[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 5/28 finally official - Sam to UVA, Joey to MSU  (Read 106954 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Sam to UVA, Joey to MSU
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2019, 11:03:09 AM »
How about recognizing that the Hausers tanked the team and then jumped ship.

Hard to win basketball games at any level when u have two starters with either one foor in and one foot out or maybe even both feet out by that time.  More than coincidental that the team fell off the cliff along with the performance of both Hausers. 
With the athleticism and talent that MSU brings in year after year i could see Joey struggling for playing time at MSU and possibly never becoming a go to type player there.  I could be wrong hopefully the change of scenery brings a change of attitude, but the whining n softness he showed at MU will not go well with the culture at MSU
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2019, 11:27:15 AM »
Has any of this been confirmed?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2019, 11:29:30 AM »
Has any of this been confirmed?

No, not by the people that matter anyway...Sam and Joey
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2019, 11:41:15 AM »
1. I laughed out loud when I saw this because of what it says about the UW program (more on this later).

2. I was a victim of bad information. The exact same person who gave me that bad information -- #donedeal level misinformation -- subsequently told me that his source had been wrong and that Sam to Va, Joey to MSU was actually what was going to happen. The latter proved true.

3. It's on me that I not only spread the misinformation but that I took it to the next level, suggesting that the Hausers were "playing" or "punking" Bennett and Izzo. That turns out to have been unfair of me to say, and I regret having said it.

4. I do think it speaks to Sam's level of desperation to get away from Marquette that he would give away a year of his basketball career to play at Virginia. And I do think it speaks poorly of Wojo, or at least his relationship with Wojo. And yet, if there is truth to the MANY reports that the Hausers would have stayed had Markus gone, the Hausers-distrust-Wojo angle still has holes.

5. Sam played hard, he played well, he was a leader. Some of my fondest memories from the last few years were authored by Sam, especially his shot against Creighton and him pulling down the final rebound against Nova. He will be missed.

6. Joey might turn out to be a very good player. Indeed, if I were predicting, I would say he will. Izzo wanted him very much, and that alone is a major endorsement for his potential -- potential that we all got a feel for last season, especially during the first half of the season. Having said that, I am not emotionally invested in Joey at all, and while I wish him well I won't really "miss" him. The reports that he was the cause of all of this ... as I have said many times, I feel there's plenty of blame to go around.

7. As disappointing as this whole episode has been for Marquette, if I am to be as objective as I possibly can be, this is absolutely devastating for Wisconsin for all the reasons mentioned in Polzin's article. Gard has now missed out on the Hausers twice, and given the circumstances of this latest miss, it is almost incredible that it happened. An incredible indictment of the UW program.

8. Happy Memorial Day, everybody.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2019, 11:45:04 AM »
No, not by the people that matter anyway...Sam and Joey

Great, I will return to my pipe dream wish that Sam will return until all hope is lost.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2019, 12:24:27 PM »
1. I laughed out loud when I saw this because of what it says about the UW program (more on this later).

2. I was a victim of bad information. The exact same person who gave me that bad information -- #donedeal level misinformation -- subsequently told me that his source had been wrong and that Sam to Va, Joey to MSU was actually what was going to happen. The latter proved true.

3. It's on me that I not only spread the misinformation but that I took it to the next level, suggesting that the Hausers were "playing" or "punking" Bennett and Izzo. That turns out to have been unfair of me to say, and I regret having said it.

4. I do think it speaks to Sam's level of desperation to get away from Marquette that he would give away a year of his basketball career to play at Virginia. And I do think it speaks poorly of Wojo, or at least his relationship with Wojo. And yet, if there is truth to the MANY reports that the Hausers would have stayed had Markus gone, the Hausers-distrust-Wojo angle still has holes.

5. Sam played hard, he played well, he was a leader. Some of my fondest memories from the last few years were authored by Sam, especially his shot against Creighton and him pulling down the final rebound against Nova. He will be missed.

6. Joey might turn out to be a very good player. Indeed, if I were predicting, I would say he will. Izzo wanted him very much, and that alone is a major endorsement for his potential -- potential that we all got a feel for last season, especially during the first half of the season. Having said that, I am not emotionally invested in Joey at all, and while I wish him well I won't really "miss" him. The reports that he was the cause of all of this ... as I have said many times, I feel there's plenty of blame to go around.

