collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461318 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #1250 on: May 01, 2009, 12:41:20 AM »
Sure glad we have you back in the fold with this thread wade.
You are?  GREAT!  I'm glad to be back!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #1251 on: May 01, 2009, 01:32:46 PM »
Ari, just enjoy the Brewers 5th place finis this season.  Good luck winning without any pitching.  Sure will be embarrassing for you and your crew this year when the Reds finish ahead of you

I like to make fun of Marquette09 as much as the next guy, and any opportunity to do it in a public sphere is awesome so:
 Currently the brewers are in 2nd place in the division, and the Cubs have fallen to 5th. Brewers are +2 in the run differential, while the cubs are -7. I know there is a lot of baseball to play and Cubs fans will have any number of excuses but I want people to be reminded of Marquette09's prediction throughout the year until the final game of the season and the culmination of his wrongness.

Thank you

-ed spell check-
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 01:40:16 PM by Ari Gold »

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #1252 on: May 01, 2009, 03:50:59 PM »
I guess my presence has been requested on this thread.  Wadesworld, I made the prediction before the season and then posted it ONE other time during the second week of the season (thanks for your help drew) .  Yes, right now the Cubs are in 5th and the Brewers are TIED for second but let's remember one thing, its May 1st, we got a long way to go and its not how you start but rather how you finish.   The Cubs are not hitting right now (or pitching that well as a matter of fact) but I can guaratnee you that the Cubs make the playoffs this year which means we finish first or second in the division, and just so all the Brewers fans know thier is not a snowballs chance in hell the Crew finishes ahead of the Cubs or Cards this year so no playoffs for them.

Could the Crew finish third? Seems plausible but for now I will stand behind my 5th place prediction.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1253 on: May 01, 2009, 05:18:02 PM »
Yes, right now the Cubs are in 5th and the Brewers are TIED for second but let's remember one thing, its May 1st, we got a long way to go and its not how you start but rather how you finish.
It was even earlier when you first updated us on that prediction...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #1254 on: May 01, 2009, 08:52:20 PM »
just so all the Brewers fans know thier is not a snowballs chance in hell the Crew finishes ahead of the Cubs or Cards this year so no playoffs for them.

Could the Crew finish third? Seems plausible but for now I will stand behind my 5th place prediction.

Perhaps it may be my optimism but I do not know how you can make that claim!  We basically have the same team that started the year as last year. 

So we lost Sheets, but Yo is healthy.  And you can ask most Brewer fans that although Sheets is a wiz at times, he will either 1) get injured or 2) lose steam down the stretch (i.e. last year). 

Yeah we do not have C.C. but we didn't get him until the A.S. Break, and we were doing well before then. 

The lineup is pretty much the same except one year older.  And at this point in time, one year older is a good thing.

I guess I shouldn't get upset at you MU09, you are a Cub fan so I should expect it from you, placing opinions without analyzing and blaming your failure to make the Series on a goat or a fan that tried to catch a foul ball right in front of him rather than looking at your team and how they blew up the rest of that inning and lost their composure and how THEY ARE JUST NOT THAT GOOD!

So go have another Old Style and pee in a cup in the bleachers.  :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 08:53:57 PM by pillardean »
Marquette University, Spring '08

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #1255 on: May 01, 2009, 09:38:19 PM »

I guess I shouldn't get upset at you MU09, you are a Cub fan so I should expect it from you, placing opinions without analyzing and blaming your failure to make the Series on a goat or a fan that tried to catch a foul ball right in front of him rather than looking at your team and how they blew up the rest of that inning and lost their composure and how THEY ARE JUST NOT THAT GOOD!

I don't understand your argument here.  I justified my claim that the Brewers would finish in 5th based on their lack of pitching.  So far, I will admit, the staff has done a good job most impressively Yo.  However I still feel that the Brewers do not have the arms to finish either ahead of the Cards or Cubs in the division (unless one of those two teams experience significant injuries).  Yes your team got off to a good start last year but you have to admit that their is no way the Crew makes the playoffs last year without CC, and he ain't coming back this year.

Furthermore I do not understand your little rant about our failure to make the series on the goat.  I'm confused by your use of the verb ARE.  In your rant you talk about the 03 team in the past tense but then transfer to the present tense with "are".  The problem with this is that their are only two players on the Cubs current roster, Z and Aramis that were on the 03 team.  So if your making refrence to the 03 team yeah, THEY BLEW IT.  IT WAS NOT BARTMANS fault.  Mark Prior walked Luis Castillo and Alex Gonzalez make a huge error.  THAT IS WHY WE LOST.  Now if your claim is about the current team I respectfully disagree.  Looking at the 08 stats, the CUBS were first in hitting and 3rd in pitching in the NL(using runs scored and ERA), which is a pretty good combo.  The team this year is off to a slow start, similarly to 07, but I have a feeling they will be back up near the top of the league in pitching and hitting by the end of the season.  Winning in the playoffs, that a whole different can of worms but I can guaratnee you we will be there. 

