collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Close to Home Reports  (Read 70014 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Close to Home Reports
« Reply #525 on: December 16, 2020, 11:39:12 AM »

Hope your parents don’t test positive... and take the scare as encouragement to wear masks and get vaccinated.

Thanks! Both signed up for the vaccine test groups months ago so they'll definitely go through with vaccination. 

The frustrating part for my sister and me is that both are retired medical professionals (doctor and nurse) and my mom has let her blind loyalty to Trump impact her views on masks.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #526 on: December 16, 2020, 02:13:16 PM »
Thanks! Both signed up for the vaccine test groups months ago so they'll definitely go through with vaccination. 

The frustrating part for my sister and me is that both are retired medical professionals (doctor and nurse) and my mom has let her blind loyalty to Trump impact her views on masks.

There are groups out there that do cult interventions.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #527 on: December 16, 2020, 02:18:33 PM »
There are groups out there that do cult interventions.

well, my sister said this morning they've moved away from Fox News. Unfortunately, it's to Newsmax.  >:(

But, it was a major wake-up call for my mom, according to my sister (she lives less than 10 minutes away from them), so that's a good thing. Waiting on testing results.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #528 on: December 16, 2020, 03:29:33 PM »
At least it’s not OAN. Newsmax has apparently acknowledged that Biden won.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #529 on: December 16, 2020, 04:15:23 PM »
well, my sister said this morning they've moved away from Fox News. Unfortunately, it's to Newsmax.  >:(

But, it was a major wake-up call for my mom, according to my sister (she lives less than 10 minutes away from them), so that's a good thing. Waiting on testing results.

Parental block their TV channels  ;D

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #530 on: December 17, 2020, 01:29:51 PM »

You have my sympathies. I have a similar.sister. Religion and trump.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #531 on: December 18, 2020, 12:01:56 PM »
My cousin's father-in-law died today of COVID after 5 days in the hospital.

Interesting family, emigrated from Iraq 50+ years ago, a Chaldean (Iraqi Catholic.)

We had dinner with them every Dec 26th for the past decade.  In normal times, we would have seen him next Saturday.

.. he'd talk your ear off about life in Iraq, Iran, the Shah.  Their old family land.   He was Jesuit educated .. admittedly, I could only understand 80% of his words, but now I'm mad I can't remember which school.   (Edit: Baghdad College, Jesuit)

He was an American immigrant success story, raising three great kids and starting a small, successful business. 

He's the first person our family has lost due to Covid.   :(
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 05:34:56 PM by mu_hilltopper »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #532 on: December 18, 2020, 01:03:46 PM »

Interesting family, emigrated from Iraq 50+ years ago, a Chaldean (Iraqi Catholic.)

We had dinner with them every Dec 26th for the past decade.  In normal times, we would have seen him next Saturday.

.. he'd talk your ear off about life in Iraq, Iran, the Shah.  Their old family land.   He was Jesuit educated .. admittedly, I could only understand 80% of his words, but now I'm mad I can't remember which school. 

He was an American immigrant success story, raising three great kids and starting a small, successful business. 

Very sorry, topper.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #533 on: December 18, 2020, 01:11:11 PM »
My sympathies to your family.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #534 on: December 18, 2020, 01:43:02 PM »

.. he'd talk your ear off about life in Iraq, Iran, the Shah.  Their old family land.   He was Jesuit educated .. admittedly, I could only understand 80% of his words, but now I'm mad I can't remember which school. 

Sorry to hear topper.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #535 on: December 18, 2020, 04:00:29 PM »

Here's to hoping that he's the last.
Ludum habemus.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #536 on: December 18, 2020, 04:24:40 PM »
Just got word a buddy of mine passed last night from Covid. First person I personally knew to die from it. He first got Covid mid November, seemed to have recovered, and late Wednesday night had trouble breathing and was admitted to intensive care. He was 50 years old, with a wife and two young kids left behind.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #537 on: December 18, 2020, 04:48:30 PM »
Just got word a buddy of mine passed last night from Covid. First person I personally knew to die from it. He first got Covid mid November, seemed to have recovered, and late Wednesday night had trouble breathing and was admitted to intensive care. He was 50 years old, with a wife and two young kids left behind.

Very sorry to hear, Dish. It must be especially jolting that he seemed to have recovered, and then was gone in a couple of days.

Covid sucks.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #538 on: December 18, 2020, 04:54:36 PM »
Our outside IT person was in today and he was spouting the COVID is like flu BS and I was trying to keep from throwing something at him.