7. As disappointing as this whole episode has been for Marquette, if I am to be as objective as I possibly can be, this is absolutely devastating for Wisconsin for all the reasons mentioned in Polzin's article. Gard has now missed out on the Hausers twice, and given the circumstances of this latest miss, it is almost incredible that it happened. An incredible indictment of the UW program.

82 u suffer from logerrhea and anyone that has spent more than 5 minutes on this board knows it.  Ur incoherrent rambling and consistent misrepresentations are par for your course. No need to apologize we expect it, ur are a true journalist in a profession that is at its lowest ebb. Carry on, we know that u will, our expectations will remain very low.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2019, 12:33:10 PM »
Great, I will return to my pipe dream wish that Sam will return until all hope is lost.
[/quote

Name a playa hoo announced his intention ta transfer, and den changed his mind and came back to da skool he announced his intent ta transfer from, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2019, 12:36:05 PM »
Juan Anderson and I think Jake Thomas announced their intent to transfer and stayed
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 12:37:38 PM by Uncle Rico »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2019, 12:36:43 PM »
Name a playa hoo announced his intention ta transfer, and den changed his mind and came back to da skool he announced his intent ta transfer from, hey?

It happens. See Minnesota last season - Matz Stockman. Announced his transfer and even a new destination (Cal). Then, wound up staying at Minnesota.

Has certainly happened at MU in the past as well.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2019, 12:36:57 PM »
Well grate, eye stand erected. If Woj had any balls, heed tell an announced transfer ta go fook themselves major and lose my phone number, aina?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 12:40:16 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muguru

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2019, 12:39:48 PM »
Name 2 den, hey?

Just this year, 2 or 3 Alabama players entered their name into the transfer Portal, and after Oates was hired, they returned. Wabissa Bede from Va Tech also decided to return to Va Tech after having his name in the transfer portal...It's not that uncommon.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2019, 12:45:47 PM »
So we have boosters to pay players to not go to WI?  Wowser.

Is there any other possible explanation for the drop in Wisconsin's in-state recruiting?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2019, 12:47:59 PM »

1. Agreed

2. I had the same information.

3. Even if that information had turned out to be accurate, I thought your suggestion that the Hausers were "punking" or using Izzo and Bennett was way out of line. In any recruitment there are favorites or leaders reported - and often they end up signing the player. That doesn't mean the other finalists were "used". Guys like Izzo and Bennett still want the chance to give a potential player a final face to face pitch. Your interpretation of the process indicated a predetermined anti Hauser bias IMO. Your apology (which you promised if proven wrong) proves (no surprise) that you're a stand up guy.

4. Agree (and have always felt) that Sam was desperately unhappy. The idea that Joey was the driving force here never made sense given all that Sam was sacrificing (top 10 team in 2020, legacy as a 2nd tier all time great at MU, etc.). Maybe he and Joey were gone regardless of Markus's decision and were giving him the courtesy of announcing first. Maybe they believed that Mojo would  demand more team play if his star left. Either way, doesn't matter to me - IMO Wojo looks bad.

5. Amen.

6. Agree, except for any speculation that he was the "cause of this". Some opine that he's a baby who can't handle criticism. So because of that he left drill sergeant Wojo for easy going Tom Izzo? Hilarious.

7 and 8. Agree.

9. To those who think this was all about "touches", usage, shots, wanting to be the "man", etc. - take off the blue and gold glasses and look at the facts. Nobody on Virginia (even their top 10 lottery pick) gets statistical "star treatment" and even the stars on MSU have usage rates 20-30% lower than Markus's. At those two elite programs "The strength of our team is our team" is a way of life - not an empty slogan.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2019, 12:54:40 PM »

Taught ewe were sworn ta secrecy. Meat summit invite now in jeopardy, hey?

Tomorrow's headline:

Dentists Create Cavity in Wisconsin Basketball Roster

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2019, 01:16:54 PM »

Wan Andersun.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2019, 01:24:03 PM »

9. To those who think this was all about "touches", usage, shots, wanting to be the "man", etc. - take off the blue and gold glasses and look at the facts. Nobody on Virginia (even their top 10 lottery pick) gets statistical "star treatment" and even the stars on MSU have usage rates 20-30% lower than Markus's. At those two elite programs "The strength of our team is our team" is a way of life - not an empty slogan.

