collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Crean Taking Credit For Beating MU In A Tweet  (Read 13748 times)

Bocephys

• All American
Re: Crean Taking Credit For Beating MU In A Tweet
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 09:55:08 PM »
Serious question: Is Buzz a drinking man?

I don't think he drinks.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2012, 10:32:18 PM »
I don't think he drinks.

Can we trust him?

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2012, 10:46:55 PM »
Can we trust him?

Can't trust anyone, they're all Chicos.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2012, 11:13:15 PM »
Can't trust anyone, they're all Chicos.

But Chicos is a drinker. More over, he is the host of the famous Backyard Summits where the beer flows and the manly companionship is available in spades.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2012, 11:26:11 PM »
But Chicos is a drinker. More over, he is the host of the famous Backyard Summits where the beer flows and the manly companionship is available in spades.

Chicos is a drinker.  Warthog is in the military and he married a cheerleader. 
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 11:41:09 AM »
Tom Crean ‏ @TomCrean

We jumped Kansas, Marquette,Illinois and Memphis to get to ninth in the Country for average attendance. Our fans are incredibly energetic.

... the above tweet generated this awesome reply ...

Walshie ‏ @BWalsh525

@TomCrean go choke on a diet pepsi you tanning cream doucher.

----

Here is a post on the attendance number ...

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=32479.0

How is this 'taking credit'?  He gave credit to the students and stated a fact (that they passed several teams one of which was us).

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2012, 11:53:43 AM »
How is this 'taking credit'?  He gave credit to the students and stated a fact (that they passed several teams one of which was us).

See the first two words of the tweet ... "we jumped"

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2012, 12:19:11 PM »

In fairness, what is he supposed to use?

"They Jumped"?

Most coaches refer to their programs as "we", not "they".

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2012, 12:23:23 PM »
Chicos is a drinker.  Warthog is in the military and he married a cheerleader. 

A Marquette cheerleader, Chicos.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2012, 01:08:20 PM »
In fairness, what is he supposed to use?

"They Jumped"?

Most coaches refer to their programs as "we", not "they".

Well, since we had a long thread discussing whether it was appropriate for a fan/almu to us the word "we" when discussing the program/team, I guess we now need to have a long thread discussing if a coach can use the word "we" when discussing fans/alums.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2012, 01:31:09 PM »
Well, since we had a long thread discussing whether it was appropriate for a fan/almu to us the word "we" when discussing the program/team, I guess we now need to have a long thread discussing if a coach can use the word "we" when discussing fans/alums.

Well, yesterday's award winning debate was about the word "risk".

Apparently everybody to agreed upon it, but still managed to argue about it.

Skip Bayless is rubbing off on sports fans everywhere. F.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:33:04 PM by 2002MUalum »

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2012, 01:35:44 PM »
Well, yesterday's award winning debate was about the word "risk".

Apparently everybody to We all agreed upon it, but still managed to argue about it.

Skip Bayless is rubbing off on sports fans everywhere. F.

Fixed  ;)

The Process

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2012, 05:42:47 PM »
Skip Bayless is rubbing off on sports fans everywhere.

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.
Relax. Respect the Process.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 09:30:29 AM »

What is he supposed to say?  It is his program, his employer, of course he would say "we jumped".

Is Buzz not supposed to say "we" when referencing his team?
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 09:35:27 AM »
Wish this was the case, but Buzz got reprimanded by our A.D., for the WVU dance.  How dare our coach be able to enjoy a spontaneous moment of emotion - that also went viral and got MU a lot of publicity - most of which was positive in 49 other states other than WVU and in the eyes of recruits...

Did you go around reading all the comments to determine that most of it was positive?  How do you know this? 

How do you know if he was publicly reprimanded?  A comment in an article with no context?

Buzz apologized within seconds after realizing that he probably went a bit over the line.  He wasn't doing anything intentional, but people are sensitive after wins and losses.  If Buzz was the coach of Notre Dame or Wisconsin and they beat us on our home court and did a dance like that how would you have reacted?  How would other posters here have acted?  An honest answer would be appreciated.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2012, 11:04:32 AM »

Buzz apologized within seconds after realizing that he probably went a bit over the line.  He wasn't doing anything intentional, but people are sensitive after wins and losses.  If Buzz was the coach of Notre Dame or Wisconsin and they beat us on our home court and did a dance like that how would you have reacted?  How would other posters here have acted?  An honest answer would be appreciated.

I actually agree with this assessment. Buzz is spontaneous, and given the circumstances (overcoming a big lead and 4 suspensions to win a BEast road game) he got caught up in the moment. Not a big deal, but he didn't want to show up Huggins, hence his quick (and oft repeated) apology. My problem was with L Williams. He used a very minor incident for which Buzz had already probably over-apologized as a reason for an unnecessary and unwarrented public reprimand.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2012, 11:09:14 AM »
I actually agree with this assessment. Buzz is spontaneous, and given the circumstances (overcoming a big lead and 4 suspensions to win a BEast road game) he got caught up in the moment. Not a big deal, but he didn't want to show up Huggins, hence his quick (and oft repeated) apology. My problem was with L Williams. He used a very minor incident for which Buzz had already probably over-apologized as a reason for an unnecessary and unwarrented public reprimand.

You're being waayyyy over sensitive here. L. Williams was asked a question and he apparently had the gall to answer it honestly. There was no reprimand, and his comments were about as vanilla as they come.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 11:24:54 AM »
You're being waayyyy over sensitive here. L. Williams was asked a question and he apparently had the gall to answer it honestly. There was no reprimand, and his comments were about as vanilla as they come.

