collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461364 times)

IAmMarquette

• All American
Re: The Offical Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2008, 09:06:02 PM »
In closing, while everyone is sitting here bitching about who has better fans, which town is better, what traditions are more interesting,etc., I'll be the one going to the ballparks to watch some good baseball.

Are you questioning our collective fanhood?!?!  :D

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »

Are you questioning our collective fanhood?!?!  :D

does your collective fanhood need questioning?
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2008, 09:26:39 AM »
does your collective fanhood need questioning?

Possibly his manhood. :-*

hmay911

• Walk-On
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2008, 03:05:23 PM »

I have been to many games at both parks.  I like both parks for different reasons.  Wrigley is old school.  I agree that most fans at the game are there for the game.  Miller Park is a neat new stadium.  Lots of stuff going on to take your attention away from the game.  As a true baseball fan I don't care about that stuff, but it makes it a lot easier for my wife to go to the games.  It makes it more family friendly.

In closing, while everyone is sitting here bitching about who has better fans, which town is better, what traditions are more interesting,etc., I'll be the one going to the ballparks to watch some good baseball.

I have to agree with you!  I am definitely a Brewer fan all the way - sorry guys.  But I love both parks.  I love Wrigley for the great atmosphere, it's just something you can't beat!  On the other hand, Miller Park is a five minute drive for me and let's face it, A LOT Cheaper in gas money for me these days than a drive to Chicago!! 

Now I haven't missed a game at home yet this year, and since we're starting our away series with the Cubbies this week I'm driving down to good old Chicago tomorrow for the games at Wrigley. 

Just like "jaybilaswho?" I'll be braving the criticism and evil eyes of those around me as I will be decked out in my brewer garb as I am at our home games.  But remember this as you throw your peanuts and beer at me, when I watch people come strolling into my section at Miller Park during the Florida Marlins series and you're dressed in your Cubs gear from head to toe, I leave you be... at least when I come to your house, I'm there to root for my team - not just purely to root against yours.

Here's hoping for sunny skies this week!  Damn roofless stadiums!   ;)
Badgerkiller - we'll see you at the ballpark!

Moonboots

• Starter

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2008, 08:43:12 AM »

But remember this as you throw your peanuts and beer at me, when I watch people come strolling into my section at Miller Park during the Florida Marlins series and you're dressed in your Cubs gear from head to toe, I leave you be... at least when I come to your house, I'm there to root for my team - not just purely to root against yours.

Thats the most annoying thing in the world. At the cardinal game last tuesday, I was sitting in the right field bleachers. After every play, for brewers or cardinals, Boos would come hurtling down from behind me. I didnt think much about it, but Boos kept coming after every good play for either team. After a while, I turn around and a few rows back from me are two cubs fans; they're the ones booing. Why would you go to a Cards/Brewers game just to be annoying??? Save teh $15 and stay home. Between these two and the drunk kid that got out of the trailer park with his friends, only to obnoxiuosly shout dumb comments/insults, the right field bleachers sucked. I am a left field bleacher guy all the way.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2008, 10:43:18 AM »

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2008, 12:57:26 PM »
Thats the most annoying thing in the world. At the cardinal game last tuesday, I was sitting in the right field bleachers. After every play, for brewers or cardinals, Boos would come hurtling down from behind me. I didnt think much about it, but Boos kept coming after every good play for either team. After a while, I turn around and a few rows back from me are two cubs fans; they're the ones booing. Why would you go to a Cards/Brewers game just to be annoying??? Save teh $15 and stay home. Between these two and the drunk kid that got out of the trailer park with his friends, only to obnoxiuosly shout dumb comments/insults, the right field bleachers sucked. I am a left field bleacher guy all the way.

As a Cubs fan, I'll agree with you. I'll go to Brewer games (especially when they're giving away tickets to MU students, already happened for 5 games this year) and often wear a Cubs shirt. But there's no need to boo. I'll sit quietly, applaud good plays, and enjoy the game. No need for any booing.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2008, 01:24:01 PM »
I went to Miller Park on Saturday and tried to enjoy the game but whenever the Marlins came up to bat a guy in my section had to start the wave.  And the worst part is the Brewer fans actually did it. 

Miller Park is not where to go to if you want to actually watch the game.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2008, 02:07:29 PM »
I went to Miller Park on Saturday and tried to enjoy the game but whenever the Marlins came up to bat a guy in my section had to start the wave.  And the worst part is the Brewer fans actually did it. 

Just ignore the wave people. I do. That is one thing I hate about Miller Park. I hate the unnatural carnal knowledgeing wave. Period.
But I like to throw handfuls...

jficke13

• All American
To all Cubs fans.
« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2008, 03:04:50 PM »
I relish the following:

You will go to your grave without seeing a Cubs World Series victory.
Your children will go to their graves without seeing a Cubs World Series victory.
Your grandchildren will go to their graves without seeing a Cubs World Series victory.

