collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hydroxychloroquinine updates (and other potential treatments)  (Read 126142 times)

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
Re: Hydroxychloroquinine updates (and other potential treatments)
« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2020, 10:16:33 PM »
Evidently having heartburn may help.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/new-york-clinical-trial-quietly-tests-heartburn-remedy-against-coronavirus

New York clinical trial quietly tests heartburn remedy against coronavirus

Nuts. I'm a Prevacid man myself.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #176 on: April 27, 2020, 10:59:48 AM »
This is more about the process to treatment and reopening.  It was an interesting read for those with the Wall Street Journal. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-secret-group-of-scientists-and-billionaires-pushing-trump-on-a-covid-19-plan-11587998993

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #177 on: April 27, 2020, 11:08:11 AM »
This is more about the process to treatment and reopening.  It was an interesting read for those with the Wall Street Journal. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-secret-group-of-scientists-and-billionaires-pushing-trump-on-a-covid-19-plan-11587998993

Yes, this article is true.

Annoying that in the article they refer to the scientists as Mr, including Nobel prize winners.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #178 on: April 27, 2020, 12:56:26 PM »

Annoying that in the article they refer to the scientists as Mr, including Nobel prize winners.

Maybe they did it because some people don't trust scientists.   ;D

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #179 on: April 27, 2020, 01:07:19 PM »

Oh, the humanity.  ::)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #180 on: April 27, 2020, 01:20:35 PM »
Noble prize winners.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #181 on: April 27, 2020, 01:34:50 PM »

They are hoping to have clinical trials completed in a week rather than a year. A recipe for disaster. 

Also they claim they are not political. Hopefully that will be the case, but it’s hard to imagine with some of the people involved.

But I’m willing to give it a chance. Not much else is working and almost anything/ everything is an improvement over the ideas of Trump and Jared. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #182 on: April 27, 2020, 02:25:59 PM »
Closely watched arthritis drug disappoints as a Covid-19 treatment, studies show
https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/27/arthritis-drug-kevzara-disappoints-as-coronavirus-treatment/

"Kevzara was not expected to directly block the coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, that is causing a global pandemic. But it was hoped that the drug would help ease the immune system’s overreaction to the virus — a “cytokine storm” that causes inflammation and fluid buildup in the lungs of many of the sickest patients — potentially helping to keep patients off of ventilators or saving their lives. Early data from a 21-patient study in China using Actemra had appeared promising.

"But there was no benefit in the group of patients most like those in that Chinese study: those termed “severe,” meaning they needed oxygen, but not with air pressure that is faster than normal breathing and certainly not those on ventilators. A 276-patient study in this group was stopped because there was no chance it would succeed.

"There is still a glimmer of a positive result in sicker patients, whom the companies call “critical.” These patients need what is called high-flow oxygen, or are on ventilators. In that group, an extra 1 in 10 patients who received high-dose Kevzara was discharged from the hospital compared to those who received placebo. A larger study is continuing in the hopes of proving this benefit.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #183 on: April 27, 2020, 02:36:35 PM »
Closely watched arthritis drug disappoints as a Covid-19 treatment, studies show

Do you think it would have worked better if they watched it less closely?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #184 on: April 27, 2020, 02:47:20 PM »
Oh, the humanity.  ::)

It's insulting. One of the "Mr's" won a Nobel prize in medicine. None of the doctors listed in that article can claim anywhere near his credentials.

If they want to differentiate them, call them Prof.

Or as a journalist, ask them what they prefer to be called. The journalist did not do so, and arbitrarily chose to call the professors "Mr.". It is unprofessional to do so.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2020, 02:58:02 PM »
It's insulting. One of the "Mr's" won a Nobel prize in medicine. None of the doctors listed in that article can claim anywhere near his credentials.

Or as a journalist, ask them what they prefer to be called. The journalist did not do so, and arbitrarily chose to call the professors "Mr.". It is unprofessional to do so.

I'm confused about what they should be called.
It's AP style to refer to only medical doctors as "Dr." 
No newspapers that I'm aware of use "Prof." or "Professor" as a title beyond first reference. It's certainly not AP style to do so. The NYT and WSJ are about major publications these days that still use Mr., Ms., or Mrs.
So really, not only is it not unprofessional, but it's in keeping with the profession's guidelines.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2020, 03:02:06 PM »

It has nothing to do with the journalists decision - it's their editorial style.  From what I understand, WSJ style no longer uses Dr..  Just Mr. and Ms. depending on their gender.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2020, 03:41:41 PM »
It's my opinion that  anyone that gets hung up on their own title needs to get over themselves.  That's different than taking exception to intentionally derogatory titles...

It's also my opinion, that a 3rd party getting upset about someone's title is positively a waste of time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #188 on: April 27, 2020, 03:52:41 PM »
It's my opinion that  anyone that gets hung up on their own title needs to get over themselves.  That's different than taking exception to intentionally derogatory titles...

It's also my opinion, that a 3rd party getting upset about someone's title is positively a waste of time.

