Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus Howard deciding in April  (Read 27852 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Markus Howard deciding in April
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2016, 10:53:40 AM »
I hope we land Howard too.  Time will tell.  But this would be a legitimate example of 'recruiting over' the current incumbent.  I have no problem with that.

Isn't "recruiting over" more about getting a commit, and then getting another commit in the same class that plays the same position?

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2016, 11:00:47 AM »

Isn't "recruiting over" more about getting a commit, and then getting another commit in the same class that plays the same position?

That's definitely an example of it, but I also think it applies current players. In this case especially, it seemed as if Carter was tabbed as PG of the future for MU, a title that most fans would willingly give to Howard should he commit.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2016, 11:15:32 AM »
That's definitely an example of it, but I also think it applies current players. In this case especially, it seemed as if Carter was tabbed as PG of the future for MU, a title that most fans would willingly give to Howard should he commit.
I think coaches just want competitions at positions. Though the concept of "recruiting over" may cross their minds, I think they would be just as pleased if the incumbent outplayed the commit to keep his position. At the end of the day, in this context, the idea is just a narrative spun more by fans.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2016, 11:24:27 AM »
I think coaches just want competitions at positions. Though the concept of "recruiting over" may cross their minds, I think they would be just as pleased if the incumbent outplayed the commit to keep his position. At the end of the day, in this context, the idea is just a narrative spun more by fans.

I agree. And players should be informed enough to know that coaches aren't going to wait another 4 years to recruit their position, so they shouldn't be surprised or put off by it.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2016, 12:18:46 PM »
What do you expect them to do?  Recruit only players that are worse than the ones we currently have?  Doesn't seem like a particularly strong recipe for success...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2016, 12:25:08 PM »
What do you expect them to do?  Recruit only players that are worse than the ones we currently have?  Doesn't seem like a particularly strong recipe for success...

Bingo. The "future" was now because we had no point guard. Traci had the opportunity to make that position his for the next 4 years. Had he done that Markus Howard wouldn't be our #1 priority. But because we still have a gaping hole at that position, Howard is.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2016, 12:29:31 PM »
Bingo. The "future" was now because we had no point guard. Traci had the opportunity to make that position his for the next 4 years. Had he done that Markus Howard wouldn't be our #1 priority. But because we still have a gaping hole at that position, Howard is.

Or Howard's our #1 priority because he is an incredibly talented basketball player who already committed essentially to a coach that is now on our staff, so we're taking advantage of that and trying to get more talent on the team.

If we simply put recruiting priority based solely on needs of the team then a PF would be our #1 priority.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2016, 12:38:33 PM »
Or Howard's our #1 priority because he is an incredibly talented basketball player who already committed essentially to a coach that is now on our staff, so we're taking advantage of that and trying to get more talent on the team.

If we simply put recruiting priority based solely on needs of the team then a PF would be our #1 priority.

PF is the #1  priority, but if you feel Howard has given a soft verbal to SJ that is even better.  My concern is that the last 2 recruits possibly came from SJ, what are the
other coaches doing to bring in new talent?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2016, 12:46:15 PM »

You're probably right.  I guess one year removed is a little more of a stretch.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2016, 12:53:31 PM »
PF is the #1  priority, but if you feel Howard has given a soft verbal to SJ that is even better.  My concern is that the last 2 recruits possibly came from SJ, what are the

What are you concerned about?  They are recruiting, especially Nelson who did a lot of the work on Cheatham and Carter.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2016, 12:58:46 PM »

I meant that Howard essentially committed to Stan Johnson when Stan was at ASU last year.  Now Stan is at Marquette and Howard has decommitted from ASU.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2016, 01:12:24 PM »

Wades - IMO, right now PG is our #1 priority Carter is our only guy there and is substandard. We have 2 centers and a bunch of 2/3s. PF becomes our #1 priority if/when Henry decides to leave. of course at that point we have 2 scholarships open - one for Howard and one for a PF - and both can be instant starters.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2016, 01:14:19 PM »
Wades - IMO, right now PG is our #1 priority Carter is our only guy there and is substandard. We have 2 centers and a bunch of 2/3s. PF becomes our #1 priority if/when Henry decides to leave. of course at that point we have 2 scholarships open - one for Howard and one for a PF - and both can be instant starters.

Are people still holding out hope that he's staying?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2016, 01:30:00 PM »
Are people still holding out hope that he's staying?

