[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129071 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #6250 on: June 03, 2020, 09:05:33 AM »
If anyone knows hot takes, it MU82.

I mean, he is the founder of slut shaming.

His non apology was very Orangemanesque.  Right out of his playbook.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6251 on: June 03, 2020, 09:08:28 AM »
Now we know why so many are entering the race for the vaccine.  This could create a huge market opportunity.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/06/02/dr-anthony-fauci-says-theres-a-chance-coronavirus-vaccine-may-not-provide-immunity-for-very-long.html

If Covid-19 acts like other coronaviruses, "it likely isn't going to be a long duration of immunity," Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said during an interview Tuesday evening with JAMA Editor Howard Bauchner.

"When you look at the history of coronaviruses, the common coronaviruses that cause the common cold, the reports in the literature are that the durability of immunity that's protective ranges from three to six months to almost always less than a year," he said. "That's not a lot of durability and protection."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6252 on: June 03, 2020, 12:37:40 PM »
Just saw this one from one of the monthly engineering magazines.

https://www.designdevelopmenttoday.com/video/video/21135754/new-ford-feature-burns-germs-out-of-police-suvs?lt.usr=72314481&utm_source=Design+Development+Update_06032020&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=102555&utm_term=557831

Ford Burns Virus Out of Police SUVs
The interior temperature of the cruiser can be raised to more than 130 degrees.

Jun 3rd, 2020
Unit 202 Productions Eric Sorensen David Mantey

In yet another example of a manufacturer working overtime to solve a pandemic-related problem in record time, Ford has unveiled a solution that helps law enforcement better sanitize their vehicles.

If you’re experiencing elevated anxiety levels throughout this pandemic, you may want to fast-forward to the end, because what I’m about to describe to you is tailor-made for nightmares.

Here goes.

Ford has unveiled a software feature that burns the germs out of the Explorer police SUVs being used by the New York Police Department. Using a combination of the vehicle’s cabin ventilation system and its engine, the interior temperature of the cruiser can be raised to 133 degrees Fahrenheit for a 15-minute stretch, effectively killing 99% of germs, including coronavirus.

The process for initiating the oven is said to be complicated enough that it won’t be set into motion on accident. Ford says it involves a special series of switches and buttons, and that the user would need to be “paying attention” in order to start the process. Once its activated, the user leaves the vehicle and the doors automatically lock.

But don’t panic, panickers: if, by chance, you’re still inside when the process starts, any adjustment of the controls — such as pressing a pedal or moving the gear shift — stops it automatically.

According to CNN Business, this heating process is actually superior to other germ-killing techniques because it reaches every single area of the interior, especially hard-to-reach places that a disinfectant spray might miss.

Ford vehicle interiors are reportedly heat-tested to 176 degrees during routine quality control, so they won’t be damaged by the process. The only damage will come to your psyche as you think about the germ-killing SUV oven as you lay awake at night.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #6253 on: June 03, 2020, 03:37:17 PM »

https://www.designdevelopmenttoday.com/video/video/21135754/new-ford-feature-burns-germs-out-of-police-suvs?lt.usr=72314481&utm_source=Design+Development+Update_06032020&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=102555&utm_term=557831

This reminds me of about 10 years ago when I was south of Cleveland at a client.  I had brutal bed bugs in the room and got jacked up pretty good by them.  The hotel of course paid for dry cleaning but I was worried about bringing stuff home, particularly in my bags.

Fortunately I had a shop floor to rely on... I found the machinist on the heat treat machine,  and put all my bags including clothes except the ones I was wearing on a toasty 150 degrees for one hour.  And the beauty of those machines is it ensures every nook and cranny gets to very close to 150 degrees.

A week later at home... no bed bugs took to the trip with me.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6254 on: June 03, 2020, 08:05:24 PM »

Jun 3rd, 2020
Unit 202 Productions Eric Sorensen David Mantey

In yet another example of a manufacturer working overtime to solve a pandemic-related problem in record time, Ford has unveiled a solution that helps law enforcement better sanitize their vehicles.

If you’re experiencing elevated anxiety levels throughout this pandemic, you may want to fast-forward to the end, because what I’m about to describe to you is tailor-made for nightmares.

Here goes.

Ford has unveiled a software feature that burns the germs out of the Explorer police SUVs being used by the New York Police Department. Using a combination of the vehicle’s cabin ventilation system and its engine, the interior temperature of the cruiser can be raised to 133 degrees Fahrenheit for a 15-minute stretch, effectively killing 99% of germs, including coronavirus.

The process for initiating the oven is said to be complicated enough that it won’t be set into motion on accident. Ford says it involves a special series of switches and buttons, and that the user would need to be “paying attention” in order to start the process. Once its activated, the user leaves the vehicle and the doors automatically lock.

But don’t panic, panickers: if, by chance, you’re still inside when the process starts, any adjustment of the controls — such as pressing a pedal or moving the gear shift — stops it automatically.

According to CNN Business, this heating process is actually superior to other germ-killing techniques because it reaches every single area of the interior, especially hard-to-reach places that a disinfectant spray might miss.

