Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Butler  (Read 4749 times)

MarquetteFan94

• All American
Butler
« on: February 28, 2023, 09:56:05 AM »
Not a lot of talk about tonight's game it seems. 

Has the makings of a trap game although I'm confident Shaka will have them ready.  Butler managed to slow us down at home and kept it close; we're 2-7 at Hinkle the last 9 years.  Let's get off to a strong/fast start and put it away early.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
Re: Butler
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 10:08:45 AM »
I'm 0-3 at Hinkle all-time when I attend the game...Your welcome for deciding not to go this year  ;D

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 10:11:48 AM »

Has the makings of a trap game although I'm confident Shaka will have them ready.  Butler managed to slow us down at home and kept it close; we're 2-7 at Hinkle the last 9 years.  Let's get off to a strong/fast start and put it away early.

Butler at Hinkle can get really weird. Even explaining that Bates went bonkers in their upset of Xavier (a crucial factor of course), how was it possible that they lost to Georgetown?

Having been challenged for a while in the game at Fiserv, I believe, was good for MU. No "Hinkle Magic" tonight, please and thank you.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 10:14:50 AM »
I'm 0-3 at Hinkle all-time when I attend the game...Your welcome for deciding not to go this year  ;D

*you’re
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 10:18:13 AM »
*you’re

As long as the guy doesn't change his mind and decides to go to the game aftercall, I'm good with your. He's a jinx.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 10:36:16 AM »

Time to take a tinkle on Hinkle

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2023, 10:41:04 AM »

Oh god the trap game talk is back. And this could be the worst one yet.

How is this a trap game?? Between DePaul and SJU??

Sole big east title on the line?!?! And this is a trap for us??

We could lose, always possible. But this is nonsense lol. Actually the fact that we something so worthwhile to play for(along with seeding) is what has me less worried about a "trap" or a game where the team is checked out.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2023, 10:43:00 AM »
Butler at Hinkle can get really weird. Even explaining that Bates went bonkers in their upset of Xavier (a crucial factor of course), how was it possible that they lost to Georgetown?

Having been challenged for a while in the game at Fiserv, I believe, was good for MU. No "Hinkle Magic" tonight, please and thank you.

Bates didn’t play against Georgetown so that may partially explain it. We’ll see if he plays tonight. Regardless, expecting a bit of a dog fight tonight. Obviously major targets on our back.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 10:45:37 AM »
Matta knows when you have clearly inferior talent, you slow it way down. Expect a rock fight, a game of attrition.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2023, 10:45:51 AM »
MU did not cut the nets down after the DePaul game for a reason. They are focused on much bigger goals. I'm not worried.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2023, 10:46:21 AM »
Matta knows when you have clearly inferior talent, you slow it way down. Expect a rock fight, a game of attrition.

60-52 in Milwaukee.    I would expect more of the same.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2023, 10:46:56 AM »

Side note, Matta looked like he had a tough time moving in Milwaukee. I wonder how he has been holding up this year.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2023, 10:50:25 AM »
I'm definitely nervous about today, probably because of how much is riding on this game in terms of seeding. 

Logically, it doesn't make sense.  We're clearly the better team and should win.  I think I'm uneasy because it's such an important game and we haven't had that clunker yet against a bad team.  Of course, it doesn't mean we will have one and what has happened in past years has no relevance, especially to this team. 

I know the team will be focused but road games, especially this time of the year, make me uneasy.  Hopefully we can take control early. 

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2023, 10:53:29 AM »

I'm 0-2 at Hinkle. How many do you have to lose to officially be a curse?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2023, 10:55:20 AM »
I'm 0-2 at Hinkle. How many do you have to lose to officially be a curse?

Let's not take any chances. You stay home too, OK?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2023, 10:55:58 AM »
While we're "due" for a loss against a team we're clearly better than, we're also "due" for a complete 40 minute games.  We've won a lot of games recently, but a lot of them have been one great half and one less than good half.