If you see the problem as being about one person (Markus) getting too many touches, then transferring to a true team where the offense is spread around makes a lot of sense.  I agree that anyone who saw Sam as the type of player who demanded to be featured was way off base.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2019, 01:26:15 PM »
1. Agreed

2. I had the same information.

3. Even if that information had turned out to be accurate, I thought your suggestion that the Hausers were "punking" or using Izzo and Bennett was way out of line. In any recruitment there are favorites or leaders reported - and often they end up signing the player. That doesn't mean the other finalists were "used". Guys like Izzo and Bennett still want the chance to give a potential player a final face to face pitch. Your interpretation of the process indicated a predetermined anti Hauser bias IMO. Your apology (which you promised if proven wrong) proves (no surprise) that you're a stand up guy.

4. Agree (and have always felt) that Sam was desperately unhappy. The idea that Joey was the driving force here never made sense given all that Sam was sacrificing (top 10 team in 2020, legacy as a 2nd tier all time great at MU, etc.). Maybe he and Joey were gone regardless of Markus's decision and were giving him the courtesy of announcing first. Maybe they believed that Mojo would  demand more team play if his star left. Either way, doesn't matter to me - IMO Wojo looks bad.

5. Amen.

6. Agree, except for any speculation that he was the "cause of this". Some opine that he's a baby who can't handle criticism. So because of that he left drill sergeant Wojo for easy going Tom Izzo? Hilarious.

7 and 8. Agree.

Stupid post.  MSU and UVa rosters were far more talented than MUs and chock full if guys that could score.  If Marcus did not score alot MU could be offensively bankrupt at times.  Look at Purdue, a more apt comparison. Many PU fans bitched about Edwards useage and that he ball hogged n shot them out of games.  While people that knew a damn thing at basketball knew that PU, just like MU, was an NIT team if their ball hog wasnt scoring 25+ in a game. All the people bitching at edwards were then loving him when he single handedly carried PU to the elite 8 and almost the final 4.  In the elite 8 game where he went off against UVa no other PU player scored in double digits and it wasnt solely because edwards was hogging the ball. It was because his teammates were not that good.  Unfortunately for MU there was a pair of brother and apparently their parent who were more interested in counting shots and touches than the sucess of the entire team.  The young men at Purdue understood who should be shooting and bought into it for the benefit of the team and they enjoyed a B10 championship and an elite 8 run.  Sacar, theo, jamal, and the rest of the fine young men working n committed together for the betterment of the team were on board. The Hausers fixated on their lack of glory and submarined the entire season.  Two incredibly similar situations that ended in two entirely different fashions.  Some can blame a coach they dont like, the rest of the world knows it was the malcontents.
I am glad they will be announcing the schools that they will grace with their mere precense, personally im glad they are announcing so we can leave this saga and classic case of how detrimental selfish individuals can be to a team and its ability to be successful.  Wish them the best if u will, im just glad they are gone.  They destroyed what could have been a magical season, if some want to wish them the best after they did that then so be it
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 01:34:51 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2019, 01:39:24 PM »

Sam definitely would have transferred from MU if he received as much usage as Markus. Because it's all about the team for him, not wanting more shots, says very naive person.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2019, 01:41:40 PM »
And yet, Lenny, reports are they were willing to stay if Markus left.  If that is accurate, it destroys the notion it is Wojo. If it isn't about touches and is about preferential treatment, why stay if Markus leaves?  If it is about preferential treatment, the source, the coach who engaged in it is still there.  Why stay if the one engaged in unfair treatment stays but the object leaves?    That just doesn't  track for me.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 01:45:54 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2019, 01:44:47 PM »
Stupid post.  MSU and UVa rosters were far more talented than MUs and chock full if guys that could score.  If Marcus did not score alot MU could be offensively bankrupt at times.  Look at Purdue, a more apt comparison. Many PU fans bitched about Edwards useage and that he ball hogged n shot them out of games.  While people that knew a damn thing at basketball knew that PU, just like MU, was an NIT team if their ball hog wasnt scoring 25+ in a game. All the people bitching at edwards were then loving him when he single handedly carried PU to the elite 8 and almost the final 4.  In the elite 8 game where he went off against UVa no other PU player scored in double digits and it wasnt solely because edwards was hogging the ball. It was because his teammates were not that good.  Unfortunately for MU there was a pair of brother and apparently their parent who were more interested in counting shots and touches than the sucess of the entire team.  The young men at Purdue understood who should be shooting at bought into it for the benefit of the team and they enjoyed a B10 championship and an elite 8 run.  Sacar, theo, jamal, and the rest of the fine young men working n committed together for the betterment of the team were on board. The Hausers fixated on their lack of glory and submarined the entire season.  Two incredibly similar situations that ended in two entirely different fashions.  Some can blame a coach they dont like, the rest of the world knows it was the malcontents.
I am glad they will be announcing the schools that they will grace with their mere precense, personally im glad they are announcing so we can leave this saga and classic case of how detrimental selfish individuals can be to a team and its ability to be successful.  Wish them the best if u will, im just glad they are gone.  They destroyed what could have been a magical season, if some want to wish them the best after they did that then so be it

