collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129796 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #1825 on: March 19, 2020, 07:28:38 PM »
From the NYT:

Don’t forget Mr. Romney was the candidate who argued in 2012 that 47 percent of Americans were effectively government parasites, looking for “big gifts” and “free stuff.” He famously argued against the bailout of the auto industry in an Op-Ed titled “Let Detroit Go Bankrupt.”

Now he’s handing out cash.

Good.  He has a brain and realizes that this situation dictates a different response.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1826 on: March 19, 2020, 07:33:12 PM »
Oof. Are you under quarantine?

Was at the office Monday, working from home since. Have made quick Target runs, etc through yesterday. Even got a haircut yesterday just AFTER they were “shut down”.

With the positive case in my building, my plan is to stay put. Might** drive out to my townhome where I have a thermometer just do I can better monitor myself.., but otherwise, should be able to just be in the apartment 24/7.

If I go out I’m getting near NO ONE. I think restrictions are gonna get waaay tighter in the coming days.

Whoever has it at my address better keep their ass in their apartment.., but truth we probably all should. Ugh
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1827 on: March 19, 2020, 07:42:48 PM »
California health officials estimate half their population, 25.5 million people, could be infected in the next 2 months. I've been skeptical of projections this whole time, but this one strikes me as borderline irresponsible. Maybe an attempt to get disproportionate federal aid? I have a hard time believing that California officials truly believe it's likely that their state will represent a more than 100x increase in cases in just 8 weeks.

https://abc7.com/6028718/

The only thing I can guess, is that they have survey tests out and are realizing that their testing program is missing like 90% of the cases, so that there are a lot of cases out there multiplying.

Otherwise I agree, a bit irresponsible as it creates unnecessary hysteria.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1828 on: March 19, 2020, 07:55:24 PM »
Trump just asked states not to report unemployment claim numbers.

Real leadership!!

Just remember, everything is about me.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1829 on: March 19, 2020, 08:04:16 PM »
Add Georgia Senator Kelly Loeffler to the January stock sell after January briefing that included Fauci's presence.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sen-kelly-loeffler-dumped-millions-in-stock-after-coronavirus-briefing

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1830 on: March 19, 2020, 08:18:34 PM »
California health officials estimate half their population, 25.5 million people, could be infected in the next 2 months. I've been skeptical of projections this whole time, but this one strikes me as borderline irresponsible. Maybe an attempt to get disproportionate federal aid? I have a hard time believing that California officials truly believe it's likely that their state will represent a more than 100x increase in cases in just 8 weeks.

In less than 8 weeks we saw exponential growth exceeding this rate...why would California model less?....

- January 19: 100 cases
- January 24: 1,000 cases
- January 28: 5,000 cases
- February 12: 50,000 cases
- March 6: 100,000 cases
- March 14: 150,000 cases
- March 18: 200,000 cases
- March 19: 225,000 cases
(credit Hards post above*)
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MU_Warrior44

• Starter
« Reply #1831 on: March 19, 2020, 08:22:36 PM »

California currently has about 1,000 cases. It doubles every 6 days. It can hit 2 million in 2 months, and 33 million by the end of month three. Extreme and conservative estimating? Hopefully.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1832 on: March 19, 2020, 08:30:47 PM »
So I have a question regarding this Level 4 travel notice asking all Americans to come home from abroad.

I have a son who moved to Japan in January. He has a job and an apartment. His mom is freaking out and wants him home now. He said no deal and isn’t answering my texts right now.

I’ve had to deal with a lot this week. But this is putting me on edge right now. How serious is this?  Especially since he is due home in June?

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1833 on: March 19, 2020, 08:32:58 PM »
I apologize if this has already been posted, but didn’t have time to read through all posts today.  And I am not advocating, just posting something shared with me from an ER doc who also said he wishes the centuries old pandemic would return to his hospital:  drunks doing stupid sheet.

Stanford Professor: Data Indicates We’re Severely Overreacting To Coronavirus

https://www.dailywire.com/news/stanford-professor-data-indicates-were-overreacting-to-coronavirus
Ludum habemus.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1834 on: March 19, 2020, 08:35:29 PM »
So I have a question regarding this Level 4 travel notice asking all Americans to come home from abroad.

I have a son who moved to Japan in January. He has a job and an apartment. His mom is freaking out and wants him home now. He said no deal and isn’t answering my texts right now.

I’ve had to deal with a lot this week. But this is putting me on edge right now. How serious is this?  Especially since he is due home in June?

Personally I would stay in Asia.  They are taking this very seriously. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1835 on: March 19, 2020, 08:46:46 PM »

Yeah I'd sit tight in the country that has respect for each other, and isn't more likely to descend into chaos.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1836 on: March 19, 2020, 08:48:51 PM »
Yeah I'd sit tight in the country that has respect for each other, and isn't more likely to descend into chaos.

