[Today at 07:41:36 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by Herman Cain
[Today at 06:55:14 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 05:53:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:52:17 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Did Buzz Really Want Anderson?  (Read 5585 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Did Buzz Really Want Anderson?
« on: May 04, 2008, 06:53:51 PM »
See the part in red.  Did Buzz REALLY want Anderson?

UW lands Anderson; Butch gets assist
By Jeff Potrykus
Sunday, May 4 2008, 01:29 PM

http://blogs.jsonline.com/badgers/archive/2008/05/04/uw-lands-anderson-butch-gets-assist.aspx

Madison - Credit University of Wisconsin senior Brian Butch with an assist on this recruiting coup.

When Eau Claire North High School sophomore center Evan Anderson needed to chat with someone whose opinion he respects before making his college choice, Anderson phoned Butch Saturday night.

"He just told me that if I thought I wanted to be at Wisconsin, which I do," Anderson said Sunday afternoon, "and I think it is the right decision just go ahead and do it instead of waiting.

"That is what I did."

Anderson hung up with Butch, phoned UW coach Bo Ryan, who was sitting down to dinner at a restaurant in Myrtle Beach, S.C., and provided a perfect appetizer:

The second and final oral commitment for UW's 2010 freshman class.

Recruiting rankings can be dubious barometers but the 6-foot-11, 244-pound Anderson is rated the No. 5 player nationally in his class by Rivals.com and No. 10 by Scout.com.

"There aren't many kids in America right now that can play him one-on-one in the post," Ritchie Davis, his AAU coach, said Sunday. "That has been one of the big turn-ons to the schools that had been pretty heavily involved with Evan until he committed to coach Ryan and Wisconsin."

Anderson chose UW over several marquee programs, including Kansas, Kentucky and Boston College.

"I was really starting to like Kansas," Anderson acknowledged. "I would have waited a long time if Wisconsin wouldn't have been available."

Marquette apparently fell out of the picture after coach Tom Crean bolted for Indiana and was replaced by Buzz Williams.

"Coach Williams is a busy guy," Davis said, "and they didn't have time to get involved so much. I don't know that they were as involved, recently anyway, as the other schools were."

Anderson's commitment fills out UW's 2010 class. Madison Memorial sophomore guard Vander Blue committed last week.

Anderson, who recently turned 16, weighed several factors before realizing UW would be his college home.

+ Coaching stability: Anderson paid close attention to the recent coaching carousel, which affects many programs annually, and felt confident UW's Bo Ryan will be finishing his coaching career in Madison.

"He doesn't doubt for one second that coach Ryan will be there from his first day to the last day," Davis explained. "That really means a lot to him."

+ Familiar faces: Anderson is close to departing UW players Greg Stiemsma and Butch, as well as returning players Keaton Nankovil and J.P. Gavinski. All those players played AAU ball for Davis.

Close to home: By choosing UW, Anderson understands his parents can drive down I-94 from the Eau Claire area to the Kohl Center in Madison.

"Just like a lot of kids," Davis said, "it's pretty nice for him to be able to know they can hop in their car and 3 ½ hours later they can be sitting down there for a Big Ten basketball game and watch their son play."

Anderson played one season at Stanley-Boyd High School before transferring to Eau Claire North. As a sophomore last season, Anderson helped North to the WIAA Division I state quarterfinals. He finished with 12 points six rebounds and four blocks in a first-round loss to Wauwatosa East, the eventual state champion.

According to Davis and Eau Claire North coach Patrick Hammond, Anderson plays more like traditional center who excels with his back to the basket. A natural left-hander, Anderson can score in close with either hand.

"He's got a nice soft touch," Davis said. "He can shoot the ball. And he passes the ball well. He can feed the ball inside from the high post better than some of our other guys."

According to Hammond, Anderson improved most notably this season on the defensive end.

"If he can progress as much as he did this past year," Hammond said, "he is going to be a great fit for Wisconsin.

"He improved his defensive ability tremendously. His outside shot is getting better. And if he can improve as much over the next couple years as he has this past year, he will make Wisconsin proud of him."