What's even more bizarre is he is the Grand Master of the Masonic lodge in New Haven and he's the biggest conspiracy theorist I've ever met.  Which seems backwards.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #539 on: December 18, 2020, 05:30:42 PM »
Prayers for all.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #540 on: December 18, 2020, 08:12:29 PM »

Sorry to hear Dish.  Neighbor's friend is fortunately ok, but similar story.  He was in the hospital in late November and basically was told "you're good enough to go home - but take care of yourself because we can't guarantee there will be a spot for you if you have to come back".  Fortunately he's been ok so far.  But 1) be thankful for every day 2) don't pass judgment unless you've stepped in those shoes.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #541 on: December 20, 2020, 12:00:28 PM »
Guy I worked with for many years lost his wife last night. She had battled  many health issues for years, and ultimately contracted it in a rehab facility.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #542 on: December 21, 2020, 10:28:22 PM »
I have friends whose parents are in assisted living. Mom is 88 and Dad is 92. I am close to them as well.

They have literally not left their apartment since early March. They visit their family by waving from their balcony. Anything their family brings to them is disinfected and quarantined for 48 hours. Their facility was one of the few that managed to escape earlier outbreaks.

This week they both were diagnosed with Covid-19. Mom was in the hospital briefly and released today.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #543 on: December 21, 2020, 10:57:40 PM »
I have friends whose parents are in assisted living. Mom is 88 and Dad is 92. I am close to them as well.

They have literally not left their apartment since early March. They visit their family by waving from their balcony. Anything their family brings to them is disinfected and quarantined for 48 hours. Their facility was one of the few that managed to escape earlier outbreaks.

This week they both were diagnosed with Covid-19. Mom was in the hospital briefly and released today.

I feel bad for anyone who gets Covid-19, but my heart especially goes out to those at at-risk people who do all the right things and still get it. I hope for the best for your friends’ parents.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #544 on: December 26, 2020, 04:57:33 PM »
Didn’t want to clutter the Vaccine/Antibody thread with this, but just got my antibody test at Metro Market/Pick N Save....and I’m positive for IgG antibodies.

So in the bizarre world of COVID transmission. My GF who Ive lived with since this began and share a bedroom with had a significant case in June and I both tested negative for COVID in the days following her diagnosis as well as negative for antibodies about 6 weeks later.

Now, 5 months later, with no sickness other than a cold 1-2 months ago with no noticeable COVID-like symptoms, I apparently had an asymptomatic case and now have antibodies. Wild stuff.

Related, HIGHLY recommend the test. $25, results in 15 min, easy peasy.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #545 on: December 26, 2020, 05:52:11 PM »
Didn’t want to clutter the Vaccine/Antibody thread with this, but just got my antibody test at Metro Market/Pick N Save....and I’m positive for IgG antibodies.

So in the bizarre world of COVID transmission. My GF who Ive lived with since this began and share a bedroom with had a significant case in June and I both tested negative for COVID in the days following her diagnosis as well as negative for antibodies about 6 weeks later.

Now, 5 months later, with no sickness other than a cold 1-2 months ago with no noticeable COVID-like symptoms, I apparently had an asymptomatic case and now have antibodies. Wild stuff.

Related, HIGHLY recommend the test. $25, results in 15 min, easy peasy.

Curious.  Do you know if your test was one of the antigen/quick tests or PCR?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #546 on: December 26, 2020, 06:06:25 PM »
Curious.  Do you know if your test was one of the antigen/quick tests or PCR?

It’s the Assure IgG/IgM Rapid Test

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #547 on: December 26, 2020, 07:41:31 PM »
It’s the Assure IgG/IgM Rapid Test

Thanks that’s good to know.  Was curious about the virus test though that came up negative. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #548 on: December 26, 2020, 10:05:45 PM »
Thanks that’s good to know.  Was curious about the virus test though that came up negative.

Oh apologies, the original COVID test was PCR

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #549 on: January 01, 2021, 03:10:38 PM »
Fun update, so as I mentioned, I received a positive antibody test last week. Well my GF went to visit her sister (since she had antibodies and her sister was ok with it as a result).  They went together to get yet another antibody test as her sister was interested having been exposed to a number of COVID extended family members in a clusterf*** of a situation back around the Jewish High Holidays. So they went to a nearby diagnostic center there and did the test...my GF tested positive for not only the IgG antibodies, but also the IgM.  From what I understand, there is very little evidence of proof of the IgM antibodies lasting more than around 2 months post infection. Given she initially tested positive in early July, that would mean she contracted it a second time more recently. Likely around the time I must have been infected.  Very interesting and kind of crazy.  She had a rough few days the first go around, but since then she hasn’t even had a cold, much less anything symptomatic

feedback