[Today at 08:41:12 AM]

NM by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 01:04:38 AM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Billy Hoyle
[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by Herman Cain
[June 18, 2024, 06:55:14 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Did Buzz Really Want Anderson?  (Read 5588 times)

jce

Re: Did Buzz Really Want Anderson?
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 11:54:25 AM »
All Public institutions are second rate.  They waste the tax payers money and take about three times the resources to deliver what a private institution delivers.

The vast majority of schools in this country are public.  When one lists the top universities in the coutnry, the vast majority are private. Why that?  Because the public institutions are not that good.

So, my comments could be expanded to the entire big ten.  It's a giant collect of overly large community college (save Northwestern which is private).

This is kind of funny since the typical freshman entering Madison has a higher ACT score than those entering Marquette.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 12:03:41 PM »
All Public institutions are second rate.  They waste the tax payers money and take about three times the resources to deliver what a private institution delivers.

The vast majority of schools in this country are public.  When one lists the top universities in the coutnry, the vast majority are private. Why that?  Because the public institutions are not that good.

So, my comments could be expanded to the entire big ten.  It's a giant collect of overly large community college (save Northwestern which is private).

Wow. I'm not one to defend Madison, but your comments are completely arrogant. Evan Anderson will most likely getting a better education at Madison than he would have at Marquette.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 12:21:53 PM »
1) I edit all the posts quoting AnotherMU84's bashing of Evan's choice.
2) AnotherMU84 - it's fine to be critical of losing Evan, but don't turn it into a hate filled tirade.
3) AnotherMU84  - if you want a thread "tearing down" public institutions, start it in the Superbar.  This is not the place for that discussion.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 03:38:34 PM »
If Buzz wanted him or not is not the question in my mind. You have to put at least a token effort on any WI kid that will be a top 25 recruit. UW gets all of the rural kids and that is understandable to some degree.

Buzz has to recruit any top 25 player in the area. Worst thing is the kid might go here. I think it goes completely in the perception around the country category. Even if you do not want kids you want your name in the final schools.

Everytime UW does get a rural kid I say to myself "big deal" and two years later I am pissed they went there.

Who says he didn't put forth a token effort?  It says here he didn't go to any games this year, for all we know we may have made several phone calls and other contacts attempts.  If there was any inside knowlege about the fact that he was choosing to go to wisconsin then there wouldn't be much of a purpose to send people driving into the sticks to watch him post up some 6'6 kid.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 05:26:21 PM »
Rawdog---It appears that we did not go hard after him. While I am not recruiting 7' high school kids I drive to the sticks every week to earn a paycheck. I would rather drive to EauClaire and try and get a high prospect than fly to TX and recruit third or fourth team all staters.

I do not think many programs can take a flier on not recruiting a 7' highly regarded prospect. Coach Rick lost Wolfe over two decades ago but it was not from a lack of effort. A kid like Anderson can making a recruiting year. If I was Wilson/Lacy/maymon I would take notice. Those three and Anderson might be a FF team in four years.

jce

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2008, 06:41:11 PM »
Rawdog---It appears that we did not go hard after him. While I am not recruiting 7' high school kids I drive to the sticks every week to earn a paycheck. I would rather drive to EauClaire and try and get a high prospect than fly to TX and recruit third or fourth team all staters.

I do not think many programs can take a flier on not recruiting a 7' highly regarded prospect. Coach Rick lost Wolfe over two decades ago but it was not from a lack of effort. A kid like Anderson can making a recruiting year. If I was Wilson/Lacy/maymon I would take notice. Those three and Anderson might be a FF team in four years.

Right now, UW has no scholarships available for both 2009 and 2010.

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2008, 07:42:11 PM »
honestly im completely ok with another big white guy going to Madison. The last five star white guy they got was Brian Butch: an ok college player who will be on a one way trip to Europe this fall. And MU's last big five star white guy: Chris Grimm and we all know how that turned out. Honestly Steve Novak qualifies as the instate big white guy but that is a different story because he plays small and i believe he was a three or four star. Let Madison keep their stiff tall white guys from the farms and we will take the athletic players from city teams

Created by the Jamil_toMU09

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2008, 08:37:35 PM »

The vast majority of schools in this country are public.  When one lists the top universities in the country, the vast majority are private. Why that?  Because the public institutions are not that good.

As someone who has degrees from both public and private universities I can tell you don't know much about researching education and what employers want.  My undergrad from UW-Whitewater saved me how many tens of thousands of dollars over MU and was looked more highly upon than MU as the program consistently ranks in the top 5 in the nation.  My grad. degree from MU ranked second to UW; however, I was very pleased with MU and what they did for me after obtaining the degree.  No better or worse than UW-Whitewater or UW...all respectable in various areas.  I'm very proud of the public and private education in this state.  It's too bad you feel the need to hold that childish grudge towards public education.

I have an uncle who was a professor at MU for many many years.  He now lives in the Madison area and is amazed at some of their programs.  I'm guessing you know more about education then he though.  Perhaps I should pursue a doctorate at Oral Roberts ;D