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #1256 on: May 01, 2009, 10:11:03 PM »
I don't understand your argument here.  I justified my claim that the Brewers would finish in 5th based on their lack of pitching.  So far, I will admit, the staff has done a good job most impressively Yo.  However I still feel that the Brewers do not have the arms to finish either ahead of the Cards or Cubs in the division (unless one of those two teams experience significant injuries).  Yes your team got off to a good start last year but you have to admit that their is no way the Crew makes the playoffs last year without CC, and he ain't coming back this year.

Furthermore I do not understand your little rant about our failure to make the series on the goat.  I'm confused by your use of the verb ARE.  In your rant you talk about the 03 team in the past tense but then transfer to the present tense with "are".  The problem with this is that their are only two players on the Cubs current roster, Z and Aramis that were on the 03 team.  So if your making refrence to the 03 team yeah, THEY BLEW IT.  IT WAS NOT BARTMANS fault.  Mark Prior walked Luis Castillo and Alex Gonzalez make a huge error.  THAT IS WHY WE LOST.  Now if your claim is about the current team I respectfully disagree.  Looking at the 08 stats, the CUBS were first in hitting and 3rd in pitching in the NL(using runs scored and ERA), which is a pretty good combo.  The team this year is off to a slow start, similarly to 07, but I have a feeling they will be back up near the top of the league in pitching and hitting by the end of the season.  Winning in the playoffs, that a whole different can of worms but I can guaratnee you we will be there. 

I was saying that it is outlandish to think that with the Brewers, returning their starters --plus another year of development for Parra (who pitched real well tonight), have no arms.  You are right to say that there is no way that they would have made the playoff push without the added arm, but you, more often than not, get the added arm down the stretch--which we could do this year with some of the young talent to trade if that is the route we want to take.

For all the crap I gave Melvin picking up Looper, he does know the Central and it is logical to assume he will finish around 11-9 if not better.  True, we do not have the big name arms, Z, Haren, etc. but we have quality arms that will make quality starts and Yo who has perennial all-star stuff and is showing it this year. 

You may be right that we won't make the playoffs, I would be a bit surprised if we do, but it wouldn't be out of nowhere.  If the batters can start to produce we will remain above .500 for the year, which is ideal for an August-September rush (i.e. Rockies).

I will thank you for pointing out my error in regards to '08.  The Cubs were really good.  However, instead of with the Brewers and another year older working better for them and their progression, the Cubs another year older is a negative--you can see it already with D-Lee.  What I was referring to in the "JUST ARE NOT THAT GOOD" was the general I have heard from Cubs fans during the past 10 years (albeit uneducated ones--which you are not) that the Cubs are much better than their talent displays.  The Cubs are a solid team this year and should be at the top of the division, but I do not believe it will be only a two team race for the NL Central Crown.  I just think to write off the Crew this early in the season is absurd--just as it is to say that D-Lee will have an Average of .205 in August--because they do have decent arms and a great arm in Yo (I suppose I am opposing your viewpoint on the inadequacy of the Brewers staff).

Tough loss today for the Crew, however.
Marquette University, Spring '08

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #1257 on: May 02, 2009, 01:19:05 AM »
I was saying that it is outlandish to think that with the Brewers, returning their starters --plus another year of development for Parra (who pitched real well tonight), have no arms.  You are right to say that there is no way that they would have made the playoff push without the added arm, but you, more often than not, get the added arm down the stretch--which we could do this year with some of the young talent to trade if that is the route we want to take.

For all the crap I gave Melvin picking up Looper, he does know the Central and it is logical to assume he will finish around 11-9 if not better.  True, we do not have the big name arms, Z, Haren, etc. but we have quality arms that will make quality starts and Yo who has perennial all-star stuff and is showing it this year. 

You may be right that we won't make the playoffs, I would be a bit surprised if we do, but it wouldn't be out of nowhere.  If the batters can start to produce we will remain above .500 for the year, which is ideal for an August-September rush (i.e. Rockies).

I will thank you for pointing out my error in regards to '08.  The Cubs were really good.  However, instead of with the Brewers and another year older working better for them and their progression, the Cubs another year older is a negative--you can see it already with D-Lee.  What I was referring to in the "JUST ARE NOT THAT GOOD" was the general I have heard from Cubs fans during the past 10 years (albeit uneducated ones--which you are not) that the Cubs are much better than their talent displays.  The Cubs are a solid team this year and should be at the top of the division, but I do not believe it will be only a two team race for the NL Central Crown.  I just think to write off the Crew this early in the season is absurd--just as it is to say that D-Lee will have an Average of .205 in August--because they do have decent arms and a great arm in Yo (I suppose I am opposing your viewpoint on the inadequacy of the Brewers staff).

Tough loss today for the Crew, however.

Solid post.  I agree with your age argument.  The Cubs age could be a factor especially if we continue to have injury after injury, however, as you noted we do have the resources to go out and get another arm or bat in July.  And as I said in a post earlier today I have been somewhat impressed with the brewers staff this season, Mainly Yo but you could also throw Looper into that mix as well. 

