collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Does Home Field not matter to Milwaukee?  (Read 11560 times)

RJax55

• All American
Re: Does Home Field not matter to Milwaukee?
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 11:01:09 AM »

I'd say a good portion of Cubs fans that came up to Miller Park have gone to Wrigley this year as well.  The reason they came up (all on weekdays mind you) is to support the team.

Exactly right ... When are people going to realize the fact that the Cubs just have a ton of fans and who are willing to support the team no matter if they are playing at Wrigley Field or on the road.

Also, the BS about the Wrigley Field experience as the main reason why the Cubs are popular needs to stop as well. The Cubs tremendous growth in attendance and popularity from late 70's/early 80's to now is due to a whole host of factors. Is the Wrigley Field experience a significant part of the equation, yes ... However there are other factors that IMO happen to be just as significant or even more significant.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 11:44:48 AM »
A. Busch Stadium (the one before the one they are at now) had a capacity of around 52,000 before they put all that stuff in their upper deck around 1998.  Even after they did that their capacity was 49,676.  Even after the Cubs expanded the bleachers at Wrigley in 2006 the capacity only made it up to 41,118.  St. Louis has always had a far larger ballpark.

B.  I will give you though that the Cubs didn't draw well in the 60's, 70's, and 80's but based on your numbers no one did.

C.  I'll never understand Brewers fans claiming the Braves World Series.  By that logic the Cubs won a World Series in 2005.  Same city.  Different franchise.

A. Yes, it was bigger.  But I don't see how that matters to the arguement.  The Cubs were drawing badly so there were still plenty of great seats available. 

B.  You're right, attendance has definitely increased since then, thats why I compared the Cubs against other teams, not just raw numbers.

C. That was more in response to the general Milwaukee comment about not supporting their team, and certainly has nothing to do with the Brewers.  I was referring to Milwaukee baseball fans in general, not fans for a specific team.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 07:59:18 AM »
big difference btwn mke fans talking abt the Braves WS and Cubs fans talking abt the White Sox WS is that Chicago has two teams, and has for a very long time. Each of these teams have a different fan base. In Milwaukee, after the Braves left, there was a bit of a lull before the Pilots came in. There were never two teams in Milwaukee and how many Chicagoans do you know that actually support both baseball franchises?? The people in Milwaukee never supported two Milwaukee franchises at once because there never were two! I'm a Brewers fan and have been my whole life but the Braves have always been one of the teams I've liked as well because of that connection to Hank Aaron and the city as a whole.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 10:11:47 AM »
Same city.  Different franchise.  No different.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2008, 10:25:28 AM »
Same city.  Different franchise.  No different.

?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2008, 10:41:49 AM »
The Braves organization won a World Series in Milwaukee.  That's why the Brewers don't have a pennant showing that in Miller Park.

The White Sox organization won a World Series in Chicago.  That's why the Cubs don't have a pennant showing that at Wrigley Field.

Yet Brewer fans claim the Braves World Series win.  Why?  It's the Braves? I don't care if it was your city or not.  If you are going to claim the Braves, Cubs fans could claim the White Sox World Series win.   

My favorite is when the Braves play at Miller Park and the Brewers give out Braves nesting dolls and the Brewers wear Milwaukee Braves.  Hilarious.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2008, 10:43:57 AM »
Most Brewers fans WERE Braves fans before they moved if they are older. If they are younger fans, they still know the history of the sport in the city.  It's a tribute from the organization to another one that helped this city out in terms of it's baseball support.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2008, 10:48:04 AM »
Think of it like this.

Do the Mets claim the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants World Series wins?

Do the Philadelphia Phillies claim the wins of the Philadelphia Athletics?

The only team that claims the wins of another franchise in their city besides the Brewers is the Washington Nationals who claim everything from the Washington Senators.  The Senators are now the Twins and the Rangers.

Do you really want to be like the Washington Nationals?

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2008, 10:49:21 AM »
The Braves organization won a World Series in Milwaukee.  That's why the Brewers don't have a pennant showing that in Miller Park.

The White Sox organization won a World Series in Chicago.  That's why the Cubs don't have a pennant showing that at Wrigley Field.

Yet Brewer fans claim the Braves World Series win.  Why?  It's the Braves? I don't care if it was your city or not.  If you are going to claim the Braves, Cubs fans could claim the White Sox World Series win.   

My favorite is when the Braves play at Miller Park and the Brewers give out Braves nesting dolls and the Brewers wear Milwaukee Braves.  Hilarious.

Its not Brewers fans claiming the Braves World Series win, it is Milwaukee baseball fans that have supported both teams.  My response was against the claim that Milwaukee fans (not Brewers fans) don't support their team.  I came back and showed how it can be cyclical.  You ignore my response and made some stupid, snide comments.  The only time I have ever reference the Braves was in response to Milwaukee arguments, not Brewers arguments.  

Now, if I said Chicago baseball teams suck, I would have no problem with you referencing the Sox recent title.

If I said the Cubs suck, then obviously you wouldn't bring up the Sox.

If anyone brings up the Braves in a discussion about the Brewers feel free to donkey punch them.  If they bring it up in a discussion of Milwaukee baseball, I would think you could realize that's two different discussions.

You know what I like?  When somebody can't read what has been posted and comprehend it properly.  Hilarious!!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:51:40 AM by jmayer1 »

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2008, 10:53:39 AM »
Think of it like this Titan, u aren't listening to anything jmayer or myself are saying. You'll come back w/ your standard, "i understand that, but..." like u do w/ every other argument and not listen to what's being said. MILWAUKEE baseball fans were being bashed so the Braves came into the picture. If just the Brewers were brought up, then fine, no Braves included. But you can't just forget about the years they were here because a number of memorable events happened during that time period. Just like a pig headed, arrogant Cubs fan (not all cubs fans are like this) to ignore the points being brought up and just spin things to be self servicing.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2008, 10:55:14 AM »
Think of it like this.

