Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Butler  (Read 4644 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Butler
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2023, 11:34:50 AM »
I guess I view a trap game as us overlooking the opponent. I don’t think that will be the case. Based on what is at stake, I think the team will be focused. Also, the closer than expected NMD game should have our team’s attention.

I’m more worried we come out tight due to everything at stake (outright title, ranking, seed). That and of course being Senior Night has me terrified.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2023, 11:37:47 AM »
You just proved my point. You agree how important tonight is.

That isnt a trap game haha. Unbelievable.

You realize that a game being important and potentially a trap aren't mutually exclusive, right?

No, you don't, clearly. Unbelievable.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2023, 11:41:23 AM »
I'm definitely nervous about today, probably because of how much is riding on this game in terms of seeding. 

Logically, it doesn't make sense.  We're clearly the better team and should win.  I think I'm uneasy because it's such an important game and we haven't had that clunker yet against a bad team.  Of course, it doesn't mean we will have one and what has happened in past years has no relevance, especially to this team. 

I know the team will be focused but road games, especially this time of the year, make me uneasy.  Hopefully we can take control early.

Our clunker against a bad team was UW at home.  That win is the only reason Bucky is anywhere near the bubble.  I don’t see an L tonight.  Butler just isn’t good.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2023, 11:56:22 AM »
You realize that a game being important and potentially a trap aren't mutually exclusive, right?

No, you don't, clearly. Unbelievable.

Its not a goddamn trap if the team isn't looking past the opponent you blockhead.

Your logic you are exhibiting means we have currently played like 90% trap games this year

It was a stupid comment, own it. Move on.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2023, 12:16:19 PM »
I mentioned in the DePaul game thread that I felt like O-Max turned a corner in that game. It seemed to me like he had a lot more confidence and control than he had in a while. There was a look in his eyes that had been missing. I think O-Max is going to have a great game tonight and will be in the mix for SOTG.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2023, 12:28:56 PM »
I think the term “trap game” is often misused.

I always think of it as a game sandwiched in between two games with more obvious importance.

For example, in football when Michigan plays Penn State, then Indiana, then Ohio State, the Indiana game is a trap game because it comes between one big game and before another. The team might have a letdown from the one game and/or be looking ahead to the next one and be “trapped”  if they don’t get focused on it.

I see this as a game in which MU should not have trouble being focused. They have a chance to clinch an outright conference title and enhance their NCAA tournament seed. They’re also playing a team that played them tough a few weeks ago, and was able to beat Xavier, so they shouldn’t be overlooking the Bulldogs.

I see this game as a good dress rehearsal for a first round NCAA game. Butler with a home court and Senior Night advantage should be comparable to the type of team MU would face as a 14 seed in the NCAA. They should win, but if they don’t play well they won’t win.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2023, 01:11:13 PM »
I'm 0-2 at Hinkle. How many do you have to lose to officially be a curse?

I broke my state of Indiana curse at Notre Dame this year...

I am 0-3 at Hinkle, 0-1 at IU, 0-1 at Mackey, and 1-0 at Notre Dame...

I am 5-1 at Holiday tournaments however and 2-0 at NCAA tournament games. See you in Columbus!

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2023, 01:43:39 PM »
Its not a goddamn trap if the team isn't looking past the opponent you blockhead.

Your logic you are exhibiting means we have currently played like 90% trap games this year

You're a miserable dude, huh?

You've clearly never played a sport or coached, stay in your lane, grumpy.

Any game with an inferior opponent on the road with a lot at stake immediately afterward is a trap game. Period. It's more than overlooking your opponent; it's about the potential of losing even if prepared, the tendency of young players to get caught up in the hype and play tight, one less day to prepare than usual.  Losing tonight likely detracts from getting the seed we'd like (you know, kind of like getting stuck in a trap prevents you from getting where you'd like to go).  If you win, you avoid the trap.  This isn't difficult.

Our last 3 losses were on the road following home wins with 3, 3 and 2 days to prepare respectively.  They've had 2 days to prepare this one.

