collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461298 times)

jmayer1

• All American
Re: Baseball Pissing Match
« Reply #2025 on: July 28, 2009, 01:43:40 PM »
I don't want them to, but I wouldn't blame the Astros for throwing at his head tonight.  That's how baseball works. 
That's not how baseball works.  You never, ever, ever intentionally throw at a guy's head just out of the sheer chance that something awful could happen.  If you're going to hit somebody, you hit them in the lower back/butt/thigh area and erase any confusion about your motives.  You're trying to send a message about classlessness/cockiness/revenge..etc but you're not trying to kill anybody.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2026 on: July 28, 2009, 01:59:54 PM »
We could try to trade Cameron, but how many teams want a 36 year old who has 2 months left on his contract?  

It only takes one, and I could guaranty you the Yankees would love to add Mike Cameron right now at the right price. Their OF defense is lousy, so he would instantly be a significant upgrade there. Would be an offensive upgrade over Cabrera as well. Likely to be a Class B FA after the season too, and lord knows they gave up plenty of draft picks last off season.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #2027 on: July 28, 2009, 02:44:23 PM »
For the record I am 120% ok with the Astros throwing at Soriano today.

+1. That was some serious bush league stuff on Soriano's part. I'd be pissed if Braun did something similar.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2028 on: July 28, 2009, 03:53:31 PM »
That's not how baseball works.  You never, ever, ever intentionally throw at a guy's head just out of the sheer chance that something awful could happen.  If you're going to hit somebody, you hit them in the lower back/butt/thigh area and erase any confusion about your motives.  You're trying to send a message about classlessness/cockiness/revenge..etc but you're not trying to kill anybody.

With known red ass Roy Oswalt on the mound I'm guessing he aims high.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2029 on: July 30, 2009, 04:26:37 PM »
The Cubs are about to finalize a deal for Grabow and Gorzelany several media outlets are reporting.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #2030 on: July 30, 2009, 04:52:17 PM »
The Pirates will now be a AAA team the rest of the year. 5 opening day players are gone and 7 position players from the '08 opening day roster have been traded.  I feel sorry for the fan base of Pittsburgh. With the current ownercrap, they will continue to have the league's lowest payroll and will always be a bottom feeder.  They have had a ton of talent come through there but it is always gone by the time an average contract would be handed out.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #2031 on: July 30, 2009, 04:58:32 PM »
Billy Hall is being sent down to AAA. Hallelujah!! Now his spot on the bench can be taken by a player who actually has the ability to contribute something to the team.  Hope he straightens out w/e is wrong with him (confidence, etc.) because if the Crew miraculously finds themselves creeping into the playoffs, not likely but in case they do, at one point of his career he was a quality player and it would be great if he could get back to anywhere near that ability.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2032 on: July 30, 2009, 05:11:04 PM »
The Cubs are about to finalize a deal for Grabow and Gorzelany several media outlets are reporting.

Offical for Kevin Hart and two others.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2033 on: July 30, 2009, 07:42:36 PM »
What a joke.  The Pirates had left Gorzelany in AAA so they wouldn't have to pay him arbitration.

I don't know how Pirate fans do it.  If they'd spend a little money they have a respectable team.  Bay, McClouth, Ramirez, Grabow, Sanchez, etc.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2034 on: July 30, 2009, 08:07:29 PM »
Someone from the Journal Sentinal was just on WGN radio with David Kaplan.  He said the Brewers have labeled Escobar as untouchable and are trying to move J.J. Hardy.  He also said the C.C. trade is one that happens for the Brewers once a decade.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #2035 on: July 31, 2009, 09:19:11 AM »
Someone from the Journal Sentinal was just on WGN radio with David Kaplan.  He said the Brewers have labeled Escobar as untouchable and are trying to move J.J. Hardy.  He also said the C.C. trade is one that happens for the Brewers once a decade.

I wish Hardy would accept a move to third.  He prolly has below average power for that position but he's still a pretty solid all-around player despite his down year this year.  Next year they could toss Gamel in right (or left, but then they would have to move Braun again) and put Hart in center (again, I think he's still pretty solid despite a down year as well).  Not a world-beating team by any means but a pretty good bunch that would have a chance to contend for the division if more starting pitching was obtained.  Of course, I'm sure this won't happen and they'll give Billy Hally a chance to rebound from his down year for the 3rd consecutive year.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #2036 on: August 01, 2009, 11:35:25 AM »
http://www.wrn.com/gestalt/go.cfm?objectid=D11E4923-5056-B82A-373A7BD0E5A377BD

Hall's large salary is the only thing that's still keeping him on the Brewers roster.  He's earning $6.8-million this year and will earn $8.4-million in 2010, the final year of his four year contract with the Brewers.

He's going down to AAA (i heard it was AA) to work on his swing

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2037 on: August 03, 2009, 10:23:35 AM »
Hart on the DL and Hall up to play in the outfield.

Brewer's season is over.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2038 on: August 03, 2009, 12:03:30 PM »
Of the 59 games the Cubs have left, only 19 are against opponents with a .500 record or better. 

