[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU Tribune Article (May 1) About The Process Involved In Hiring Buzz  (Read 28026 times)

Marquette84

• All American
Re: MU Tribune Article (May 1) About The Process Involved In Hiring Buzz
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 12:04:15 AM »
Come on, not one of the 60 was more qualified? Cottingham is a lawyer by trade with very limited experience in athletics administration and you'd like to believe that not one of the 60 applicants didn't have better qualifications then the present AD.

Either your head is in the sand or MU writes your paycheck.

The simple question is whether you believe the influence of law on sports is going to increase or decrease over the next several years.

I don't think the influence of law will decline at all.  I see it playing an even larger role--look at what we've seen in the last few years, with Academic Progress reports, FERPA, HIPPA, etc.  Then look at the size of the contracts--even mid-level schools are seeing 7-figure coaching salaries and 10 figure packages.  Then look at the complex public/private partnerships that are running the arenas these days.  

If the 60 candidates were all of the "I was the assistant AD running the ticket office at State U"  ilk, I can easily see why MU might pass on them.

It doesn't seem a stretch to me to think that a school that runs the nation's premier sports law programs just might have greater appreciation for legal aspects of the job as compared to experience in athletics administration.

When I see the risks that college programs face, having a legal background is becoming more important:
--NCAA Compliance issues
--Sports marketing agreements with external firms
--Negotiation of leases with increasingly complex ownership and control of public sports venues
--Negotiation of television contracts
--Negotiation of membership agreements with the Big East Conference
--Title IX considerations
--Student-Athlete privacy considerations

Finally, let me suggest that if Indiana hired a lawyer rather than an experienced AD in 2004, they might have properly assessed the risks of hiring Kelvin Sampson, which would have spared us the angst of the past month.

I don't think I'm off base in suggesting that the athletics department is filled with a whole lot of people with athletic administration background, and not many with strong legal backgrounds.  

So I don't knee-jerk buy into the notion that simply because 60 people applied means that they're better than the guy who's been performing the job for the past 14 months--especially if one belives that legal aspects o are going to play an increasing role in the job.

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 12:05:56 AM »
Random thesaurus entries to accompany the above article:  lazy, uninspired, jayvee, irresponsible, embarrassing, second-rate, cheap, commonplace, namby-pamby, mom-and-pop operation, slack, remiss, lackadaisical, lethargic, narrow-minded, sorry.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 12:50:36 AM »
The irony of it is that IU used to have a lawyer as their AD when I was there.  Clarence Doninger.   He also happened to be Bobby Knight's personal lawyer.

Most IU fans, in my opinion, would not say that was a very good idea either.

By the way, usually the folks that apply for an AD job are Associate AD's, Deputy AD's, or Associate Commissioner's from league offices.  These are people that have often overseen millions of dollars in budgets as well as significant portions of the athletic part of the job.  For example, many larger schools will put an Associate AD in charge of Men's Basketball, volleyball, baseball and track as an example.  That person essentially runs those sports, including making the recommendation to hire and fire (ultimately done by the AD, but it all starts at the lower end).  Not all schools do this, but many do as day to day sports lieutenants for the Athletic Director.

jce

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 07:02:30 AM »
The irony of it is that IU used to have a lawyer as their AD when I was there.  Clarence Doninger.   He also happened to be Bobby Knight's personal lawyer.

By the way, usually the folks that apply for an AD job are Associate AD's, Deputy AD's, or Associate Commissioner's from league offices.  These are people that have often overseen millions of dollars in budgets as well as significant portions of the athletic part of the job.  For example, many larger schools will put an Associate AD in charge of Men's Basketball, volleyball, baseball and track as an example.  That person essentially runs those sports, including making the recommendation to hire and fire (ultimately done by the AD, but it all starts at the lower end).  Not all schools do this, but many do as day to day sports lieutenants for the Athletic Director.

But you are finding more and more lawyers in those Associate AD type positions too.  One of UW's Associates is Shawn Eichorst, a MU Law alum and former part-time professor in the Law School, and he oversees many of the things that MU'84 pointed out above.

As I said earlier, nothing wrong with internal candidates, I just wish they would have done more interviewing.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008, 07:45:43 AM »
Westwarrior---Your quote from Rick is right on. I believe MU wants to win as much as UNC does. My fear is that they have no idea how to do it. I said in earlier post that UW got it right with Richter when they hired him.