Tonight = Potential Trap game, which is what I said from the beginning.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2023, 02:00:05 PM »
You're a miserable dude, huh?

You've clearly never played a sport or coached, stay in your lane, grumpy.

Any game with an inferior opponent on the road with a lot at stake immediately afterward is a trap game. Period. It's more than overlooking your opponent; it's about the potential of losing even if prepared, the tendency of young players to get caught up in the hype and play tight, one less day to prepare than usual.  Losing tonight likely detracts from getting the seed we'd like (you know, kind of like getting stuck in a trap prevents you from getting where you'd like to go).  If you win, you avoid the trap.  This isn't difficult.

Our last 3 losses were on the road following home wins with 3, 3 and 2 days to prepare respectively.  They've had 2 days to prepare this one.

Tonight = Potential Trap game, which is what I said from the beginning.

I think there is a difference between a trap game and a  game where the schedule creates some difficulties. I don't think a game where the team is playing for an outright title can be a trap game.

Perhaps I'm nitpicking.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2023, 02:18:35 PM »
I think there is a difference between a trap game and a  game where the schedule creates some difficulties. I don't think a game where the team is playing for an outright title can be a trap game.

Perhaps I'm nitpicking.

No you are not nitpicking.  You are absolutely correct and explained it well.  Not sure why MarquetteFan94 can't figure this out and admit he is wrong and instead is responding like an angry child trying to convince everyone that he knows better than anyone what a trap game is.  This is not a trap game at all; it is as you said, a game where the schedule creates some difficulties.  A trap game is completely different as several people have logically explained. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2023, 02:18:40 PM »

Perhaps I'm nitpicking.

several posters in this thread have been, you not as much

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2023, 02:27:45 PM »
I’m going, last time I was there my high school girl’s team lost their state championship, a long time ago. Blame me, if we lose.

MU_B

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2023, 02:34:57 PM »
Last time I went to Hinkle (3/5/16) I took the kids to The Dancing Donut.
We lost the game, but the donuts were excellent.
Willfully misinformed.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2023, 02:37:10 PM »
No you are not nitpicking.  You are absolutely correct and explained it well.  Not sure why MarquetteFan94 can't figure this out and admit he is wrong and instead is responding like an angry child trying to convince everyone that he knows better than anyone what a trap game is.  This is not a trap game at all; it is as you said, a game where the schedule creates some difficulties.  A trap game is completely different as several people have logically explained. 

But have you played or coached basketball?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2023, 02:44:24 PM »
To call tonight a trap game is implying that the game against the Johnnies is of great importance. Tonight isn't a trap game.

Also, the two folks slap-fighting are acting like dorks whether or not you're the one that's right.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2023, 02:44:36 PM »

I think this is a “trap” post for the OP - making a stupid post while looking ahead to their next hopefully not stupid post. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2023, 02:50:49 PM »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2023, 03:31:07 PM »
“I don’t believe in looking past anybody – I wouldn’t look past the Little Sisters of the Poor after they stayed up all night.”

— Al McGuire

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2023, 03:52:59 PM »
But have you played or coached basketball?

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.   :)

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2023, 04:23:15 PM »

I've explained myself well enough and plenty outside the herd would agree. It's cute how you guys cozy up and rally around each other though. 

Let's just f-ing beat Butler.

Tonight = trap game.

mumi27

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2023, 04:27:04 PM »

I think this is a “trap” post for the OP - making a stupid post while looking ahead to their next hopefully not stupid post.

I hope the next post is even worse than this dump

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2023, 04:27:09 PM »
Goose should step in.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2023, 04:28:27 PM »
Timing's gotta be right.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2023, 04:30:01 PM »
I've explained myself well enough and plenty outside the herd would agree. It's cute how you guys cozy up and rally around each other though. 

Let's just f-ing beat Butler.

Tonight = trap game.

Definitely not a trap game.  :D

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2023, 04:37:38 PM »
Master Bates in, Ali & Mulloy out
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.