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2039 on: August 04, 2009, 09:29:31 PM »
A nice outing by Gorzalany in his Cubs debut.  Hopefully he can carry that over to teams not managed by Dusty Baker.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2040 on: August 05, 2009, 06:41:18 AM »
Thank God for this. The Brewer fans all seemed to have left.

Ken Macha is crying again. First he wanted Dempster fined and suspended for throwing high and tight on a ball that hit Brauns bat. Now he wants Mota fined and suspended for throwing high and tight on Fielder.

Considering the Dodgers were retaliating for two of their own (including Manny) getting drilled Macha needs to shut the hell up.  For being an "old school" manager he acts like a wimpy high priced free agent.

Fielder should be the one fined and suspended for his dumb ass tirade outside the Dodgers clubhouse which included swearing in front of fans.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090805&content_id=6254876&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb 

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #2041 on: August 05, 2009, 07:36:00 AM »

Fielder should be the one fined and suspended for his dumb ass tirade outside the Dodgers clubhouse which included swearing in front of fans.

Did he seriously think he could charge into the LA clubhouse and face Mota one on one?  Stupid actions for what seemed like an appropriate response to Manny getting plunked.  I am glad Mota did this, as last year in the playoffs against the Phillies Manny got hit twice, and the Dodgers didn't protect him. Good to see they have some balls this year.  Looking forward to seeing how far they can go.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2042 on: August 05, 2009, 07:38:59 AM »

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090805&content_id=6254876&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb 

Oh no, not swearing!  And to quote Helen Lovejoy "But what about the children?!!??"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2043 on: August 05, 2009, 07:56:23 AM »
Did he seriously think he could charge into the LA clubhouse and face Mota one on one?  Stupid actions for what seemed like an appropriate response to Manny getting plunked.  I am glad Mota did this, as last year in the playoffs against the Phillies Manny got hit twice, and the Dodgers didn't protect him. Good to see they have some balls this year.  Looking forward to seeing how far they can go.

Fielder should be fined for his tirade no doubt.  But you don't throw at a guy to settle the score when you are up 13 runs in the 8th inning.  I heard the audio from Vin Scully this morning and he basically said the same thing.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #2044 on: August 05, 2009, 08:03:18 AM »

Fielder should be fined for his tirade no doubt.  But you don't throw at a guy to settle the score when you are up 13 runs in the 8th inning.  I heard the audio from Vin Scully this morning and he basically said the same thing.

I agree to a certain extent, but when is a good time to throw at a guy? A close game in the 5th inning?  I would think a game that is already out of hand would be a better time to get this out of the way and move on.  Although with 2 outs in the 9th, as was the case last night, may be a little extreme.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2045 on: August 05, 2009, 08:15:43 AM »
Watch the game and decide if there deserved to be retalliation and I am sure you will come to the conclusion that it was rediculous to throw at Fielder.

Cattalanatto got hit early in the game and there was no retalliation.

The Manny plunck was completely accidental... like most beanballs... what would happen if the Brewers retalliated everytime Kendall or Weeks got hit?

If the first place Dodgers really want to get into a throwing match I'm not sure the Brewers really have a problem with doing that at this point.

Macha wasn't crying, he said it was unnecessary, and he was right.

I understand the concept of protecting players, but there is a time and a place for throwing at people and this was not one of them.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 08:18:09 AM by Hards_Alumni »

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2046 on: August 05, 2009, 08:46:20 AM »
Macha wasn't crying, he said it was unnecessary, and he was right.

Saying it was unnecessary is one thing, however, Macha said he should be fined and suspended.  I consider that crying.  And this isn't even the first time.

Eariler this season Soriano got drilled in the helmet for acting like an ass after a homerun.  When asked about it, Lou said, "It probably had something to do with his homerun last night".  He didn't call it unnecessary or ask for the pitcher to be suspended or fined.

How did Ken Macha feel when the Brewers drilled Reed Johnson after he robbed Prince Fielder of a grand slam.  Or when the Brewers drilled Derrek Lee after the Cubs hit Prince Fielder with a breakingball with a guy on base in a tie game. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2047 on: August 05, 2009, 08:56:23 AM »
The pitch Ramirez got hit on was one that rode too far in. From a AAAA reliever. Not even close to intentional. Fielder and Macha have every right to be pissed off. What is the point in hitting Manny there, when you're just trying to get the freaking game over with? My favorite part is wanting to "protect" Manny. By doing that, aren't you opening him up to another one tonight?

That said, Prince's actions were ridiculous. But Mota, and Torre for that matter, should both be suspended. It happened in 07 when the Brewers got into their pennant race beanball war with St. Louis. Yost and McClung were both suspended for plunking Pujols.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #2048 on: August 05, 2009, 09:13:41 AM »
A nice outing by Gorzalany in his Cubs debut.  Hopefully he can carry that over to teams not managed by Dusty Baker.

Agreed....great outing last night....he was only guaranteed 3 starts but he gives us a lot more flexibility with spot starts and/or out of the pen....so far, so good!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2049 on: August 05, 2009, 10:02:27 AM »
Prince will be gone for a little while, but I'm just glad the heat from his thighs rubbing together didn't spark a wildfire with all the running around he was doing in the tunnels.

feedback