[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461466 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: The Official Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #1325 on: May 11, 2009, 01:49:14 AM »
I'm pretty sure I've seen plenty of Scrubs fans poking fun at Sheets and his injury problems.

Yeah and I've never heard a Brewer fan mention Wood or Prior.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1326 on: May 11, 2009, 01:52:15 AM »
Also your beloved Miller mocks you guys at Wrigley Field:

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1327 on: May 11, 2009, 01:55:34 AM »
And for you Wrigley Field haters: at least we don't have 20 minute delays because our brand new stadium doesn't work again.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #1328 on: May 11, 2009, 01:58:55 AM »
I love the fact Brewers fans brag about having the 2nd best player in the NL Central.  I want the 2nd Best Player In The NL Central Award to become an annual award.  

Previous 2nd Best Players In NL Central
1996: Jeff Bagwell (Under Brian Jordan)
1997: Craig Biggio (Under Bagwell)
1998: Mark McGuire (Under MVP Sosa)
1999: Greg Vaughn (Under Bagwell)
2000: Sammy Sosa (Under Edmonds)
2001: Albert Pujols (Under Sosa)
2002: Sammy Sosa (Under Pujols)
2003: Mark Prior (Under Pujols)
2004: Scott Rolen (Under Pujols)
2005: Derrek Lee (Under Pujols)
2006: Lance Berman (Under Pujols)
2007: Albert Pujols (Under Fielder)
2008: Ryan Braun (Under Pujols)

New banner for Miller Park?

That's cute.  Perhaps instead of "2nd best player in the NL Central", it can more eloquently be put as "better than anyone on your whole roster."  Does that change the perception of it at all?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1329 on: May 11, 2009, 02:08:04 AM »
That's cute.  Perhaps instead of "2nd best player in the NL Central", it can more eloquently be put as "better than anyone on your whole roster."  Does that change the perception of it at all?

Well if it makes you feel better.  I mean personally I'd rather have a team of many very good players like the Cubs and win the division.  That's just me though.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1330 on: May 11, 2009, 02:14:51 AM »
Also have you ever driven north on Miller Park Way (41).  Miller Park looks like crap.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1331 on: May 11, 2009, 02:19:05 AM »
You Brewer fans are a disgusting bunch.  Maybe this is why Milwaukee smells.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dhdT8gEaFP0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dhdT8gEaFP0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OizgoLJebGs&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/OizgoLJebGs&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/flOCkakCr6k&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/flOCkakCr6k&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #1332 on: May 11, 2009, 07:08:36 AM »

A lack of loyalty in advertising? Oh, the horror!

This is about as relevant as bringing up Bartman.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #1333 on: May 11, 2009, 08:14:54 AM »

And I still can't believe people are bringing up Braun's defense.

TT...do you acknowledge that Ryan Braun has limited experience in LF and that he is only barely into his 2nd season playing the position?  The only frame of refrence that you have to call him a bad fielder, is his 1st season ever playing that position...not a good way to judge a player on his abilities.

His whole career, prior to last season, he has been at SS/3B.

I have noticed the same things you have...misjudging flyballs, ill advised dives, etc...but I would have to say, considering the fact that he switched from his natural position, and has had to learn LF on the fly...hes doing a pretty solid job.

Now, there is always a chance he struggles to develop (like Soriano), look like an ass out in LF (like Soriano), make fielding mistakes that cost his team games (like Soriano), but I doubt it...

LON

• All American
« Reply #1334 on: May 11, 2009, 08:44:53 AM »

TT...do you acknowledge that Ryan Braun has limited experience in LF and that he is only barely into his 2nd season playing the position?  The only frame of refrence that you have to call him a bad fielder, is his 1st season ever playing that position...not a good way to judge a player on his abilities.

His whole career, prior to last season, he has been at SS/3B.

I have noticed the same things you have...misjudging flyballs, ill advised dives, etc...but I would have to say, considering the fact that he switched from his natural position, and has had to learn LF on the fly...hes doing a pretty solid job.

Now, there is always a chance he struggles to develop (like Soriano), look like an ass out in LF (like Soriano), make fielding mistakes that cost his team games (like Soriano), but I doubt it...

At least he doesn't blatantly take plays off (like Soriano)...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1335 on: May 11, 2009, 09:40:09 AM »
Also have you ever driven north on Miller Park Way (41).  Miller Park looks like crap.

As opposed to the netting that keeps Wrigley field from killing its patrons?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1336 on: May 11, 2009, 10:24:51 AM »
This is actually a legit question for Cubs fans.  Why doesn't Soriano bat 2nd 3rd in the lineup?  How many RBI's a year does he miss out on by batting leadoff?

Is it because he "demands" too?  I am no GM, but looking at his stats the last few years.  His OBP is is .330ish, decent.  Strikes out more than a lead off hitter probably should, but in the past 2+ seasons he has hit 72 HRs, batted around .300 but only had 165 RBIs. 

Now compare that to Braun.  Fairly comparable hitters on both average and OBP, in the last 2+ seasons, Braun at the #3 spot has hit 79 HRs, but batted in 231 runs.

It seems so logical, especially now with the injuries to A-Ram and D-Lee.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1337 on: May 11, 2009, 10:32:19 AM »
This is actually a legit question for Cubs fans.  Why doesn't Soriano bat 2nd 3rd in the lineup?  How many RBI's a year does he miss out on by batting leadoff?

He has never demonstrated an ability/willingness to do any sort of situational hitting whatsoever.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #1338 on: May 11, 2009, 10:39:22 AM »
Well if it makes you feel better.  I mean personally I'd rather have a team of many very good players like the Cubs and win the division.  That's just me though.

Getting closer.  How about...

"Playoff wins since Ryan Braun entered the NL Central."

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1339 on: May 11, 2009, 10:46:39 AM »
We're whining?  I can only IMAGINE the outcry if Macha were to have (God forbid) had Suppan toss a heater in the vicinity of Soriano's dome today.  And should he manage to somehow duck out of the way and have it graze his bat instead, would that make you feel ANY better about having a pitcher gun at your star's head?  Yeah, I didn't think so.

Soriano WAS hit in the head...this year...by Wellemeyer against STL.  The Cubs responded by throwing inside, then hitting Pujols in the back.  Just like the Brewers....when they hit Theriot in the ribs.  It's part of the game.  You didn't see Piniella crying to Bob Watson either.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #1340 on: May 11, 2009, 10:52:29 AM »
Soriano WAS hit in the head...this year...by Wellemeyer against STL.  The Cubs responded by throwing inside, then hitting Pujols in the back.  Just like the Brewers....when they hit Theriot in the ribs.  It's part of the game.  You didn't see Piniella crying to Bob Watson either.

That's fair.  I'll agree that throwing at the ribs in retaliation is part of the game.  But now you AND TallTitan have said (in different contexts) that throwing at someone's head is "part of the game" (whether they're bunting or you're attempting to send a message).  I don't think I've ever been "taught" or "heard" a situation where throwing a fastball at a guy's head is acceptable.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1341 on: May 11, 2009, 10:54:37 AM »

Actually....MillerCoors belongs to Chicago now....read the reasoning for the move to Chicago...

http://www.millercoors.com/news/headquarters-faq.aspx

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1342 on: May 11, 2009, 10:59:35 AM »
That's fair.  I'll agree that throwing at the ribs in retaliation is part of the game.  But now you AND TallTitan have said (in different contexts) that throwing at someone's head is "part of the game" (whether they're bunting or you're attempting to send a message).  I don't think I've ever been "taught" or "heard" a situation where throwing a fastball at a guy's head is acceptable.

No....I agree with you....throwing at someone's head is never acceptable.  I don't care which team you play or pull for.  I meant the retaliation part of it.  I honestly can't imagine that pitchers ever intentionally gun for a guy's head (again, there are certain unwritten "rules;" it's not unlike a chop block in football...you don't do something that could potentially end the career of another player)...but I do believe that when it happens, the pitcher was most likely going inside or possibly even throwing at the guy and the ball gets away....that's what happens when a pitcher is intentionally throwing a non-strike...way less control. 

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #1343 on: May 11, 2009, 11:02:48 AM »
No....I agree with you....throwing at someone's head is never acceptable.  I don't care which team you play or pull for.  I meant the retaliation part of it.  I honestly can't imagine that pitchers ever intentionally gun for a guy's head (again, there are certain unwritten "rules;" it's not unlike a chop block in football...you don't do something that could potentially end the career of another player)...but I do believe that when it happens, the pitcher was most likely going inside or possibly even throwing at the guy and the ball gets away....that's what happens when a pitcher is intentionally throwing a non-strike...way less control. 

