collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Official Brewer Playoff Thread  (Read 14987 times)

Mayor McCheese

• All American
The Official Brewer Playoff Thread
« on: September 28, 2008, 04:08:28 PM »
For the first time in my life, Milwaukee has playoff baseball.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: The Official Brewer Playoff Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 04:28:49 PM »
ditto!! Man it feels good!!!

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 04:35:55 PM »
This feeling makes the wait worth it. WOW!
But I like to throw handfuls...

MUAlum99

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 06:19:54 PM »
HELL YEA!  Sucks that it took til the last day of the season, but I'll take it!

Bring on the Phillies! ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because warriors are what we really are."  - Wesley Matthews

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 06:29:03 PM »
HELL YEA!  Sucks that it took til the last day of the season, but I'll take it!

Bring on the Phillies! ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

I like how it came down to the last day... keep the guys playing competitive baseball.. we'll see how they fare, hopefully they won't show up star-struck in the playoffs and blow it, although I don't think some of those players on that team would let that happen.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 07:48:06 PM »
I was in Milwaukee this afternoon, and on my drive back to Chicago I grinned like an idiot well past the state line. Brewers baseball in October. F*** yeah.

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 09:28:34 PM »
I know what I am doing on wednesday... instead of working

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 11:21:54 PM »
ditto!! Man it feels good!!!

Of course it does.  In class you gave up on them a week ago!

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 10:22:44 AM »
I was 5 the last time the Brewers made the playoffs. I've been saying this ever since Yost got canned...Robin Yount's mojo in the dugout carried them to their playoff birth...oh yeah, CC Sabathia = Greatest Trade Acquisition EVER!!!

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 11:31:38 AM »
I assume you guys would finally give CC at least 4 days of rest and go Gallardo, CC, Suppan.

Your thoughts?

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 11:41:52 AM »
I assume you guys would finally give CC at least 4 days of rest and go Gallardo, CC, Suppan.

Your thoughts?

Game 2 is Thursday. That would be 3 days rest again for CC. I'd be shocked if he's not pitching that game. The guy has shown no ill effects from the Baker-esque treatment so far.

jce

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 11:47:53 AM »
Game 2 is Thursday. That would be 3 days rest again for CC. I'd be shocked if he's not pitching that game. The guy has shown no ill effects from the Baker-esque treatment so far.

And its not as if we are going to have to worry about him next year.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 12:01:03 PM »

I agree.  I don't like doing that to him after 122 pitches, but that would keep him available for a Game 5 on full rest.  I'm also hoping for Gallardo Game 1.  Gallardo/Sabathia/Suppan/Bush/Sabathia would be ideal.  We'll see what Sveum pulls out; there's even been mentions of Parra because of Philly's lefties.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 12:17:39 PM »
suppan is effing terrible.

He had better not start.

is Sheets out for sure?

jce

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 12:48:41 PM »
suppan is effing terrible.

He had better not start.

is Sheets out for sure?

Sheets is done for the year.  Suppan pitched great on Friday and at least has playoff experience.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 01:08:44 PM »

Sheets is done for the year.  Suppan pitched great on Friday and at least has playoff experience.

Good riddance. He's just too injury prone for me to really give a crap about him playing in the playoffs or remaining in Milwaukee after this year. I can see a rotation of Gallardo, CC, Suppan, McLung/Bush, and CC.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 01:59:09 PM »
Good riddance. He's just too injury prone for me to really give a crap about him playing in the playoffs or remaining in Milwaukee after this year. I can see a rotation of Gallardo, CC, Suppan, McLung/Bush, and CC.
I don't understand that outlook on Sheets.  Without him this year do we make the playoffs?  Probably not.  He won 13 games this year...not awesome but definitely not terrible.  He had an ERA of just over 3.  Yes he is very injury prone, but he definitely did more good then he did hurt for the Brewers, especially this year.  It's not like he goes out there hoping to get hurt, and as we saw on Saturday it's not like he's faking his injury.  He tried to come out and get us into the playoffs but clearly it just wasn't there.  He was pitching 85 mph fastballs when he regularly pitches mid 90s.  Had he come out and dominated the Cubs in that game, only to come out "hurt" in the 5th or so inning and then announced he couldn't play again the rest of the year it'd be different, but he went out and it wasn't there...he was and is clearly injured.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 02:00:45 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JSwarriors08

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 05:33:25 PM »
I was at the game yesterday.  It was unbelievable.  That's a memory I am going to hang on to forever.  Got to hang out down by the field while they were spraying champagne  :)

Anyway, this Phillies series will be rough.  They really lit up our pitching last time, and I am not feeling very confident about our rotation.

I think Bush or Gallardo/McClung should get the nod on Wednesday, Sabathia Thursday, Suppan Friday, Bush or Gallardo/McClung Saturday and Sabathia on Sunday.  I really hope Parra doesn't get a start.  The Phillies robbed him of every bit of his dignity last time he pitched against them.

Either way, it's awesome to see them playing with a fire and to witness them get in.  I think that they are slightly outmatched, but that the way they ended the season will work to their advantage.  The playoffs are all about who's playing hot, and I think the Brewers are definitely hot right now.  If last years crappy rockies can make it to the series, I think we could have a shot here in the DS.  The "experts" at ESPN all voted red on this one (mostly predicting a 3-1 series), but I think the Brewers will for sure take it to five games and might have a shot if their bats show up.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 07:29:01 PM »
Uhhhhhh...

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload

chapman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 12:08:27 AM »
Sveum has set the rotation

Game 1: Gallardo
Game 2: Sabathia
Game 3: Suppan or Bush
Game 4: Suppan or Bush
Game 5: Sabathia

I like it; and it's something Ned Yost would never have done; Gallardo had been written off to perhaps a bullpen role, and that changed completely when Sveum took over. 

The roster isn't out yet, which should be the next interesting thing.  Doesn't look like Sheets will be on it.  Coffey and Lamb are ineligible despite helping us big time down the stretch.  Unknown if Kapler or Branyan will be healthy enough.  My guess is Sveum adds DiFelice or Stetter to the pen, if not both.  I'd also speculate Tony Gwynn will be there even with limited action in September, because there are only three healthy outfielders otherwise.  If we get lucky Sveum replaces Corey Hart in right with Gwynn.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 02:25:57 AM »

Yeah, and he won't till next year after the yanks shell out 125 mill for him and he breaks down by july.  Might as well ride him now.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 06:45:33 AM »
If we get lucky Sveum replaces Corey Hart in right with Gwynn.

Why? Even though Corey is starting, but Tony Gwynn is a marginal starter if that.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 08:03:31 AM »
because cory hart couldn't hit a beach ball with a tree trunk at this point.

He just isn't seeing the ball... but its hard to sit a guy who has contributed all year except for the last month and a half.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 08:28:43 AM »
because cory hart couldn't hit a beach ball with a tree trunk at this point.

He just isn't seeing the ball... but its hard to sit a guy who has contributed all year except for the last month and a half.

no doubt, he looks like pedro cerrano trying to hit a curve ball...maybe hart needs to sacrifice a live chicken

feedback