Do the Mets claim the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants World Series wins?

Do the Philadelphia Phillies claim the wins of the Philadelphia Athletics?

The only team that claims the wins of another franchise in their city besides the Brewers is the Washington Nationals who claim everything from the Washington Senators.  The Senators are now the Twins and the Rangers.

I am still rooting for the Arizona Cardinals to win a Super Bowl so Chicago can have another title.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2008, 10:56:27 AM »
Most Brewers fans WERE Braves fans before they moved if they are older. If they are younger fans, they still know the history of the sport in the city.  It's a tribute from the organization to another one that helped this city out in terms of it's baseball support.

I wouldn't say most Brewer fans.  Considering the team left in what 1965?  1966? I'd say the majority of Brewer fans have only known the Brewers.

Unless you're 65 or older you really have no good recollection of the Braves being in Milwaukee.  I'm not saying they aren't out there but I'd say most Brewer fans are younger than 65.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2008, 11:07:24 AM »
if they were older...can u read TT. so the older generation in MKE and the surrounding area that are Brewers fans were also Braves fans.  Will you learn how to read everything in it's entirety?? that can't be good for looking over specs and bids for you

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2008, 11:35:09 AM »
Airport project.

I'm just saying no more of this "you haven't one in 100 years" crap if you are going to claim another franchise. 

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2008, 11:39:25 AM »
Airport project.

I'm just saying no more of this "you haven't one in 100 years" crap if you are going to claim another franchise. 

wow, still can't quite understand

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2008, 11:56:08 AM »
Airport project.

Whether or not Milwaukee baseball fans claim the Braves has nothing to do with the indisputable fact that the Cubs haven't won a world series since 1908, which, by my math, and I think everyone else's, is 100 years.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2008, 12:16:37 PM »
Do you guys realize you have never won a World Series?

Yes the Cubs have been around longer but we won 2 World Series in our first 32 years of existance.  You've won zero in your first 39 years.

EDIT:  Also we won the National League 6 times before the American League was even around to have a World Series with.

You're on pace for a crappier century than we are..
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 12:19:15 PM by TallTitan34 »

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2008, 12:20:38 PM »
Do you guys realize you have never won a World Series?

Yes the Cubs have been around longer but we won 2 World Series in our first 32 years of existance.  You've won zero in your first 39 years.

Congratulations on winning the world series when there were about 8 teams.  Those titles are about as relevant today as the packers titles under the direction of curly lambeau. 

All the Brewers have to do is win 2 in the next 93 and they'll be tied with the scrubs. 

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2008, 12:36:34 PM »
You're assuming the Cubs won't win a single World Series in the next 93 years.  Are you really willing to bet that?

Congradulations winning the World Series when there were.... oh wait you didn't.

Can we stop the World Series arguement.  It is the most unintelligent arguement one can make when comparing teams and I am embarassed that I even just took part in it.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2008, 12:43:54 PM »
You're assuming the Cubs won't win a single World Series in the next 93 years.  Are you really willing to bet that?

Congradulations winning the World Series when there were.... oh wait you didn't.

Can we stop the World Series arguement.  It is the most unintelligent arguement one can make when comparing teams and I am embarassed that I even just took part in it.

Talking to you is like talking to my 5 year old cousin because I have to explain everything to you. 

Buddy, if the Brewers win two in the next 93 years they will be tied with the cubs for world series during the team's first 132 years.  I thought the point I was making would be easy to see, seeing as how you started comparing the first 32 & 39 years of the franchises, but I guess I keep overestimating your intelligence.

Why is the world series arguement unintelligent?  The last time I checked the goal of every MLB team at the start of every spring training is to win a world series. THe only thing that is embrassing is that your team has gone ONE HUNDRED years without winning one.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2008, 12:56:20 PM »
THe only thing that is embrassing is that your team has gone ONE HUNDRED years without winning one.

I thought this thread was about how embarrassing it was for Brewers fans to be upstaged in their own ballpark.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2008, 01:02:39 PM »
I thought this thread was about how embarrassing it was for Brewers fans to be upstaged in their own ballpark.

Do you have a statistic to measure this?   ;D

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2008, 01:04:30 PM »
Why is the world series arguement unintelligent?  The last time I checked the goal of every MLB team at the start of every spring training is to win a world series. THe only thing that is embrassing is that your team has gone ONE HUNDRED years without winning one.

It's the most basic repsonse any fan can have.  Even a dumb fan can say when's the last time you won a World Series.  A real arguement consists of stats, player comparisions, pitching rotations, batting order, defense, fundamentals.  A true fan can agrue those points.  The World Series argument is whats used by the drunk girl at the baseball game who can't name anyone on either team.  

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2008, 01:06:23 PM »

Haha yeah we definately got off topic on this one.  Let's move it to the pissing match thread.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2008, 01:10:27 PM »
It's the most basic repsonse any fan can have.  Even a dumb fan can say when's the last time you won a World Series.  A real arguement consists of stats, player comparisions, pitching rotations, batting order, defense, fundamentals.  A true fan can agrue those points.  The World Series argument is whats used by the drunk girl at the baseball game who can't name anyone on either team.  

I'll agree with that response, however its still fun to say.  I try to provide all the things you noted are key to a real arguement, but more often than not you don't hold up you end of the bargain and simply offer sarcastic comments that may or may not be backed up by facts.