[April 15, 2024, 10:20:46 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Tribune Article (May 1) About The Process Involved In Hiring Buzz  (Read 28130 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: MU Tribune Article (May 1) About The Process Involved In Hiring Buzz
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2008, 10:26:41 AM »

MU has been successful for two reasons.  First, their enrollment is up because they have done a much better job marketing themselves to their target student markets.  Second, they have raised a ton of money.  Part of that is because the wealthiest 10% of Americans have gotten even more weathier over the past decade and those people are giving back.  MU is participating in this.  There is a reason they have dozens of people out raising money for them.

To claim that they are just riding a wave instead of actively shaping their future is a little myopic.

+1 for sure.

Basketball is certainly MU's best marketing tool, and MU has capitalized on it.

However, the past 15 years at MU have been a good growth period compared to the previous 15. New facilities, larger applications, improved campus, better athletics, etc.

It's not by accident that these things happen. I'm not saying MU is a bunch of masterminds, but they have been accomplishing a lot... so pointing out basketball or the economy as the reason isn't really accurate.

While the economy certainly comes into play with private education, I'm not sure it's as easy as people are getting rich = MU's donations are up.

People can donate their money wherever they want...

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2008, 10:35:53 AM »
2002mualum---I agree with your comments. I am not trying to say MU has done anything wrong because they have not. My only point is that MU does deserve credit but might have to change with the times. It appears to me the hiring of the AD or Buzz is not changing with the times.

Over the past 15 years I do believe there families that have paid private school tuition because of the economy. If the economy sours further it might change some parents minds on college choices. I have seen with friends that they are more concerned about college costs more than ever.

MU always has been great in fundraising. Raynor was master and it appears Wilde knows his schtick. The top 10% always will give and pay alot of the bills but the bottom 90% are needed as well. If MU balls is not successful it affects the whole school. People love supporting a winner.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
My only point is that MU does deserve credit but might have to change with the times. It appears to me the hiring of the AD or Buzz is not changing with the times.

I think we agree on everything except for this point... I know it all "sounds" bad at this point... but I'm withholding judgment until I actually see what happens.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2008, 01:37:48 PM »
As someone who has looked for jobs online, after a while you get a feeling about employers. Like...whether I'm wasting my time even bothering to go to the trouble of applying or not.

Reading this, it sends chills down my spine about all the talented people that will not give MU the time of day. I mean, why the hell should they? There's no reason too. They had sixty. 6. 0. 60 applicants. Not one person interviewed. That's so over the top pathetic I can't even comprehend it.

And if there was ever proof why people like me were extremely concernced w/Cottingham's hiring, well...we got it. In spades.

Joke.

Obviously, hoping it works out with Buzz, but sooner or later this stuff catches up to you. Why am I donating money to these idiots again via season tix? Ugh. At least they haven't seen a dime of other money from me yet.

Probably the best post I've seen on these boards regarding the Cottingham/Buzz hires.

And the sad thing is, as that article demonstrates, is that this is a University-wide phenomena. Going to inside hires over and over and over again tells the rest of the academic / collegiate sports world that Marquette simply is an unstable environment with people terrified of outsiders who won't buy into the system or patronize the management. I don't know how anyone involved in NCAA sports from the outside world could look at the Cottingham hire news stories with the revelation that not one of 60 applicants was hired and not say "I don't see this as a place worth ever applying to, they don't want fresh ideas and they don't want to conduct business in a professional manner."

HarveysWallbangers

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2008, 01:45:57 PM »
With an inability to listen to reasonable solutions from someplace other than Marquette Hall, it's no wonder Marquette has royally screwed up other rather high profile decisions. And have paid for it.

Pardner

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2008, 06:03:34 PM »
"In Rick Greenspan, Indiana University has found a consummate professional -- a successful, experienced athletics administrator of unquestioned integrity who embraces the values of this great institution," Herbert said.

