'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 5/28 finally official - Sam to UVA, Joey to MSU  (Read 108041 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Sam to UVA, Joey to MSU
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2019, 02:13:55 PM »
And yet, Lenny, reports are they were willing to stay if Markus left.  If that is accurate, it destroys the notion it is Wojo. If it isn't about touches and is about preferential treatment, why stay if Markus leaves?  If it is about preferential treatment, the source, the coach who engaged in it is still there.  Why stay if the one engaged in unfair treatment stays but the object leaves?    That just doesn't  track for me.

First of all, there is zero evidence that the Hausers were staying if Markus left. That's pure conjecture. But could I see a possible scenario where they could have stayed if the player the head coach threw out the playbook to defer to left? Why not?

Contrary to what at least one poster might say, I don't dislike Wojo. Before this incident I have moved back and forth between hopeful and a little less so. But IMO this whole situation and what led up to it is one huge red flag.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2019, 02:21:45 PM »
Wojo said at his presser that he had talked to Tony Bennett on the phone.  I would love to have heard that conversation.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

tower912

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2019, 02:23:18 PM »
There is zero 'evidence' for just about everything in this case.   There is hearsay and conjecture everywhere.  All of the opinions expressed here, including yours and mine, are based on our interpretation of that hearsay and conjecture.  The only verifiable fact is that the Hausers decided to leave a team that was listed as a preseason top 10 in a lot of places.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2019, 02:29:06 PM »
There is zero 'evidence' for just about everything in this case.   There is hearsay and conjecture everywhere.  All of the opinions expressed here, including yours and mine, are based on our interpretation of that hearsay and conjecture.  The only verifiable fact is that the Hausers decided to leave a team that was listed as a preseason top 10 in a lot of places.
That’s the only fact.  None of us are in the Hausers’ heads.  We shall see what we shall see.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2019, 02:31:23 PM »
Lenny, I'm not saying you are wrong, because no one knows what actually all went down. What I will say, is that you are placing a ton of bias into your statements and opinions, and then concluding that "anyone with half a brain"..."the only logical conclusion is"..."anyone can clearly see"... [your stance here].

There are about a million different variables, questions, possibilities at play here. Only one or two support your narrative. The most likely scenarios is that this was a really emotional, and confusing process involving young men, who were looking after their own interests, and a coach, who was looking out for what is best for the team in the long run.

We can't know the details. Spinning wheels, arguing, and throwing people under the bus, in the name of our biased narrative, when we maybe know 3 of a million variables is not good in the long run.

Forgetful,

Of course there are a lot of details we'll never know. But as far as I can tell, two basic theories have emerged:

1, The Hausers wanted more touches, more shots. They didn't have a problem with "hero ball", they just wanted to be the hero.

2. The Hausers were uncomfortable with the whole concept of "hero ball". To them it wasn't fun and ultimately they didn't think it was as effective.

Had they ended up at Iowa (or even, to a lesser extent, UW) one could make a logical argument for #1. Because they ended up at UVA and MSU all logic points to #2.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2019, 02:33:00 PM »
My bad.  A second fact.  The Hausers announced their transfer shortly after Markus announced his return.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2019, 02:34:58 PM »
The only way anyone could get as much usage as Markus at MU is if we played by Iowa high school girls rules and only 3 players were allowed to cross into the offensive side of half court.

Purdue played Iowa  HS girls rules?
I learn something new every day around here.

Sam transferred to a school where his usage and shots almost assuredly will NOT increase but his team win totals almost assuredly will. Anyone who is remotely fair and has half a brain can figure out what was and was not important to him.

Right, he left a projected top 10 (and top 5 according to some) and seriously considered UW, because he's all about the winning. Also, you're not at all naive.

Look, you can do a post search if you want, but I've never ripped the Hausers, called them malcontents, selfish or anything of the sort. But if you put on your thinking cap for a moment, you'd perhaps understand that the tale you've been spewing that portrays their decision as an almost altruistic act - one that was forced upon them, no less - is complete and utter trash.

They left Marquette for one reason and one reason only - they decided it was in their personal interests to leave Marquette.
It's certainly not about winning - if they cared about only winning, they'd have sucked it up and stuck it out for a year with a team that had Final 4 potential. And they would not have strongly considered Wisconsin.

And you know what? It's fine that they're looking out for their personal interests. I won't say bad things about them for that.
But for some odd reason you won't admit that, probably because your narrative relies on them being forced into this difficult decision by a mean and incompetent head coach who won't rein in a selfish star player, rather than just being a couple of kids looking out for themselves.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 02:38:16 PM by Pakuni »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2019, 02:35:19 PM »
My bad.  A second fact.  The Hausers announced their transfer shortly after Markus announced his return.
That is a fact, though reading more into that is not factual.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2019, 02:37:03 PM »
First of all, there is zero evidence that the Hausers were staying if Markus left. That's pure conjecture.

