collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Straz Tower  (Read 14101 times)

Markusquette

• All American
Straz Tower
« on: August 04, 2008, 08:08:07 PM »
I saw the Carpenter Tower thread and figured I'd ask about Straz.  I'll be in Straz tower this semester and I was curious as to whether anyone has any photos of a double room just so I can get an idea of the space I will have so I know what to bring.  It seems like a great place to live since it has the workout facilities, dining hall, AC, and private bathrooms.  Any comments on the rooms in Straz or any cool facts?  Thanks!

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
Re: Straz Tower
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 08:27:09 PM »
A couple of my buddies lived there during our sophomore year... I don't have pictures or anything, but all I can say is you can pretty much bring anything and everything.  The place is absolutely massive.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 08:46:14 PM »
Agreed. Plan on having space for whatever you could want. We'd throw parties in my room there with 12-15 people no problem without having to move anything out of the way at all.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 09:12:38 PM »
Good old fashion barber shop on the 1st floor too.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 10:25:17 PM »
awesome thanks guys.  All my classes are in johnston/marquette/cudahy as well.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 10:56:18 PM »
Are you a freshman or sophomore?

Also, I love Bob's. Nothing beats the hot shave on the neck and the massage.

EDIT: Nevermind. Saw your post about living in Abbotsford last year. Hope you got a room on the north side of the building. Better view, and the south can get really hot from the sun with those big windows.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 10:58:52 PM by drewm88 »

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 11:14:33 AM »
wow.. I lived in straz when it was called east hall (back in 94-95) and the rooms were anything but spacious.  I had a single with a bathroom and I remember being able to sit on my bed and touch any of the four walls from that spot.  From what I remember all of the rooms were single and half had bathrooms (the others required the occupant to used communal showers/bathrooms).  Don't get me wrong, it was my favorite dorm room of them all, but a fart doubled the amount of air in one of those rooms.

I know they remodeled the building and renamed it to straz a few years ago.. I thought it was just a face lift on the exterior (new windows, trim) and some minor updates in the interior.. didn't realize it was that extensive that they are spacious now.. did they combine every 4 rooms and call them doubles or something?
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 12:34:12 PM »
wow.. I lived in straz when it was called east hall (back in 94-95) and the rooms were anything but spacious.  I had a single with a bathroom and I remember being able to sit on my bed and touch any of the four walls from that spot.  From what I remember all of the rooms were single and half had bathrooms (the others required the occupant to used communal showers/bathrooms).  Don't get me wrong, it was my favorite dorm room of them all, but a fart doubled the amount of air in one of those rooms.

I know they remodeled the building and renamed it to straz a few years ago.. I thought it was just a face lift on the exterior (new windows, trim) and some minor updates in the interior.. didn't realize it was that extensive that they are spacious now.. did they combine every 4 rooms and call them doubles or something?

the rooms were massive when i lived there (2001-2002), and were newly rennovated.  There is a TON of room.  We had our beds bunked, 2 fridges, 2 desks with computer on them, a TV on a stand, a futon, and we had room for a coffee table and a recliner if we wanted one.  The rooms are airconditioned so I wouldn't worry about the sun, and if you are worried about the sun heating the room up, just close the curtains when you aren't in the room.

one thing I don't reccommend doing is playing indoor nerf basketball.  my friends were playing in the room down the hall, bumped the sprinkler head, and it proceeded to empty thousands of gallons of water all over the floor of their room.  It ruined everything they had, and the water unleashed gushed down the hall, and seeped through the floors and everyone from floors 2-5 on the west end were NOT happy campers.

all in all, a great place to live... unless you were like me and had to walk to the health sciences buildings all the time up on 16th.... especially in Feb.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 12:45:25 PM »

The doubles are the small ones, you should see the triples.  I used to set them up working for FS, and those things were friggen huge. 