That's true.  I always wonder why certain pitchers struggle immensely with accuracy on an intentional walk.  Some guys flirt with throwing it to the backstop on occasion.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1344 on: May 11, 2009, 11:22:46 AM »
As opposed to the netting that keeps Wrigley field from killing its patrons?

They could've used some netting at Miller Park:
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-6291553.html

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1345 on: May 11, 2009, 11:43:37 AM »

Is it because he "demands" too?  I am no GM, but looking at his stats the last few years.  His OBP is is .330ish, decent.  Strikes out more than a lead off hitter probably should, but in the past 2+ seasons he has hit 72 HRs, batted around .300 but only had 165 RBIs. 

Now compare that to Braun.  Fairly comparable hitters on both average and OBP, in the last 2+ seasons, Braun at the #3 spot has hit 79 HRs, but batted in 231 runs.

It seems so logical, especially now with the injuries to A-Ram and D-Lee.

This has been a ciruclar debate and point of contention since Soriano came to Chicago.   A lot of people were hoping for him to be moved down in the line up this year after his playoff "performance" last year...I'd even take second behind Theriot....but anywhere 3-5 could also make sense.  It's not a matter of him demanding anything...he's openly said he'd hit anywhere Piniella puts him.  It's a matter of where he's comfortable...which over the course of his career has been in the leadoff spot.  Over the course of the season, he'll get more ABs hitting there and it's nice to have the occassional 1-0 lead in the 1st inninng but, you're right, there's no telling how many runs the Cubs are leaving on the table in certain situations...especially now without Lee and Ramirez.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1346 on: May 11, 2009, 11:50:19 AM »
Yeah and I've never heard a Brewer fan mention Wood or Prior.
You're really good at pulling only parts of my posts that fit your argument.  Like I said, it goes both ways.  I didn't claim the Brewers fans to be holy and to never poke fun at your injury prone players.  I said it goes both ways, meaning that BOTH the Brewers fans and Cubs fans poke fun at injury prone players.  So thank you for bringing up the same point I just made.

And PTM, you're starting to sound pretty desperate.  Your last 6 posts have had nothing to do with baseball whatsoever.  You have banners, how bad Miller Park looks, how bad Miller Park functions, a advertisement from Miller, and Brewers fans.

Is it because your "lineup of good players," rather than the Brewers "just 2nd best player in the NL Central and then scrubs" (as you would seem to be implying), just dropped 2 of 3 to the Brewers and really does not look very good right now?  What's the deal?

By the way that sign Miller has is really funny.  It's been a while since you guys have been able to WIN one of those pennant races.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1347 on: May 11, 2009, 12:28:33 PM »
You're really good at pulling only parts of my posts that fit your argument.  Like I said, it goes both ways.  I didn't claim the Brewers fans to be holy and to never poke fun at your injury prone players.  I said it goes both ways, meaning that BOTH the Brewers fans and Cubs fans poke fun at injury prone players.  So thank you for bringing up the same point I just made.

And PTM, you're starting to sound pretty desperate.  Your last 6 posts have had nothing to do with baseball whatsoever.  You have banners, how bad Miller Park looks, how bad Miller Park functions, a advertisement from Miller, and Brewers fans.

Is it because your "lineup of good players," rather than the Brewers "just 2nd best player in the NL Central and then scrubs" (as you would seem to be implying), just dropped 2 of 3 to the Brewers and really does not look very good right now?  What's the deal?

By the way that sign Miller has is really funny.  It's been a while since you guys have been able to WIN one of those pennant races.

1.) I haven't posted anything.
2.) Everything TT has posted has contributed to the pissing match in a humorous fashion. It's a pissing match that you have routinely taken personal and get far too angered with, relax.
3.) Losing 2 of 3 to the Brewers doesn't have me worried. Losing Aramis doesn't have me worried. Were talking about baseball. Things look fine until you have these problems in August. I would be worried if my team was greatly overachieving, but you have to enjoy it.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #1348 on: May 11, 2009, 12:32:38 PM »
I would figure the simple fact that the Cubs allowed Counsell's 1 HR of the year would be enough to put them in hiding for a week.  Guess not.

To take a page from Shaq, hey Cub fans, how does Braun's ass taste?
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1349 on: May 11, 2009, 12:34:07 PM »
They could've used some netting at Miller Park:
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-6291553.html

touche

That has everything to with miller park and nothing to do with a man's stupidity!