Easy for you to say, Dr. Dopey!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2020, 04:02:43 PM »

People call Jill Biden "Dr Biden", and Whoopi wants her to be the surgeon general.   This helps remove confusion and embarrassment.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2020, 04:17:05 PM »
People call Jill Biden "Dr Biden", and Whoopi wants her to be the surgeon general.   This helps remove confusion and embarrassment.

I could be wrong but aren't people with PHDs supposed to be called Dr?
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2020, 04:35:15 PM »
I could be wrong but aren't people with PHDs supposed to be called Dr?

Right. But they’re not qualified to be surgeon general.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2020, 07:31:22 PM »

You know, its pretty easy to admit the guy is a total idiot, and not defend him with some whataboutism.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2020, 08:16:01 PM »
It's my opinion that  anyone that gets hung up on their own title needs to get over themselves.  T

Um, that is Lord pbiflyer to you, sir!

Become a Lord or Lady Today!
https://establishedtitles.com

Lordship & Ladyship Title Packs

Purchase a personal Lordship or Ladyship Title Pack with dedicated land in West Scotland

Each pack contains:

One square foot of dedicated land on a private estate in Galloway, Scotland and a printable certificate with a crest,

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #194 on: April 28, 2020, 08:12:44 AM »
This is a weird thing to fight about.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #195 on: April 28, 2020, 08:36:55 AM »
You know, its pretty easy to admit the guy is a total idiot, and not defend him with some whataboutism.

On the subject of whataboutism, what the heck is your post supposed to be about?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #196 on: April 28, 2020, 08:43:58 AM »

It is my opinion that your opinion is 100% correct.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #197 on: April 28, 2020, 11:04:34 AM »
On the subject of whataboutism, what the heck is your post supposed to be about?

I think hards is calling forgetful an idiot.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #198 on: April 28, 2020, 11:46:27 AM »
I was fine just dropping this, but apparently, I'm now being called an "idiot" by others, so here is why this bothers me.

First, I don't care about my own title, I let people call me whatever they wish. It is not important to me. But to most, Mr. is intentionally derogatory, they could have went with a title, like Dr. or Prof. that correctly references their achievements, or they could have used no title at all. Mr. is intentionally disregarding their achievements and is by many, considered intentionally disrespectful, especially when Dr. is used for the MDs.

The reason it is annoying right now is we are in a time period where we need honest discussion about science. What we are getting is every Tom, Dick, and Francis stating "science" proves their stance, and that they are scientists, despite no advanced training in any fields, simply because they have a BS. They are neither accurately reporting the science, or critically evaluating it.

We have medical Dr's, misreporting science, or making scientifically incorrect conclusions, and using their title as "authority." And people following them, because, hey, they are called Dr, despite the fact that they have no training or expertise in the area they are claiming authority in.

We then have people disregarding the expertise of people who have spent their lives studying the exact subject area, that are Dr's and Prof's, in these areas. They are not trusted then, because they are just a "Mr". We are disregarding science left and right, and part of that is we are not placing the scientists in a respected and trusted light.

I know some of the people listed in that article, and they are also irritated by the lack of trust/respect being given to the scientists, and the degree to which their knowledge is being ignored by decision makers in the WH, because of some idea of scientists not being "trustable," or as knowledgable as that coming from MDs or being rich.

The idea that if they were actually smart, they'd be rich like MD's and CEOs, is a large guiding force in decisions right now.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 12:19:04 PM by forgetful »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #199 on: April 28, 2020, 01:19:45 PM »
I was fine just dropping this, but apparently, I'm now being called an "idiot" by others, so here is why this bothers me.

First, I don't care about my own title, I let people call me whatever they wish. It is not important to me. But to most, Mr. is intentionally derogatory, they could have went with a title, like Dr. or Prof. that correctly references their achievements, or they could have used no title at all. Mr. is intentionally disregarding their achievements and is by many, considered intentionally disrespectful, especially when Dr. is used for the MDs.

The reason it is annoying right now is we are in a time period where we need honest discussion about science. What we are getting is every Tom, Dick, and Francis stating "science" proves their stance, and that they are scientists, despite no advanced training in any fields, simply because they have a BS. They are neither accurately reporting the science, or critically evaluating it.

We have medical Dr's, misreporting science, or making scientifically incorrect conclusions, and using their title as "authority." And people following them, because, hey, they are called Dr, despite the fact that they have no training or expertise in the area they are claiming authority in.

We then have people disregarding the expertise of people who have spent their lives studying the exact subject area, that are Dr's and Prof's, in these areas. They are not trusted then, because they are just a "Mr". We are disregarding science left and right, and part of that is we are not placing the scientists in a respected and trusted light.

I know some of the people listed in that article, and they are also irritated by the lack of trust/respect being given to the scientists, and the degree to which their knowledge is being ignored by decision makers in the WH, because of some idea of scientists not being "trustable," or as knowledgable as that coming from MDs or being rich.

The idea that if they were actually smart, they'd be rich like MD's and CEOs, is a large guiding force in decisions right now.