collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Eli Holman spin begins  (Read 5796 times)

Wareagle

• Team Captain
The Eli Holman spin begins
« on: May 08, 2008, 05:05:29 PM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/wire/chi-ap-bkc-indiana-crean,0,2006693.story
INDIANAPOLIS - Tom Crean is getting ready for a restart at Indiana.

After a bumpy first month as the Hoosiers coach, Crean spent Thursday riding around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway oval with three-time winner Johnny Rutherford, hoping the changes at Indiana will go as smoothly and quickly as the laps.

Crean acknowledged the program's image had been damaged by recent allegations of recruiting violations, academic troubles and player dismissals before looking ahead.

"It's important to move on," he said. "That's what we try to do as coaches, get through these situations with the hearing, the APR (academic progress report) and those kinds of things."

With so many lingering reminders, switching gears won't be easy for the Hoosiers.

On a day rain washed out Crean's chance to be the honorary starter for Indy 500 practice, the Hoosiers were expected to file their official response to the NCAA's accusations. School officials did not plan to make the report immediately available to the public, and Crean provided no details about what was in the report. He said he had not been consulted.

Next month the school has a hearing in front of the infractions committee in Seattle. Former coach Kelvin Sampson, who accepted a $750,000 buyout in February after the NCAA accused him of five major rules infractions, and Crean are both expected to attend, although Crean is uncertain whether he will be asked to testify.

"I don't know yet what they'll have me do, but I knew from the beginning that I would be at the hearing," he said. "Whatever they ask me to do, I'll do. But I think there's been enough damage to Indiana and it's time to move forward."

Not so fast.

In July or August, the NCAA is expected to rule on Indiana's case and could hand down sanctions that go beyond the recruiting restrictions and loss of a scholarship imposed by school officials.

Crean will start next fall with only three returning scholarship players after kicking three players off the team last week. He said he can't wait to begin workouts that will be more than just 3-on-3 drills.

But the oddest twist in this saga occurred last week, when freshman forward Eli Holman told Crean he planned to transfer and became so agitated in the coaches' office that campus police were called.

Holman announced Wednesday he would attend Detroit Mercy, where he will be reunited with Ray McCallum, a former assistant at Indiana under Sampson.

Crean now believes the whole thing was planned.

"I have never had anything like that happen before, and it was disappointing on a lot of fronts," Crean said. "I would say what caused it was him not getting an answer he would have liked. As I see now, it was all part of an orchestration. I respect Eli, and I hope he does well. But it's all starting to play out."

The toughest part for Crean may be improving the team's APR score.

Indiana avoided being penalized Tuesday when it turned in a score of 899, well below the NCAA's mandated cut line of 925, because it made "significant" improvement from the previous year. With so many players leaving the program from last season, it's unlikely Indiana will make the 925 mark next year.

But Crean praised the school's academic counselors and Dan Dakich, who replaced Sampson as interim coach, for stressing classwork over the final two months of the school year.

"I think Dan Dakich did an excellent job trying to hold the reins down," Crean said. "He did a great job of trying to hold the fort down, there were just too many deaf ears at that point."

Apparently, academics also were a factor in Crean's decision not to reinstate starting guards Armon Bassett and Jamarcus Ellis, who were kicked off the team by Dakich just hours before Crean was hired April 1.

"Some of it was pretty clear at that point, with the academics, but the decisions were made at different points in the week with the exception of the Holman situation," Crean said. "Hopefully they will all get their education, get their degrees, get to play basketball somewhere and become productive members of society."

But the toughest task comes now as Crean attempts to rebuild the program.

He expects to see former Indian coach Bob Knight at a charity event Friday, is working on a plan to help improve the team's academic performance and will be busy recruiting more players to Bloomington.

And he hopes to put some of the lessons he learned in the garage area, while visiting Penske Racing and Panther Racing, to use at Indiana, too.

"What separates drivers is that they've got to have focus and execute under pressure," Crean said. "The more you're around different sports, the more you realize it's not that different. The thing that separates the great ones are the same things -- discipline and focus."

Two qualities Crean believes will turn around the Hoosiers program.

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
Re: The Eli Holman spin begins
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 05:12:21 PM »
Why is this deemed to be "spin"?

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 05:18:37 PM »
Why is this deemed to be "spin"?
"I would say what caused it was him not getting an answer he would have liked. As I see now, it was all part of an orchestration."

