Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 10:43:28 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461327 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #1800 on: July 07, 2009, 06:44:14 PM »
So Melvin will trade Hall and/or Hardy in the middle of a division race, and be perfectly fine with plugging in Escobar & Gamel?

If Doug Melvin could trade Bill Hall for anyone not named Alfonso Sorian or Vernon wells, I assure he would do it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1801 on: July 07, 2009, 07:32:19 PM »
lets be honest here.

Escobar is one of THE top prospects in the minors... he is going to be a good player.  write it down, stamp it, mail it in. 

Gamel will be a pretty good slugger.  Watch him at the plate, he has the poise of a guy who has been in the league for years.

As for the Brewers pitching, we have Gallardo.  thats is.  To say we have starting pitching behind him is at best wishful thinking.

I am a realist.  Are they serviceable? yes.  are they a couple of 4th and 5th starters trying to fill in as 2s and 3s?  absolutely.

As for the Braun comment, there has been nothing but support for his comment in the Milwaukee and Madison media since he said it.  It is truth and that is why they aren't ripping him.  Melvin and every Brewer fan knew that we NEEDED pitching in the offseason, and we got Hoffman and Looper.  Now, Hoffman, I couldn't be more pleased with.  Looper... I just figured we were signing another Cardinals pitcher who was a member of a completely mediocre pitching staff.  Why sign another Suppan type player.  I am sick and tired of all command pitchers because when the wheels come off they just fall right off.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1802 on: July 07, 2009, 07:42:15 PM »
I would say Looper has been exactly what they were hoping for, maybe more - a guy to eat innings and give you a chance. I truly don't think they viewed him as anything more than that.

Parra was the key going into the season, and that hasn't changed. Had he piteched like the number 2-3 type starter they were hoping for, the rotation would be just fine. He hasn't, so more is expected of everyone else...more than they are capable of. The problems were obviously compounded recently by Bush's injury.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1803 on: July 08, 2009, 12:02:52 PM »
If Doug Melvin could trade Bill Hall for anyone not named Alfonso Sorian or Vernon wells, I assure he would do it.

If taking on salary wasnt an issue, any GM in the big leagues would trade Bill Hall to get Alfonso Soriano straight up.  Even Doug Melvin.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1804 on: July 08, 2009, 12:26:21 PM »
If taking on salary wasnt an issue, any GM in the big leagues would trade Bill Hall to get Alfonso Soriano straight up.  Even Doug Melvin.

Of course he would, but that was the point. The same thing that makes Alfonso Soriano (and Vernon Wells) untradeable, is what makes Bill Hall untradeable...Stupid contracts that never should have been given. Those guys have very negative trade value.

Not sure how closely you follow baseball, but salary is an issue which is why he would trade Bill Hall for just about anybody but those guys.

If you want to bolster your pitching staff, call Toronto and ask for Roy Hallady in exchange for taking on Vernon Wells contract. I assure you they would listen, and it likely wouldn't cost you much more than that. Of course your payroll will be completely hamstrung with an OFer that can't hit for the next 5 years, but what the heck.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:27:56 PM by NavinRJohnson »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1805 on: July 08, 2009, 12:38:38 PM »
lets be honest here.

Escobar is one of THE top prospects in the minors... he is going to be a good player.  write it down, stamp it, mail it in. 

Gamel will be a pretty good slugger.  Watch him at the plate, he has the poise of a guy who has been in the league for years.

As for the Brewers pitching, we have Gallardo.  thats is.  To say we have starting pitching behind him is at best wishful thinking.

Did you see this article on the best Brewers pitching prospects?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/49209902.html

They are almost all at the Class A level at this point.  A couple in AA that could be here by 2010.  In my opinion, the Brewers almost have to trade to get some pitching if they expect to be competitive at all in the next couple of years.  At this point, I would even consider throwing some money at Pedro Martinez, who apparently wants more than a one year deal. 

Standing still is a pretty bleak option at this point.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1806 on: July 08, 2009, 12:45:31 PM »

They are almost all at the Class A level at this point.  A couple in AA that could be here by 2010.  In my opinion, the Brewers almost have to trade to get some pitching if they expect to be competitive at all in the next couple of years.  At this point, I would even consider throwing some money at Pedro Martinez, who apparently wants more than a one year deal. 