MU is spoiled because they great attendance, even with a crap schedule. College ball has changed 500% over the past two decades. Winning is easier in some ways a ton more difficult in other ways.

The way MU hired an AD/coach completely confirms what Majerus said. In my heart I believe that my desire to win and win big is greater than the school's. Granted they want it, but by all appearances it looks like they have their fingers crossed on winning.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2008, 08:23:54 AM »

I sense you had no argument with the list of criticial issues facing the AD at MU.  I also trust that you can see the strong legal component in each one of them. 

The role of the AD is changing because of the growing impact of law.  As you point out, an associate AD is capable of running the day-to-day operational aspects of a given sport.  Knowing how to be successful (as Majeurs says) means prioritizing the critical issues and hiring based on those needs.   It sure seems like those 60 candidates are predominantly associate and assistant ADs from the programs who want to win, but don't know how. 

I don't understand such strenuous objection to a guy who's actually done the job at MU for the past 14 months, and been involved with the athletic department since 2003, and been with the MU administration for 12 years.  And that there seems to be strong support for someone unknown who's prior experience was running the basketball, volleyball and track programs at a mid-major.

In my mind, the easy way out would have been to simply take one of those assitant ADs--a rah-rah guy who can talk up MU basketball just like he talked up women's curling at Mid-Major U.  But I see that candidate as being WAY over his or her head when negotiating with the Bradley Center, determining the terms of renewal for the contract with Nelligan, representing MU when the Big East contract comes up for renewal, or understanding the Byzantine rules of NCAA recruting, eligiblity and academic acheivement.

HarveysWallbangers

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2008, 08:40:19 AM »
Marquette84 -- Do you work for Marquette? Some of the positions you take strongly indicate that you do -- or are at least involved in some way.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2008, 09:01:29 AM »

None interviewed....NONE.  Amazing

Certainly doesn't make me think that they handled the Buzz hiring any better.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

nola03

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2008, 09:59:08 AM »
Marquette84 -- Do you work for Marquette? Some of the positions you take strongly indicate that you do -- or are at least involved in some way.

There's a definite connection. Been like that for years.

I understand your love for MU, 84, but imo you're being extremely naive to think that a man who worked the job for 14 months whilst he didn't even want the job gave an appropriate sample size to warrant the position full-time. Especially when you add in that no one -- not even another internal candidate? -- was interviewed.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 10:19:07 AM by nola03 »

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2008, 12:43:45 PM »
There's a definite connection. Been like that for years.

I understand your love for MU, 84, but imo you're being extremely naive to think that a man who worked the job for 14 months whilst he didn't even want the job gave an appropriate sample size to warrant the position full-time. Especially when you add in that no one -- not even another internal candidate? -- was interviewed.

If I did work for MU, would it make my point any less valid? 

In reality, I have no connection other than a loyal alum since 1984.  Emphasis on loyal.  I can't bring myself to always rip every decision MU makes or assume the worst.  Seeing the progress--on campus, in academics, and in the athletic program---that has taken place over the last decade has been amazing.  I think the overall track record suggests that those in charge have earned the benefit of the doubt on their decision making.  Have there been some mistakes?  Sure, but the overall direction tells me that in the absence of solid evidence to the contrary, decisons are well thought out, with the future in mind.

In this specific situation, as an observer of college athletics in general and MU in particular, I see a greater emphasis on the legal aspects of the job, which just might mean that a lawyer with years of experience with MU in general and the athletic department specificially just might be the best qualified guy.

Instead of offering any evidence that other aspects of the job such as  "athletic administration" are equally or more important, people simply try to dismiss my point by suggesting I work for MU!

This is really simply--whether or not I work for MU, if you believe that the legal aspects of the AD role are of tremendous importance and will increase in years to come, then it is certainly reasonable that Cottingam may well be the best qualified of the other 60 applicants. 

If you believe that the job requires a guy who started his career running an intramural program, and has moved up through the ranks holding every other job in an AD office, then Cottingham probably isn't the best qualified.

At least I have told you up front that I think the legal aspects are more important.

I sense that most people here have never hired anyone--because the attitde I sense is that MU should post the job, see who applies, then adjust what is important to them based on who applies.

In this case, I simply posed that the legal expertise that Cottingham brings to the table might make him the best quailfied candidate IF you believe the legal aspects are most imporant.  I support my view with a list of the largest challenges facing MU, almost all of which are based on a legal agreement.