Few things make me happier than watching dejected Cubs fans TV in October and seeing little kids and old women crying when they realize this.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2008, 03:17:05 PM »
wave not bad, when the idiots do it backwards like they did on Saturday, that's annoying.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2008, 10:23:37 PM »

As far as "a guy in my section..." stories, just avoid the upper deck or you'll always get a few.  Miller Park's high "affordability" rating just caters to letting trash in the upper deck so they can get the extra revenue and breaking attendance records.  If I found out I could only get a ticket in the 400 level, I think I would just stay in the parking lot and listen to Uecker or go home and watch it on tv.

bean

• Walk-On
« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2008, 11:06:34 PM »
25 years later, and it still applies.

Lee Elia will always be my favorite Cubs manager of all time.  Second on the list is of course Dusty Baker.

"The (bleepers) don't even work. That's why they're out at the (bleeping) game. They oughtta go out and get a (bleeping) job and find out what it's like to go out and earn a (bleeping) living. Eighty-five percent of the (bleeping) world is working. The other 15 come out here. A (bleeping) playground for the (bleepers). Rip them (bleepers)! Rip them (bleeping) (bleepers) like the (bleeping) players!"

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080423-lee-elia-apologize-rant-tirade,1,5225738.story

hmay911

• Walk-On
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2008, 11:12:46 PM »
As far as "a guy in my section..." stories, just avoid the upper deck or you'll always get a few.  Miller Park's high "affordability" rating just caters to letting trash in the upper deck so they can get the extra revenue and breaking attendance records.  If I found out I could only get a ticket in the 400 level, I think I would just stay in the parking lot and listen to Uecker or go home and watch it on tv.

See now here is the arrogance I can't stand.  Try to get your information correct before opening your mouth and jamming that cub paw in there so far.  The 300 and 400 levels are packed with season ticket holders who have paid close to $2000.00 for their tickets because they have normal jobs and can't afford the tens of thousands it would cost to be a season ticket holder on the field level. 

Here's a thought - if the wave bothers you THAT MUCH, then stay the hell out of our ballpark.  I'm tired of it, I don't care for the wave either, as I'm usually the one trying to watch the game, but it's part of the parks history so it's not going away... and trust me, a bunch of cub fans complaining that it's "annoying them" is certainly not going to cause it to stop. 

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2008, 11:57:58 PM »
actually... both cubs fans and brewers fans have complained about the wave...

chapman

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2008, 12:23:41 AM »
See now here is the arrogance I can't stand.  Try to get your information correct before opening your mouth and jamming that cub paw in there so far.  The 300 and 400 levels are packed with season ticket holders who have paid close to $2000.00 for their tickets because they have normal jobs and can't afford the tens of thousands it would cost to be a season ticket holder on the field level. 

Here's a thought - if the wave bothers you THAT MUCH, then stay the hell out of our ballpark.  I'm tired of it, I don't care for the wave either, as I'm usually the one trying to watch the game, but it's part of the parks history so it's not going away... and trust me, a bunch of cub fans complaining that it's "annoying them" is certainly not going to cause it to stop. 

Ummm...hate to say it, but I'm a Brewers fan.  Get your information correct before assuming things.  I've been a Brewers fan all my life; a Cubs fan would never sit in the parking lot and listen to Uecker!  It's just that every time I sit in the 400 level I'm next to a seat with vomit on it, sitting next to people being ignorant enough to light up a cigarette, intoxicated idiots who won't sit, intoxicated idiots who attempt to talk to me or touch me but are too drunk to make a sentence and end up falling on me, numerous fat chicks blocking my view while attempting to dance, and intoxicated idiots in their upper 20's who move down to sit by high school aged girls and harass them until they get up and leave.  In the other levels, I've never had any of these problems, just the 400 level.  Maybe there are season ticket holders up there, but either they have a high tolerance for the above crap, don't really watch the game, or actualy instigate some of it.  But I've experienced all of the above things, some more than once, and that is why I'm done getting duped into sitting up there when I feel like watching a game and not trailer park antics.  I'd get a couple of ten packs in the other levels and enjoy the games before suffering through a whole season up there.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 12:29:24 AM by chapman »

hmay911

• Walk-On
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2008, 12:28:19 AM »
actually... both cubs fans and brewers fans have complained about the wave...

I agree - like I said I also am not a fan of the wave.  But why bother wasting time complaining about it - it's not going to stop and calling the fans names because they participate in it isn't the answer. 

As for making digs on the park for it's "affordability" - when did it ever become a bad thing to be able to provide residents with affordable tickets?  How else does a young family of four or more afford to go to a game.  Games shouldn't only be for the people who can afford to pay through the teeth to go.  I can't figure out why that makes Miller Park a "Bad" place in your eyes.  Honestly I tried this week to get tickets to a Red Sox game in July and found that I'd have to pay $75.00 for Standing room only.  Sorry but I'll take Miller Park and their annoying wave over that any day.  And like I said before, if you're not okay with that, then just remember, no one is forcing you to be there.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2008, 12:51:38 AM »
The view up there is fine for the most part, and it's great that young people and families can go to the game.  But I would rather pay $10 than $7 to have an usher up there because too many people seem to need babysitting.  And I'd certainly be willing to give my teenage daughter a couple extra bucks so she could go to a game with a friend without having some drunken pedophile creeping her out and making her want to leave. I'd also like to not find vomit in the seat next to mine upon arriving at the game.  These are simple services, and if it cuts slightly into the "affordability" to make this one level like a ballpark and not a zoo, so be it.  But if a Cubs fan sits in the upper level and says Brewers fans don't watch the game, it's kind of sad that I have to feel the need to be telling them that they sat in the wrong place and to try again.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 30, 2008, 01:50:26 AM »
The view up there is fine for the most part, and it's great that young people and families can go to the game.  But I would rather pay $10 than $7 to have an usher up there because too many people seem to need babysitting.  And I'd certainly be willing to give my teenage daughter a couple extra bucks so she could go to a game with a friend without having some drunken pedophile creeping her out and making her want to leave. I'd also like to not find vomit in the seat next to mine upon arriving at the game.  These are simple services, and if it cuts slightly into the "affordability" to make this one level like a ballpark and not a zoo, so be it.  But if a Cubs fan sits in the upper level and says Brewers fans don't watch the game, it's kind of sad that I have to feel the need to be telling them that they sat in the wrong place and to try again.

Ever sat in the bleachers at Wrigley? People in glass houses... (not directed at you chapman, but at the Cubs fans who complain about Brewers fans not paying attention to the game).

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 30, 2008, 02:30:45 AM »
I was in the cheap seats at Wrigley tonight. Worst I have ever seen fans at a baseball game. And I'm talking about Brewer fans. Unprovoked verbal abuse, random vulgar insults, spilling beer all over, humping the railing, etc. There was a mom literally covering her daughter's eyes and ears at times. In all the games I've been to at Miller, never seen fans act as poorly as they did. I think sometimes you just get bad luck. Fortunately, the cold kept some fans away tonight so I was able to move down away from them.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2008, 09:21:26 AM »

Ever sat in the bleachers at Wrigley? People in glass houses... (not directed at you chapman, but at the Cubs fans who complain about Brewers fans not paying attention to the game).

I've sat in the bleachers almost exclusively, and 85% of the people in the bleachers have a higher baseball IQ and are watching the game than any Brewer fan I've met.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • āœ… Verified Member
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2008, 09:37:18 AM »
I've sat in the bleachers almost exclusively, and 85% of the people in the bleachers have a higher baseball IQ and are watching the game than any Brewer fan I've met.

73% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Being a former drunken young professional from Lakeview, I can tell you that 95% of the fans in the bleachers are young professionals there to enjoy some fine weather and some day drinking.  The Cubbies are secondary to being at one of the hot social events in town.

I mean, I even temporarily converted to being a Cubbies fan for a short while in order to become more homogeneous with the rest of the drunken young socialites :)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2008, 10:53:30 AM »
I was in the cheap seats at Wrigley tonight. Worst I have ever seen fans at a baseball game. And I'm talking about Brewer fans. Unprovoked verbal abuse, random vulgar insults, spilling beer all over, humping the railing, etc. There was a mom literally covering her daughter's eyes and ears at times. In all the games I've been to at Miller, never seen fans act as poorly as they did. I think sometimes you just get bad luck. Fortunately, the cold kept some fans away tonight so I was able to move down away from them.

I was at the game last night as well and I could have sworn you were talking about the Cubs fans around me. My buddy from college who I went with stated "just more idiot ass clown Cubs fans." Face it, both teams have fans that are assclowns.
But I like to throw handfuls...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2008, 10:59:21 AM »
I completely disagree. Have you really been in the bleacher more than just a Friday afternoon game? Or sat remotely close to the wall?

Nowhere else have I been able to start a sabermetrics vs. scouting conversation with the unknown guy next to me, and let it grow into 10 people in the section all adding in their thoughts.

If you try that at Miller Park, you'll get interrupted by a conversation over Jordy Nelson or Brian Brohm. Or flat out being told Chicago sucks from the 350 pounder two rows behind you.