Don't know. My point is that if he goes we have TWO scholarships to give out - one for Howard and one for Henry's replacement.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2016, 01:34:24 PM »

Agreed. And I think we have a great shot at Howard, and probably less of a chance with Bruno Fernando. But everyone is talking about the logjam we have at guard. I don't see it, really. We have more of a logjam at the wing position.

Do we need another PF for next year? Yes, absolutely. But there should be enough playing time at guard for everyone

PG - Howard(?), Carter, Rowsey
SG - Wilson, Cheatham, Rowsey
SF - Cheatham, Johnson, Cohen, W. Ellenson, Anim
PF - Johnson, Cohen, W. Ellenson, Anim
C - Fischer - Heldt

Unless we get Fernando or a grad transfer 4, I would expect a lot of 4 out 1 in next year

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2016, 01:38:41 PM »
Surprised at the negativity on this board on Traci Carter.  Heck, he's only a freshman, who plays hard.  Perhaps he plAys too selfishly and should shoot more.  I like him and think with our great coaching, he will be a great Warrior.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2016, 01:44:34 PM »
Surprised at the negativity on this board on Traci Carter.  Heck, he's only a freshman, who plays hard.  Perhaps he plAys too selfishly and should shoot more.  I like him and think with our great coaching, he will be a great Warrior.

Agreed. His mistakes primarily come from aggression. That's a good thing, he can learn how to reign that in. He's got a decent feel for the game, and plays really hard.

Not all freshmen PGs are Dominic James or Tony Miller. It takes time.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2016, 01:49:26 PM »
Two concerns regarding Carter.  First, he seemingly can't defend without getting in foul trouble.  Second, he can't score.  Derrick had a better FG% last year because he can get to the rim.  Traci just can't seem to score from anywhere.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2016, 02:40:29 PM »
Two concerns regarding Carter.  First, he seemingly can't defend without getting in foul trouble.  Second, he can't score.  Derrick had a better FG% last year because he can get to the rim.  Traci just can't seem to score from anywhere.

Bingo. He can't defend and he can't score......other than that he's great.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2016, 02:43:00 PM »

Outside of maybe Sandy he's our best perimeter man to man defender.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 29, 2016, 02:47:28 PM »

Traci looks the part, but the game is too fast for him right now.  It reminds me of Vander freshman and sophomore year where he knew what to do but could never finish.  Believe me Traci is not ready to be the starting PG - but I dont think I would write him off.

Defense wise he seems very serviceable -- just needs to foul less.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2016, 02:50:57 PM »

But that doesn't mean that he won't be able to improve in either area.  And Frenn's is right.  He is playing too fast and tempo is a problem.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2016, 02:54:13 PM »
carter has a higher ceiling than d. wilson, imho...so i'm willing to go through some growing pains.  we obviously need another pg on this team...but if carter puts in the work over the summer i think he could take a nice step forward next year. 

nyg

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2016, 02:56:04 PM »
Agreed. And I think we have a great shot at Howard, and probably less of a chance with Bruno Fernando. But everyone is talking about the logjam we have at guard. I don't see it, really. We have more of a logjam at the wing position.

Do we need another PF for next year? Yes, absolutely. But there should be enough playing time at guard for everyone

PG - Howard(?), Carter, Rowsey
SG - Wilson, Cheatham, Rowsey
SF - Cheatham, Johnson, Cohen, W. Ellenson, Anim
PF - Johnson, Cohen, W. Ellenson, Anim
C - Fischer - Heldt

Unless we get Fernando or a grad transfer 4, I would expect a lot of 4 out 1 in next year

Can you imagine JJJ and Cohen playing power forward and going up against Reynolds, Copeland, Delgado, Bentil, and the other BE power forwards.  Oh my......

Then when Fischer gets in foul trouble (almost every game) Heldt will come in and get two offensive screens calls within four minutes. 

The team needs a PF after Henry leaves.  I realize the point guard situation is not currently the best, but is it adequate, because the PF position will not be.  With Rowsey's arrival next year, the squad has numerous guards who will be fighting for playing time.  If MU does obtain a commitment from another PG, I would not be shocked if one of the current ones left for being recruited over. Who knows.......

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 29, 2016, 03:00:59 PM »
But that doesn't mean that he won't be able to improve in either area.  And Frenn's is right.  He is playing too fast and tempo is a problem.
I agree he CAN improve especially on the offensive--and believe he will. He has very little defensive IQ and those concepts are much more difficult to grasp than an improved jump shot.