collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129832 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #5825 on: May 21, 2020, 09:00:24 PM »
For someone you proclaim to loathe, you are pretty obsessed with him.

Does the president affect your life that much?

Let’s see. Record unemployment, tanking stocks, economy shut down. Um yeah.
Hopefully you really meant to post that in teal.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5826 on: May 21, 2020, 09:02:48 PM »
The 1969 Pandemic that killed more than a million globally and 100,000+ in the United States.  The Hong Kong flu.  My dad had it and we was extremely sick.

It barely made the news.  We did almost nothing, life went on as normal.  Contrast that to today.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/16/why-life-went-on-as-normal-during-the-killer-pandemic-of-1969/

Woodstock was in full bloom
No school closings
Shamu was ill with the virus

Those of you old enough to remember might enjoy this read.  I was a teen still and other than my dad having the flu, it didn't register.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5827 on: May 21, 2020, 09:13:35 PM »
Very liberal of you.

You continue to equate liberal with a party, which is wrong.  Why do you do that?  Many moderates out there or even people that have opposite positions than their party line.
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5828 on: May 21, 2020, 09:20:27 PM »
do you think we should not have any speed limits because death is inevitable?

Do you think we should not have drunk driving laws because crashes occur anyway?

We tolerate 40,000 auto fatalities a year in this country as a cost of doing business.  We have laws in place so that number isn't 60,000 or 80,000.  We can be practical and do the same for this virus to protect the most vulnerable. 

I'm old, my earnings curve is ending and tied to dividends and interest.  For many of you and for my kids (in their 20's and early 30's), this has implications that I don't think you all grasp to the fullest extent in my opinion.  If you are infected between 18 to 44 years old, less than 1% need hospitalization and less than 0.1% die.  Those odds are lower than things we allow freely to happen to those age groups every day in this country. 
— Plato

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5829 on: May 21, 2020, 09:22:11 PM »

::) ::) ::)

I bet you were an "Obama's ecomony" guy until January.  :o :o

You used to be rational, dont know what happened to you.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 09:28:18 PM by ZiggysFryBoy »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5830 on: May 21, 2020, 09:27:45 PM »
We tolerate 40,000 auto fatalities a year in this country as a cost of doing business.  We have laws in place so that number isn't 60,000 or 80,000.  We can be practical and do the same for this virus to protect the most vulnerable. 

I'm old, my earnings curve is ending and tied to dividends and interest.  For many of you and for my kids (in their 20's and early 30's), this has implications that I don't think you all grasp to the fullest extent in my opinion.  If you are infected between 18 to 44 years old, less than 1% need hospitalization and less than 0.1% die.  Those odds are lower than things we allow freely to happen to those age groups every day in this country.

And then what happens to those parents or coworkers of the 18-44 year olds who are over 60 and contract it from the 1844 year olds we let run around and get it?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5831 on: May 21, 2020, 09:28:14 PM »
They’re also a weak indicator since everyone with a fever doesn’t have COVID.

True, but given the current chaotic state of the world, that seems like a limitation worth living with.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5832 on: May 21, 2020, 09:29:57 PM »
You must have an alert for every time I post - you respond almost immediately as a rule. Meanwhile, you still haven’t answered Eng’s question. If you had I wouldn’t have made my admittedly snarky post.

I responded 49 minutes after your post. That’s “almost immediately?” Lol. What does that make your response, 18 minutes after mine?

To answer Eng’s post, if I were king of the world for a day I’d ask Blake Snell what he’d do and take his advice.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 09:33:35 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #5833 on: May 21, 2020, 09:33:28 PM »

You’re seriously suggesting the current economic environment is the fault of Trump?  Never let a crisis go to waste I suppose.  And it’s beyond reason and a miracle the markets have hung on as well as they have considering our economy has all but shut down for two months.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5834 on: May 21, 2020, 09:35:20 PM »

And this completely misses the point of why social distancing is recommended. It's not about what happens to the people between 18-44, it's about what happens to the people they come into contact with. One of the biggest trigger factors for potential severe cases is age 50+. So if those 18-44 year old people come into contact with anyone who is immunocompromised, has diabetes, asthma, other respiratory conditions, or is 50+ years old, they are considered high risk.