The criticism of me seems to be based not on arguing that the legal aspects are relatively unimportant, but simply that Cottingham lacks atheltic administration experience therefore MU didn't carefully evaluate the 60 other candidates. 

My question back to you: Don't you find it somewhat reasonable to think that Cottingham has more legal experience at a high-major level than any of the other 60 candidates?   

Before you ask, I'll readily admit that he has less athletic administration expereience. 

But I won't concede that athletic administration is more important than legal in today's enviornment.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2008, 01:00:52 PM »
If I did work for MU, My question back to you: Don't you find it somewhat reasonable to think that Cottingham has more legal experience at a high-major level than any of the other 60 candidates?   

He may well have been.

However, I would want someone with a vision and leadership (as well as administrative) experience to lead MU now that we are in a BCS conference.  Whether you agree with it or not, sports at a University in a major conference is a business.  There are many disciplines involved: marketing, finance, management, legal, etc.  I would think the most qualified candidate would bring together all of those disciplines, plus have experience managing a number of people or departments (i.e., have leadership experience).  Quite frankly, in most businesses the legal department is a staff function that supports management.  It is important but rarely the place where the value is added in a business.  In hiring, I always prefer hiring a line manager who understands the business and comes from an area where the most value is added. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2008, 02:06:59 PM »

But you are finding more and more lawyers in those Associate AD type positions too.  One of UW's Associates is Shawn Eichorst, a MU Law alum and former part-time professor in the Law School, and he oversees many of the things that MU'84 pointed out above.

As I said earlier, nothing wrong with internal candidates, I just wish they would have done more interviewing.

Correct, more and more AD's have a business or law background, nothing wrong with that.  It's smart.  But they often still come up through the ranks in athletics as well.  Eichorst is an example, he has a law degree but has also spent years working his way up.  He was an Associate AD at South Carolina for example, now at UW-Madison.  He was the AD at UW-Whitewater, he was a former student athlete.  He also has a degree in Sports Administration.  He'll be an AD some day.

Would it surprise anyone if he was one of the applicants to be AD at MU?   

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2008, 02:10:01 PM »
I sense you had no argument with the list of criticial issues facing the AD at MU.  I also trust that you can see the strong legal component in each one of them. 

The role of the AD is changing because of the growing impact of law.  As you point out, an associate AD is capable of running the day-to-day operational aspects of a given sport.  Knowing how to be successful (as Majeurs says) means prioritizing the critical issues and hiring based on those needs.   It sure seems like those 60 candidates are predominantly associate and assistant ADs from the programs who want to win, but don't know how. 

I don't understand such strenuous objection to a guy who's actually done the job at MU for the past 14 months, and been involved with the athletic department since 2003, and been with the MU administration for 12 years.  And that there seems to be strong support for someone unknown who's prior experience was running the basketball, volleyball and track programs at a mid-major.

In my mind, the easy way out would have been to simply take one of those assitant ADs--a rah-rah guy who can talk up MU basketball just like he talked up women's curling at Mid-Major U.  But I see that candidate as being WAY over his or her head when negotiating with the Bradley Center, determining the terms of renewal for the contract with Nelligan, representing MU when the Big East contract comes up for renewal, or understanding the Byzantine rules of NCAA recruting, eligiblity and academic acheivement.

Actually, I would have preferred someone that has a legal background and an athletics management background, there are plenty of those around.   If not, I'd have preferred someone with an athletics background who can use counsel to handle those legal issues.

Many of us do this daily in our work jobs.  I'm not a lawyer, yet we deal with multi-million dollar deals all the time with lawyers and clients.  That's what we pay our counsel to do, but I have enough of a background to get through most of the issues.  A smart AD would do the same and would not need to have every legal answer in his own head, there are plenty of other people at the university that are paid to do those things.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 02:12:26 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2008, 02:20:14 PM »
Honestly guys,

I think this is simply a glass 1/2 full, glass 1/2 empty scenario.

Marquette84 assumes that most of MU's moves are correct because the track record over the past 10-15 years has been pretty good (high enrollment, new campus facilities, big east, etc.)

Some others assume MU is messing things up because of some of the questionable decisions made over the years (poor hires, nickname, etc.)

Neither is really right or wrong at this point as it remains to be seen what is going to happen.

I'm inclined to agree with Marquette84 in most instances because I don't think MU has "lucked" itself into the position it is in now. There are SOME people over there that know what they are doing.