When asked to project what type of player he expects to become before his freshman year at UW, Anderson backed away from making any bold predictions.

"That's hard to tell," said Anderson, who believes Ryan's swing offense will allow him to expand his overall game. I'm going to work as hard as I can."

Wareagle

• Team Captain
Re: Did Buzz Really Want Anderson?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 07:05:22 PM »
I wouldn't blame Buzz, here's a quote from Mark Miller on the Scout Board
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=415#s=415&f=2850&t=2440415
"Marquette showed lots of interest early, but Tom Crean or members of his staff did not attend even one Eau Claire North game last season. All of the other seven finalists had representatives at games in Eau Claire at some point last winter."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 08:44:53 PM »
Did Buzz really want a top 15 player from the state of Wisconsin?

Uhm, yeah...he did.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 08:46:36 PM »
Is anyone stunned by the fact that a WI "towny" committed to the Badgers?  My God this kid is from some bumbel "f" town in Western WI.  He was pre-destined to go there.  His whole town would have shot him during deer season if he went any where else.  Did you see the reference?  Steimsa and Butch are his buddies.  Odds are he was born with a white turtle neck and red sweater!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 08:48:56 PM »
Is anyone stunned by the fact that a WI "towny" committed to the Badgers?  My God this kid is from some bumbel "f" town in Western WI.  He was pre-destined to go there.  His whole town would have shot him during deer season if he went any where else.  Did you see the reference?  Steimsa and Butch are his buddies.  Odds are he was born with a white turtle neck and red sweater!

Correct, he was going to be a longshot....but to suggest that Buzz might not have wanted him is silly.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 08:52:34 PM »
Did Buzz really want a top 15 player from the state of Wisconsin?

Uhm, yeah...he did.

Did not attend one game, did not call him, showed no interest. Ok, Buzz wouldn't say no if he wanted to come to MU, but they did not recruit him at all.  So, why are we surprised when he decided to go to Madison?

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 09:10:36 PM »
Did not attend one game, did not call him, showed no interest. Ok, Buzz wouldn't say no if he wanted to come to MU, but they did not recruit him at all.  So, why are we surprised when he decided to go to Madison?

I may be off base here, but from what I gather it seemed to be Crean's decision to not personally attend any ECN games or have any of his assistants do so last year.  Last year, I doubt Buzz had carte blanche to decide where he went on recruiting trips when he was working under Crean, and Eau Claire wasn't really where his expertise was anyways.  As far as I can tell, Buzz is paying for Crean's lack of attention towards Anderson.  I don't think it's fair to expect Buzz to effectively make up for an entire year's worth of disinterest from Tom Crean between the time Buzz is hired and the day Anderson commits.

That said, even if Crean had given Evan the time of day, I think Anderson probably commits to UW.  I am much more interested to see how Buzz recruits Lacy, Maymon and Flavian Davis. 

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 09:15:37 PM »
I hate to deal in stereotypes, but come on.  A 6'11" white kid from Wisconsin.  I don't think he is legally able to attend a school other than Madison.

I think Jimmy Mac must have been grandfathered in to be allowed to attend MU.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 09:32:22 PM »
Let's put it this way. If Buzz didn't want this kid, then he should be fired immediately because he obviously doesn't know stink about basketball or evaluating talent. However, I commend his judgment for not recruiting Evan since MU didn't ever have a shot of Anderson commiting.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 09:48:38 PM »
Angelina Jolie is getting married.  How many of us bothered to call her and try to sway her to take a different route?  How many of us would claim that were not interested in her?

0% and 1% (ziggy fry boy doesn't go for big lips)

i understand that this is a bit of an extreme example but there is no shame in not wasting your time when you have reason to believe that it would be a waste of time to pursue him.  And there is never a reason to go half assed after a kid like that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 10:07:38 PM »
Angelina Jolie is getting married.  How many of us bothered to call her and try to sway her to take a different route?  How many of us would claim that were not interested in her?

0% and 1% (ziggy fry boy doesn't go for big lips)

i understand that this is a bit of an extreme example but there is no shame in not wasting your time when you have reason to believe that it would be a waste of time to pursue him.  And there is never a reason to go half assed after a kid like that.

You're totally correct, so when Anderson picks bucky, no one should be the slightest bit surprised. 

If anything, why commit when you're only a sophomore in High School to bucky when Kansas is calling????  Why the hurry?  I question the kids intensity. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 12:16:01 PM by rocky_warrior »

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 10:17:51 PM »
You're total correct, so when Anderson picks bucky, no one should be the slightest bit surprised. 

If anything, why commit when you only a sophomore in High School to bucky when Kansas is calling????  Why the hurry?  I question the kids intensity. 
I don't think it's a good idea to bash 16 year old kids on a message board that other kids MU is recruiting or their coaches may read.  It makes us look cheap.  I wish he came here, but calling him names after the fact can only hurt our reputation.  Best of luck to Evan.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 12:16:36 PM by rocky_warrior »

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 12:31:49 AM »
You're totally correct, so when Anderson picks bucky, no one should be the slightest bit surprised. 

If anything, why commit when you're only a sophomore in High School to bucky when Kansas is calling????  Why the hurry?  I question the kids intensity. 

Wow. Let's leave the kids alone please. If Evan grew up loving all things Badgers, saw his friends having solid careers there, saw the way Bo handles players like him, sees Bo staying there forever, and can stay close to home, then that is why he commits even though Kansas is calling.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 12:16:55 PM by rocky_warrior »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 08:59:21 AM »

I've met a lot of small town "shop teachers/bball coaches" with more class than you.  You must be from the BIG city of Milwaukee...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 12:17:14 PM by rocky_warrior »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 09:12:41 AM »

Worst post in a while.

Nice job.

::)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 12:17:39 PM by rocky_warrior »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 09:15:09 AM »
i understand being bitter, but the idea that other recruits might read this should dissuade us from labeling a kid a future alcoholic shop teacher because he commited to a rival

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 09:33:30 AM »
i understand being bitter, but the idea that other recruits might read this should dissuade us from labeling a kid a future alcoholic shop teacher because he commited to a rival

First I never said anything about being a alcoholic, is that a distant memory from your past?  Care to "let it all out?"

Second, I really wasn't slamming Anderson.  Rather, I was slamming Bucky.  My comments inflammed because what I really said was Wisconsin is a loser school.  Must have struck a raw nerve.

Had I written the same and substituted Harvard, Stanford, Northwestern, Notre Dame or Princeton, would you have had the same reaction?  For instance, had I said the same thing aout 6' 11" Kyle Rowley choosing Northwestern over MU, it would have looked stupid.  We know why Rowley chose NW.  He plans of becoming a rich hedge fund manager after his college playing days are over.  What stereotype do you think of when  6' 11" Anderson picks Wisconsin?  What do you think his long-term plans are?  Answer, the difference between NW and Bucky, not the kids.

I can only take that many of you that think my post was "a shot" is you agree that Wisconsin is a second rate institution and it shows "lack of class" to bash someone that aspires to attend a second class institution.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 09:37:15 AM by AnotherMU84 »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 09:42:12 AM »
First I never said anything about being a alcoholic, is that a distant memory from your past?  Care to "let it all out?"

Second, I really wasn't slamming Anderson.  Rather, I was slamming Bucky.  My comments inflammed because what I really said was Wisconsin is a loser school.  Must have struck a raw nerve.

Had I written the same and substituted Harvard, Stanford, Northwestern, Notre Dame or Princeton, would you have had the same reaction?  For instance, had I said the same thing aout 6' 11" Kyle Rowley choosing Northwestern over MU, it would have looked stupid.  We know why Rowley chose NW.  He plans of becoming a rich hedge fund manager after his college playing days are over.  What stereotype do you think of when  6' 11" Anderson picks Wisconsin?  What do you think his long-term plans are?  Answer, the difference between NW and Bucky, not the kids.

