collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Favre Rumblings  (Read 8430 times)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Favre Rumblings
« on: July 31, 2008, 09:44:53 AM »
As a Bears fan, I am happy to report that the Packers are considering trading #4 to a divisional opponent,  namely the Vikes or Bears.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/60278
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
Re: Favre Rumblings
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 10:11:48 AM »
The Packers have also offered Brett $20M to stay retired. We'll see where that goes.

From CNNSI

Pack offers Favre $20M to stay retired
Posted: Thursday July 31, 2008 06:10AM ET
Though NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is waiting at least one more day to reinstate Brett Favre, neither that extra time nor a $20 million offer from the team to stay retired will resolve the Green Bay Packers' impasse with their record-setting quarterback or prevent him from reporting to training camp. Packers President and Chief Executive Officer Mark Murphy met with Favre and Favre's agent, Bus Cook, on Wednesday at Cook's office in Hattiesburg, Miss., but Murphy was unable to convince Favre not to report to training camp. Murphy didn't have much football related to entice Favre to stay home, though a source close to Favre said the team raised the possibility of paying Favre a substantial salary -- about $20 million over 10 years -- to stay retired. "We're going to do whatever Brett wants to do," Cook told the Hattiesburg American after the meeting. "And right now, his intention is to go back to Green Bay and play football."

Green Bay Press-Gazette
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 10:15:11 AM by mosarsour »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 11:35:38 AM »
Favre has Thompson and Murphy by the curlies. If you think this has been a public relation's nightmare, wait and see the fan's reaction when the team is winless after 4 games and Rodgers sucks sewer water.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 11:50:55 AM »
As a Bears fan, I am happy to report that the Packers are considering trading #4 to a divisional opponent,  namely the Vikes or Bears.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/60278

I would be truely amazed if that happened but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 12:22:10 PM »
my fan card might have to be revoked if such an abbhorent decision were made.

plus TT better not show his face in the state.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 12:38:09 PM »
As an outsider non-packer fan, I just don't understand this situation one bit.

You have two QBs who are under contract and ready to report to camp.  One is a hall of famer who had a pretty decent year last season, and probably will be in the upper third of all QBs next year.

One is a nearly untested bench warmer. 

And your front-office is trying everything in their power to keep best guy off the team, off the field?  Makes no sense.   Sure, sure, Rodgers could be "the future" but .. the conversion rate on "the future" QBs is far less than half. 

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 12:54:43 PM »

You have two QBs who are under contract and ready to report to camp.  One is a hall of famer who had a pretty decent year last season, and probably will be in the upper third of all QBs next year.

And your front-office is trying everything in their power to keep best guy off the team, off the field?  Makes no sense.   Sure, sure, Rodgers could be "the future" but .. the conversion rate on "the future" QBs is far less than half. 

Pretty much my thoughts (as a bears fan) except, i don't think decent is accurate.  He had a great year.  THey were a play away from the superbowl.  He gives them the best chance to win a championship this year, that is all that matters, not his past, not rodgers future.  Why do they act like they owe rogers something?

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 01:25:39 PM »
Pretty much my thoughts (as a bears fan) except, i don't think decent is accurate.  He had a great year.  THey were a play away from the superbowl.  He gives them the best chance to win a championship this year, that is all that matters, not his past, not rodgers future.  Why do they act like they owe rogers something?

Basically one play from the Super Bowl in overtime.  Way to cast off your hall of fame QB.  13-3 last year with 2 of those coming to the Bears.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 01:45:11 PM »

Because some people in the league believe there is a bit more going on behind the scenes on this.  Rodgers is the one that is screwed.  If he throws a few picks early, something Favre did all the time, the fans will come down on him.  A double standard to be sure, but that's reality.

Personally, I'm enjoying the entire thing and getting a giggle out of it.  Thompson and McCarthy are very good football men and they have both said Rodgers is their guy.  That seems to say to me that they think they have a player on their hands and want to go with him.

Is the Favre of last year going to return to form again this year or is he going to suck sewer water (to use my pal 4ever's words) like he did the previous 2 years.  I don't know the answer, but it seems Thompson and McCarthy want to go with Rodgers who could be their long term solution.  Favre is not their long term solution and that may be how they're viewing it.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 02:36:35 PM »
Why do they act like they owe rogers something?

Simple, because of the contracts that unproven rookies receive.  Now I understand that Rodgers wasn't drafted at the top end, but it still goes to show you that money is too high.  You see it every year when a veteran guy gets a little extra nudge out the door because of what they have invested in the 1st rounder.  Am I still a little bitter that the Bears kept Benson and trade Jones, yes but I still think this plays a part in the equation.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

reinko

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 02:48:02 PM »

Is the Favre of last year going to return to form again this year or is he going to suck sewer water (to use my pal 4ever's words) like he did the previous 2 years. 

Chicos, you are not implying that Favre had a crappy season last year did you?  He did come in 2nd in MVP voting.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 02:53:46 PM »
Chicos, you are not implying that Favre had a crappy season last year did you?  He did come in 2nd in MVP voting.