I bet you one or two of those prospects even get a sniff at the starting rotation come 2010-whenever.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1807 on: July 08, 2009, 12:53:39 PM »

I know, its great and all have good hitters, and Scott Z gets props for that, but he gets a big F for not drafting any pitching prospects.

and pitching wins... it doesn't put butts in the seats like home runs do, but it WINS.

LON

• All American
« Reply #1808 on: July 08, 2009, 01:08:40 PM »
I know, its great and all have good hitters, and Scott Z gets props for that, but he gets a big F for not drafting any pitching prospects.

and pitching wins... it doesn't put butts in the seats like home runs do, but it WINS.

As a Brewer fan to all Brewer fans:

Why mortgage the future (Salome/Gamel/Escobar combo trade, what have you) for a deal like CC last year (that will NOT happen again this year) for a shot at a first round exit in the playoffs?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1809 on: July 08, 2009, 01:09:42 PM »
We should bring back Sheets and Gagne.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1810 on: July 08, 2009, 01:19:32 PM »

Why mortgage the future (Salome/Gamel/Escobar combo trade, what have you) for a deal like CC last year (that will NOT happen again this year) for a shot at a first round exit in the playoffs?

That is EXACTLY why Melvin will not trade Escobar or Gamel.  I think he was less reluctant last year to deal LaPorta only because LaPorta is one of those all-or-nothing swingers that we already have too many of.  If we see a deal this year, I expect to see us trading someone like Hardy or Hart rather than one or two of our top prospects.  We need to get to the point where we have 3 top starters (not 1) if we're gonna go all the way.  That's not gonna happen this year.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1811 on: July 08, 2009, 01:31:46 PM »
I'm surprised there are no Brewer fans here cheering Ryan Dempster's broken toe.  You guys were all giddy about Aramis.

I think Deadspin did a good enough job.

http://deadspin.com/5310189/young-cubs-fan-mocks-ryan-dempsters-pain

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1812 on: July 08, 2009, 01:34:35 PM »
I think Deadspin did a good enough job.

http://deadspin.com/5310189/young-cubs-fan-mocks-ryan-dempsters-pain

lol... wow:

"The subtle interplay of comedy and tragedy is what defines the Cub Nation's futile existence as they seek to find humor in their plight, lest the reality of their struggle reduce them to bitter tears."

owned

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1813 on: July 08, 2009, 01:37:23 PM »

the problem is that there is only a small window where we can afford the players we have signed on our roster.  Prince will be getting a huge contract from someone in a few years, and guys like Hardy and Hart will probably go looking for more money than they are currently getting.  We aren't the Cubs, Yankees or Sawks, so we are stuck developing talent and have to hope to make a run every 5 years or so when we have a lot of the pieces of the puzzle.  If you are looking for an example of a club that Milwaukee should aspire to be, it is the Minnesota Twins.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1814 on: July 08, 2009, 02:03:59 PM »

Baseball is about getting in to the playoffs.  Plenty of wildcard teams have gotten hot near the end of the year and used the momentum to get all the way to the WS.  The Rockies are a good example.

If LaPorta turns out to be an all star, I will still say the CC trade was worthwhile.  Getting into the playoffs was important for an organization that had never been there, and with Sheets on the last year of his contract, they had to make the move.  Yes, they didn't win once they got there, but they at least made a run for it.

The problem is that they just don't have the talent within the organization to make it work.  They either have to trade or sign a FA next year.

LON

• All American
« Reply #1815 on: July 08, 2009, 02:19:13 PM »

Baseball is about getting in to the playoffs.  Plenty of wildcard teams have gotten hot near the end of the year and used the momentum to get all the way to the WS.  The Rockies are a good example.

If LaPorta turns out to be an all star, I will still say the CC trade was worthwhile.  Getting into the playoffs was important for an organization that had never been there, and with Sheets on the last year of his contract, they had to make the move.  Yes, they didn't win once they got there, but they at least made a run for it.

The problem is that they just don't have the talent within the organization to make it work.  They either have to trade or sign a FA next year.

So you don't think Crean's boy will be the future ace of the Brewers???

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1816 on: July 08, 2009, 03:38:28 PM »
Yeah, he probably will...but by that time Gallardo could very well be gone.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1817 on: July 09, 2009, 12:08:34 PM »
I'm actually cheering for the Brewers in this series with St. Louis.  I fear the Cards more than the Brew Crew.