So all but a few in this big wide world know that Sam and Joey are malcontents. Thank God for them Izzo and Bennett are among those few fools not as smart as you..

They want to play in a program where team play is emphasized over hero ball. To you that is a sign of selfishness. LMAO.

Today you say they destroyed what could have been a magical season. Last week Sam was pretty good with some glaring flaws and Joey didn't even belong in a 7 or 8 man rotation. Huh?

Often when I read your posts I think "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard". But you always manage to outdo yourself. I guess that's an accomplishment of sorts.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2019, 01:44:57 PM »
And yet, Lenny, reports are they were willing to stay if Markus left.  If that is accurate, it destroys the notion it is Wojo.

Lenny doesn’t like Wojo....period. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2019, 02:04:46 PM »
Sam definitely would have transferred from MU if he received as much usage as Markus. Because it's all about the team for him, not wanting more shots, says very naive person.

The only way anyone could get as much usage as Markus at MU is if we played by Iowa high school girls rules and only 3 players were allowed to cross into the offensive side of half court.

Sam transferred to a school where his usage and shots almost assuredly will NOT increase but his team win totals almost assuredly will. Anyone who is remotely fair and has half a brain can figure out what was and was not important to him.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2019, 02:07:22 PM »
So all but a few in this big wide world know that Sam and Joey are malcontents. Thank God for them Izzo and Bennett are among those few fools not as smart as you..

They want to play in a program where team play is emphasized over hero ball. To you that is a sign of selfishness. LMAO.

Today you say they destroyed what could have been a magical season. Last week Sam was pretty good with some glaring flaws and Joey didn't even belong in a 7 or 8 man rotation. Huh?

Often when I read your posts I think "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard". But you always manage to outdo yourself. I guess that's an accomplishment of sorts.

Agree if Joey bitches and acts like he did at MU, soft and whining Izzo wont care he will bench him for another top 50 kid.  Hes not afraid nothing lost if Joeys not all in.  And yes at times sam n especially joey were offensively bankrupt in the fact that they struggle to score, MU wasnt geared for hero ball but at times when no one else can create a shot then u need a hero.  Ur post only reaffirms what i said

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2019, 02:10:01 PM »
Lenny doesn’t like Wojo....period.
Who cares?  Lots of people dislike Wojo.  There are days I am one of them. 

But if the letter happened... If Sam and Joey were willing to stay if Markus left... I don't see how a case can be made that it wasn't about the Hausers wanting more touches.  Which makes them the parties most reponsible for this.   I just cannot see how players can claim the coach is engaged in favoritism and yet say they will stay if the object of the favoritism leaves.  The coach plays favorites but it is ok if I am the favorite?     The favorite stays so we are leaving?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2019, 02:13:10 PM »
The only way anyone could get as much usage as Markus at MU is if we played by Iowa high school girls rules and only 3 players were allowed to cross into the offensive side of half court.

Sam transferred to a school where his usage and shots almost assuredly will NOT increase but his team win totals almost assuredly will. Anyone who is remotely fair and has half a brain can figure out what was and was not important to him.

Lenny, I'm not saying you are wrong, because no one knows what actually all went down. What I will say, is that you are placing a ton of bias into your statements and opinions, and then concluding that "anyone with half a brain"..."the only logical conclusion is"..."anyone can clearly see"... [your stance here].

There are about a million different variables, questions, possibilities at play here. Only one or two support your narrative. The most likely scenarios is that this was a really emotional, and confusing process involving young men, who were looking after their own interests, and a coach, who was looking out for what is best for the team in the long run. Maybe, one, several or all of them really screwed this situation up. Maybe they actually came to the most reasonable, and mutually beneficial conclusion.

We can't know the details. Spinning wheels, arguing, and throwing people under the bus, in the name of our biased narrative, when we maybe know 3 of a million variables is not good in the long run.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 02:31:25 PM by forgetful »

feedback