collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129832 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #5775 on: May 21, 2020, 11:26:31 AM »
I'll add one more. Make gatherings of 20+ people a criminal offense. That includes churches. Big parties and churches are spreading this right now. Church and religious services can easily continue in an online format.

If you follow the above. I think much of business can open and stay open in a successful manner.

I would actually make the arguement that if we eliminated group gatherings INDOORS of more than say 10 people for 6 months we will have this virus pretty well handled until we get a vaccine.

The group events/where people are concentrated seems to be what's spreading the disease.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5776 on: May 21, 2020, 11:29:25 AM »
What about outside?  Are you ok with outdoor patios and dining open for up to 50, while limiting outdoor church services to 10, ala Minnesota?

Perfectly fine with that. I might put a limit on density. You don't want 50 people shoulder to shoulder like at a concert, but it would be an easy thing to accommodate. Open up outdoor restaurants/patios. Do church services outdoors like they would do in the Minocqua area in summer.

All good options for those that want more in person events.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5777 on: May 21, 2020, 11:31:16 AM »
Ah, so you can't evaluate me, and it was just a dig.  I can handle that, but maybe you should reevaluate your 'shtick' since it just makes you look like a jerk most of the time.  Maybe don't make a huge deal out of mental health and then a few days later use mental health to make fun of people.  It's just a bad look.

What were my chicken little-esque wailings and nashing (sic) of teeth, exactly?  I warned people early and and said what scientists were saying at the time.  I was proven right on most accounts (the only incorrect one I can think of was the Ibuprofen warning).  There is plenty of history in this and other threads since you seem to want to keep score.

I'm not obsessed with Chico's.  I'm obsessed with calling him a liar at every turn, because if he can't even admit WHO he is, why should anyone believe WHAT he says.  I don't care that he is here and I wouldn't call for him to be banned.  Just looking for the honesty that he demands from the media and others.  I'm sure plenty of others see it that way as well.

Ok, snowflake.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5778 on: May 21, 2020, 11:35:00 AM »
Does anyone know if there has been any analysis of fatality rate based on time period? I've got a hypothesis that the patients who got Covid in Feb were way less lucky than someone who catches it now. Given 3 months of learning best practice interventions AND reduced strain on the healthcare system I'm thinking that the fatality rate in Covid infections is lower now than it was in March or April.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #5779 on: May 21, 2020, 11:39:58 AM »
Does anyone know if there has been any analysis of fatality rate based on time period? I've got a hypothesis that the patients who got Covid in Feb were way less lucky than someone who catches it now. Given 3 months of learning best practice interventions AND reduced strain on the healthcare system I'm thinking that the fatality rate in Covid infections is lower now than it was in March or April.

Anecdotally my sister is head of nursing at her hospital in the Chicago suburbs and this is definitely the case.  Outcomes,  according to her,  are much better now than in March.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5780 on: May 21, 2020, 11:53:50 AM »

Interesting hypothesis that I hope proves to be true. It makes sense that everything you mention would bring the fatality rate down. So might the fact that many of our most vulnerable have already succumbed.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5781 on: May 21, 2020, 12:01:09 PM »
Proposed "new" normal:
-Wear a mask when indoors whenever possible(everyone)
-No gatherings of more than 10 unless outside
-Dining establishments can have outdoor dining with 6ft b/t tables and inside with 9ft of space(which will dictate their capacities not some percentage of standard capacity)
-if you are at risk, advised to remain vigilant and minimize movement
-Covid testing once a week(for a completed test you get $100 dollars)
-Outdoor events/entertainment can resume with 6ft of spacing (lines, seats, etc) ie, concerts at Red Rocks or Summerfest are good to go as long as crowds can be spaced.

What else? Who objects? Reasonable modifications?

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #5782 on: May 21, 2020, 12:02:30 PM »
Interesting hypothesis that I hope proves to be true. It makes sense that everything you mention would bring the fatality rate down. So might the fact that many of our most vulnerable have already succumbed.

Again,  anecdotal but according to my sis it has to do with treatments.  My sister works one day a week as an actual nurse at a separate hospital.  It is a trauma center.  Their improvements has been less but they get the worst cases.  She says the treatments they have now versus March are leading to better outcomes.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5783 on: May 21, 2020, 12:04:05 PM »
Proposed "new" normal:
-Dining establishments can have outdoor dining with 6ft b/t tables and inside with 9ft of space(which will dictate their capacities not some percentage of standard capacity)
-Outdoor events/entertainment can resume with 6ft of spacing (lines, seats, etc) ie, concerts at Red Rocks or Summerfest are good to go as long as crowds can be spaced.

Concerts festivals seem unlikely. Other options are solid not sure how long it lasts once the winter comes restaurants will need to fill more capacity.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5784 on: May 21, 2020, 12:04:12 PM »

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #5785 on: May 21, 2020, 12:04:44 PM »
Proposed "new" normal:

No objections.  Just wonder what all my clients (manufacturers) will do with those limitations.  I don't have the answers but the shop floors/warehousing areas are going to be tricky.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5786 on: May 21, 2020, 12:07:40 PM »
Proposed "new" normal:

Sign me up for everything but the last one.  Seems impossible.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5787 on: May 21, 2020, 12:09:07 PM »
Proposed "new" normal:

Most of these are good, but I think the last one would be impossible to carry out or enforce.
I'd stick with no non-essential gatherings of more than 10 people indoors and 50 people outdoors until development of a vaccine or effective treatment. Maybe willing to make exceptions for necessary workplace events.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5788 on: May 21, 2020, 12:12:28 PM »
Again,  anecdotal but according to my sis it has to do with treatments.  My sister works one day a week as an actual nurse at a separate hospital.  It is a trauma center.  Their improvements has been less but they get the worst cases.  She says the treatments they have now versus March are leading to better outcomes.