It's just like wearing the mask. You don't wear a mask to protect yourself, you wear it to protect others because carriers can be asymptomatic and transmitting the disease for days before they even experience the first signs of disease.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5835 on: May 21, 2020, 09:41:19 PM »
And it’s beyond reason and a miracle the markets have hung on as well as they have considering our economy has all but shut down for two months.

It's not a miracle. It is called the Feds printing money to buy securities and place a backstop on the economy. Trillions in securities bought so that there was less risk of corporate bankruptcies, and no other place to put money that could generate any sort of return.

The economy is dismal. The market is absurdly overpriced, and expensive. It is because of fed actions. Actions that eventually have to be undone. At some point, we will pay the price.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5836 on: May 21, 2020, 09:47:47 PM »
It's not a miracle. It is called the Feds printing money to buy securities and place a backstop on the economy. Trillions in securities bought so that there was less risk of corporate bankruptcies, and no other place to put money that could generate any sort of return.

The economy is dismal. The market is absurdly overpriced, and expensive. It is because of fed actions. Actions that eventually have to be undone. At some point, we will pay the price.

Where is the Tea Party to be outraged by the Fed's fenagling and the multi-trillion-dollar deficit spending? Where is Joe Wilson to stand up when President Pandemic is stumbling his way through a teleprompter speech to shout, "You lie!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5837 on: May 21, 2020, 09:51:46 PM »
The 1969 Pandemic that killed more than a million globally and 100,000+ in the United States.  The Hong Kong flu.  My dad had it and we was extremely sick.

It barely made the news.  We did almost nothing, life went on as normal.  Contrast that to today.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/16/why-life-went-on-as-normal-during-the-killer-pandemic-of-1969/

No school closings

Those of you old enough to remember might enjoy this read.  I was a teen still and other than my dad having the flu, it didn't register.

Interesting article. That pandemic hit the US in my second semester junior year and returned my first semester senior year. Although many died, life went on. Vietnam Nam, LBJ abdicating, Gene McCarthy and the children’s crusade, Chicago Democratic Convention, the Miracle Mets, etc., we’re big stories. The Hong Kong flu was a footnote in comparison.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5838 on: May 21, 2020, 10:07:09 PM »
You’re seriously suggesting the current economic environment is the fault of Trump?  Never let a crisis go to waste I suppose.  And it’s beyond reason and a miracle the markets have hung on as well as they have considering our economy has all but shut down for two months.

+1

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #5839 on: May 21, 2020, 10:11:20 PM »
It is not hero worshiping, it is acknowledging what they did and I doubt any future generation in this country will ever do again.  It is my opinion and memorialized by properly for people that have come later who have little idea the gravity of the situation or the sacrifice people made then.  No idea.
So you're close to 80? You were alive then? And remember no one in the US wanted part of that war at all. It took an attack on US soil. Else the US was not going to war and that generation was fine with that. We were not going to war to save anyone except ourselves.
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #5840 on: May 21, 2020, 10:15:55 PM »

This is very Chicos of you
Goal is National Championship

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5841 on: May 21, 2020, 10:20:19 PM »

No school closings

There were somewhere between 34,000-100,000 deaths from the 1968-70 flu, depending on what CDC source you look at. The 1968 pandemic is known as having a significantly lower mortality than most flu pandemics. Maybe that is why there weren't major restrictions.

That means that over a 2-year time period, with no quarantines, anything, there were less deaths than we've seen in about 3-months of the coronavirus.

And Woodstock was in August. It wasn't during a pandemic. It wasn't even flu season.

If we take the 34,000 deaths from 1968-70, that would be 17,000 deaths per year, and below average for the flu.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:24:26 PM by forgetful »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #5842 on: May 21, 2020, 10:25:12 PM »
Where is the Tea Party to be outraged by the Fed's fenagling and the multi-trillion-dollar deficit spending? Where is Joe Wilson to stand up when President Pandemic is stumbling his way through a teleprompter speech to shout, "You lie!"

Mike, man to man, can we stop the “President Pandemic” nonsense? The partisan nature of all of this is unavoidable and I can accept that, but that’s as annoying and distracting as people calling him Cheeto Man or other stuff on Twitter. I know it’s meant to rile a certain sect up, but you’re better than that  8-)

Speaking of the HK Flu, amazed how well they’ve handled this. But I suppose they are experts in infectious disease combat by this point. Plus it unintentionally quelled all the protest chaos

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5843 on: May 21, 2020, 10:35:35 PM »
Mike, man to man, can we stop the “President Pandemic” nonsense? The partisan nature of all of this is unavoidable and I can accept that, but that’s as annoying and distracting as people calling him Cheeto Man or other stuff on Twitter. I know it’s meant to rile a certain sect up, but you’re better than that  8-)

Speaking of the HK Flu, amazed how well they’ve handled this. But I suppose they are experts in infectious disease combat by this point. Plus it unintentionally quelled all the protest chaos

Sad thing is, he's proven over and over and over again that Mr. Blogger is not better than that.  He's a 60 year old child.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 11:04:01 PM by ZiggysFryBoy »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #5844 on: May 21, 2020, 10:40:50 PM »
::) ::) ::)

I bet you were an "Obama's ecomony" guy until January.  :o :o

You used to be rational, dont know what happened to you.
No, I thought the economy was artificially propped up by a trillion dollar a year addition to the deficit should be better than it was when we were actually reducing the deficit.

But are you seriously saying the actions of trump doesn’t impact  your life?

Are you part of the trump tells it like it is guy or you have to understand what he means not what he says guy or a fine people on both sides guy or a build the wall and Mexico is going to pay for it guy or a lock her up for a private server even though ivanka is doing the same thing it’s different guy?

So hard to keep up these days.

I’m more of a wwjd guy.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #5845 on: May 21, 2020, 10:45:31 PM »

Nuts to that. Bush proved during 9/11 that the bar for showing leadership in a crisis isn't very high. You stand up there, say "the only thing to fear is fear itself" and a few other  inspirational things, and make everyone feel a little better. Trump has proven to be totally incapable of doing even that. Its not his fault, he accepts no responsibility, everyone is out to get him,  Joe Scarborough is guilty of murder and Obama is a traitor. Guy can't even put on a mask.

Four Americans died at Benghazi and the Republicans treated it like Pearl Harbor and 9/11 combined. But 100,000 dead and 320 million unemployed and this fellow is upset because somebody called Trump a nasty name.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:47:19 PM by Mutaman »

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #5846 on: May 21, 2020, 10:46:36 PM »

Of course the economy is in shambles, how could it not be?  To suggest that’s anyone’s fault is what I disagree with.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5847 on: May 21, 2020, 11:05:30 PM »
No, I thought the economy was artificially propped up by a trillion dollar a year addition to the deficit should be better than it was when we were actually reducing the deficit.

But are you seriously saying the actions of trump doesn’t impact  your life?

Are you part of the trump tells it like it is guy or you have to understand what he means not what he says guy or a fine people on both sides guy or a build the wall and Mexico is going to pay for it guy or a lock her up for a private server even though ivanka is doing the same thing it’s different guy?

So hard to keep up these days.

I’m more of a wwjd guy.

No.

Wait, my taxes went down.  I think about that sometimes.

WWJD?  What would Joe do? 

Sniff hair and grope minors.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #5848 on: May 21, 2020, 11:21:25 PM »
No.

Wait, my taxes went down.  I think about that sometimes.

WWJD?  What would Joe do? 

Sniff hair and grope minors.

This election isn't about Joe, but I know one thing: he won't be talking about bloodlines.
https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-praises-henry-fords-good-bloodlines-at-michigan-ppe-event-2020-5

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #5849 on: May 22, 2020, 05:03:14 AM »

No school closings

Every pandemic is different.  Comparing this to 1969 is irrelevant
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback