[May 19, 2024, 06:23:47 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Schedule Talk with Mike Broeker by Shooter McGavin
[May 19, 2024, 01:06:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA Tournament Open Thread  (Read 52912 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: NCAA Tournament Open Thread
« Reply #225 on: March 28, 2019, 09:30:51 PM »
Texas Tech/Michigan...woof.

13-10 after fifteen minutes. I thought Bucky lost?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #226 on: March 28, 2019, 10:35:30 PM »
The Hoos grinding it out 30-22 at half.  The tempo is playing into UVA's hands.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #227 on: March 28, 2019, 10:58:23 PM »
Chris Beard should be at a blueblood. I was impressed last year when I went to Phog Allen and watched TT beat Kansas.

Dude can coach.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #228 on: March 29, 2019, 06:31:51 AM »
Chris Beard should be at a blueblood.
UCLA calls, he would go?
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #229 on: March 29, 2019, 07:12:12 AM »
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 07:34:18 AM by Waldo Jeffers »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #230 on: March 29, 2019, 07:21:47 AM »
UCLA calls, he would go?

I'll be interested to see if they do. Howland's firing was more palatable to fans because he played a slower, defensive style that didn't feel like showtime. Beard is a great coach, but I'm not sure he's a good fit at Westwood.

(To be fair, I'm not sure anyone is...)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #231 on: March 29, 2019, 08:14:12 AM »
I think as long as Beard's daughters are in Texas, I don't think he will be leaving for any school outside the area. That could be naive but I believe it in this case. Maybe if a blue blood calls.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #232 on: March 29, 2019, 09:49:30 AM »
That Purdue/Tennessee game was outstanding! Had to be one of the best games all season.
Big shot after big shot. That was the highest level of play in a tourney game yet. Really sad the refs decided the outcome at the end.
No Finish Line

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #233 on: March 29, 2019, 09:51:49 AM »
Big shot after big shot. That was the highest level of play in a tourney game yet. Really sad the refs decided the outcome at the end.

You don’t think that was a foul on the three pointer?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #234 on: March 29, 2019, 09:52:56 AM »
You don’t think that was a foul on the three pointer?
The way Carson put his leg out I would’ve been fine with a no call
No Finish Line

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #235 on: March 29, 2019, 09:53:33 AM »
The way Carson put his leg out I would’ve been fine with a no call

Barnes said it was a foul
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #236 on: March 29, 2019, 09:55:29 AM »
cheeks

Get your comments in quickly before Glow announces this discussion closed.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #237 on: March 29, 2019, 09:56:38 AM »
Barnes said it was a foul
That’s classy of him and he’s not one to whine but Carson did kick his leg out which created contact. I just hate refs deciding a big game like that.
No Finish Line

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #238 on: March 29, 2019, 10:32:29 AM »
I really feel bad for Tennessee.  Three close calls went against them in the final 5 seconds of regulation.

1.  After, the blocked shot it very well could've been ruled Tennessee ball.

2.  Edwards heels may have been out of bounds on the catch but there is not a definitive replay angle.  At least not that I have seen.

3.  The foul call is justifiable but one that could easily be a no call, just like Markus at the end of the Seton Hall game.   Heck, officials let way more contact go at the end of Georgetown when Sam got the ball.  Or the SEC tournament game between Auburn and Florida.

But that is just part of the sports landscape.  Sometimes the close calls go your way, other times they go against you.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #239 on: March 29, 2019, 12:32:51 PM »
I really feel bad for Tennessee.  Three close calls went against them in the final 5 seconds of regulation.

2.  Edwards heels may have been out of bounds on the catch but there is not a definitive replay angle.  At least not that I have seen.

3.  The foul call is justifiable but one that could easily be a no call, just like Markus at the end of the Seton Hall game.   Heck, officials let way more contact go at the end of Georgetown when Sam got the ball.  Or the SEC tournament game between Auburn and Florida.

But that is just part of the sports landscape.  Sometimes the close calls go your way, other times they go against you.
Every shot edwards took i swear he was kicking his feet out

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #240 on: March 29, 2019, 02:12:58 PM »

I disagree with all 3 of your points. I think it was 3 correct calls.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #241 on: March 29, 2019, 02:22:00 PM »
Looked that the correct call was made.
https://twitter.com/GeneSteratore/status/1111457482944274432
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 02:24:49 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #242 on: March 29, 2019, 02:26:13 PM »
I think as long as Beard's daughters are in Texas, I don't think he will be leaving for any school outside the area. That could be naive but I believe it in this case. Maybe if a blue blood calls.

So ... when is Marquette gonna call then?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #243 on: March 29, 2019, 03:44:32 PM »
I disagree with all 3 of your points. I think it was 3 correct calls.

Let me clarify. I have no problem with any of the calls.   Merely stating that there is a gray area of close calls.   

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #244 on: March 29, 2019, 03:55:04 PM »
Looked that the correct call was made.
https://twitter.com/GeneSteratore/status/1111457482944274432
Steratore is a jackass who will always take up for the refs, but I’m glad you posted this. You can really see his leg kick from this angle. I thinks it’s a shame the refs decided the game considering how well played it was. Contact to the head or arm I’d understand. Contact to the lower body after the release with the shooter kicking his leg out? That’s a crock of shiit call
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 03:57:08 PM by NickelDimer »
No Finish Line

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #245 on: March 29, 2019, 04:00:56 PM »
I don't have an issue with the call, but I do think I would have preferred a no call. He absolutely extends the leg and turns the hip while shooting. The defender definitely bumps his leg and hip. If he doesn't extend and turn, does he bump him? I tend to think not. Also, if you pause it at the 2 second mark it looks like his heel is down and out of bounds for a split second.

But it's close enough that I don't really care.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #246 on: March 29, 2019, 04:02:38 PM »
Nm
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 04:24:04 PM by MUeagle1090 »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #247 on: March 29, 2019, 04:07:11 PM »
Steratore is a jackass who will always take up for the refs, but I’m glad you posted this. You can really see his leg kick from this angle. I thinks it’s a shame the refs decided the game considering how well played it was. Contact to the head or arm I’d understand. Contact to the lower body after the release with the shooter kicking his leg out? That’s a crock of shiit call

The refs didn't decide the game.  The Tennessee player did by taking a poor angle and making contact.  Get your hand in his face without contact.  I mean he's falling backwards with his heels over the line.  Don't give the refs a reason to blow the whistle.

Refs deserve a ton of blame in college basketball for general incompetence.  This is not an example of that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #248 on: March 29, 2019, 04:09:43 PM »

The refs didn't decide the game.  The Tennessee player did by taking a poor angle and making contact.  Get your hand in his face without contact.  I mean he's falling backwards with his heels over the line.  Don't give the refs a reason to blow the whistle.

Refs deserve a ton of blame in college basketball for general incompetence.  This is not an example of that.
It’s a non call under the circumstances considering the offensive player initiated the contact.
No Finish Line

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #249 on: March 29, 2019, 04:11:09 PM »
It’s a non call under the circumstances considering the offensive player initiated the contact.

Yeah I don't think so.  He didn't kick his leg out in a manner to get contact.  It was part of the natural motion of a shooter.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow