[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jeronne Maymon to visit MU next week  (Read 11695 times)

Wareagle

• Team Captain
Jeronne Maymon to visit MU next week
« on: May 15, 2008, 06:17:46 PM »
According to Mark Miller, Jeronne Maymon will be making an unofficial visit to Marquette early next week.  Jeronne's dad confirmed the story.
http://www.wissports.net/playground/tm.asp?m=897085

THEGYMBAR

Re: Jeronne Maymon to visit MU next week
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 08:00:58 AM »
Buzz...roll out the red carpet. Get this one early and the other two will be easier. This is the time for Buzz to close the deal and bring some excitement to the recruiting season. If TC can get Creek without a visit I am counting on Buzz to get Maymon on an unoficial visit.

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 08:06:54 AM »
Buzz...roll out the red carpet. Get this one early and the other two will be easier. This is the time for Buzz to close the deal and bring some excitement to the recruiting season. If TC can get Creek without a visit I am counting on Buzz to get Maymon on an unoficial visit.
AMEN. We signed Buzz because he was someone who would give us consistancy and recruit well. It is never too early to earn his stripes. I've stressed the importance of getting instate recruits and how it has effect down the road. Get him Buzz! I'll be there with a huge sign if i have to be. Does anyone know the date he is coming?

Created by the Jamil_toMU09

jce

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 09:32:50 AM »
AMEN. We signed Buzz because he was someone who would give us consistancy and recruit well. It is never too early to earn his stripes. I've stressed the importance of getting instate recruits and how it has effect down the road. Get him Buzz! I'll be there with a huge sign if i have to be. Does anyone know the date he is coming?

"Early next week" isn't specific enough?  I hope he can cut it.  The other schools that have offered aren't exactly powers.  (De Paul, Baylor, IA State)  Plus the academics worry me.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 09:36:53 AM »
"USC, Tennessee and Baylor are showing the most interest in Maymon and have offered scholarships while Kansas, Kansas State and Kentucky remain heavily involved."

jce, would you consider Tennessee and Kansas powers?  How about USC, Kentucky and Kansas State?  I realize they all haven't offered, but Tennessee and USC have.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 09:59:05 AM »

Honestly, I don't see Maymon as that important of a get, and perhaps not that big of a priority. By all accounts, he plays the same position -- or at least his best position -- as Erik Williams, who is considered by most to be a better prospect.

With four or five scholies to give, recruiting two similar players wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but Buzz should, and probably does, have bigger priorities (i.e. a point, a pure shooter, a big man) in his next recruiting class than landing another wing.

Plus, one must consider whether Maymon who, at least according to his pops expects to play immediately, wants to come in to a situation where he may have to compete for time against Williams and Jimmy Butler.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 10:00:58 AM by Pakuni »

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 10:10:29 AM »
Sign him and sign him quickly. His stock has risen a great deal over the past few months. Impact recruit and the foundation for a great instate recruiting class. MU's two best teams for the past 20 years had instate foundation. Lets do it again and then get studs from around the country to compliment the foundation.

Bleedbluegold---Need help with the sign count me in!!!!

jce

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 11:08:48 AM »
"USC, Tennessee and Baylor are showing the most interest in Maymon and have offered scholarships while Kansas, Kansas State and Kentucky remain heavily involved."

jce, would you consider Tennessee and Kansas powers?  How about USC, Kentucky and Kansas State?  I realize they all haven't offered, but Tennessee and USC have.

I know that's what the linked article from Wishoops says, but I don't think USC and Tennessee has offered.  That is the first I have seen that.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 11:26:40 AM »
Honestly, I don't see Maymon as that important of a get, and perhaps not that big of a priority. By all accounts, he plays the same position -- or at least his best position -- as Erik Williams, who is considered by most to be a better prospect.

They really don't play the same position.  Maymon is an inside player with not much range beyond 10-12 feet or so.  Williams is a wing player with slashing ability and outside range.  One is a 4/3 the other is 3/2.   If MU weren't going to play the 4 out 1 in motion offense, then they could very easily co-exist on the court at the same time. 

