[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 5/28 finally official - Sam to UVA, Joey to MSU  (Read 108022 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: 5/28 finally official - Sam to UVA, Joey to MSU
« Reply #325 on: May 28, 2019, 10:37:00 PM »
Nah, I threw you in as a joke. Missed the mark, my bad.

Was debating between Lennys or MU82...

No worries - I'm a fan - think your stuff is often funny and/or insightful. Unwritten law of comedy is the rule of threes.

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Unofficial - Sam to UVA, Joey to MSU
« Reply #326 on: May 28, 2019, 10:38:58 PM »
You know nothing of the kind.  You can’t prove that, it is mere speculation on your part.  Didn’t Crean help put a 3 star 150th ranked Oladipo in the league?  We can play this game all day if you wish, but you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.  The fact that Travis Diener are the pros is enough to boggle the mods of both when he was a high school recruit at that size.

Easy, big fella.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #327 on: May 28, 2019, 10:39:39 PM »
Agree that Wes got what he got totally on his own but does he even get a chance without the break out senior year?

Buycks, JFB and Jae all got much more out of their post college careers than could have been predicted. One constant of Buzz coached guys? Toughness. Tons of talent in the NBA - toughness can be the tiebreaker.

Butler was a Kentucky offer, most Kentucky kids that receive offers do so because they have a lot of talent. 

Toughness was a constant?  Every Buzz recruit was tough, thus a constant?  Nope
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #328 on: May 28, 2019, 11:02:07 PM »
Butler was a Kentucky offer, most Kentucky kids that receive offers do so because they have a lot of talent. 

Toughness was a constant?  Every Buzz recruit was tough, thus a constant?  Nope

Wow. Buzz was beating out Kentucky for recruits? Must be why he was so much more successful at MU than anyone not named Al! Thanks for reinforcing that point!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #329 on: May 28, 2019, 11:04:20 PM »
Wow. Buzz was beating out Kentucky for recruits? Must be why he was so much more successful at MU than anyone not named Al! Thanks for reinforcing that point!

Yup, Buzz was beating out one of the dirtiest programs in NCAA history......of course for a long time you refused to acknowledge Butler was offers by Kentucky, instead relying on the littlest acorn story that Buzz molded him into the giant oak.......tell me about the Final Four Buzz reached....must be missing.  Maybe he just wasn’t lucky enough in the crapshoot. 

Maybe Todd Mayo knows.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 11:12:46 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #330 on: May 28, 2019, 11:35:55 PM »
Yup, Buzz was beating out one of the dirtiest programs in NCAA history......of course for a long time you refused to acknowledge Butler was offers by Kentucky, instead relying on the littlest acorn story that Buzz molded him into the giant oak.......tell me about the Final Four Buzz reached....must be missing.  Maybe he just wasn’t lucky enough in the crapshoot. 

Maybe Todd Mayo knows.

Off the meds, again. Where's Fluffy?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #331 on: May 28, 2019, 11:47:38 PM »
I think it's much worse for us but they lost big too.

Short term, us. Long term, them. Gard put all his recruiting eggs in that basket and came up empty.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #332 on: May 29, 2019, 02:08:33 AM »
Sam is a much better player than Bennett was.

He’s better. He’s not “much” better. Let’s see what kind of career he puts together first.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #333 on: May 29, 2019, 05:14:07 AM »

Maybe Todd Mayo knows.

Let’s be clear though, he was offered by Kentucky in the Billy Gillespie era. That’s different than the current Kentucky.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #334 on: May 29, 2019, 05:19:06 AM »
Those who insist you can't lose what you never had will say we're the big losers and UW lost nothing.

Joe Wolf and Ricky Olson say hello.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #335 on: May 29, 2019, 07:43:33 AM »
Those who insist you can't lose what you never had will say we're the big losers and UW lost nothing.

I also think the actual loss for us is worse -- because we had Sam playing great for us and a potentially fine player in Joey on our team -- but F%ckyville sustained a soul-crushing loss.

They could have had Sam originally but blew it because Bo strung him along. If they hadn't blown it, they almost surely would have had Joey, too. Instead, they let both go to their in-state rival. Now, unbelievably, they get a major, major gift: another shot at both of them. And it would seem even more of a no-brainer: grew up nearby, wanting to be rodents; Mom and Dad want to watch every game; close friends on the team; guaranteed starring roles; etc. But in the end, F%cky again has no Hausers on the team, with the younger one (who has more eligibility remaining) going to the best team in their conference. Just as stringing along Sam was ended up being a major indictment of Bo, this situation is a major indictment of Gard's ability to recruit.

For F%cky, it's about as devastating a recruiting hit as can be suffered by a team that never got a commitment from the athletes they "lost."

For us, it's a real loss, and I'm glad you recognize how much worse that is, Lenny.

I plan this to be my last comment on the "loss" topic in this thread. We need not subject others to our friendly discussion on it again. Would be happy to have a PM chat if you want, though that probably isn't necessary, either.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #336 on: May 29, 2019, 07:51:21 AM »
I also think the actual loss for us is worse -- because we had Sam playing great for us and a potentially fine player in Joey on our team -- but F%ckyville sustained a soul-crushing loss.

