collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461422 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #1350 on: May 11, 2009, 12:55:30 PM »
1.) I haven't posted anything.
2.) Everything TT has posted has contributed to the pissing match in a humorous fashion. It's a pissing match that you have routinely taken personal and get far too angered with, relax.
3.) Losing 2 of 3 to the Brewers doesn't have me worried. Losing Aramis doesn't have me worried. Were talking about baseball. Things look fine until you have these problems in August. I would be worried if my team was greatly overachieving, but you have to enjoy it.
You're right, I meant TT, I apologize.  Yes, I understand that those things were meant to be funny, and I definitely wasn't taking them seriously or personally, but I think it's really funny that we were arguing about baseball and all of a sudden he switches to that stuff, which have nothing to do with baseball.

As far as not being worried, then more power to you.  Quiet honestly the "lineup of good players" that TT refers to looks more like a "lineup of old players" to me.  To go player by player (I'm just going to go with all healthy players as well):

Soto - definitely not old, but definitely doesn't seem like the Rookie of the Year from last year either.  Looks like Hill may be a better option at C.
Lee - pretty clearly not the Lee of old.  Hoffpauir is definitely the better option at 1B right now.
Fontenot - Very scrappy player, very good defensively, always hate playing your middle of the infield.  But can't really carry an offense.  Will get on base.  Solid but not spectacular
Theriot - Basically the same thing that was said for Fontenot
Ramirez - Still a good ballplayer, especially offensively.  But again, he's not getting any younger any time soon
Soriano - Very good offensively, swings at too many 59 foot pitches though, but definitely not a bad player to have despite bad defense.  He's got to be getting up there in years too (not sure how old he is and too lazy to look)
Fukudome - Solid player but pretty old for your typical 2nd year player
Bradley - Clearly not as good as he was last year and is getting old as well
Your starting pitchers are very good.  Your bullpen, other than Marmol, really isn't that good.

I'm not saying they are out of it by any means, but I think some of your big name players are nowhere near what they used to be, and you are currently having some injury problems.  To me, with how Lee, Bradley, and Soto have struggled so far, this lineup is nowhere near as scary as I originally thought it would be.  Obviously players go through slumps and they could very well turn it around, but I have seen nothing to this point to suggest that they will.  Long season, not counting them out, but also not ready to claim them as having a "lineup of good players."
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1351 on: May 11, 2009, 12:59:31 PM »
the cubs success or lack thereof this year will hinge on how deep their starting pitchers can go in games.  If they can go deep then the cubs probably have the best shot at winning the Central.

If they start stringing together a few runs of bad starts they could easily find themselves on the outside looking in come playoff time.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1352 on: May 11, 2009, 01:26:43 PM »
Hards pretty much hit it dead on. I don't think we are done bullpen wise, I think we may shopping around for help.

As for the lineup, it's aging. I think Derrek might be healthy, but Micah has been hot lately, so they are playing that game.

Soto and Bradley have been off to real slow starts. Soto most likely due to the WBC, but it's time to turn it around. There are a lot of big name players slumping right now, Upton, Berkman, Texieria...

Theriot and Fontenot are what they are and I'm happy with the combo. They both be at or over .300 on the season. Fontenot has suprising strength and Theriot might be finding a stroke. With these two guys we can be pretty cheap in the middle infield.

The lineup is getting old, but the nice part about having a large payroll is restocking and moving on.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1353 on: May 11, 2009, 01:37:27 PM »
I would figure the simple fact that the Cubs allowed Counsell's 1 HR of the year would be enough to put them in hiding for a week.  Guess not.

To take a page from Shaq, hey Cub fans, how does Braun's ass taste?

Hilarious.  Since Brewers fans felt brave enough to stick around after Koyie Hill's monster HR in the first series, why shouldn't Cubs fans be here after Counsell's mammoth shot heard around the world on Saturday?

I don't plan on sampling Braun's ass, but I imagine it would have much less flavor than the Soriano ass you enjoyed after the first series.

Congrats to Milwaukee for playing .500 at home against the Cubs so far this year....live it up....these are good times!!!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1354 on: May 11, 2009, 01:55:30 PM »
you really want to compare road records?

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1355 on: May 11, 2009, 02:09:02 PM »
Is that what I was doing?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1356 on: May 11, 2009, 02:16:10 PM »
nope, but I'd rather have a better road record at this point in the year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1357 on: May 11, 2009, 02:22:01 PM »
...and overall record.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1358 on: May 11, 2009, 02:26:18 PM »

Fantastic then....absolutely right....you guys should be peacocking around today knowing you're a half game ahead of the Cubs on May 11...with a 9-7 road record vs. 9-8.  Hilarious.  How I envy your position.

Sometimes it's the little things in life....I get it.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #1359 on: May 11, 2009, 03:22:26 PM »
Hilarious.  Since Brewers fans felt brave enough to stick around after Koyie Hill's monster HR in the first series, why shouldn't Cubs fans be here after Counsell's mammoth shot heard around the world on Saturday?

I don't plan on sampling Braun's ass, but I imagine it would have much less flavor than the Soriano ass you enjoyed after the first series.

Congrats to Milwaukee for playing .500 at home against the Cubs so far this year....live it up....these are good times!!!

If you note, I wasn't on here after that series... I understood the problems the Brewers had at the start of the year, and didn't have much to say.

I love how as Cubs fans you downplay losing series like its no big deal, make fun of Brewer fans for rubbing it in your nose, but when the Cubs win a series, or make a push for the top spot in the NL Central (although we might as well understand that the Cardinals will be there all year)... however when the Cubs win a series against the Brewers, open the flood gates, give Soriano the MVP, give Zambrano the Cy Young, Captain Lou for Coach of the Year (how did that work for him last year?)... however when the Brewers win the series... who cares?  Life is all good in Wrigleyville.  102 Years?
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1360 on: May 11, 2009, 05:21:53 PM »

TT...do you acknowledge that Ryan Braun has limited experience in LF and that he is only barely into his 2nd season playing the position?  The only frame of refrence that you have to call him a bad fielder, is his 1st season ever playing that position...not a good way to judge a player on his abilities.

Will you guys give it up!  Yes Braun has limited experience in left field!  That's why he's not a good left fielder.  So stop defending his defense.

Hell I'll call him the greatest hitter in the history of baseball if it helps.  It still doesn't change the fact his defense sucks.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1361 on: May 11, 2009, 05:24:42 PM »
I would figure the simple fact that the Cubs allowed Counsell's 1 HR of the year would be enough to put them in hiding for a week.  Guess not.

To take a page from Shaq, hey Cub fans, how does Braun's ass taste?

Hahahaha.  I love the Shaq Kobe rap.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1362 on: May 11, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
Also I think Bob Brenly said it best:

Braun had some issues with some rib muscles early in the season; he may have some issues with his rib muscles as this season progresses if he acts like that on every home run he hits.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #1363 on: May 11, 2009, 07:56:20 PM »
The vast majority of homers he's hit this year he hasn't show-boated down to first. In fact, against the Pirates earlier this year, he put his head down and ran to first only to get plunked in the shoulder his next at bat.  He isn't hit as much as he is because he drops the bat and gazes while strutting around the bases, he's hit because he's one of the best hitters in the game and also stands right over the inside corner.  He may complain a little much after he is hit but some of those times he's hit in the shoulder or near the head and while getting beaned is part of the game, there's no reason to throw at or near someone's head

wadesworld

• All American
Re: The Official Brewers & Scrubs Pissing Match
« Reply #1364 on: May 11, 2009, 09:10:40 PM »
Also I think Bob Brenly said it best:
Really classy stuff by your commentators there.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 09:33:25 PM by wadesworld »

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #1365 on: May 11, 2009, 10:14:30 PM »

Solution: Don't let Braun hit as many home runs.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #1366 on: May 11, 2009, 11:14:51 PM »
I love the fact Brewers fans brag about having the 2nd best player in the NL Central.  I want the 2nd Best Player In The NL Central Award to become an annual award.  

Previous 2nd Best Players In NL Central
1996: Jeff Bagwell (Under Brian Jordan)
1997: Craig Biggio (Under Bagwell)
1998: Mark McGuire (Under MVP Sosa)
1999: Greg Vaughn (Under Bagwell)
2000: Sammy Sosa (Under Edmonds)
2001: Albert Pujols (Under Sosa)
2002: Sammy Sosa (Under Pujols)
2003: Mark Prior (Under Pujols)
2004: Scott Rolen (Under Pujols)
2005: Derrek Lee (Under Pujols)
2006: Lance Berman (Under Pujols)
2007: Albert Pujols (Under Fielder)
2008: Ryan Braun (Under Pujols)

New banner for Miller Park?

I know I'm a bit late on this one but that was gold.  I'm offended, but the banners are utterly hysterical!  :)

As to the pissing of the pants for Brewer fans, have you ever been in the bleachers at Wrigley?  No signed seating, piss in empty beer cups...seen a chubby cubby drink his own urine on accident.

"Smelly Onion"  should be "Smells like someone drinking own urine"
Marquette University, Spring '08

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1367 on: May 12, 2009, 12:06:05 AM »

Guarantee you when Braun pulls that crap against the Cards, LaRussa goes for the head.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1368 on: May 12, 2009, 12:27:13 AM »
Guarantee you when Braun pulls that crap against the Cards, LaRussa goes for the head.
He didn't when Braun beat them twice in the same series at Bush Stadium last year.  In fact Braun watched his home run much worse than he did against the Cubs and they still didn't throw at him.  And their commentators didn't say that he deserved to be hit.  Weird.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1369 on: May 12, 2009, 07:53:43 AM »
If teams keep plunking Braun expect retalliation.

Pujols would probably get one in the middle of his back if LaRussa has his pitchers throw at Braun.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1370 on: May 12, 2009, 08:18:36 AM »
If teams keep plunking Braun expect retalliation.

Pujols would probably get one in the middle of his back if LaRussa has his pitchers throw at Braun.

I don't expect retaliation. We're talking about a guy who hangs his head in the strike zone. Just because he's Jewish and has his own line of Afflicition rip-off shirts, doesn't mean he can try to squeeze the zone. The pitch either hit his bat or was within mere millimeters of the bat, Dempster threw a pitch that hit his bat. Add to the fact that Dempster has no prior history of throwing at batters, it's a mute point. Act like a man, Braun, and you may earn respect from the league.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1371 on: May 12, 2009, 08:32:34 AM »
I don't expect retaliation. We're talking about a guy who hangs his head in the strike zone. Just because he's Jewish and has his own line of Afflicition rip-off shirts, doesn't mean he can try to squeeze the zone. The pitch either hit his bat or was within mere millimeters of the bat, Dempster threw a pitch that hit his bat. Add to the fact that Dempster has no prior history of throwing at batters, it's a mute point. Act like a man, Braun, and you may earn respect from the league.

a bit off-color, don't you think?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1372 on: May 12, 2009, 08:39:46 AM »
a bit off-color, don't you think?

No?

LON

• All American
« Reply #1373 on: May 12, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »
Braun is as Jewish as I am.  It's in his ancestry but he was raised in NO faith.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1374 on: May 12, 2009, 08:45:37 AM »

WTF is a MUTE point? You can't talk or something? Or did you mean moot point?
But I like to throw handfuls...