Ford vehicle interiors are reportedly heat-tested to 176 degrees during routine quality control, so they won’t be damaged by the process. The only damage will come to your psyche as you think about the germ-killing SUV oven as you lay awake at night.

Just my educated opinion, they either need to increase the temp or the time.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6258 on: June 04, 2020, 08:50:22 AM »
This is really good news if proven to be accurate.  Really good news.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/state-and-regional/no-new-covid-19-cases-from-lake-of-the-ozarks-crowds-missouri-health-director-says/article_6f36ad32-d125-5382-b78f-74bd0f6510ac.html?fbclid=IwAR0eEmmd_XGeD59zVswGnukh4IlJDR8rSub4W68gNTduFrAjWYIcb2oSs_U

It would be great if true, but it's still too early to draw any conclusions, because Memorial Day was only ten days ago. With an incubation period of about two weeks, plus the week or so it takes to get test results back, I would say we have at least another week or two before we have any numbers about Memorial Day weekend that matter.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6259 on: June 04, 2020, 09:45:43 AM »

It would be great if true, but it's still too early to draw any conclusions, because Memorial Day was only ten days ago. With an incubation period of about two weeks, plus the week or so it takes to get test results back, I would say we have at least another week or two before we have any numbers about Memorial Day weekend that matter.

Yup.  The news is encouraging at a minimum, but the jury is still out.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6260 on: June 04, 2020, 01:15:13 PM »
The number of confirmed cases is growing faster than ever as new hot spots emerge around the world.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/04/world/coronavirus-us-update.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20200604&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta&regi_id=88591053&segment_id=30089&user_id=a4394b6a5672354a123af665691a6f2d#link-2c768e19

The coronavirus pandemic is ebbing in some of the countries that were hit hard early on, but the number of new cases is growing faster than ever worldwide, with more than 100,000 reported each day.

Twice as many countries have reported a rise in new cases over the past two weeks as have reported declines, according to a New York Times database. On May 30, more new cases were reported in a single day worldwide than ever before: 134,064. The increase has been driven by emerging hot spots in Latin America, Africa, Asia and the Middle East.

-----------

This is why I believe we may still be in the early phases of this. Cases are decreasing across most of the US (with the effects of reopening, protests, etc tbd), but other areas are now getting pounded. I know the current strategy is to limit international flights, but I wonder how long that will continue....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6261 on: June 04, 2020, 02:13:59 PM »
The number of confirmed cases is growing faster than ever as new hot spots emerge around the world.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/04/world/coronavirus-us-update.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20200604&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta&regi_id=88591053&segment_id=30089&user_id=a4394b6a5672354a123af665691a6f2d#link-2c768e19

The coronavirus pandemic is ebbing in some of the countries that were hit hard early on, but the number of new cases is growing faster than ever worldwide, with more than 100,000 reported each day.

Twice as many countries have reported a rise in new cases over the past two weeks as have reported declines, according to a New York Times database. On May 30, more new cases were reported in a single day worldwide than ever before: 134,064. The increase has been driven by emerging hot spots in Latin America, Africa, Asia and the Middle East.

-----------

This is why I believe we may still be in the early phases of this. Cases are decreasing across most of the US (with the effects of reopening, protests, etc tbd), but other areas are now getting pounded. I know the current strategy is to limit international flights, but I wonder how long that will continue....

Lots more cases, but also lots more testing.

Hospitalizations and deaths IMHO provide better data. Here in NC, unfortunately, both have been ticking up.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6262 on: June 04, 2020, 03:11:14 PM »

Lots more cases, but also lots more testing.

Hospitalizations and deaths IMHO provide better data. Here in NC, unfortunately, both have been ticking up.

Agreed that hospitalizations and deaths are more reliable...at least here and in other developed countries. Unfortunately, with the current spread including many 'third-world' countries, I don't know if hospitalizations will be a reliable indicator due to the lack (or inconsistent availability) of medical facilities. Likewise with deaths; I have no idea how robust and accurate public health reporting systems are in less-developed countries. My fear is that we eventually learn the approximate number of deaths, but there might be a greater lag between the actual deaths and the reported numbers.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6263 on: June 04, 2020, 05:59:37 PM »
Geneticists have turned up intriguing links between DNA and the disease. Patients with Type A blood, for example, seem to be at greater risk.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/health/coronavirus-blood-type-genetics.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Geneticists have been scouring our DNA for clues. Now, a study by European scientists is the first to document a strong statistical link between genetic variations and Covid-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus.

Variations at two spots in the human genome are associated with an increased risk of respiratory failure in patients with Covid-19, the researchers found. One of these spots includes the gene that determines blood types.

Having Type A blood was linked to a 50 percent increase in the likelihood that a patient would need to get oxygen or to go on a ventilator, according to the new study.