"The success of our student-athletes, as measured by their performance on the field and in the classroom, is of paramount importance," Herbert said. "Rick not only understands that principle -- he has perfected it."

http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/1627.html

For every hire, there is a failure.  The Jesuits like to go with what they know.  They also believe in loyalty, not turmoil.  I personally wouldn't approach a hire this way in business--or at least confine a search, but it is their plan for all hires.  Forbes did a study of successful CEO's a while back...they found the most successful were ones no one heard of, that have been consistent performers and have been in their jobs at least 9 years--and were lower paid than the high profile flame outs.

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2008, 07:50:49 PM »
 Article interesting in many way.

The last sentence of the article , that Greg Kliebhan who hired both the AD and Buzz refused a request from the reporter of HIS OWN student news paper, really says it all.  Can you imagine that! I guess he is afraid of difficult questions from the student. Is arrogance toooo strong a word?

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2008, 08:58:51 PM »

The last sentence of the article , that Greg Kliebhan who hired both the AD and Buzz refused a request from the reporter of HIS OWN student news paper, really says it all.  Can you imagine that! I guess he is afraid of difficult questions from the student. Is arrogance toooo strong a word?

I think it's important to realize that Kliebhan is the Darth Vader of the administrative team.  As the enforcer who does the dirty work, his refusal to be interviewed simply reflects his carefully cultivated persona of the "bad cop."  He's scary, man.

wildbill sb

"Renewable energy IS homeland security"
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2008, 11:34:08 PM »

Maybe he just didn't see the value of being subjected to a series of "when did you stop beating your wife" type questions.

Kliebahn would have said something to the effect of "I looked at every one of those 60 resumes, and not one comes close to matching the qualifications of Steve Cottingham.  Scheduling an interview with any of them would have been a waste of their time and ours."

As if THAT would have settled the issue!  Even though it is as close to the truth as anything you're going to get. 

What we have is that you (and a bunch of others here) feel you have more experience in running a major university than Greg Kleihban. 

No, I don't think arrogance is "toooo[sic] strong a word."  I just think it's better applied to you.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2008, 12:21:29 AM »
Maybe he just didn't see the value of being subjected to a series of "when did you stop beating your wife" type questions.

Kliebahn would have said something to the effect of "I looked at every one of those 60 resumes, and not one comes close to matching the qualifications of Steve Cottingham.  Scheduling an interview with any of them would have been a waste of their time and ours."

As if THAT would have settled the issue!  Even though it is as close to the truth as anything you're going to get. 

What we have is that you (and a bunch of others here) feel you have more experience in running a major university than Greg Kleihban. 

No, I don't think arrogance is "toooo[sic] strong a word."  I just think it's better applied to you.

I don't think that's the case...but there are many people here that do run successful companies or departments / divisions (many that earn a ton more revenue then MU does or deals with more "customers" then MU does) that can have reasoned opinions, whether they are right or wrong they are still reasoned. 

If that were his statement, which we all realize it isn't, it would be monumentally arrogant on so many levels. 

Greg is a MU guy and has been at the university for 30+ years.  He's part of the culture which can be a good thing and a bad thing.  He thinks like the jebbies and helps to promote some of that same line of thinking throughout the university.  This can be very beneficial, very steady, everyone knows what direction the ship is going.  It can also backfire. 

Greg has known Steve for two decades and he obviously thinks he's the right guy.  He also knows that he wanted to bring in a guy that he had 100% control over, which he has with Steve.  Don't underestimate that part of it.

Let's not forget it was Wild and Kliebhan who promoted Wake to Provost via an internal promotion only to have to fire her 5 years later (some would say 3 years to late).  She was another lifer at the university that they knew, having been there for 25 years.  Comfort with a candidate is a great thing, but it can also mean putting trust into someone that isn't up to the task.

Let's hope Wild and Kliebhan got it right with Buzz and not a repeat performance with the provost hiring of Wake.