They could have had Sam originally but blew it because Bo strung him along. If they hadn't blown it, they almost surely would have had Joey, too. Instead, they let both go to their in-state rival. Now, unbelievably, they get a major, major gift: another shot at both of them. And it would seem even more of a no-brainer: grew up nearby, wanting to be rodents; Mom and Dad want to watch every game; close friends on the team; guaranteed starring roles; etc. But in the end, F%cky again has no Hausers on the team, with the younger one (who has more eligibility remaining) going to the best team in their conference. Just as stringing along Sam was ended up being a major indictment of Bo, this situation is a major indictment of Gard's ability to recruit.

For F%cky, it's about as devastating a recruiting hit as can be suffered by a team that never got a commitment from the athletes they "lost."

For us, it's a real loss, and I'm glad you recognize how much worse that is, Lenny.

I plan this to be my last comment on the "loss" topic in this thread. We need not subject others to our friendly discussion on it again. Would be happy to have a PM chat if you want, though that probably isn't necessary, either.
Not that I care, but a hypothetical. Would Sam and Joey been upset at Ethan Happ's high usage rate? Markus was 5th highest, but Happ was not far behind at number 14.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #337 on: May 29, 2019, 08:14:47 AM »
Joe Wolf and Ricky Olson say hello.
...and Sam Okey said goodbye too.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #338 on: May 29, 2019, 09:08:19 AM »
So, in the end, the Hausers united the Marquette community by reminding us that Wisconsin is the true enemy and giving us one more reason to mock the Badgers.    Thanks, Sam and Joey. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #339 on: May 29, 2019, 09:14:55 AM »
I don't understand, with all the back and forth on this thread regarding so many different issues, how there could have been 338 replies on this topic without anyone asserting that Crean sucks.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #340 on: May 29, 2019, 09:29:15 AM »
https://twitter.com/big_smooth10/status/1133729726235906049?s=21

Sam denying the whole 'silent verbal' thing.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

connie

• All American
« Reply #341 on: May 29, 2019, 09:29:49 AM »
I don't understand, with all the back and forth on this thread regarding so many different issues, how there could have been 338 replies on this topic without anyone asserting that Crean sucks.
So, Scoop is evolving?
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #342 on: May 29, 2019, 09:38:20 AM »
https://twitter.com/Jalen_J23/status/1133579426191613952

Not to mention that Jalen Johnson is taking note of Badger fans torching the Hausers on social media. 

There's a lesson here for fans of all teams, don't light up a player's or their family's social media accounts.  You look like a grade A idiot and hurt the team you care about in the process.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #343 on: May 29, 2019, 09:46:27 AM »

Maybe Todd Mayo knows.

woof, I think Lenny may have hit way to close to home.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #344 on: May 29, 2019, 09:55:34 AM »

Agree with all of it, but definitely a loss for both. I think the difference is that while it's tangibly a bigger loss for us because it's two starters, we at least seem to have players in place to take those minutes & already filled a scholarship for the coming year (Jayce) that will at the least help cover the minutes Joey would've provided by filling minutes JH would've played at the 5 and allowing Ed to slide to the 4, replacing more of JH's minutes effectively.

For Wisconsin, that also would've been 2 starters that, at least from a fan perspective, they see themselves as losing. Hard to imagine Aleem Ford or Nate Reuvers matches the level of efficiency & production either Hauser would've given. I also think it's a big blow that, when the Hausers stated they wanted to stay together, it was more appealing to split up and go to different out of state schools than it was to stay home together. That to me is a clear indicator that, while Wisconsin was on the list & received a visit, they were never really a serious option.

Both from an on-court and from a morale standpoint around Greg Gard, this is really bad news for them. In addition, while their 2017 recruiting class was solid, since then Gard has zero 4-star commits in 2018, 2019, or 2020 and zero top-150 players per 247 Sports. The Hausers would've provided a big injection of not just talent but also name recognition and proof of recruiting ability. They don't seem to be the favorites for any of their numerous 2020 4/5 star targets. Gard will have to replicate Bo-level player improvement, & might even need to do better in that regard than Bo did, to get remotely comparable results.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #345 on: May 29, 2019, 10:10:41 AM »
Joey will be lucky to be a sixth man on MSU, after the experiment with him starting fails.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #346 on: May 29, 2019, 10:16:31 AM »
https://twitter.com/big_smooth10/status/1133729726235906049?s=21

Sam denying the whole 'silent verbal' thing.

There is ZERO doubt in my mind he will be widely and uniformly called a liar by the Bucky faithful on and offline for the next few days.  Their sources are far better than the actual person in question, who clearly was told to deny this COMPLETELY TRUE STORY by his B**** mother

EDIT: already begun.  ETR has done it.  Tons of people calling Greg Gard the most honest man in coaching and the Hausers masters of deception and lies.  Hilarious
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 10:22:56 AM by JWags85 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #347 on: May 29, 2019, 10:33:00 AM »
Joey will be lucky to be a sixth man on MSU, after the experiment with him starting fails.

Actually, no.   Joey could be featured on the 20-21 team.   Winston will be gone, Henry might be gone, there is really no proven players on that team.   IF Joey gets quicker and stronger and embraces the Izzo mentality, Joey COULD shine.     He IS a 6'9, 235lb skilled stretch 4.   There are a lot of building blocks there.   

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #348 on: May 29, 2019, 10:51:23 AM »
I think Joey will be great at MSU
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #349 on: May 29, 2019, 11:02:25 AM »

Got $$ on dat tho?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback