collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129865 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #5575 on: May 19, 2020, 02:45:45 PM »
After seeing the way posters here and many media outlets have weaponized the death toll to induce panic/fear, yes I think a more accurate accounting of Covid deaths is important.

It's disgusting how the media are making such a big deal about 91,000 dead in less than three months.
#justtheflu

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5576 on: May 19, 2020, 02:46:06 PM »
After seeing the way posters here and many media outlets have weaponized the death toll to induce panic/fear, yes I think a more accurate accounting of Covid deaths is important.

People aren't weaponizing the death toll. They are trying to accurately portray the state of COVID infections.

But, so you agree that the actions taken by Pennsylvania and Colorado to decrease deaths, and in turn intentionally undercount COVID deaths, due to political reasons was a terrible idea.

And that an accurate accounting of deaths, by including probable cases is the right thing to do.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5577 on: May 19, 2020, 02:49:21 PM »
People aren't weaponizing the death toll. They are trying to accurately portray the state of COVID infections.

But, so you agree that the actions taken by Pennsylvania and Colorado to decrease deaths, and in turn intentionally undercount COVID deaths, due to political reasons was a terrible idea.

And that an accurate accounting of deaths, by including probable cases is the right thing to do.

Pakuni, in the post right above you, is weaponized the death toll.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5578 on: May 19, 2020, 02:52:03 PM »

Not really.  It was a snarky comment.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #5579 on: May 19, 2020, 02:54:08 PM »

Haha

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5580 on: May 19, 2020, 02:54:32 PM »
Not really.  It was a snarky comment.

Considering who the poster is, it's not snark.  He's the smartest one here and only speaks facts. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5581 on: May 19, 2020, 02:55:59 PM »
Thou shall not question the well read blogger.

Said nobody. Especially me.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #5582 on: May 19, 2020, 02:59:34 PM »

If they adjusted it down purely for political reasons then I think that’s a terrible idea.  Not sure how two D governors adjusted their death number down because of political pressure from members in a minority party with historically low approval numbers but if that’s your take have at it.

I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt that maybe they are just trying to give a more accurate count.  Would be interesting if states could/would list out actual deaths and then a number for “probable” deaths.

• All American
« Reply #5583 on: May 19, 2020, 03:01:41 PM »
Considering who the poster is, it's not snark.  He's the smartest one here and only speaks facts. 

Actually Pakuni is pretty level headed.  And hyperbole only shows how weak your statement is.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #5584 on: May 19, 2020, 03:02:36 PM »

And the rest of us just vote for trump cus he don’t use no big words.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5585 on: May 19, 2020, 03:06:33 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5586 on: May 19, 2020, 03:09:14 PM »
Facts are now 'weaponized'.   Think about that for a minute.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5587 on: May 19, 2020, 03:09:38 PM »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5588 on: May 19, 2020, 03:10:15 PM »

That same attitude shouldn’t just be reserved for Fauci, Cuomo, and the 100s of other people who can look back wishing to change a thing or two in their local response to Covid.  Trump has been far from perfect in this but he seems to be the only one where perfection is expected and anything short of that makes his handling of this a complete failure

Nobody expects perfection from Trump. Quite the contrary; at this point, most would be happy with competence, humanity and a willingness to admit when he was wrong. Regrettably, he falls short even of these modest expectations.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5589 on: May 19, 2020, 03:14:33 PM »

I love the idea that no one can ever make a mistake or revisit a position based on new information.  And if they do, that means that everything they have ever said previously is therefore invalid.

Absolutely.  In addition, if you admit you were wrong about something, you are now wrong about everything forever.  We are rigid beings who can not make mistakes, admit the mistakes we make, nor accept mistakes from others.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 03:18:20 PM by Hards_Alumni »

pacearrow02

• Starter

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #5591 on: May 19, 2020, 03:18:02 PM »
Facts are now 'weaponized'.   Think about that for a minute.

I guess that’s the root of the issue....the number that’s being reported might not actually be very factual.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5592 on: May 19, 2020, 03:19:57 PM »
If they adjusted it down purely for political reasons then I think that’s a terrible idea.  Not sure how two D governors adjusted their death number down because of political pressure from members in a minority party with historically low approval numbers but if that’s your take have at it.

I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt that maybe they are just trying to give a more accurate count.  Would be interesting if states could/would list out actual deaths and then a number for “probable” deaths.

There are things called elections. This is an election year. Pennsylvania and Colorado are competitive states. Outside money and influences were using the "deaths number" as a rallying cry to bring in more money for the GOP cause. Changing the numbers, negates that rallying cry.

There was already data showing those states were actually undercounting. Reducing the number of deaths deliberately exacerbates that problem.