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 12:10:51 PM »
HELP US LORD

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 02:14:59 PM »
Is he on campus today? (tuesday the 20th of May)

MU06CU10

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 04:08:12 PM »
That's what was reported by others on the scout board. Hopefully he's enjoying himself today and hopefully Buzz is making damn sure that Jeronne is working hard in school and will be eligible to play in 09. If Buzz is comfortable and Jeronne likes the school and the idea of being a Golden Eagle, I say take him and don't worry if that will hurt us with Wilson.

jce

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 05:25:54 PM »
That's what was reported by others on the scout board. Hopefully he's enjoying himself today and hopefully Buzz is making damn sure that Jeronne is working hard in school and will be eligible to play in 09. If Buzz is comfortable and Jeronne likes the school and the idea of being a Golden Eagle, I say take him and don't worry if that will hurt us with Wilson.

Oh of course.  A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

nola03

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 05:35:42 PM »
Oh of course.  A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

But what happens if the bird in the hand is never really in your hand?

By all accounts, it would be a minor miracle for Maymon to qualify directly from Madison Memorial. It's one thing to keep in touch but we shouldn't rely on him being suited up in November 09 -- even if he verbally commits.

jce

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 05:39:02 PM »
But what happens if the bird in the hand is never really in your hand?

By all accounts, it would be a minor miracle for Maymon to qualify directly from Madison Memorial. It's one thing to keep in touch but we shouldn't rely on him being suited up in November 09 -- even if he verbally commits.

I've heard that he has had occasional troubles...not that it would be a "minor miracle" for him to qualify.  Lacy is the one that is likely prep school bound.  I haven't heard something that severe about Maymon.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 05:59:07 PM »

I've heard that he has had occasional troubles...not that it would be a "minor miracle" for him to qualify.  Lacy is the one that is likely prep school bound.  I haven't heard something that severe about Maymon.

he studies right now make him someone who doesn't look like he will qualify.
But I like to throw handfuls...

bma725

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 06:06:28 PM »
His academic situation can't be helped by the fact that instead of focusing on getting the grades he needs this semester, he's taking multiple unofficial visits and going to play in AAU tournaments. 

There's a very good chance neither Lacy nor Maymon qualify.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 08:21:55 PM »
My advice to Buzz, fwiw, is to move on and recruit others where the academics are not an issue. Why waste the time and money on probable academic casualties? Maybe Jeter can use these two.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mviale

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 09:54:28 PM »
agreed 4ever - so many horses available
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 10:49:21 PM »
My advice to Buzz, fwiw, is to move on and recruit others where the academics are not an issue. Why waste the time and money on probable academic casualties? Maybe Jeter can use these two.

If the coaching staff has every reason to believe he'll qualify, roll out the red carpet for this kid and recruit him hard. His game has absolutely taken off lately.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 06:58:08 AM »
As someone stated earlier that if we offered scholarship there must be confidence that he will qualify. IMO I think his signing it will make Wilson signing earlier. Similar situation to KO's first year when he got three top WI recruits.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 07:13:53 AM »
How many 6'7" Forwards do we need?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 07:36:24 AM »
As someone stated earlier that if we offered scholarship there must be confidence that he will qualify.

I wouldn't assume that at all.  Sometimes you have to offer just to stay in the kid's good graces even if you know he isn't going to qualify so that you can still be there when he does qualify a year later.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 07:55:33 AM »
bma---With all the players in the mix do you really think that is why scholarship was offered? His stock is rising everyday and I hope that MU knows something about his academics that we do not. It seems like a waste of time or offer to stay in good graces. I can see recruiting him but if no chance to qualify I would have held up on the offer.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 08:32:26 AM »
bma---With all the players in the mix do you really think that is why scholarship was offered? His stock is rising everyday and I hope that MU knows something about his academics that we do not. It seems like a waste of time or offer to stay in good graces. I can see recruiting him but if no chance to qualify I would have held up on the offer.

I'm saying that's part of the reason the offer was extended.  Crean was waiting to offer because he wanted to see how the academics played out at the end of this semester.  Well the semester isn't even over yet, he still has a few weeks before finals, so there is no real update on his grades yet...but Buzz has extended an offer.  People very close
to the situation have said he still has a lot of work to do to qualify.  But you have to offer now just in case he does, because you don't want to make a kid think you didn't believe in him when there were questions about him.

This is nothing new, it happens all the time at all sorts of schools.  There's no such thing as a wasted offer, you can always pull them back if the kid doesn't make it. 

This is nothing new, schools do it all the time.