------------

Not surprising that genetic variations result in differing responses to the virus, but the 50% increase in the need for oxygen or mechanical ventilation is pretty striking. Note this study is currently undergoing peer review, so take it with a grain of salt for the moment...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 06:02:05 PM by GooooMarquette »

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #6264 on: June 04, 2020, 06:15:39 PM »
Geneticists have turned up intriguing links between DNA and the disease. Patients with Type A blood, for example, seem to be at greater risk.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/health/coronavirus-blood-type-genetics.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Geneticists have been scouring our DNA for clues. Now, a study by European scientists is the first to document a strong statistical link between genetic variations and Covid-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus.

Variations at two spots in the human genome are associated with an increased risk of respiratory failure in patients with Covid-19, the researchers found. One of these spots includes the gene that determines blood types.

Having Type A blood was linked to a 50 percent increase in the likelihood that a patient would need to get oxygen or to go on a ventilator, according to the new study.

------------

Not surprising that genetic variations result in differing responses to the virus, but the 50% increase in the need for oxygen or mechanical ventilation is pretty striking. Note this study is currently undergoing peer review, so take it with a grain of salt for the moment...

Interesting.  If memory serves,  I believe caucasians are the most likely to have A+ and A-.  Like over 40% even though they are less than 40% as a population in total.

May explain why Europe and US/Canada got hit harder if this study is onto something.

EDIT:  I recalled incorrectly.  A+/A- is 40% of CAUCASIANS.  Not the total.  Still the largest group but not as stark as I thought.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 06:23:19 PM by MarquetteDano »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6265 on: June 04, 2020, 07:00:06 PM »
A+.  I'm fvcked.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6266 on: June 04, 2020, 07:23:22 PM »
Despite what President Pandemic said, there is still a chance that the RNC could be held in Charlotte. The state legislature, which is controlled by Republicans, is trying to pass a bill that would let the convention go on with no significant restrictions. It would let 19,000-plus people pack into Spectrum Center, no masks, no social distancing. They might as well call it the Super-Spreader Convention.

It probably will pass because the GOP has the majority, leaving the governor, Roy Cooper, to veto it. It's hard to say whether there would be enough votes to override his veto. If it's on party lines, the Republicans don't have enough votes.

Even if the veto stands, it's probably a good political move by the GOP. They'll be able to blame the Dems for the area not realizing the $$$ that the convention would have brought. Polls have consistently shown that NC citizens like the governor's response to the pandemic, and he leads his opponent by double-digits, so it's a bit of a Hail Mary.

The opponent, Dan Forest, said: “The repercussions to jobs and livelihoods will be long-lasting. It is clear the Cooper Administration is playing politics."

As for "playing politics" ...

Forest, the opponent, was a huge mover behind the infamous "bathroom bill," which Republicans pushed through in 2016 to legalize discrimination against transgender people. As a result, the area lost numerous huge events -- NBA All-Star Game, a bowl game, an NCAA basketball tournament round, numerous conventions. Events only returned when the law was weakened considerably.

The combined $$$ impact of the events lost due to the bathroom bill was triple what the RNC would bring. But back then, Forest downplayed the impact because it was more important to discriminate against transgenders than to bring money into our econony: “If you look at the most extreme instances of economic impact, by the media and by the universities and the people who come out and say ‘This is the impact,’ that most extreme impact equates to one-tenth of 1 percent of our annual GDP."

Nothing's ever easy.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6267 on: June 04, 2020, 07:27:52 PM »

They might as well call it the Super-Spreader Convention.

Isn’t that what they call the adult video convention?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6268 on: June 04, 2020, 07:37:48 PM »
A+.  I'm fvcked.

Oh, come on... B Positive!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6269 on: June 04, 2020, 07:51:11 PM »
I'm B+ and the wife character is A+, really don't want to have to go back on the open market
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6270 on: June 04, 2020, 07:58:05 PM »
I'm B+ and the wife character is A+, really don't want to have to go back on the open market
m
Someone set up a poll

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #6271 on: June 05, 2020, 12:30:52 PM »
At press conference today medical team from UPMC said the virus seems to be weakening and new infections do not seem to be near as potent as original rounds of infection.

For those that know more then I, did the SARS outbreak really just kind of disappear over time and could that possibly happen with this strain of coronavirus.  Works it way through a couple mutations and then just runs out of gas?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6272 on: June 05, 2020, 12:51:28 PM »
At press conference today medical team from UPMC said the virus seems to be weakening and new infections do not seem to be near as potent as original rounds of infection.

For those that know more then I, did the SARS outbreak really just kind of disappear over time and could that possibly happen with this strain of coronavirus.  Works it way through a couple mutations and then just runs out of gas?

It is totally possible that this happens.  I would be ecstatic.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6273 on: June 05, 2020, 02:00:36 PM »
Then POTUS will have been right, just 110,000 deaths late.      But it would be nice if it fizzled out.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #6274 on: June 05, 2020, 02:19:18 PM »

Could very much be the case.  If we have that happening, we need to plan for a potential fall reoccurrence.  That means having folks ready for contact tracing and all the appropriate equipment.  It seems likely if it were to get bad again, that’s when it will happen or start to happen.  It gives us plenty of time to ramp up.  If nothing happens, we can breath a sigh of relief and also understand how to be prepared or at least have a test run
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback