collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461288 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #1750 on: July 06, 2009, 03:53:52 PM »
Really?  The Cubs were better than the Brewers for a 4 game series?  Dang, we might as well stop playing our season.  I didn't know the 1/2 season we've played and been 1 game up on the Cubs meant nothing, but just the 4 game series that we played at Wrigley this weekend.  The Cubs are definitely better though, now that I know the criteria.

And wow, congratulations.  You have 20/20 hindsight vision.  So when the 2006 Cardinals were 49-59 you were predicting a World Series for them?  Wow PTM, you're GOOD!  I should listen to you all the time!  Are you a betting man?!  Maybe if you predicted the Cubs would win a World Series, they would!

Maybe you should just own up the fact that your baseball sense is little if not none. It's baseball, GOOD teams go through rough patches throughout the 162 game season. Maybe you should open up your eyes, stop trying to tell us how much the Cubs suck, so you can make yourself think that the Brewers have a better team.

After the 2006 Cardinals went 49-59, and if I were a fan of the Cardinals, I wouldn't have counted them out. No team should be counted out until the All-Star Break, it's a long season buddy.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #1751 on: July 06, 2009, 03:55:11 PM »
I'm confused... is it possible to say then also the Brewers are having their "bad 2 month" span right now just like the Cubs?

No?, yes?, no?

Last year Ryan Braun called out the team after being absolutely annihilated by the Red Sox, worked last year, hopefully the same response will happen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #1752 on: July 06, 2009, 03:57:33 PM »
Maybe you should just own up the fact that your baseball sense is little if not none. It's baseball, GOOD teams go through rough patches throughout the 162 game season. Maybe you should open up your eyes, stop trying to tell us how much the Cubs suck, so you can make yourself think that the Brewers have a better team.

After the 2006 Cardinals went 49-59, and if I were a fan of the Cardinals, I wouldn't have counted them out. No team should be counted out until the All-Star Break, it's a long season buddy.

Unless they are the Washington Nationals, I counted them out after the first 2 weeks.

I agree, Wade gets a bit annoying after awhile.  But I am still going to go with the opinion that this is a three team race... possibly four (with the Reds)... to make the claim that the Cubs have the best chance to win (like you did about 20 posts ago), and then back it up with the broad claims that I called you out on (and you made no response to that and moved on...roasted?) was bad on your part.

Hopefully this will make a fun August and September, that "forces" me to go to Miller Park often.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1753 on: July 06, 2009, 03:58:33 PM »
Why would the crew have a problem?  We can go under .500 for a full half season and not have a problem  ::)

It's a problem because I can talk about the Cubs playing .500 ball in the past because they are only 2.5 games back. If the Brewers play .500 ball from here on out, do you think they are only 2.5 games behind before entering the last week of the season?

I'm confused... is it possible to say then also the Brewers are having their "bad 2 month" span right now just like the Cubs?

No?, yes?, no?

Last year Ryan Braun called out the team after being absolutely annihilated by the Red Sox, worked last year, hopefully the same response will happen.

You can definitely say that. It's the following thought of, "Will this team be better than this 2-month stretch for the rest of the season?" or "What caused this two-month period of suck?"

With the Cubs, I can point to Aramis being out and other little injuries. Hell, everyone knows that the Cubs suck at Wrigley until it warms up anyway.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1754 on: July 06, 2009, 04:01:21 PM »
As a Brewer fan, this is how I see it.  The Cubs are two games out despite having very little production from either corner outfielder or catcher and having their fourth hitter injured.  

The chances of getting more production out of those positions is a lot greater than the Brewers turning around their starting pitching.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #1755 on: July 06, 2009, 04:02:14 PM »

No?, yes?, no?

It worked? Did they win the division?

What worked was the acquistion of the guy who carried Milwaukee to the wild card. The Brewers are doomed to fail this year because their pitching staff sucks. That's why the Cubs are a better team. I don't understand how you don't understand that. It's why the Cubs are better than the Cardinals, Brewers, Reds and the rest of the division and why they are picked by everybody to win it.

I understand some Milwaukee fans don't like the Cubs, but claiming they "suck" is just ignorant unless you're ready to say the Brewers are even worse.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1756 on: July 06, 2009, 04:02:26 PM »
Unless they are the Washington Nationals, I counted them out after the first 2 weeks.

I agree, Wade gets a bit annoying after awhile.  But I am still going to go with the opinion that this is a three team race... possibly four (with the Reds)... to make the claim that the Cubs have the best chance to win (like you did about 20 posts ago), and then back it up with the broad claims that I called you out on (and you made no response to that and moved on...roasted?) was bad on your part.

Hopefully this will make a fun August and September, that "forces" me to go to Miller Park often.

Nationals. FACT.

I also think it's going to be a three-team race. I think the Cubs are looking pretty good to be the winner of that three team race because they played .500 baseball without their best hitter, with a myriad of bullpen problems,through several other injuries, and through crappy play from Soriano and Bradley.

With Aramis back and signs of bullpen stabilization the Cubs are going to be right in the mix. If Bradley and Soriano start playing to their career averages, then the Cubs will run away with the division as predicted.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1757 on: July 06, 2009, 04:03:18 PM »
As a Brewer fan, this is how I see it.  The Cubs are two games out despite having very little production from either corner outfielder or catcher and having their fourth hitter injured.  

The chances of getting more production out of those positions is a lot greater than the Brewers turning around their starting pitching.

Nicely put.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • āœ… Verified Member
« Reply #1758 on: July 06, 2009, 04:05:16 PM »
If the Brewers play .500 ball from here on out, do you think they are only 2.5 games behind before entering the last week of the season?

With how inconsistent and injury prone our division has been (Cubs, Cards and the Crew), I don't think that it's outrageous to believe that the 2nd half of the season may be just as bad as the 1st half.  .500 may not keep the crew 2.5 back, but right now I'd be surprised if any team kicked in their after-burners and ran away with the division.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1759 on: July 06, 2009, 04:26:01 PM »
PTM I'll admit right now that the Brewers are a bad team.  Like I said to my friend from Chicago, the whole division is garbage, there's just going to be 1 team that is the best garbage and wins the division.

I did not know the Cubs were the only team in baseball (or at least just the division) that have gone through injuries.  I forgot that Rickie Weeks was just being benched for a while.  And Dave Bush just went on the DL for a breather.

I also forgot that Corey Hart is a career .249 hitter, JJ Hardy a career .229 hitter, Bill Hall a career .198 hitter, Mike Cameron a .248 hitter, and Jason Kendall a career .232 hitter.  Not to go into the other offensive numbers because that might complicate things too much for you Cubs fans.  One thing that I DO understand that Cubs fans don't seem to is that the last 2 players on this list are getting older, and people can't keep their production up for forever, so they probably won't raise their numbers as much.  How are these stats rob?

I completely forgot that only the Cubs have injuries and players playing "well below their career averages," and that things will only even out for them.  Ooops
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1760 on: July 06, 2009, 04:30:14 PM »
You guys have mentioned how inconsistent some of the Brewer hitters are, especially Hardy, Hart, Hall and Cameron.  Well, another word for inconsistent is streaky.  Since they are all far below their career averages for the first half, might we expect them all to get hot in the second half?  If they do, and if the Brewers can add a good starter, and either Bush or Parra can come back to contribute like last year, then the Brewers will be right in it.  
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1761 on: July 06, 2009, 04:39:14 PM »
Parra is like Rich Hill...a left that started to have mental problems...don't think parra will all of a sudden be a saving grace!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1762 on: July 06, 2009, 04:42:32 PM »
PTM I'll admit right now that the Brewers are a bad team.  Like I said to my friend from Chicago, the whole division is garbage, there's just going to be 1 team that is the best garbage and wins the division.

I did not know the Cubs were the only team in baseball (or at least just the division) that have gone through injuries.  I forgot that Rickie Weeks was just being benched for a while.  And Dave Bush just went on the DL for a breather.

I also forgot that Corey Hart is a career .249 hitter, JJ Hardy a career .229 hitter, Bill Hall a career .198 hitter, Mike Cameron a .248 hitter, and Jason Kendall a career .232 hitter.  Not to go into the other offensive numbers because that might complicate things too much for you Cubs fans.  One thing that I DO understand that Cubs fans don't seem to is that the last 2 players on this list are getting older, and people can't keep their production up for forever, so they probably won't raise their numbers as much.  How are these stats rob?

I completely forgot that only the Cubs have injuries and players playing "well below their career averages," and that things will only even out for them.  Ooops

I'm glad to see you can admit that. I, however, won't admit the Cubs are a bad team.

Hart, Hardy, Hall & Cameron are all career .250 hitters +/- .010. Kendall is better, but at the end of his career. Do you think that having Hart, Hardy Hall & Cameron all hit .010-.030 higher is going to be a saving grace?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1763 on: July 06, 2009, 04:51:29 PM »
Bill Hall was a career .258 hitter through 2008.  He needs to add 60 points to his current .198 to get there.  Would that help, along with adding 10-20 points to all the other guys?  Hell, yes.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1764 on: July 06, 2009, 04:56:53 PM »
I'm glad to see you can admit that. I, however, won't admit the Cubs are a bad team.
Then how are the Brewers bad if they lose 2 out of 3 to the Cardinals?  Even if the Cubs won all 3 games in that time, they're then 1 game up on the Brewers.  So the difference between a good team and a bad team is 1 game?  That's a pretty small difference if you ask me.
Hart, Hardy, Hall & Cameron are all career .250 hitters +/- .010. Kendall is better, but at the end of his career. Do you think that having Hart, Hardy Hall & Cameron all hit .010-.030 higher is going to be a saving grace?
Hart is a .272 career hitter.  JJ Hardy is a career .264 hitter.  Cameron .250 so you're right about that one.  Kendall a career .291 hitter.  Hall a career .253 hitter.  That's a bit more than +/- .010 for all but 1 of them.  And I don't think it will turn us from a bad team to a great team, but I think it'll be enough to stay right in the division race.