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 01:01:48 PM »
The doubles are the small ones, you should see the triples.  I used to set them up working for FS, and those things were friggen huge. 

those triples are now quads

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 01:19:54 PM »
I lived in the place the first year it was renovated(2000-2001) and was still East....how many buildings named Straz do we need anyway???  I lived in a triple on 4 facing Wisconsin and it was huge.  Plenty of space for everyone, shaped like a U so everyone almost had their own "wings".  We even had a foosball table in there.  I'm sure it isn't quite as nice now because of the wear and tear, but it was my favorite dorm.  Only place I liked living in more than East was Humphrey cause we didn't have stupid RAs trying to catch us drinking. :)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 02:23:15 PM »
Sounds good.  I'm in an even numbered floor so I heard they faced the street- any truth to that?  Anyway thanks for the information.  Anyone who has pictures of a double would still be appreciated.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 02:43:23 PM »
I also lived there 00-01 and agree they were huge.  I remember the toilets flushed with more force than any I've ever seen.  Great after a night at La Perla.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 02:45:33 PM »
Sounds good.  I'm in an even numbered floor so I heard they faced the street- any truth to that?  Anyway thanks for the information.  Anyone who has pictures of a double would still be appreciated.

lol, i hope you meant even numbred ROOM, not floor... otherwise I would have to question your admission and subsequent completion of your first year at MU. :-P

I'm sure that you could go on MU's website and find a floor plan of the rooms if you wanted exact dimensions.... google is your friend ;)

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 03:20:32 PM »

There are odd and even rooms on each side of the building. It really doesn't make a lot of sense.

I also lived there 00-01 and agree they were huge.  I remember the toilets flushed with more force than any I've ever seen.  Great after a night at La Perla.

I've heard they can take down a Jimmy John's sub whole. Never tried it though, that's a waste of sub.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 04:27:45 PM »
I've heard they can take down a Jimmy John's sub whole. Never tried it though, that's a waste of sub.

Try it about 5 minutes after eating a Jimmy John's sub, it's basically the same principle

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 04:34:50 PM »
haha yeah an even numbered room, sorry.  I was told all the even rooms were on one side which is obviously not the case.  Good news about the toilets too  :D

yellow chickens

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 11:28:09 AM »
what floor are you on? im on the 15th of straz this year

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 12:16:31 PM »

Me and MarqPtm's toilet at Mashuda was able to take a Tag bomb.

What's a Tag bomb you ask?  You wrap duct tape around a bottle of Tag so it doesn't stop spraying and throw it in someones room.  Devestating.  That is unless you have a toilet that can take it down.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 12:35:53 PM »
Me and MarqPtm's toilet at Mashuda was able to take a Tag bomb.

What's a Tag bomb you ask?  You wrap duct tape around a bottle of Tag so it doesn't stop spraying and throw it in someones room.  Devestating.  That is unless you have a toilet that can take it down.

Similar to an Axe bomb. Unfortunately, Axe changed their sprayers such that Axe bombs are no longer feasible. Regardless, they're a lot of fun.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 02:01:27 AM »
what floor are you on? im on the 15th of straz this year

I'll be on the fourth floor.  Are you an honors freshman?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 08:29:13 AM »
Back in my day .. at West Hall, the toilets flushed so hard, we actually lost a roommate.  The Coast Guard picked up his carcass in Lake Michigan.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 08:37:11 AM »
I can tell you from experience don't jump in the refridgerator. I still remember the smell of the place. It was nice after being renovated. but personally I enjoyed the home cooked meals at O'd Better.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

yellow chickens

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 10:16:21 AM »
I'll be on the fourth floor.  Are you an honors freshman?

nope a sophmore

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 06:28:30 PM »
I never stayed at Straz nee East, but contemplated doing so during a summer visit to Milwaukee.

I didn't do it because some Harley dudes were also going to be living on the same floor.

Do they still have the gym in the basement/first floor?

Also, East had one of the worst cafes.

It was O'D then Mashuda for me.
SS Marquette