When I went to bed last night, the pavement outside was dry. When I woke up, it was wet. Whether or not it rained overnight, however, is pure conjecture.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2019, 02:37:30 PM »
That is a fact, though reading more into that is not factual.
Correct.  Beyond that is conjecture.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2019, 02:38:57 PM »
Forgetful,

Of course there are a lot of details we'll never know. But as far as I can tell, two basic theories have emerged:

1, The Hausers wanted more touches, more shots. They didn't have a problem with "hero ball", they just wanted to be the hero.

2. The Hausers were uncomfortable with the whole concept of "hero ball". To them it wasn't fun and ultimately they didn't think it was as effective.

Had they ended up at Iowa (or even, to a lesser extent, UW) one could make a logical argument for #1. Because they ended up at UVA and MSU all logic points to #2.

The problems with most things in life and society is that we move towards two camps, two theories, two solutions, A and Z. More often than not, the best option is somewhere around M. People don't like to concede to M (often myself included).

It is perfectly possible, that the Hauser's would be perfectly ok at a place like MU, where they may not go to a final 4, but would get to be the heroes. But, if they can't be the hero, they would rather be at a place that would give them a chance at a National title.

Similarly, they would be fine with an Iowa, UW, MU, if they got to play as stars together. But if not being stars together, being separate on National title contesting teams would be preferred.

I'm not saying the above is correct. I'm saying it is Option M, and the more likely situation. Where it actually falls we will never know. There are even more dimensions to this problem than a simple A-Z scale.

I hope you don't take this as an attack on you or your position, it most definitely is not.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2019, 02:41:18 PM »

IMHO the places they ended up (UVA and MSU) are evidence. Evidence of the fact this is about playing for coaches whose team's a) have won a lot more frequently than Wojo and b) have done it a team > individual concept. How anyone could believe they're going to Izzo or Bennett to get more "touches" blows me away. You go to those guys only if you're committed fully to the team over individual concept.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2019, 02:45:10 PM »
Cassius Winston's usage was just behind that of Markus and Edwards.  MU was projected to be ranked right with those two teams.    And your evidence is still conjecture and extrapolation.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2019, 02:49:18 PM »
First of all, there is zero evidence that the Hausers were staying if Markus left. That's pure conjecture. But could I see a possible scenario where they could have stayed if the player the head coach threw out the playbook to defer to left? Why not?

Contrary to what at least one poster might say, I don't dislike Wojo. Before this incident I have moved back and forth between hopeful and a little less so. But IMO this whole situation and what led up to it is one huge red flag.

Sure, you like him as a person, but not what I am referencing. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2019, 02:50:41 PM »
When I went to bed last night, the pavement outside was dry. When I woke up, it was wet. Whether or not it rained overnight, however, is pure conjecture.

Morning dew?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2019, 02:51:37 PM »
Let's be careful to assume because a couple of writers say they are going to MSU and VA, means it's true. Let's wait until there is OFFICIAL announcement from the boys themselves, or from the schools they transfer to, to assume that MSU and VA are done. Lots here thought the same thing about them going to UW as well...how did that end up??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2019, 02:52:51 PM »
IMHO the places they ended up (UVA and MSU) are evidence. Evidence of the fact this is about playing for coaches whose team's a) have won a lot more frequently than Wojo and b) have done it a team > individual concept. How anyone could believe they're going to Izzo or Bennett to get more "touches" blows me away. You go to those guys only if you're committed fully to the team over individual concept.

Just a month ago you were questioning Bennett as a coach to some degree, because God forbid he didn’t have the long run yet....and as uva was going through it, the back handed compliments about Bennett because of how they won.  Make up your mind on him, please.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2019, 02:53:07 PM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2019, 03:00:27 PM »
I still don't care that they transferred or where they ended up. They aren't (and probably never were) Warriors.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2019, 03:15:58 PM »
Lenny doesn’t like Wojo....period.

Plus Tax.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2019, 03:23:23 PM »
And now the inevitable “academics” being thrown out there as a possibility for the Hausers not going to Wisconsin. 

Unreal... 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2019, 03:26:31 PM »
Bucky fans gotta bucky fan. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2019, 03:35:25 PM »
Purdue played Iowa  HS girls rules?

If Sam had Markus's usage the 2 of them would have had around a 75% usage. Purdue had 2 players that totaled 75% usage?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2019, 03:43:59 PM »
If Sam had Markus's usage the 2 of them would have had around a 75% usage. Purdue had 2 players that totaled 75% usage?

That's not what you wrote.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2019, 03:49:08 PM »
Lenny doesn’t like Wojo....period.

Chico is lying....period.