[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dwight Buycks to MU!!  (Read 47794 times)

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Re: Dwight Buycks to MU!!
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2008, 10:12:21 PM »
Anthony Pieper was tough, too!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2008, 10:32:48 PM »
Great signing.  Buycks had some big programs on him.  Mark Miller has stated that Buycks is clearly better than Lacy.  IWB mentions that at least one analyst has Buycks as the best JUCO player.  The kid is a stat stuffer similar to McNeal.  He can score, make the assist, rebound and make the steal.  He will play big minutes his jr year rotating between the 1 and 2 as he will have a ton of experience.  Also gives Buzz flexibility in filling that final scholarship on the best player available.  09 class was a weak class for pg so signing Buycks was huge.  We have a great backup pg who can slide over to the 2 spot in 2010 when Buzz can go after a big time point guard with a lot of playing time.  This team is shaping up very nicely.   

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2008, 10:42:47 PM »
Buycks also has a 3.6 gpa in JUCO.  Maybe this is why Buzz cooled on Lacy.  I still think a quality PG wouldn't hurt.  Buzz may have some other options in mind.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

mviale

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Buzz goes JUCO again
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2008, 10:44:27 PM »
Cant tell if you are spinning negativity or a positive here. 
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2008, 10:49:57 PM »
If Buzz is a great recruiter he will get us a solid PG!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2008, 10:50:09 PM »
watching the film of Dwight and it looks like he is playing the generals(defenders falling down on the court).  I understand how SC was Mr Basketball in Wisconsin.
You clearly haven't seen any City Conference games...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2008, 10:56:39 PM »
I think we need to recruit two point guards this year. I think this is our backup. Now we need a good freshmen point guard and hopefully a bigman. This leaves Wilson out.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2008, 11:05:51 PM »
I think Lacy's style of play and size does not give us what we need. I think we should give Buzz credit for looking elsewhere. I also think we shoud give Buzz credit for swithcing to recruiting Maymon and backing off Wilson. First of all I think Maymon turns out to be the better player. Second of all, if Wilson is truly waiting until March of 2009 to decide, it becomes a big risk to wait on him.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2008, 05:57:30 AM »
Why wouldn't Bucyks transfer now and play and play this season as a soph?  He'd have 3  years of eligibility, right?

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2008, 06:20:23 AM »
Why wouldn't Bucyks transfer now and play and play this season as a soph?  He'd have 3  years of eligibility, right?

he was a non-qualifier out of high school.......Buycks needs the 2-yr credits and GPA to get into MU

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2008, 06:49:50 AM »
NYW - are you saying he will enter MU as a soph academically but will have junior eligibility?

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2008, 06:57:36 AM »
NYW - are you saying he will enter MU as a soph academically but will have junior eligibility?

he'd be a junior both academically and athletically when he arrives in the fall of 2009

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2008, 07:59:37 AM »
Is this really that good of a get?...kinda seems like filling a roster spot. Who else was really serious about the kid? Kinda seems like an academic liability? I am optimistic but a little concerned about picking him up.

That's what everyone said about Nick Van Exel, and MU didn't give him a scholarship either.  He of course went to Cinncy and helped create a true rivalry (until Huggins was forced out).

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2008, 08:13:40 AM »
Not sure how I feel about this signing.  At the same time, I'm not going to jump to any conclusions about him and his ability to play in D1.  However watching some of those clips and reading about him does make me trust Buzz and what he's trying to do.  I think the Buycks has some pretty good handles and a decent ability to finish in traffic.  His jump shot looks nice as well.  The only thing that keeps me in limbo is that there isn't enough information about him.  BUT....knowing that teams like Memphis and Illinois were after them does make me feel better about it.  I'm looking forward to seeing what his teammates say about him and how he looks when he steps on the court.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
I'm mixed as well.  He sounds talented and it's obvious he's a scorer.  But he is somewhat undersized for a 2, and his poor three point shooting needs to improve.  I also have to hope this isn't our big PG get, but someone that can play PG but usually off-guard.  Hopefully all these JUCO players are as good as they're being billed.  I'll take poor performances with freshmen that can mature over poor performanced with JUCO players that graduate before they can improve.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2008, 09:17:59 AM »
I think I'm in the same boat as most people on this pick up.  Reading mark's article it mentions that his high school coach said that a lot of high major programs were picking up interest.  Schools like Memphis, Tennessee, and the guy even mentioned North Carolina.  That all being said you still have to wonder about his impact in 09.  We'll see i guess!

nola03

« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2008, 09:32:08 AM »
You might be right....I wonder how accurate the claims of offers to Memphis, Illinois, etc are.  Were they offers or interest.

Don't know, just asking. 

In a Scout.com article dated May 31, 2008 the Iowa State forum writer Greg Ohlson stated that "Dwight holds no current scholarship offers" but was receiving interest from Iowa State, Kentucky, Indiana, Marquette, and Tennessee.

From that it seems the interest from those schools was limited to postal letters.

