[Today at 05:32:20 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What happened to Ahoya?  (Read 10078 times)

MUEng92

• All American
What happened to Ahoya?
« on: November 02, 2006, 06:40:57 PM »
I tried to access it just now and got a server error.

Did it finally crash and burn or is this a momentary thing?

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: What happened to Ahoya?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 06:58:04 PM »
main site says offline for regularly scheduled maintenance and lists the hours.. odd thing is the hours are 2-5am.. either:
1.) they're in a weird timezone
2.) they meant 2PM-5am
3.) they're having issues
4.) or they finally crumbled

my bet is #2 or #3... I sincerely hope it isn't #4 (I bear no ill-will to ANY MU related site).
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 07:35:47 PM »
Please .. just let Ahoya die off.   If everyone stops posting there, it will blow away like dust.  Bring people here, better software, more energy, no F'ing pop ups, pop unders, pop overs.  No ads at all.

Scoop is off to a great, great start. 

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 07:38:46 PM »
*whispers* you forgot "completely free"   ;D  (thanks Rocky!!!)
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 09:38:50 PM »
it's back up, with the hottest discussion on the first page of topics being the Charlie Weis 60 minutes piece.

cue 'taps'  :'(

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 10:59:56 AM »
it's back up, with the hottest discussion on the first page of topics being the Charlie Weis 60 minutes piece.

cue 'taps'  :'(

I would have thought someone would have taken the bulls by the horns and had that site buzzing.  Everytime I look there seems to be 70 plus online visitors but almost all of them are not posting.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 12:14:55 PM »
I think the counter is broken over there.  When you expand the list of who's on line, there are only a handful, but the counter says like 90.   ???

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 12:36:22 PM »
Bring people here, better software, more energy, no F'ing pop ups, pop unders, pop overs.  No ads at all.

Ahoya had ads?  Hmm...Adblock on Firefox must work REALLY well :)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 01:10:10 PM »
The counter on Ahoya was and is totally fubar.  No way 90 people are looking at that site, as all 90 of them would walk away saying "nothing here, I should leave".

MUScoop was not born to further divide the MU community.  It was created to replace Ahoya, and we need to shepard those folks here as best we can.

MarkMiller

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 02:02:09 PM »
Out of curiosity and considering the apparent demise of Ahoya, why wouldn't Ahoya board members go to Marquettehoops.com?

Seems a bit redunant to have another site, though all MU news is always welcome. 

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 02:21:52 PM »
Speaking for myself only, the Scout board is too controlling.  If you veer too far from praise, you get deleted and/or banned.  Posters like Nightmare, Baseline, etc are not welcome to post there because they tend to be glass half-empty.  Personally, I think they're overly critical, but they should have the opportunity to be so.  Furthermore, I think negitive comments encourage more readers to post rebuttals, giving us all a more balanced look.  Not to mention, everything here is free.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 02:24:50 PM »
Out of curiosity and considering the apparent demise of Ahoya, why wouldn't Ahoya board members go to Marquettehoops.com?

Seems a bit redunant to have another site, though all MU news is always welcome. 

Hmmm...I suppose I could turn that around and say: Now that MUScoop exists, why don't all Ahoya and MarquetteHoops members congregate here?  We've got better software, good respectful conversation, no banner ads, and "Dry White Toast" (love the nickname...heh) :)

The honest answer though: It all used to be Ahoya (and I think geocities before that?)  When MarquetteHoops was created, it also created some inexplicable divisive force between the two communities.  The are a lot of people that (used to?) post on Ahoya that do not feel comfortable or welcome at Marquette Hoops.

The eventual goal with MUScoop is to provide a good community for all Marquette fans, and hopefully break down that division between the two as things progress.

Did I mention, the forum software is so much better than what Rivals and Scout can offer  8)  And the integrated features (blogs, chat, wiki) will make the gap even wider between the two platforms (from a technology standpoint).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 07:05:07 PM by rocky_warrior »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 02:47:35 PM »
I love this place, its my new home ;D

I do hope everyone comes over, even the people I disagree with most of the time.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 03:12:25 PM »
I think it's just a preference of the posters who prefer this community.  As with all communities, some people feel like they associate with one more than another.  While I subscribe to the Scout premium content (which is great), I prefer to post within this community as I feel more a part of this bar, errr... community. 

I think the more communities, the better it is for all of us.  It will allow everyone to find a place they feel comfortable and allow them to share their view points without fear of persecution.  The more viewpoints we are exposed to, the more open-minded we will all be!

"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 03:44:46 PM »

I agree and disagree.  When The Great Schism occurred, and Dodds split with Juno, I was very much against diluting the community. 

Eventually, it became clear why there are two communities, as the editorial policies of each are quite different.   IIRC Dodds has been a statisician for MU for years, which makes the Scout site, roughly, run by an arm of Marquette.  Of course they have a tight policy on what can be posted.  Of course.

Ahoya, and now Scoop, exist to allow all voices to be heard, not just the ones Marquette would like you to hear.

And true, there are a great many who don't want to hear critical voices, and just stick with Scout.  I can understand that.  C'est la vie.

MarkMiller

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2006, 04:29:48 PM »
Fair enough. Thanks for the replies. I was just curious.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2006, 07:51:52 PM »
appreciated the history lesson, hilltopper

4everwarriors

• All American
Did Kevin's Exodus
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2006, 09:41:42 PM »
signal the grand finale?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"