviously stepping out of bounds. I looked at it as "giving himself up" - as if he were sliding.

Talking to the pool reporter, the referee said: "The covering official believed that the defender made late and unnecessary contact on the quarterback. So that was the call for unnecessary roughness."

As an NFL fan who occasionally likes to see offense, I want healthy QBs. That hit was unnecessary and excessive IMHO. I do understand why folks might disagree.

The no-call on the interference ... the only defense is that they simply didn't see it because they weren't in position or just missed the timing of the mugging.

Because you can't seriously look at that play and say, "There wasn't pass interference." If you say that, you don't know the rule and you shouldn't be officiating.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1683 on: December 05, 2023, 01:15:58 PM »
Maybe I'm the only one, but I wasn't outraged by the call on that Mahomes sideline hit. Yes, he was still inbounds by an inch or two, but he had obviously slowed and was obviously stepping out of bounds. I looked at it as "giving himself up" - as if he were sliding.

Talking to the pool reporter, the referee said: "The covering official believed that the defender made late and unnecessary contact on the quarterback. So that was the call for unnecessary roughness."

So in other words, he made up a rule - or made up an interpretation of one. Because by the letter of the rules, the hit was completely legal. I mean, how can a hit be "late" when the runner is still in-bounds and not down?

It was a terrible call. If Mahomes wants to protect himself from that hit, he could either slide or go out of bounds earlier.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1684 on: December 05, 2023, 01:27:31 PM »
Never said it was a late hit. The call was unnecessary roughness. Given that info, the penalty was justified, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1685 on: December 05, 2023, 01:39:53 PM »
If Mahomes wants to protect himself from that hit, he could either slide or go out of bounds earlier.

This is the rub for me - can't have it both ways. Calling a late hit there is like spotting the ball where a QB is at the end of the slide rather than the beginning of the sliding motion.  It bakes in an extra couple yards for a QB who has turned into a runner that a defense has no way to prevent.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1686 on: December 05, 2023, 01:41:20 PM »
Never said it was a late hit. The call was unnecessary roughness. Given that info, the penalty was justified, hey?

What's unnecessary about hitting a runner to stop forward progress within the field of play?

• All American
« Reply #1687 on: December 05, 2023, 01:42:46 PM »

How was it unnecessary? He was a legal runner and in-bounds.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1688 on: December 05, 2023, 01:45:27 PM »
It's an unnecessary hit until a runner is slowing up to appear to be heading out of bounds, and then turns up the sidelines and gets 20 more yards and the defender is criticized for giving up on a play.

The guy was in bounds.  It was as blatant of a missed call as the non-PI was.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1689 on: December 05, 2023, 01:53:34 PM »
It was right by the first down marker too. Also, I believe Mahomes has used the defensive hesitation to turn up field before. The call was ridiculous.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1690 on: December 05, 2023, 01:55:14 PM »
Owens played it perfectly and explained why.

1 - Mahomes was right at the first down marker
2 - if Mahomes momentum was stopped before going out, the clock rolls (not that the refs are concerned about that sort of thing)

He didn't go for the head or the legs, didn't lead with his head. It was pretty textbook except that the dude he it was the face of the league

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1691 on: December 05, 2023, 02:07:41 PM »
Owens played it perfectly and explained why.

1 - Mahomes was right at the first down marker
2 - if Mahomes momentum was stopped before going out, the clock rolls (not that the refs are concerned about that sort of thing)

He didn't go for the head or the legs, didn't lead with his head. It was pretty textbook except that the dude he it was the face of the league

Which they weren't a few plays later (or maybe earlier?) in that drive.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1692 on: December 05, 2023, 07:27:04 PM »
If you watch the replay, you can see that one thing that wasn't gonna happen was Mahomes turning upfield for more yardage. His right toe was an inch from the sideline and his left foot was in the air headed out of bounds. He's not a contortionist. He gave himself up on the play.

I could see the call going either way. As one who roots neither for nor against either KC or GM, I'm OK with unnecessary roughness being called there. I admit that if I were looking at it through green-and-gold glasses, I'd probably have hated it.

But come on ... it is NOTHING like the interference play. That was obvious and blatant, a total mugging that gave the receiver no chance to catch the ball. But the official responsible for the call was either incompetent or chickensh!t.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1693 on: December 05, 2023, 07:41:42 PM »
Even after the hit both of Mohomes’s feet were in bounds. Giving himself up would’ve been sliding. He was running with the ball in the field of play. It was as clear of a missed call as you can find, just as the PI was. Terry McAulay confirmed.

• All American
« Reply #1694 on: December 05, 2023, 08:21:40 PM »
If you watch the replay, you can see that one thing that wasn't gonna happen was Mahomes turning upfield for more yardage. His right toe was an inch from the sideline and his left foot was in the air headed out of bounds. He's not a contortionist. He gave himself up on the play.

I could see the call going either way. As one who roots neither for nor against either KC or GM, I'm OK with unnecessary roughness being called there. I admit that if I were looking at it through green-and-gold glasses, I'd probably have hated it.

But come on ... it is NOTHING like the interference play. That was obvious and blatant, a total mugging that gave the receiver no chance to catch the ball. But the official responsible for the call was either incompetent or chickensh!t.

An inch from the sideline is still in bounds. It was an obviously bad call. Both of them were. And it has nothing to do with fandom, which you strangely keep bringing up.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1695 on: December 05, 2023, 09:14:52 PM »

that play the PI allegedly occurred during wouldn’t have occurred if they were 15 yards back. If mahomes is worried about getting hurt while being tackled in bounds while going forward he should probably sit out until his next contract so he can get paid more.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1696 on: December 05, 2023, 10:31:55 PM »
Both were egregious, as was the MVS play with 19 seconds where the clock shouldn't have stopped. Collinsworth's hand wringing over the Hail Mary is a bit much and took away from the end of the game. At the end of the day, the team that deserved to win, did.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1697 on: December 06, 2023, 12:26:47 AM »
that play the PI allegedly occurred during wouldn’t have occurred if they were 15 yards back. If mahomes is worried about getting hurt while being tackled in bounds while going forward he should probably sit out until his next contract so he can get paid more.

Thats an absurd deduction.  That pass was on 1st and 10 from the 33.  Without the penalty, it was on 1st and 10 from the 48.  Saying the Chiefs wouldn't have run a 30 yard pass from the 48 as opposed to the 33 is batsh**.  And saying "allegedly" makes you sound like a hopeless homer.  The 15 yarder on Owens was a weak call at best, egregiously bad at worst.  Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, outside of blind Packers homers and WAGs thinks the PI was even questionable.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1698 on: December 06, 2023, 04:29:40 AM »
Relax it was a joke

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1699 on: December 06, 2023, 09:56:29 AM »
Relax it was a joke

I mean clearly the second part was, the first didn't really read like it.  My B

feedback