MUONTOP

• Starter
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
I'm looking at his stats from his first year at Juco and I have one question that I don't know if anyone can answer.   Does anyone know what this kid did in first year at JUCO to jump from interest in his senior year of high school from middle tier schools like Bradley, UNI and UWGB to upper tier schools like Memphis, Illinois and us???? I know stats don't say everything but I'd be interested to know what happened to cause such a shift.

DanceHallPlayer

• Walk-On
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2008, 10:07:16 AM »
MUONTOP said
Does anyone know what this kid did in first year at JUCO to jump from interest in his senior year of high school from middle tier schools like Bradley, UNI and UWGB to upper tier schools like Memphis, Illinois and us???? I know stats don't say everything but I'd be interested to know what happened to cause such a shift.

Memphis was interested in him when he was still in high school. The JS article that mentions Memphis is from January 2007.
file:///C:/Users/dhoughton/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.IE5/P45VEX3L/White%20Guy%20Cant%20Jump.gif

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2008, 10:28:04 AM »
I'm looking at his stats from his first year at Juco and I have one question that I don't know if anyone can answer.   Does anyone know what this kid did in first year at JUCO to jump from interest in his senior year of high school from middle tier schools like Bradley, UNI and UWGB to upper tier schools like Memphis, Illinois and us???? I know stats don't say everything but I'd be interested to know what happened to cause such a shift.

I think there was always some interest from bigger schools but his academics were a huge concern and rightly so as he failed to qualify.

Check out this link from Scout and scroll down to Mark Miller's comments on the kid and the stats he put up in the 2006 WYB Shootout.  Now that is a great stat stuffer.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=415#s=415&f=2850&t=2586142

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2008, 11:28:24 AM »
did not realize that Bucyks is the top rated JUCO player in the nation!  I'm liking this acquisition more and more.

jce

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2008, 12:05:57 PM »
I think Cracked Sidewalks hit it on the head.  Acker is likely not the answer in 2009-10 - neither is a freshman.  This guy will have some experience and can come in and run the point.  We should still recruit a PG, such as Lacy, and if this guy can't cut it, we have only committed to two years.

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Former Bay View star Buycks commits
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2008, 12:45:03 PM »
Former Bay View star Buycks commits

Written by: Todd Rosiak

Dwight Buycks, a former Milwaukee Bay View High School standout, announced his intention to play for Marquette University at a news conference early Monday evening.

"(Location) was mainly one of the big points," said Buycks, surrounded by family and friends in Bay View's gym. "My family's at home, and if I was to go somewhere far, traveling for my family wouldn't be so easy. They're up and down, they get it out fast, and that's really how I play.

"So based on that and the coaches, how our relationship clicked in real fast, that made it real good, too. It all came down good." 

Buycks, a 6-foot-3, 185-pound guard, played last season as a freshman at Indian Hills Community College in Ottumwa, Iowa, helping the Warriors to a 28-10 record and a fifth-place finish in the NJCAA National Tournament.

He led Indian Hills in scoring at 15.7 points per game, while also averaging 4.2 rebounds, 2.6 assists and 1.8 steals. Buycks shot 45.5% overall (172 for 378), 26.3% from three-point range (31 for 118) and 70.9% from the free-throw line (95 for 134), and was an honorable mention All-American.

Buycks (pronounced bikes) is the third player to commit to MU's 2009-'10 recruiting class, joining Texas forward Erik Williams and Madison Memorial forward Jeronne Maymon.

He said he chose the Golden Eagles over Memphis, Tennessee, Kentucky and Illinois.  

Buycks averaged 19.9 points, 7.0 rebounds and 5.1 assists en route to being named first team all-state by the Associated Press during the 2006-'07 season at Bay View. He had orally committed to Bradley University in December of 2006, but changed his mind last April.

Buycks will have two years of eligibility once he arrives at MU. He says he considers himself a point guard, and that he played roughly half of last season at that position at Indian Hills. Buycks played mostly point guard at Bay View as well.

"(Coach Buzz Williams) asked me where I feel comfortable," said Buycks. "It really didn't matter. He said he could see me as a combo guard or a point guard, either one. It comes natural." 

MU has two additional scholarships available, and at this point it appears as though both will be earmarked for the 2009-'10 class as well.

Additionally, here's a link to the news conference, courtesy of SportsBubbler.com.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/06/16/bay-view-s-buycks-commits-to-mu.aspx

MUCrew

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Former Bay View star Buycks commits to MU
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2008, 01:54:57 PM »
He led Indian Hills in scoring at 15.7 points per game, while also averaging 4.2 rebounds, 2.6 assists and 1.8 steals. Buycks shot 45.5% overall (172 for 378), 26.3% from three-point range (31 for 118) and 70.9% from the free-throw line (95 for 134), and was an honorable mention All-American.

I am not a huge fan of those numbers AS a point guard.  I know in the article it said that he split time at both positions.  Maybe he was being used differently in the Indian Hills system, I don't know...but those aren't good point guard numbers.  However, as it has been stated before:  Stats aren't everything

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2008, 04:13:50 PM »
I'm pleased with this get.  A combo guard with obvious talent could really help out with scoring once our big three are gone.  Now all Buzz needs is to nab a great big guy and a skilled passing and ball handling PG and this could be one of Marquette's best recruiting classes ever.