Maybe my recollection (I am old, after all) is wrong, but I don't think L Williams was asked a question about it. I thought he was asked a generic Buzz question and came back with the famous "I want to help make Buzz a better coach" reply and then added his thoughts on the WV celebration as an example of an area in which he thought Buzz was lacking. IIRC most here weren't struck by Larry's honesty, but rather by his ego or his clumsiness, whichever they felt were the basis for his statements. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2012, 12:05:38 PM »
Maybe my recollection (I am old, after all) is wrong, but I don't think L Williams was asked a question about it.

You're suggesting Larry called the Journal Sentinel, asked to speak with Don Walker and volunteered the statement (along with many others on the state of MU athletics)?
It doesn't work that way. It was an interview. In an interview, the person being interviewed is asked questions.

I thought he was asked a generic Buzz question and came back with the famous "I want to help make Buzz a better coach" reply and then added his thoughts on the WV celebration as an example of an area in which he thought Buzz was lacking.

Really? What do you base this assumption on?
and if you're going to quote the man, at least do so accurately.

IIRC most here weren't struck by Larry's honesty, but rather by his ego or his clumsiness, whichever they felt were the basis for his statements. 

Sure, mostly by the same people who three months later continue to make Everest out of this molehill.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2012, 01:48:03 PM »
For the record, here is the press release Larry Williams(domer) released that pissed off Buzz and started this whole mess.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/williams-settles-into-directors-chair-at-mu-vt4dgja-141323703.html

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2012, 02:01:39 PM »
Okay, I'll let his quotes speak for themselves:

"I'd be excited to help him grow as a coach"

"He's an emotional guy, passionate guy, but if you're going to have long term success you have to channel that and control that"

"He's either going to explode because his tie is too tight or he's going to offend somebody that is irrevocable"

So he thinks Buzz needs to grow as a coach and that he is the guy that can help him. And he thinks that if Buzz doesn't learn more self control the consequences will be dire. And he figured this out in a couple of months on the job. Great, if his "opinion" is true. But if I had built the incredible resume' that Buzz has over 4 years and some guy who's been here less than 3 months went to the press to discuss my shortcomings like this I'd be pissed. So would you, Pakuni.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:03:42 PM by Lennys Tap »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2012, 02:58:05 PM »
Larry Williams comments in the Journal Sentinel absolutely pissed Buzz off...and I'd be shocked if any of us, given the argument Lenny's just made - wouldn't be pissed off too - whereby a guy 59 days on the job tells the press he is going to help a guy be a better coach..who has 4 years in and some skins on the wall.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2012, 02:58:56 PM »

So he thinks Buzz needs to grow as a coach and that he is the guy that can help him. And he thinks that if Buzz doesn't learn more self control the consequences will be dire. And he figured this out in a couple of months on the job. Great, if his "opinion" is true. But if I had built the incredible resume' that Buzz has over 4 years and some guy who's been here less than 3 months went to the press to discuss my shortcomings like this I'd be pissed. So would you, Pakuni.

Whew...good thing Buzz Williams is NOT you.  This version of Buzz sounds like a real high maintenance diva, which is something I'm 100% certain he's not.  Again people can't have it both ways-- Buzz can't be a no-nonsense, straight shooter, yet be as thin skinned, passive-aggressive, and cryptic as you (and others) "THINK" he is.  Given how he brutally honest and exacting he is about his players, it would make him a gigantic hypocrite if he was truly "offended" by those comments.  

For the record, here is the press release Larry Williams(domer) released that pissed off Buzz and started this whole mess.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/williams-settles-into-directors-chair-at-mu-vt4dgja-141323703.html

Surely, there is a link to an article full of direct quotes from Buzz taking umbrage to all of Larry (domer) William's comments--I'm sure it will make for an interesting read.  Please DO post it here, whoever can find it.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2012, 03:07:33 PM »
Whew...good thing Buzz Williams is NOT you.  This version of Buzz sounds like a real high maintenance diva, which is something I'm 100% certain he's not.  Again people can't have it both ways-- Buzz can't be a no-nonsense, straight shooter, yet be as thin skinned, passive-aggressive, and cryptic as you (and others) "THINK" he is.  Given how he brutally honest and exacting he is about his players, it would make him a gigantic hypocrite if he was truly "offended" by those comments.  

Sorry Lab - but Buzz earns the right to reprimand the guys he recruits, who choose to sign with MU and play for Buzz.  The relationship between player and coach often times is one that involved different motivational tactics.  Buzz didn't sign up to be "coached" by Larry Williams.  Buzz has gotten MU its best back to back NCAA tourney appearances since the days of Al McGuire - and some guy 59 days on the job who has never coached at the Division 1 Level is going to help him be a better coach...not too mention that he ties his tie too tight and will irrevocably offend someone??  Please.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2012, 03:10:10 PM »
Okay, I'll let his quotes speak for themselves:

"I'd be excited to help him grow as a coach"

"He's an emotional guy, passionate guy, but if you're going to have long term success you have to channel that and control that"

"He's either going to explode because his tie is too tight or he's going to offend somebody that is irrevocable"

1. Do you believe Buzz doesn't need to grow as a coach, that's he's somehow attained coaching perfection?
2. Where did LW say he was THE guy to help Buzz grow?
3. Dire? I'm going to assume here that LW wasn't speaking literally when he said Buzz would explode. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he truly believes Buzz will spontaneously combust.
4. Nice spin, but I doubt very much that LW called up Don Walker and said "Hey, Don, let's discuss Buzz's shortcomings. And while we're at it, could you publicize them?"
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:15:16 PM by Pakuni »