Anecdotal if all we’ll have for awhile. Good to hear your sister is seeing better results. Best to her and all of her coworkers - true front line heroes.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #5789 on: May 21, 2020, 12:29:37 PM »
Proposed "new" normal:

So if I'm understanding you correctly, my 15 person office opens back up.  Everyone would be wearing a mask whilst seated at their desks?  (Not trying to be combative, just trying to understand your largely reasonable stances)

And who is going to pay for $100 per test?  I can get tested weekly and make $400 a month?

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #5790 on: May 21, 2020, 12:44:07 PM »
Proposed "new" normal:

So what do you do with fall sports? 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5791 on: May 21, 2020, 12:54:06 PM »
So if I'm understanding you correctly, my 15 person office opens back up.  Everyone would be wearing a mask whilst seated at their desks?  (Not trying to be combative, just trying to understand your largely reasonable stances)

Does the nature of your work require you to be in the office? If so 6ft distance and hand washing wherever possible and masks when distance is allowed. Anyone that can work from home should continue to do so until cure/vaccine. Incidental contact is very low risk, its sustained contact and droplets from talking that are the main risk.

And who is going to pay for $100 per test?  I can get tested weekly and make $400 a month?

Government. We're losing $16 Billion a month in GDP, we can afford to spend some amount of money($100 was lazy, number could be different) to incentivize people to test. If we test once a week and pull those who test positive out of circulation right away, the R0 gets to like 0.4 or less pretty fast

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5792 on: May 21, 2020, 12:59:26 PM »
Does the nature of your work require you to be in the office? If so 6ft distance and hand washing wherever possible and masks when distance is allowed. Anyone that can work from home should continue to do so until cure/vaccine. Incidental contact is very low risk, its sustained contact and droplets from talking that are the main risk.

Government. We're losing $16 Billion a month in GDP, we can afford to spend some amount of money($100 was lazy, number could be different) to incentivize people to test. If we test once a week and pull those who test positive out of circulation right away, the R0 gets to like 0.4 or less pretty fast

Right, and that is proactive rather than reactive.  You reward good actors rather than punish bad actors.  Flies, honey, vinegar.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5793 on: May 21, 2020, 01:00:11 PM »
Right, and that is proactive rather than reactive.  You reward good actors rather than punish bad actors.  Flies, honey, vinegar.

Exactly

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5794 on: May 21, 2020, 01:08:03 PM »
So what do you do with fall sports?

I'd open them with weekly testing for the players and mandatory IR for two weeks with a positive test. I'd also do limited in game attendance based on capacity to keep distance..teams need at least some gate money

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5795 on: May 21, 2020, 01:41:36 PM »
We don't have a monarchy in this country, or a system that allows what you want.  Also, so many here and around the country already call him a dictator and you want to actually give him dictator powers?  Careful what you ask for. 

Besides, what is good for NYC isn't good for North Dakota or Wyoming.  This is why you see so many around the nation upset.

The king reference was solely because I was answering the question that was asked. Flew straight over your head, ai'na?

And FWIW, the CDC is within HHS, which is controlled by a Trump appointee. So yeah - if Trump wanted CDC to do exactly what it was created to do, they would be doing it. It has nothing to do with a dictatorship, and everything to do with a President empowering (or not) one of the Executive Branch agencies to do what it was created for.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #5796 on: May 21, 2020, 03:44:17 PM »
Just saw a PSA in which Nick Saban tells people to wear a mask.  Having sports celebs like that do those in state will create a positive response and can only help

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #5797 on: May 21, 2020, 04:41:27 PM »
Just saw a PSA in which Nick Saban tells people to wear a mask.  Having sports celebs like that do those in state will create a positive response and can only help

If Saban had a PSA that said “if you want to see Bama play this fall, wear a mask. Otherwise there will be no season. Roll Tide”...Alabama would lead the nation in mask wearing with like a 90% compliance rate.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5798 on: May 21, 2020, 05:02:51 PM »

The king reference was solely because I was answering the question that was asked. Flew straight over your head, ai'na?

And FWIW, the CDC is within HHS, which is controlled by a Trump appointee. So yeah - if Trump wanted CDC to do exactly what it was created to do, they would be doing it. It has nothing to do with a dictatorship, and everything to do with a President empowering (or not) one of the Executive Branch agencies to do what it was created for.

Besides HHS, the CDC is also run by a Trump lackey. Part of the reason that the once most respected disease center in the world is making gaffe after gaffe.

Also, Dr. Birx has become a yes-woman for Trump instead of doing her job.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #5799 on: May 21, 2020, 05:45:22 PM »
Also heard AAU hoops tournament is taking place in Florida this weekend.
Temp checks to get in the door if you have a temp you do not get in.  limited amount of spectators will be allowed.  Games played in blocks so once your block is done you leave the gym through a separate area than the entrance