However, I also have to admit that this article, if accurate (which I assume it is), isn't the most encouraging thing I've read.

Hopefully Cottingham and Buzz because MU legends and this will be a fun thread(s) to read in 20 years.

wiscwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2008, 02:27:42 PM »
Pat Richter was not in athletic administration when he was chosen as UW's AD. In fact, he was not even in education. He worked for Oscar Mayer. He also has a law degree. His hiring turned out pretty well.

jce

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2008, 02:47:50 PM »
Correct, more and more AD's have a business or law background, nothing wrong with that.  It's smart.  But they often still come up through the ranks in athletics as well.  Eichorst is an example, he has a law degree but has also spent years working his way up.  He was an Associate AD at South Carolina for example, now at UW-Madison.  He was the AD at UW-Whitewater, he was a former student athlete.  He also has a degree in Sports Administration.  He'll be an AD some day.

Would it surprise anyone if he was one of the applicants to be AD at MU?   

No it wouldn't surprise me, but my guess is that Cottingham could have seemed a better choice having overseen the AD at MU, while Eichorst's experience is all at public universities with football programs.  Given that, it also wouldn't suprise me if he wasn't interested at all.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2008, 02:56:45 PM »
He concluded that because Wild told him he was.  Wild wanted Cottingham from the beginning and he is the reason no other candidates were interviewed.  Wild was just waiting him out until he finally decided to take the job.

Much of the problem is Jesuit hubris.  Jesuits are always the smartest guys in the room.  Part of the O'Hara Hall disease.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2008, 03:14:07 PM »
Pat Richter was not in athletic administration when he was chosen as UW's AD. In fact, he was not even in education. He worked for Oscar Mayer. He also has a law degree. His hiring turned out pretty well.

Pat Richter was a student athlete and involved in college athletics for a long time. He was an All-American and played in the NFL for a number of years....first round draft choice.  Stud athlete, Wisconsin hero, etc.  He had an athletics background, a strong one.  Involved in many UW-Madison projects in athletics as an alumnus, including various committees,etc. 

On top of that, UW-madison was one of the worst athletic departments in the country when he took over. He made the strong and sound business case to the state and local officials that they had to make some serious reforms which they did.

I think if we're comparing Cottingham to Richter we're doing a great disservice to Cottingham and a great injustice to Richter. 

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2008, 07:48:09 PM »
This thread has evoled from the atypical hiring practices of MU to the support by those who say an attorney is a prerequisite as an AD because of the college sports environment. The pro-lawyer (AKA Cottingham) supporters are really missing the point. This focus shouldn't support the AD hiring, whether good or bad. Focusing on a function of the position - legal interpretation - is short sighted.

The AD position is about leadership, motivational management, marketing  and fundraising skills.  Legal Counsel can be hired in-house or outsourced. Lawyers are negotiators, and generally risk-averse - in my business, we call them "deal killers," even when recognizing that they bring something to the party. I see Cottingham as in way over his head, but he must be a good corporate politician in the world of the Jesuits.

Nothing that I have seen from Cottingham has shown me leadership, motivational management, marketing  and fundraising skills. I hope that I am wrong for the sake of MU. From what I saw at the Buzz-hiring press conference, as well as at the Team Banquet, the new AD is less than an inspiring leader.

In fact, I feel we were fortunate to have Buzz Williams on staff, or Cottingham would have really had a sticky situation to muddle through.
Regardless of the new AD's handling of the hiring process, I am happy we have Buzz. I hope that the AD and staff provide all the support they can for Buzz, because he has a huge challenge in front of him.

I feel the department is now in the hands of a caretaker administrator versus a leader, and the BB hiring process reflects that. When TC was there, he drove the mens BB program like a chief marketing officer, and Bill Cords handled all the other critical leadership functions. We'll see what happens now.

nola03

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2008, 09:01:55 PM »
This thread has evoled from the atypical hiring practices of MU to the support by those who say an attorney is a prerequisite as an AD because of the college sports environment. The pro-lawyer (AKA Cottingham) supporters are really missing the point. This focus shouldn't support the AD hiring, whether good or bad. Focusing on a function of the position - legal interpretation - is short sighted.

The AD position is about leadership, motivational management, marketing  and fundraising skills.  Legal Counsel can be hired in-house or outsourced. Lawyers are negotiators, and generally risk-averse - in my business, we call them "deal killers," even when recognizing that they bring something to the party. I see Cottingham as in way over his head, but he must be a good corporate politician in the world of the Jesuits.