Side note: I think I remember MU being mentioned with Manny Bates, and hoping we would go after him.  He'd look REAL nice on this roster.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2023, 10:58:27 AM »
While we're "due" for a loss against a team we're clearly better than, we're also "due" for a complete 40 minute games.  We've won a lot of games recently, but a lot of them have been one great half and one less than good half.

Side note: I think I remember MU being mentioned with Manny Bates, and hoping we would go after him.  He'd look REAL nice on this roster.

He was one of the 3-4 guys that Shaka was inferring when that article came out about his aversion to NIL and paying big money for non MU guys.

When the Pack deal came public. Bates was one of the 4 we cut loose.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2023, 11:01:27 AM »
Logically, it doesn't make sense.  We're clearly the better team and should win.  I think I'm uneasy because it's such an important game and we haven't had that clunker yet against a bad team.  Of course, it doesn't mean we will have one and what has happened in past years has no relevance, especially to this team. 

Cosign.  Needless to say, Butler is evil and must be destroyed.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2023, 11:04:26 AM »
Oh god the trap game talk is back. And this could be the worst one yet.

How is this a trap game?? Between DePaul and SJU??

Sole big east title on the line?!?! And this is a trap for us??

We could lose, always possible. But this is nonsense lol. Actually the fact that we something so worthwhile to play for(along with seeding) is what has me less worried about a "trap" or a game where the team is checked out.

Take it easy.  Do you understand what "trap game" means? You've never heard of team looking ahead or coming out flat (esp on the road) against a clearly inferior opponent in a place where they've had very limited historical success? They'll be fired up for an upset as they're in spoiler mode in addition to it being Senior night for them, 5 Seniors on the team.

Trap game.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2023, 11:08:18 AM »
Take it easy.  Do you understand what "trap game" means? You've never heard of team looking ahead or coming out flat (esp on the road) against a clearly inferior opponent in a place where they've had very limited historical success? They'll be fired up for an upset as they're in spoiler mode in addition to it being Senior night for them, 5 Seniors on the team.

Trap game.

I think I already established that the issue was your lack of understanding.

And the overall overuse of the term.

I'll help you out. Winning tonight. SJU on Saturday is MUCH MORE of a trap game. If we are going to be forced to toss the nonsensical term around.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2023, 11:12:33 AM »
Matta promised master Bates the top bunk in his dorm room & that sealed the deal. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2023, 11:17:21 AM »

Maybe the second half v DePaul will be a good motivator and antidote to human nature for MU.

My apologies for another msg, but if you live in Indy or know people around there who may want to go to the game, I am still looking to sell two tickets on the first level, preferably to MU fans. Will be very reasonable. Tix are $60 face value. Thanks.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2023, 11:23:43 AM »
Maybe the second half v DePaul will be a good motivator and antidote to human nature for MU.

My apologies for another msg, but if you live in Indy or know people around there who may want to go to the game, I am still looking to sell two tickets on the first level, preferably to MU fans. Will be very reasonable. Tix are $60 face value. Thanks.

Please verify their record at Hinkle before selling.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2023, 11:31:58 AM »
I think I already established that the issue was your lack of understanding.

And the overall overuse of the term.

I'll help you out. Winning tonight. SJU on Saturday is MUCH MORE of a trap game. If we are going to be forced to toss the nonsensical term around.
You seem like a fun guy.  What you've established is that you actually don't understand the importance of tonight's game (or the term).

At this stage of the season with NCAA seeding at stake (and the main priority), a loss tonight and SJU on Saturday has us playing to avoid a 4 seed while prob needing to win at least one in the BET to get back to a 3.

Tonight = trap game.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2023, 11:33:46 AM »
You seem like a fun guy.  What you've established is that you actually don't understand the importance of tonight's game (or the term).

At this stage of the season with NCAA seeding at stake (and the main priority), a loss tonight and SJU on Saturday has us playing to avoid a 4 seed while prob needing to win at least one in the BET to get back to a 3.

Tonight = trap game.

You just proved my point. You agree how important tonight is.

That isnt a trap game haha. Unbelievable.