I guess that’s the root of the issue....the number that’s being reported might not actually be very factual.

You are right. The data shows that we are undercounting the number of deaths.

• All American
« Reply #5593 on: May 19, 2020, 03:20:30 PM »

If anything, it is underreported.  Those who have increased it, are actually following federal guidelines.

And then there is this.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/05/19/florida-covid-19-coronavirus-data-researcher-out-state-reopens/5218897002/?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 03:26:06 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5594 on: May 19, 2020, 03:41:13 PM »

If anything, it is underreported.  Those who have increased it, are actually following federal guidelines.

And then there is this.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/05/19/florida-covid-19-coronavirus-data-researcher-out-state-reopens/5218897002/?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot

That's one of the sadder (non-death or non-sickness) articles I've read since this whole thing started. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5595 on: May 19, 2020, 03:54:44 PM »
It might be off by a fraction of a percent nationwide.   But right now, an entire defense is being mounted on the notion that a few hundred deaths nationwide might possibly only have COVID as a secondary reason, that even though the patient had COVID, something else killed them.   And a few death certificates out of 90k (and rising) is somehow proof of conspiracy.    What a crock.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #5596 on: May 19, 2020, 03:58:59 PM »
That same attitude shouldn’t just be reserved for Fauci, Cuomo, and the 100s of other people who can look back wishing to change a thing or two in their local response to Covid.  Trump has been far from perfect in this but he seems to be the only one where perfection is expected and anything short of that makes his handling of this a complete failure. 

Everyone said from day 1 he should listen to the scientists.  Ironically, I think the biggest mistake he made was, from day 1 he was listening ONLY to his scientists.
Cuomo, DeWine, Hogan, Newsom and the like didn't get high marks because they were perfect, they got high marks because they took it seriously, worked very hard to protect their citizens, showed empathy, accepted responsibility, and attempted to follow scientific and medical advice.

Similarly, Trump wasn't a failure because he wasn't perfect, he was a failure because he did pretty much the opposite of what the governors above did. He didn't take it seriously, tried to downplay it, wasted 8 weeks playing golf and holding rallies, refused to take any responsibility, blamed anyone and everyone besides himself, told states they were on their own, and when a scientific plan was finally outlined he wasted no time immediately undermining it with "LIBERATE!" tweets.

The President of the United States should be held to a higher standard than Governors as he has the full power of the national government behind him. However, even if we hold him to the same standard, he was an abject failure.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5597 on: May 19, 2020, 04:04:03 PM »
It might be off by a fraction of a percent nationwide.   But right now, an entire defense is being mounted on the notion that a few hundred deaths nationwide might possibly only have COVID as a secondary reason, that even though the patient had COVID, something else killed them.   And a few death certificates out of 90k (and rising) is somehow proof of conspiracy.    What a crock.

Yep. I mean, even if you and I had the authority to say, "You know what, Trumpsters ... you're right! Deaths have been over-reported by 10%!" ... that means there still have been 80K COVID-19 deaths in just a few months.

Heck, even if they have been over-reported by 25%, it's still nearly 70K deaths.

IMHO, based on everything I have read and heard, death totals have been under-reported, and probably significantly so. But yes, even if they had been over-reported by 10% or 15% or 25%, it's still a tragic number of deaths.

Talk about a ridiculous talking point for some supporters of President Pandemic to keep harping on.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #5598 on: May 19, 2020, 04:19:36 PM »
Yep. I mean, even if you and I had the authority to say, "You know what, Trumpsters ... you're right! Deaths have been over-reported by 10%!" ... that means there still have been 80K COVID-19 deaths in just a few months.

Heck, even if they have been over-reported by 25%, it's still nearly 70K deaths.

IMHO, based on everything I have read and heard, death totals have been under-reported, and probably significantly so. But yes, even if they had been over-reported by 10% or 15% or 25%, it's still a tragic number of deaths.

Talk about a ridiculous talking point for some supporters of President Pandemic to keep harping on.

Not sure about others but as I stated the accurate reporting of deaths I feel is important so the public can weigh risk/reward and accurate mortality rate by age group, etc.

Nothing to do with Trumps handling of it.  You’re right whether it’s 60K deaths or 100K deaths everyone has their opinion of his handling already locked in but having an accurate number will hopefully lead to
More informed decision making at local levels on when/how to reopen.

Also if it’s closer to 60K deaths as opposed to 100K then You could argue #itsjusttheflu

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #5599 on: May 19, 2020, 04:30:48 PM »

Also if it’s closer to 60K deaths as opposed to 100K then You could argue #itsjusttheflu

Do you really suspect over counting by 50%?