What do you expect from your Cubs playing "well below their career averages," a .060 or more jump?  Well, good luck with that I guess.  Like I said, I think it's ridiculous how only the Cubs are going to turn things around for their struggling players, but no other teams in the division will.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1765 on: July 06, 2009, 05:22:29 PM »

hi, hitting isn't the problem in Milwaukee.

thanks.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #1766 on: July 06, 2009, 09:32:52 PM »
hi, hitting isn't the problem in Milwaukee.

thanks.

It isn't good... look at the Cubs series... besides the game they won... all under 2 runs a game, that doesn't win ballgames.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1767 on: July 06, 2009, 10:39:07 PM »
Then how are the Brewers bad if they lose 2 out of 3 to the Cardinals?  Even if the Cubs won all 3 games in that time, they're then 1 game up on the Brewers.  

Hi wade,

You were answering my question...which you still haven't answered.

Your telling me that you aren't worried if you lose 6 of 7 to teams that are near the top of the division.

I bet you wish Ryan Braun shared your optimism.  To quote slick Rick "Sabathia is not walking through those doors!"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1768 on: July 07, 2009, 08:11:59 AM »
It isn't good... look at the Cubs series... besides the game they won... all under 2 runs a game, that doesn't win ballgames.

no.  this is stupid.  those are 3 games from all year.

the Brewers have 380 runs scored against them.  THIS IS THE MOST IN THE CENTRAL.
the Brewers have 387 runs scored FOR them.  THIS IS THE MOST IN THE CENTRAL

the Cubs have 330 runs scored against them.  THIS IS THE LEAST IN THE CENTRAL.
the Cubs have 336 runs scored FOR them.  THIS IS MIDDLE OF THE CENTRAL.

maybe bold will make this more clear.  HITTING ISN'T THE PROBLEM, PITCHING IS.

If the pitchers had given up less runs they would be crushing the division at this point.... be real.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #1769 on: July 07, 2009, 11:26:55 AM »

What do you expect from your Cubs playing "well below their career averages," a .060 or more jump?  Well, good luck with that I guess.  Like I said, I think it's ridiculous how only the Cubs are going to turn things around for their struggling players, but no other teams in the division will.

I think the though here is that if everyone does turn it around brewers hitters, cubs hitters, etc and revert back to a statistical norm the cubs hitters ceilings are much higher than the brewers players ceilings you mentioned.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1770 on: July 07, 2009, 12:08:43 PM »
Since some of you Brewer fans don't understand anything, I'll simplfy it.

Brewers Pitching:  Bad
Brewers Offense:  Good

Cubs Pitching:  Good
Cubs Offense:  Bad

Yes the Brewers struggled to score runs in the 3 losses to the Cubs but that's because they faced great pitching.

Even if the Brewers make a trade for a starter, that still leaves three bad starters for you guys.

The Cubs had two guys come back last night which COULD jump start the offense.  In the last few weeks the offense has been heating up with the weather which is also a good sign.

I'll take the Cubs problems over the Brewers problems.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1771 on: July 07, 2009, 12:21:08 PM »
Even if the Brewers make a trade for a starter, that still leaves three bad starters for you guys.

Gallardo, Looper, Suppan, Bush, Newguy.

Which three are bad?

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1772 on: July 07, 2009, 12:27:33 PM »
Name a newguy that you have heard that is on the market during the trade deadline.

I would take someone like lohse or Randy Wells over Looper or Bush.  And Suppan, he just isn't that good

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1773 on: July 07, 2009, 12:30:30 PM »
On paper, without giving it much thought, it is easy to say.  The Brewers hit the ball, and their pitching sucks.  But look deeper, and it is not that simple TT and Hards.

Brewers have 39 losses this season,

~15 I would consider "blowout losses", 4 runs or more.
~18 of the losses were by 2 runs or less, and of those 18 a stunning 12 losses by 1 run.  
~Remaining 6 losses were by 3 runs.

Obvioulsy not a true science, but the brew crew is 12-12 in 1 run games.  That's not gotta cut it, yeah we can hit the ball a lot, but the timely hitting is where we need to vastly improve.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #1774 on: July 07, 2009, 01:24:35 PM »

Obvioulsy not a true science, but the brew crew is 12-12 in 1 run games.  That's not gotta cut it, yeah we can hit the ball a lot, but the timely hitting is where we need to vastly improve.

+1