[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dwight Buycks to MU!!  (Read 47727 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: Dwight Buycks to MU!!
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 05:51:04 PM »
Are you classifying either Maymon and Eric Williams as "fliers"?  I don't think so. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
I guess this nola guy's got to find something to bitch about....including landing the best player in Wisconsin. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 05:56:37 PM »
I have to say I wish we were a bit more selective on guys with grade issues....that includes while Crean was here as well.

Probably sounds like sour grapes, but I'd rather we weren't taking so many higher risk players the last 5 years in the academic area.  Hope it works out for the young man and MU.

Welcome aboard Dwight.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 05:57:46 PM »
Maybe Nola was talking about "academic" fliers, not athletic fliers.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 05:58:32 PM »
Are you classifying either Maymon and Eric Williams as "fliers"?  I don't think so. 

Maymon is an academic flier, I don't think anyone can argue with that.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 06:04:30 PM »
Maybe Nola was talking about "academic" fliers, not athletic fliers. 

That would make sense except how is Buycks an academic flier for MU if he gets his associate degree. 

nola03

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2008, 06:08:38 PM »
I guess this nola guy's got to find something to bitch about....including landing the best player in Wisconsin. 

Actually, that's the direct opposite description of my behavior over the last 6-7 years in these forums.

No one in this thread has written about Buycks' game. You wrote he was a very nice get so I assumed you had actually seen him play. Seems no one has seen him play too much recently and are basing opinions over his Bay View days.

I was talking about academic fliers. Buycks couldn't qualify out of Bay View and is at JUCO which isn't a certainty to qualify for MU. However, in Mark Miller's article Buycks' coach gives him rave reviews from the classroom so perhaps there will be no issue.

With this commit official, Jamil Wilson is gone and we may soon fall out of favor with a lot of the New York guards/swingmen who seemed to be options A, B, C. Must land a top flight PG and with Buzz' superior recruiting ability that should be no trouble.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 06:10:58 PM »
You and I both know you were trying to be smart. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 06:25:10 PM »
That would make sense except how is Buycks an academic flier for MU if he gets his associate degree. 

Time will tell.  Bayview players of late have seemed to have a tough time making grades.  Perhaps it's more perception then reality.

Hope it works out.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 06:38:03 PM »
Time will tell.  Bayview players of late have seemed to have a tough time making grades.  Perhaps it's more perception then reality.

Hope it works out.

I've heard from no one about any current academic problems with Buycks.   Time will tell and to end my thoughts on this thread I apologize to nola if you were being serious.  I have never seen Buycks in live action. 

detroitwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 06:46:19 PM »
I am not sure how I feel about this signing. While I think it is important to try and land stud Wisconsin players ( and I do not know if Buycks is in that realm), I also like the idea of trying to make inroads on stud players from the East Coast who want to play in the Big East and might come to Marquette. With his committment, we are probably out of the running for Omari Lawrence and others who I believe had scheduled visits this summer. I also am not a fan of a lot of juco transfers who only get to play two years.
Once a warrior always a warrior.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 06:59:47 PM »

With this commit official, Jamil Wilson is gone and we may soon fall out of favor with a lot of the New York guards/swingmen who seemed to be options A, B, C. Must land a top flight PG and with Buzz' superior recruiting ability that should be no trouble.

What does the commitment of a two guard have to do with Jamil Wilson? I don't see the logic at work here. MU still have two scholies to give, and while it seems certain one will/should go to a point guard, the other would seem wide open. If anyting, the commitment of Maymon may have ended MU's chances/interest in Wilson, but not this one.

Also, if those New York guards/swingmen were options A, B, C, why is Buzz taking a commitment from this kid? Is he so fearful of not having his class filled up by July he'll gladly take his fourth option?

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2008, 07:12:01 PM »
i still get the feeling this is simply filling a roster spot, personally (at this point) this seems a little disappointing, especially if he is for 2009. i feel like we could have done better, time will tell I suppose. How can you not feel a little disappointed that we are getting a commitment from 1) a Juco 2) has academic issues 3) supposedly only has offers from maybe bradley and iowa state?? (kinda hard to determine what interest levels were from other schools, but that interest could have been one phone call to the kid or watching him play once. Just because a school shows interest doesn't necessarily mean the kid is of highest priority, look at how many kids now have marquette showing "interest" in them under buzz) 4) does not seem like a big east PG or 2G...

hoping for the best but at this point seems like a less than a good get
Tradition Never Graduates..

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2008, 07:20:43 PM »
For those of you that have seen Buycks play how do you rate his quickness/speed/athleticism? How does he compare in those areas to other top guards from Milwaukee like Korie Lucious and Diante Garrett? Thanks in advance.

Big Daddy Z

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2008, 07:46:17 PM »
Can Buycks play defense?