It certainly will be interesting to see how the rest of the season works out, especially in the NL central.  We know the Cubs and Cards will be up there, the Crew could potentially make a run and the Astros will most likley make a run like they always do in August. 

And nice win for the Cubs today

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1258 on: May 03, 2009, 06:48:17 PM »
The problem with this is that their are only two players on the Cubs current roster, Z and Aramis that were on the 03 team.  So if your making refrence to the 03 team yeah, THEY BLEW IT.  IT WAS NOT BARTMANS fault.  Mark Prior walked Luis Castillo and Alex Gonzalez make a huge error.  THAT IS WHY WE LOST.

Agreed MU09.

If you actually asked Cubs fans, the vast majority would blame Alex Gonzalez for not turning the double play that would have had the Cubs out of the inning with the lead. 

Bartman is just a figure the media and Cubs haters continue to bring up.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #1259 on: May 04, 2009, 11:35:32 AM »
Agreed MU09.

If you actually asked Cubs fans, the vast majority would blame Alex Gonzalez for not turning the double play that would have had the Cubs out of the inning with the lead. 

Bartman is just a figure the media and Cubs haters continue to bring up.

+1
i haven't heard a cubs fan speak ill of bartman in years but he gets brought up on PTI and around the horn every couple months.
And it is silly to say that the brewers will finish 5th.  They are in the driver's seat for a fourth place finish.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1260 on: May 04, 2009, 12:16:25 PM »
They are in the driver's seat for a fourth place finish.

Such confidence after your top pitcher pulls his 'gine plodding to first base.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • āœ… Verified Member
« Reply #1261 on: May 04, 2009, 01:40:22 PM »
I really hope that this thread culminates in all of us coming together over our mutual hatred of the Cards.  Fracking Cards  >:(

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1262 on: May 04, 2009, 02:28:27 PM »
I really hope that this thread culminates in all of us coming together over our mutual hatred of the Cards.  Fracking Cards  >:(

If you haven't noticed, this thread culminates into nothing.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #1263 on: May 04, 2009, 02:58:38 PM »
If you haven't noticed, this thread culminates into nothing.

^^^^ The wisest post in 51 pages.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1264 on: May 04, 2009, 09:46:27 PM »

Hey I made a jab at the Cardinals in the second post of the entire thread.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #1265 on: May 04, 2009, 10:56:46 PM »
Z has hit the 15 day DL for the first time this year.... I'm hearing crumbling sounds

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1266 on: May 04, 2009, 11:16:36 PM »
Does "Sweet Lou" REALLY have a Twitter?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1267 on: May 05, 2009, 01:06:03 AM »
Z has hit the 15 day DL for the first time this year.... I'm hearing crumbling sounds

Haha wow. You realize its a hamstring and not his arm?

The Cubs have had nearly every key player miss significant time this season (Soto, Ramirez, Lee, Bradley, Zambrano, Marmol) and they are still ahead of the Brewers.

Now that Soto, Ramirez, Lee, and Bradley are back I'd say they are actually getting stronger if anything.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1268 on: May 05, 2009, 07:16:14 AM »
Now that Theriot found his stroke, I'm not too worried. 

The best move Lou has made since he was here is moving D Lee to 4 or 5 hole...the cubs will be a much better offensive team!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1269 on: May 05, 2009, 07:44:54 AM »

For the first time this year? How often do you think Zambrano has been on the DL?

I think the crumbling sounds you are hearing are the lingering structural issues with Ryan Braun's back. No MRI results for an injury since March? Sounds like something that could last all season.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #1270 on: May 05, 2009, 07:53:51 AM »
For the first time this year? How often do you think Zambrano has been on the DL?

I think the crumbling sounds you are hearing are the lingering structural issues with Ryan Braun's back. No MRI results for an injury since March? Sounds like something that could last all season.

"lingering structural issues" would show up on an MRI. Just sayin'.

Also, regarding the "it's his hamstring, not his arm" comment: see Sheets, Ben, Wood, Kerry, and Prior, Mark (of course, Z doesn't have nearly the injury history of those 3, but again, just sayin'.)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1271 on: May 05, 2009, 09:47:11 AM »
HAH and he showed up late to the game because of that MRI.  That really seemed to hamper him.  Pinch hit 2 RBI double to tie the game in the 8th.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1272 on: May 05, 2009, 09:51:44 AM »
Lingering structural issues was a bad choice of words. What I'm saying is something is wrong, and they can't find it. A nagging injury all season wouldn't be optimal.

I'm not too worried about Z. I'm actually willing to make a friendly wager than Randy Wells doesn't lose on Friday.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1273 on: May 06, 2009, 07:39:47 PM »
As this is a pissing match, I'm guessing several of you who signed up for peeyourpantsforthebrewers.com did not piss yourselves.

Please proceed.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1274 on: May 06, 2009, 07:58:28 PM »
Never heard of that.  I do know we put up 9 runs on Bronson Arroyo tonight before he got an out in the 2nd.  And that we're ahead of the Cubs.