The above is spin.  Crean has absolutely no way of knowing what really caused Holman's actions.  He first gives his opinion.  He then converts his opinion into a factual assertion which he can't backup by saying the entire event was an "orchestration."  That is spin.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 05:42:43 PM »
"Not so fast," Crean.

Loved that one.

Judas wants to just put everything behind him and move forward, which is all fine and dandy but you have to make sure there's closure on the issues and it's done cleanly. The latest Holman issue - though Eli is a piece of work himself - can really hurt his image early.

But what intrigued me was this:
"I think Dan Dakich did an excellent job trying to hold the reins down," Crean said. "He did a great job of trying to hold the fort down, there were just too many deaf ears at that point."

I know Crean belongs to the Mariucci philosophy of "Coaching is a fraternity" so he didn't call out his good 'ol buddy Sampson for f'in up but praised Dakich instead. What intrigues me the most is that he said there were "many deaf ears" at that point. I'm sure he's talking about the players, but I'm sure there are still many of those deaf ears still there (i.e., AD, staff, university officials).

Hey, you're getting what you asked for Crean: opportunites but problems.
SS Marquette

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 08:47:05 PM »
"I would say what caused it was him not getting an answer he would have liked. As I see now, it was all part of an orchestration."

The above is spin.  Crean has absolutely no way of knowing what really caused Holman's actions.  He first gives his opinion.  He then converts his opinion into a factual assertion which he can't backup by saying the entire event was an "orchestration."  That is spin.

So you really believe Crean is unable to say what caused Holman's action/reaction?  I often have to give client's news or info that they would rather not hear b/c it does not lead to the outcome they seek.  I can easily tell by their facial expressions, body language, etc. that they are not happy with certain facts.  In such circumstances I can tell what caused them to react, and it is generally them "not getting an answer [they] would have liked."  Crean and nearly everybody who is paying attention in a conversation can do the same thing.  That is a fact.  The belief on reflecting on the incident that it was an orchestration is an opinion, which is what Crean states.

If there is any spin here it is you trying to infuse yourself into exchange you do not know the first thing about and then trying to characterize an outcome based on bias or a simple desire to bash Crean at every turn.

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 08:50:52 PM »
The latest Holman issue - though Eli is a piece of work himself - can really hurt his image early.

This move only further endeared Crean to Indiana fans.  Holman was not the type of player that IU fans want to see wear the cream and crimson.  He had several issues before arriving in Bloomington, that coupled with his being a Sampson recruit, I have not heard a single IU fan bemoan his departure.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 09:25:06 PM »
So you really believe Crean is unable to say what caused Holman's action/reaction?  I often have to give client's news or info that they would rather not hear b/c it does not lead to the outcome they seek.  I can easily tell by their facial expressions, body language, etc. that they are not happy with certain facts.  In such circumstances I can tell what caused them to react, and it is generally them "not getting an answer [they] would have liked."  Crean and nearly everybody who is paying attention in a conversation can do the same thing.  That is a fact.  The belief on reflecting on the incident that it was an orchestration is an opinion, which is what Crean states.

If there is any spin here it is you trying to infuse yourself into exchange you do not know the first thing about and then trying to characterize an outcome based on bias or a simple desire to bash Crean at every turn.

RIIIIIIIIIGHT.  Eli Holman "orchestrated" his way out of IU.  A 19 year-old kid with no reason to concoct an exaggerated narrative devises a master plan to stage a dramatic exit.  All he has to say when he walks into that room is that he is leaving.  But instead, he "orchestrates."  Get real.

Here's what Holman had to say in an article when asked about the incident:
 "What happened between me and Tom Crean was a big misunderstanding," Holman said. "I want to wish Indiana, the players and the coaching staff the best of luck."
http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_9191769?source=rss

I wonder why that quote didn't get in the Chicago Tribune.  Eli Holman showing remorse and acting like a normal person who had a bad day doesn't fit the narrative of Tom Crean purging all the ne'er do wells.  He is portraying himself like IU's white knight.  Take off your blinders. 

Tom Crean was great for MU while he was here, I have no problem saying that.  I don't find fault with him recruiting players like Maurice Creek and Nick Williams.  What I do have a problem with is using an all-to-willing media to discredit kids who were, until recently, part of his "family."  Coaches with a better functioning moral compass would have wished him well and left it at that no matter if the kid is a headcase or not.  Leave the allegations of orchestrations to bloggers.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 09:51:51 PM by Wareagle »