Not trying to answer for Chicos, but to make it easier to follow.  Well maybe I am trying to answer, after all I gotta get my number of posts up.

Last season= Good
Season before last season= bad
Season before that= bad
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 02:55:26 PM »

Some have argued (Dan Lebatard) that Favre didn't have a great season last year.  Rather, the team around him got better...improved running game, better line play, and the arrival of Jennings.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 03:05:26 PM »

Chicos is talking about 2005 and 2006 when Favre sucked balls.  

I would be really curious to see some people's reactions if this happened before last season.  I am a huge Packers fan but I want to see Favre leave.  Once he said he was retired the team needed to move on and they did exactly that.  

Rodgers will be a free agent after this year.  If Favre comes back this year there is no way Rodgers is going to stay a Packer.  What happens if Favre has a bad year (pretty likely) and then retires again?  Then the Packers have no viable options at QB, unless you consider Brohm to be a savior.  In addition, I believe allowing Favre to compete against Rodgers will be a huge circus and distraction to the team and possibly shatter Rodgers' confidence.  

In the past 10 years, Favre has had a qb rating in the 70s 4 years, the 80s 2 years, and the 90s 4 years.  There is no guarantee that Favre will have an all-pro type season again this year.  In additon, Favre came up pretty small in the biggest game last year and has played terribly in 5 of the last 7 playoff games (all losses).  

I love Brett Favre and I always will but he is not bigger than the Packers and the organization shouldn't let him hold them hostage.   Also, the Packers shouldn't trade or release Favre so that a divisional opponent can get their hands on him and have a chance to exact revenge.  If he doesn't want to go to the teams the Packers are willing to trade him to, tough sh*t.  You can stay at home on your tractor and mow the grass, but the Packers definitely shouldn't pay him to do it.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 03:29:06 PM »
I know it's difficult, but if you're a Packers fan (obviously I'm not) you should take all emotional value out of this, and if all the offers are on the table, and either the Bears or Vikings offer you the highest amount for Favre, how do you not trade him to either team?

You're going with Rodgers (barring injury), it's a done deal. Brett Favre is not going to be your quarterback, period. If you value improving your ball club, and you can get a 2nd round pick (going rate for what Favre will get you) for a player that you have no intention of using, you should do it in a heartbeat. You're going to have to beat the Bears or Vikings regardless of who their qb is.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 03:49:38 PM »

No, quite the opposite.  Last year he had a good year, the 2 years prior he had crappy years.  I guess what I'm asking is what version will show up this year.  The guy that had a very good year last year or the guy that had two poor years the years prior to last year.

I don't know the answer.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
Favre=Manny Ramirez. 

The Red Sox didn't trade him within the same league, much less the same division. 

Thanks Brett.  When you retire and make it to the HOF I hope you go in as the QB of Oak Grove HS per Bus.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 01:21:33 PM »
From a non-GB nor NFC central fan's POV, if Favre takes that money he should be seen as a sell-out.

Why go through all this trouble, unless it was for arm twisting the GB organization (read: GB fans and stockholders) for more money?

Boo to you, Brett. You'd better go somewhere else and play and turn down that money.
SS Marquette

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 01:28:29 PM »
From a non-GB nor NFC central fan's POV, if Favre takes that money he should be seen as a sell-out.

Why go through all this trouble, unless it was for arm twisting the GB organization (read: GB fans and stockholders) for more money?

Boo to you, Brett. You'd better go somewhere else and play and turn down that money.

Not sure I follow. He'd make a lot more money (per year, anyway) playing than he would if he takes the non-playing position with the Packers.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 03:06:04 PM »

Regardless of how well he does, John Madden will always give Favre that one vote he received last year.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 03:22:57 PM »
Regardless of how well he does, John Madden will always give Favre that one vote he received last year.

There is quite a love affair with those two (and others).

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 03:42:24 PM »
There is quite a love affair with those two (and others).

go to about 5 minutes in...classic

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 03:51:06 PM »
To start this rant, I will admit I love Brett Favre an dlove what he did for the Packers.  I grew up 20 miles from Lambeau, and sold popcorn at more than a few games.  ok, now that that is out of the way...

actually Favre won't be a free agent until after the 2010 season.

The problem is that Favre made his decision, the packers moved on, drafted, and prepared to have Rogers as the starter.  Players developed relationships, the playbook was changed, and everything was fine.  Then Brett throws in a monkey wrench that "HE" wants to play again.

If this was the case, don't effing retire in the first place.  He says the Packers forced him to make a decision before the draft.  Well too effing bad.  You could have decided to say you were going to stay, and then if you didn't want to play you could have retired in July and no one would have thrown their arms up and said, "The sky is falling!"

Brett Favre has only proven that he is an attention whore who only cares about Brett Favre.  He really could care less about the Packers organization as evidenced by his childish behaviour and the 'aw shucks' attitude he displays everywhere he goes.

He has a lot of people fooled, and its really too bad that the guy they look up to is hijacking the organization, and ruining the future of his TEAMMATES and his ORGANIZATION.

Its all about Brett.  Remember that.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 04:12:38 PM »
agree with you on all counts.