I can only take that many of you that think my post was "a shot" is you agree that Wisconsin is a second rate institution and it shows "lack of class" to bash someone that aspires to attend a second class institution.

We're talking about Madison right? One of top public universities in the nation right? I'm sure the kid will be fine in the future, he isn't attending Parkside...

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 09:45:06 AM »

The kid chose the school that he wanted to go to. He has his reasons. Quit trying to apply some sort of blanket stereotype to a kid you don't even know.

Yes, we know that the western part of the state LOVES UW, and yes, we know he is white... and no, it is not surprising that he is going to UW.

But, to imply that the kid somehow has lower standards or goals is just asinine.

He chose the school he wanted to go to, and he shouldn't be criticized from an internet hero like yourself.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 10:02:16 AM »
If Buzz wanted him or not is not the question in my mind. You have to put at least a token effort on any WI kid that will be a top 25 recruit. UW gets all of the rural kids and that is understandable to some degree.

Buzz has to recruit any top 25 player in the area. Worst thing is the kid might go here. I think it goes completely in the perception around the country category. Even if you do not want kids you want your name in the final schools.

Everytime UW does get a rural kid I say to myself "big deal" and two years later I am pissed they went there.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 10:28:40 AM »
Actually with Bucky only having one scholarship available for that class, Evan probably had to commit right now before he lost his chance to go there.  There was probably no guarantee that Kansas would have offered a scholarship.  Anyways he does seem like Madison was probably his dream school.  Nothing wrong with that. 

As far as MU not showing interest, I am sure MU would have loved to have landed Evan but probably backed off when it looked like it was going to be an extreme uphill climb to get him.  WHy invest a ton of resources at a shot in the dark.  I think TC learned his lesson when it came to Butch and recruiting the western part of Wisconsin.  TC probably focused on other players that he had a better shot at landing.  At least that is my take on the situation.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 10:42:15 AM »

WOW....UW is surely not a second rate university, and it's alum. like you that sometimes make me wish I had a grad. degree from UW over MU.  UW has a ton going for themselves, as does MU, and many of our small state schools have excellent programs as well (see UW-Whitewater's MCS program).  Wisconsin has great universities, both public and private.  In my experience with many MU alum. I would have to say your second class (and that's being gracious).

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 11:10:10 AM »
through all this bickering, we lost what was being really said.  Anderson was going to Wisconsin, no doubt.  To blame Buzz for "losing" Anderson is a joke.  The kid was going to Wisconsin once he grew to 6'11"... he will be the second coming of Brian Butch, I can live without him.

And when did it become against our nature to make fun of Bucky's players... we were applauding the idea of the sign at the game "Brian Butch, 2003 McD's All-American, 2008 McD's employee", but calling a man out for living in his small town's dreams and going back as a shop teacher is bad and mean?  It is 80% true.  Going to a school in the middle of nowhere, they all live off of their high school teams (I am sick of hearing about Lancaster High School football, who cares, we are in college).  Really, they all live in it, and I am sure that Anderson's town is no different. 
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 11:13:48 AM »
I think TC learned his lesson when it came to Butch and recruiting the western part of Wisconsin.

Sorry if this is nitpicking, but Butch came from Appleton. That's eastern Wisconsin. However, I think the perception rings true for almost the entire state outside of Milwaukee and Madison.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 11:40:40 AM »
WOW....UW is surely not a second rate university, and it's alum. like you that sometimes make me wish I had a grad. degree from UW over MU.  UW has a ton going for themselves, as does MU, and many of our small state schools have excellent programs as well (see UW-Whitewater's MCS program).  Wisconsin has great universities, both public and private.  In my experience with many MU alum. I would have to say your second class (and that's being gracious).

All Public institutions are second rate.  They waste the tax payers money and take about three times the resources to deliver what a private institution delivers.

The vast majority of schools in this country are public.  When one lists the top universities in the coutnry, the vast majority are private. Why that?  Because the public institutions are not that good.

So, my comments could be expanded to the entire big ten.  It's a giant collect of overly large community college (save Northwestern which is private).