MUFan71

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2008, 08:51:31 PM »
 I saw Buycks play at Bay View and wondered why he was not on MU's radar. The answer was probably grades. He sure could score points in a hurry and seemed to fit MU's style of play.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2008, 08:55:17 PM »
He's only a 6' 2"    26% trey shooter----that isn't BE material for a PG or wing, IMO.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2008, 09:02:23 PM »
He's only a 6' 2"    26% trey shooter----that isn't BE material for a PG or wing, IMO.

You might be right....I wonder how accurate the claims of offers to Memphis, Illinois, etc are.  Were they offers or interest.

Don't know, just asking. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2008, 09:04:23 PM »

And he's a 70% FT shooter?

I hope Buzz's standards are not slipping in favor of the "big name catches"...
SS Marquette

MUFan71

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2008, 09:06:06 PM »
Dominic James 5-11 sometimes a pg could hold the three ball a little. Here are his stats.

SEASON MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF FG% FT% 3P% PPS
2005-2006 32.5 15.3 4.5 5.4 2.8 1.92 1.6 .4 2.4 .431 .641 .301 1.17
2006-2007 33.2 14.9 3.1 4.9 2.6 1.88 1.9 .1 2.1 .384 .651 .272 1.14
2007-2008 30.3 12.9 2.7 4.4 2.1 2.05 1.8 .2 2.2 .398 .664 .310 1.13

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2008, 09:07:35 PM »
Ran across this old JSOnline article (edit: Chicos already posted this article's link):

"With that blessing, Buycks started leaning toward Memphis, a high-profile program with an uptempo style. But while Buycks was deciding, the Tigers got a commitment from Derrick Rose of Chicago and cooled on the Bay View player. Something similar happened with Iowa State, making Bradley the official choice."

Even with not knowing where Buycks was on their recruiting depth list that season, that's GOT to give a scary notion about his abilities!
SS Marquette

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2008, 09:45:04 PM »
Can Buycks play defense?
Buycks, who could often score at will in high school and led his team in assists, is excited to bring a tough defensive attitude that he displayed at Bay View with him to Peoria, Ill., where he will play for the Braves.

"(Defense) is what gets me going," he said. "When I get stops, that helps my offense. I love to guard the best players so I can prove that I can play defense and I'm not all offense. That's going to help me a lot.

"In college, they teach defense. They know who they are going to bring in and what their role will be. If the college brings me in for offense, they'll like my defense. You need defense at the next level to be a complete player."

http://www.newberlinnow.com/story/index.aspx?id=582568

mviale

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2008, 09:47:24 PM »
watching the film of Dwight and it looks like he is playing the generals(defenders falling down on the court).  I understand how SC was Mr Basketball in Wisconsin.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Buzz goes JUCO again
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2008, 10:00:03 PM »
Buzz goes JUCO again

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (NY Warrior)

Dwight Buycks, one of the top junior college players in the nation, verbally committed to Marquette University earlier today.  A 6'3" combo guard out of  Indian Hills Community College in Iowa, Buycks selected MU over a host of schools including Iowa State, Texas A&M, Tennessee and Missouri.

Buycks will join the Marquette program as a junior in the fall of 2009.   The Milwaukee native played his high school ball at Bay View and originally committed to Bradley before academic issues led him to Indian Hills.  With well-publicized concerns about the questionable academic profile of recent MU commit Jeronne Maymon, is Buzz Williams taking on yet another academic risk just two months into his tenure as head coach?  'Not so' reports Mark Miller at Wishoops, who reveals that Buycks is taking care of business in the classroom at Indian Hills, landing a 3.6 GPA in his first year there.

Last season, Buycks  led Indian Hills in scoring at roughly 16 points per game while chipping in four boards and three assists.  Buycks  looks to be more of a scorer than a shooter -- he hit 46% of his shots from the field and a dreadful 26% from downtown.

With MU poised to graduate the Three Amigos after next season --- three 1,000 point scorers including the top two scorers in Marquette basketball history (perhaps) -- Buzz Williams is faced with making the most of a roster full of role players and high-ceiling freshmen heading into the 2009-2010 campaign.  With that in mind and a gaping hole looming in the backcourt, Coach Williams had at least three options:

a) go to battle with David Cubillan and Maurice Acker as his featured point guards --  a recipe for a second-division Big East finish;
b) entrust a true freshman point guard with the reigns of a Big East program; or,
c) overload the junior class by going JUCO and hope for the best.

Hello Dwight Buycks.

Buycks joins high school forwards Jeronne Maymon and Erik Williams in the class that will enter the Marquette program in 2009.  If the current slate of committed scholarships holds up, the 2009-2010 roster should look something like this:

Seniors:  Hayward, Acker, Cubillan
Juniors:  Buycks, Hazel, Fulce, Butler, Mbakwe
Sophomores: Otule
Freshmen:  Erik Williams, Jeronne Maymon

Buzz Williams has two more scholarships to offer for the 2009-2010 class.

Additional Media Reports

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2008/06/buzz-goes-juco-again.html

feedback