'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Nick Williams to IU  (Read 21854 times)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
Re: Nick Williams to IU
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 03:06:09 PM »
Adios! Have fun not playing next season, Nick!

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 03:11:47 PM »
Business is business and ethics/morals/conscience seems to have long since absented itself from most business transactions. For that reason, I can't really fault Crean too much, even if it does show his true character.

That said, I don't understand why we didn't give this guy a conditional release from his LOI. F*ck Crean. He shouldn't get to reap the rewards of kids backing out of LOI's due to his actions.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 03:13:32 PM »
I'd like to say I'm shocked, but I'm not at all.  I used to be a big Crean supporter, but now I can't believe I ever defended the guy.  I hope NW has fun running the three-man weave for the next four years.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 03:15:02 PM »
Disgusting.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 03:16:15 PM »
Business is business and ethics/morals/conscience seems to have long since absented itself from most business transactions. For that reason, I can't really fault Crean too much, even if it does show his true character.

That said, I don't understand why we didn't give this guy a conditional release from his LOI. F*ck Crean. He shouldn't get to reap the rewards of kids backing out of LOI's due to his actions.

Exactly.  It's painfully obvious he sold NW on himself rather than Marquette.  I hope he crashes and burns at IU (Crean, that is).

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 03:25:56 PM »
Another kick in the pants from this long, seemingly unending ordeal.

Are we soon going to find out that Crean left a flaming paper bag of dog poop in his office the day he left?

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 03:27:42 PM »
su-prise, su-prise, su-prise.

:P

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 03:36:33 PM »
Not sure why this is shocking or whatever.  He wanted to play for Crean...it is what it is.  If MU had hired someone that brought a recruit with them, I doubt we would be upset. 

Crean also signed another kid today.  And why would Nick not play next year...I don't get that.  He'll play, and he'll be plenty good.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 03:41:01 PM »

Crean also signed another kid today. 

He's a 6'2" guard.  I wonder how long it will be before the Indiana fans start complaining that Tanning Cream can't recruit quality bigs.  ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 03:44:40 PM »
He's a 6'2" guard.  I wonder how long it will be before the Indiana fans start complaining that Tanning Cream can't recruit quality bigs.  ;)

Not long, look at who's on their list for next year and their are 7 kids 6'8" or larger that have IU in their final schools.

I know people want him to crash and burn, that's to be expected....but I think people better set themselves up for reality right now.  He's going to do well there and he's going to recruit well there.  The state of Indiana is pretty excited about Crean right now, more so about a coach in quite a long time.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 03:47:42 PM »
F U Crean.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 03:54:56 PM »
What no more Judas?  Crean, Tom Crean.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 03:55:38 PM »
Not long, look at who's on their list for next year and their are 7 kids 6'8" or larger that have IU in their final schools.

I know people want him to crash and burn, that's to be expected....but I think people better set themselves up for reality right now.  He's going to do well there and he's going to recruit well there.  The state of Indiana is pretty excited about Crean right now, more so about a coach in quite a long time.

Good points. Crean is going to be very successful at IU. Williams will be a good player for them. Folks need to move on.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 03:59:15 PM »
Crean will obviously recruit better at Indiana, that should be a given.

Can he coach them up, run a system that will win with these kids? Can he keep the Zeller/Oden types from leaving the state?

IU fans are in love with him right now, for sure. Like a relationship, any time you start dating a girl you really like, you're going to love mostly everything about her at first.

Crean's true test will be two years from now. If the top talent from the state is still going elsewhere, and IU is finishing in the 4th-6th range in the conference and making one and done trips to the NCAAs, we'll see how long he lasts there. Purdue being a top 5/10 team this year is bad news for Crean. Ohio St, Mich St and the national powers (Carolina, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, etc) are always going to recruit Indiana well.

Crean will recruit well compared to what he could do at Marquette. Problem is he better recruit EXCEPTIONALY well or coach exceptionally well (very much up in the air) to be successful at Indiana. After all, success at Indiana is much different from most schools. It is after all Indiana, Indiana.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 04:00:15 PM »
Not sure why this is shocking or whatever.  He wanted to play for Crean...it is what it is.  If MU had hired someone that brought a recruit with them, I doubt we would be upset. 

Crean also signed another kid today.  And why would Nick not play next year...I don't get that.  He'll play, and he'll be plenty good.

+1, obvious double standard.  Do you really think buzz wasn't in contact with any of the people he brought his first year?  

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 04:06:35 PM »
When KO left for Tenn. he said he would not take any Mu players or recruits that comitted to MU.  Shame we didn't get the same from TC

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 04:07:31 PM »
+1, obvious double standard.  Do you really think buzz wasn't in contact with any of the people he brought his first year?  

You mean a JUCO and a two-star uncommitted high school junior?

Hardly a double standard.

IU fan

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 04:13:26 PM »

mr.MUskie

• All American
Re: Q & A with Nick Williams about IU decision
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 04:15:37 PM »
What is it about Coach Crean that made you want to play for him so badly?

NW: Him being a winner. Everybody loves winners. As I think about all the players that he’s developed, you can see the kind of talent he has. You can tell that he really loves his kids

Until he sneaks out on them.

MarquetteFan94

• All American

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 04:17:10 PM »
Unless Nick Williams plans on being a 6th year senior at IU, I'll bet the 401k he isn't winning a national championship at IU.

On the other hand, had he said NIT championship....

3Mer

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 04:20:04 PM »

I don't know about any "double standard" -- probably because I don't remember a new MU coach ever bringing any significant recruits with him -- but I know why Crean's conduct is burning me.

MU paid Crean an OBSCENE annual salary, in part, to recruit players for MU.  He already collected his salary for 2007-2008, which included payment for recruiting the same players he is now soliciting for Indiana, many of whom had signed letters of intent.

The NCAA recognizes players don't sign to play for coaches -- they sign to play for schools who pay big money to recruit them.  Had I been the MU Athletic Director, I would have forced those recruits to transfer and sacrifice a year of eligibility.

And just because Crean's conduct may not technically violate any NCAA rules, I still find it unethical.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 04:22:34 PM »
HE IS A EVIL EVIL MONKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 04:24:10 PM »

Jilted lovers syndrome is alive and well.   ;)