Please destroy their bullpen for their upcoming series with the Cubs this weekend.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1818 on: July 09, 2009, 02:54:20 PM »
I'm actually cheering for the Brewers in this series with St. Louis.  I fear the Cards more than the Brew Crew.

Please destroy their bullpen for their upcoming series with the Cubs this weekend.
I'm really happy to hear that
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1819 on: July 09, 2009, 04:36:06 PM »
Well, although we couldn't help Cub fans out today, at least Manny Parra looked like a major league pitcher today!

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #1820 on: July 09, 2009, 04:40:13 PM »
What the brewers don't/shouldn't do is throw away soon to be big leaguers on a player that could get us into the playoffs. Don't think I'm jumping off the band wagon here, I consider myself more of a realist, but I think the odds of making the playoffs are pretty low, but making a move now could hurt us more in the long run. I think we stay competitve this year and then look to next. I think trading Prince this off season is a worthwhile deal. For a team to get a DH/1st baseman like him could be enough to put them over the top and in turn the brewers could savage the AAA pitching of that team. JJ is going to move to third and that way escobar can play SS and Gamel to 1st. McGehee (or bill hall?) would be viable utility player. I am ok with the brewers trying to trade Hardy or Hart however.

Lets not forget that the brewers have more than Escobar and Solome in their AAA program that could move up or be used to trade with the above mentioned. and we have an amazing pitcher in Jeremy Jeffress if he would stop hanging out with Mo Acker. Brett Lawrie suppliment the infield at 2b, same goes for Taylor Green. (hypothetically we could get rid of JJ and Price with those two) Jonathon Lucroy can catch. Lorenzo Cain could play Center but if we need him sooner Corey Hart could leave and we may improve on that position, though a lot of this depends on when these players are ready. and when cameron leaves Cole Gillespie can play OF too There are more guys down in the lower minors that it's too early to say but could come up within 2 years like Cutter Dykstra, Cody Scarpetta, Zach Braddock.

The brewers have a pretty stacked AA team and on down, so the players  we have now (hart, hardy prince)could easily be traded for ready to go AAA pitchers and we'd still have a great lineup.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1821 on: July 09, 2009, 07:40:31 PM »
Hahahaha you Brewer fans are hilarious.

Aside from Gamel and Escobar sounds like a big pile of bad to me.  They will fit well with Suppan, Bush, and Looper.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1822 on: July 09, 2009, 08:37:27 PM »
Hahahaha you Brewer fans are hilarious.

Aside from Gamel and Escobar sounds like a big pile of bad to me.  They will fit well with Suppan, Bush, and Looper.
You know what is the funniest part of it all?  The Brewers, despite such TERRIBLE pitching, right TT? are ahead of the Cubs!  HAHA!  Imagine that!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #1823 on: July 09, 2009, 10:03:33 PM »
You know what is the funniest part of it all?  The Brewers, despite such TERRIBLE pitching, right TT? are ahead of the Cubs!  HAHA!  Imagine that!

Yeah, but... err... Aramis was hurt!!! And, and... there's all these guys hitting well below their career averages! Oh, and then there's Kevin Gregg...

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #1824 on: July 09, 2009, 10:30:01 PM »
Brew City and reinko,

What is meant is that you cannot compare a minor leaguer to a major leaguer. To say that a minor leaguer is already better than Bill Hall or JJ Hardy could not be more of an incorrect statement. To say that a minor leaguer has a higher ceiling (meaning his best game will be better than anothers) before he has even stepped in the MLB diamond is just stupid. Baseball unlike any other sport is more of a crapshot regarding prospects than any other sport.

Sure, Melvin has had a decent recent streak of success, so have another general managers. Those same GMs have been wrong, as Melvin has also been wrong, if he was the best GM to ever scout players do you think he'd be in Arlington for all those years? Or even be interested in the Brewers if he was the best talent scout ever? Let's get real here.

Take a look at the lists of top prospects from the last 10 years, you'll see plenty of names that never panned out. Just like Escobar and Gamel might not pan out. Just like the NEXT BIG BREWER BOPPER that everyone wanted to trade Prince away for because he was so good, Matt LaPorta.

So you don't think Jake Fox has a higher "ceiling" than anyone else on the Cubs' big-league roster?