Alright. I’ll let you tell his mom that. 🤪🤪🤪

But thanks. It’s been a day. It’s a been a week.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1837 on: March 19, 2020, 08:50:30 PM »

My thoughts too. I’d be much more concerned if your son was in Europe.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1838 on: March 19, 2020, 08:54:59 PM »
Glow jr., who works for FEMA in Seattle, just texted us that California is going to mandate shelter in place. He thinks Washington will be next.
Have some patience, FFS.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1839 on: March 19, 2020, 09:02:12 PM »
I apologize if this has already been posted, but didn’t have time to read through all posts today.  And I am not advocating, just posting something shared with me from an ER doc who also said he wishes the centuries old pandemic would return to his hospital:  drunks doing stupid sheet.

Stanford Professor: Data Indicates We’re Severely Overreacting To Coronavirus

https://www.dailywire.com/news/stanford-professor-data-indicates-were-overreacting-to-coronavirus

Like most things, the answer likely resides somewhere in the middle. But even around 0.1% fatality rate we'd be looking at 100-200k deaths in the US depending on how much of the population is infected. And, if those cases happen close temporally, double to triple the number of deaths due to shortages in medical care.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1840 on: March 19, 2020, 09:02:44 PM »
Glow jr., who works for FEMA in Seattle, just texted us that California is going to mandate shelter in place. He thinks Washington will be next.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1240816454901157889

BNO Newsroom
@BNODesk
BREAKING: California Governor Newsom issues statewide stay-at-home order, but says it won't be enforced by police

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #1841 on: March 19, 2020, 09:07:22 PM »
What's the point of these "shelter-in-place" orders if it's not enforceable by police?

Seems like everyone already is doing shelter in place.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1842 on: March 19, 2020, 09:08:21 PM »
Have him stay in Japan.
I heard on my drive home today that the Japanese and Korean professional baseball leagues were starting back up.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #1843 on: March 19, 2020, 09:13:13 PM »
Trump just asked states not to report unemployment claim numbers.

Real leadership!!

Just remember, everything is about me.

Source?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1844 on: March 19, 2020, 09:17:29 PM »
Add Georgia Senator Kelly Loeffler to the January stock sell after January briefing that included Fauci's presence.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sen-kelly-loeffler-dumped-millions-in-stock-after-coronavirus-briefing

Jim Inhofe and Ron Johnson have been added to the list, per Steven Dennis of the AP. Not a particular good few days for Wisconsin Senator Ron Johnson, who like Inhofe, voted down a COVID-19 relief bill.

Johnson had this quote earlier this week:

https://twitter.com/tripgabriel/status/1240368940951506949?s=19
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 09:24:53 PM by shoothoops »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1845 on: March 19, 2020, 09:31:09 PM »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1846 on: March 19, 2020, 09:34:41 PM »

Also a country where TP has been done away with. Bless you Japanese toilets!!! Why aren't they the standard? TP is so freaking 1900's.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1847 on: March 19, 2020, 09:37:16 PM »

He can get home anytime. But, he will not be able to return anytime soon.

A friend's daughter (from Racine, but living in Hungary) is visiting her parents with her 4 kids ages 6 and under and now she can't go back home. Gonna be tight quarters for who knows how long. Plus her husband who was going to follow her here a few days later is not allowed to come now since he is a Hungarian citizen.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1848 on: March 19, 2020, 09:40:27 PM »
Jim Inhofe and Ron Johnson have been added to the list, per Steven Dennis of the AP. Not a particular good few days for Wisconsin Senator Ron Johnson, who like Inhofe, voted down a COVID-19 relief bill.

Johnson had this quote earlier this week:

https://twitter.com/tripgabriel/status/1240368940951506949?s=19

I do see something each of them has in common.  :-\

Seriously, though, I expect to see a few Dems on the list pretty soon. They've got a few lowlifes as well.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #1849 on: March 19, 2020, 09:42:41 PM »
In less than 8 weeks we saw exponential growth exceeding this rate...why would California model less?....

- January 19: 100 cases
- January 24: 1,000 cases
- January 28: 5,000 cases
- February 12: 50,000 cases
- March 6: 100,000 cases
- March 14: 150,000 cases
- March 18: 200,000 cases
- March 19: 225,000 cases
(credit Hards post above*)

I would believe that it can double every six days with no prevention and up to a point. The tracking you showed above isn't supportive of a continuous doubling every 6 days if we start with the Feb 12 cases. There are plateaus involved in there in certain places.

The hard part of all this is just how trustworthy the data is. We know the numbers are under-reported due to limited testing. In the above list, I think we would all agree that there were far, far more than just 100 cases globally on Jan 19 even if that was the reported number. Even if that is close to right, I still question whether the notion of a doubling every 6 days is really to be expected once we get to higher and higher numbers. Won't the growth plateau at a certain point? Won't the weakest immune systems get hit hard early, causing growth to slow when it hits the stronger immune systems?

And then you have to throw in mitigation measures. We are actively taking steps to slow this thing down. Shouldn't that factor into California's numbers? The growth they referenced in the statement seems like it's based on higher than observed growth rates, but California is taking some of the strongest containment measures. Either they have no faith in the strict actions they're enacting, or they're BS-ing their numbers. Either way, it shows a lack of transparency that I think is unacceptable right now.

feedback