Nothing that I have seen from Cottingham has shown me leadership, motivational management, marketing  and fundraising skills. I hope that I am wrong for the sake of MU. From what I saw at the Buzz-hiring press conference, as well as at the Team Banquet, the new AD is less than an inspiring leader.

In fact, I feel we were fortunate to have Buzz Williams on staff, or Cottingham would have really had a sticky situation to muddle through.
Regardless of the new AD's handling of the hiring process, I am happy we have Buzz. I hope that the AD and staff provide all the support they can for Buzz, because he has a huge challenge in front of him.

I feel the department is now in the hands of a caretaker administrator versus a leader, and the BB hiring process reflects that. When TC was there, he drove the mens BB program like a chief marketing officer, and Bill Cords handled all the other critical leadership functions. We'll see what happens now.

Co-sign 100%

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2008, 09:22:50 PM »
As someone who has looked for jobs online, after a while you get a feeling about employers. Like...whether I'm wasting my time even bothering to go to the trouble of applying or not.

Reading this, it sends chills down my spine about all the talented people that will not give MU the time of day. I mean, why the hell should they? There's no reason too. They had sixty. 6. 0. 60 applicants. Not one person interviewed. That's so over the top pathetic I can't even comprehend it.

And if there was ever proof why people like me were extremely concernced w/Cottingham's hiring, well...we got it. In spades.

Joke.

Obviously, hoping it works out with Buzz, but sooner or later this stuff catches up to you. Why am I donating money to these idiots again via season tix? Ugh. At least they haven't seen a dime of other money from me yet.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2008, 09:16:12 AM »

The AD position is about leadership, motivational management, marketing  and fundraising skills.  Legal Counsel can be hired in-house or outsourced. Lawyers are negotiators, and generally risk-averse - in my business, we call them "deal killers," even when recognizing that they bring something to the party.

That's good....in our business we call them the "business prevention department"

Same thing.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
If you look at the Richter hire you have to go right to the top. Donna S. delivered the goods at UW. Like her or not she put an emphasis on athletics and paid off bigtime. She ran like a business, unlike current MU leadership.

Regarding the glass being 1/2 full...there are few universities that have not seen unbelievable success over the past 15 years. Baby oomers inherited tons, home equity loans and poor decision making by parents have made most schools look very smart. For many in the US no pricetag was going to scare them away. Our funny money economy the last 15 years helped colleges across the country. MU was not brilliant, just participated in an era of wild spending.

jce

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2008, 09:36:23 AM »
If you look at the Richter hire you have to go right to the top. Donna S. delivered the goods at UW. Like her or not she put an emphasis on athletics and paid off bigtime. She ran like a business, unlike current MU leadership.

Regarding the glass being 1/2 full...there are few universities that have not seen unbelievable success over the past 15 years. Baby oomers inherited tons, home equity loans and poor decision making by parents have made most schools look very smart. For many in the US no pricetag was going to scare them away. Our funny money economy the last 15 years helped colleges across the country. MU was not brilliant, just participated in an era of wild spending.

MU has been successful for two reasons.  First, their enrollment is up because they have done a much better job marketing themselves to their target student markets.  Second, they have raised a ton of money.  Part of that is because the wealthiest 10% of Americans have gotten even more weathier over the past decade and those people are giving back.  MU is participating in this.  There is a reason they have dozens of people out raising money for them.

To claim that they are just riding a wave instead of actively shaping their future is a little myopic.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2008, 09:47:43 AM »
JCE---My point was virtually every university has seen enrollments/applicants increase. In addition, the size of endowments across the country have grown by leaps and bounds. MU is not on the cutting edge of this, every private school is benefiting from the wealth factor. Not saying MU is not good in this area, but all schools are or at least their endowments indicate the are as well.

I am not ripping MU, but I do not think they did anything out of the norm. Plus, DWade was their bst marketing move and I do not think that Fr. Wild was the mastermind of that excitement. If anyone should get credit on the marketing Wade it is TC.

MU and plenty of other private schools are going to need to reinvent themselves moving forward. Cost of college is crazy. In my opinion, and I love MU, Marquette is not a school to get in debt to graduate from. I believe that the economy is going to hurt school's like MU. People threw money around the last 15 years and not just at MU. Keeping that flow might be getting togher. Thus, a good ball team is the best marketing tool nationally.

feedback