collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461317 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #1225 on: April 16, 2009, 11:48:04 PM »
Lighten up Francis.  I've never typed the words "raging homosexual" in this or any other forum, so go for it.  I used your words.  Just having a little fun big guy.  (Note the wink)
As am I.  I never said you said the words "raging homosexual" but i could erase letters until then.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1226 on: April 17, 2009, 08:56:31 AM »
Milton Bradley bumping an umpire, and getting ejected from a game.   ?-(

STUNNING!
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/99492-ump-claims-bradley-bumped-him

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #1227 on: April 17, 2009, 12:25:33 PM »
If you watch the replay it does not look like Bradley hit the ump at all.  At most their was incidental contact between Bradley's helmet and the ump's hat, but if the contact did happen its not that visible.  Furthermore, I don't have a problem with him voicing his frustration.  He was pinch hitting and was not going to stay in the game anyway.  The call was borderline at best, I think it was a ball but probably too close to take on a 3-2 pitch. 

By the way, a week and a half into the season my Brewers in 5th place prediction is holding up.  Will it last, who knows but unless they find some quality arms they are going to finsih the season there.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1228 on: April 17, 2009, 01:01:49 PM »
If you watch the replay it does not look like Bradley hit the ump at all.  At most their was incidental contact between Bradley's helmet and the ump's hat, but if the contact did happen its not that visible.  Furthermore, I don't have a problem with him voicing his frustration.  He was pinch hitting and was not going to stay in the game anyway.  The call was borderline at best, I think it was a ball but probably too close to take on a 3-2 pitch. 

By the way, a week and a half into the season my Brewers in 5th place prediction is holding up.  Will it last, who knows but unless they find some quality arms they are going to finsih the season there.

That little contact was all they need!  I was pissed when i saw him take strike 2...and strike 3 was so nasty, it should have been called a strike no matter what.  Bradley choked and as a cubs fan, thats not what i want to see from him!

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #1229 on: April 17, 2009, 01:21:52 PM »
That little contact was all they need!  I was pissed when i saw him take strike 2...and strike 3 was so nasty, it should have been called a strike no matter what.  Bradley choked and as a cubs fan, thats not what i want to see from him!

By the way, I just saw the replay again on the Cubs telecast today and there was a little more contact than I initially thought, but it still was incidential.  I wouldn't say Bradley necessarily chocked seeing as a player can not be expected to get a hit everytime (or get the run in from 3rd with less than two outs everytime), but nontheless it was a disappointing at bat.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #1230 on: April 17, 2009, 01:47:23 PM »
Bradley choked and as a cubs fan, thats not what i want to see from him!

Anyone else see the oxymoron in this statement?

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #1231 on: April 17, 2009, 01:49:07 PM »
http://deadspin.com/5216484/rod-blagojevich-will-tweak-your-lineup

If Lou would have listened to Blago I'm sure that the Cubs wouldn't have been swept in the playoffs... oh and Mark Prior would probably be in congress so he wouldnt have to worry about that pesky pitching problem he can't seem to get rid of.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1232 on: April 19, 2009, 12:41:09 PM »
Speaking of crickets.....awfully quiet around here.  I understand.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #1233 on: April 19, 2009, 02:13:52 PM »
Speaking of crickets.....awfully quiet around here.  I understand.

Thanks.

MUAlum99

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1234 on: April 19, 2009, 06:48:17 PM »
Will it last, who knows but unless they find some quality arms they are going to finsih the season there.

Quality arms?  They've gotten 5 quality starts in a row:
Parra (6 inn., 3 hits, 3 runs) - Loss
Looper (6 inn., 3 hits, 3 runs) - Win
Bush (6 inn., 7 hits, 3 runs) - Left with lead, Brewers lose
YoGa (6 inn., 5 hits, 0 runs) - Left with game tied, Brewers lose
Suppan (6 inn., 8 hits, 2 runs)  - Win

The bullpen has also been decent (not great, but decent).

I'd argue the Brewers' bats are to blame so far...Braun, Hardy and Fielder have been in slumps since the season started.  We're 4 games under .500 with a mediocre pitching staff (according to most) and our top three hitters in slumps.  Plus, we're 1-4 in one-run games.  We're not being blown out of the water even though we haven't been hitting. 

I'd say we're OK for now.  Once the bats heat up, we'll rip off a win streak or two.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because warriors are what we really are."  - Wesley Matthews

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1235 on: April 19, 2009, 11:25:11 PM »
On my way to MN i was listening to 620 and heard something very dumb, and I would like to hear if other brewer fans have heard or shared this thought.

The guy called in and talked about trading for Peavy with a deal that involved Prince Fielder.  Why would SD take a beefcake that isn't all he is hyped up to be when they have Adrian Gonzalez?  It could be just one idiot caller, but i have no clue

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1236 on: April 19, 2009, 11:38:08 PM »
Haha the people who post on si.com's rumor blogs are not very smart.  There's a "rumor" that the Brewers will be tempted to make a run for Peavy towards the deadline (with no sources, no quotes, nothing, just saying they could use him and that Melvin has shown he will spend money and make the big deal...no kidding?  I hear the Brewers are trying to trade for Harden.  They could use a top end starter, and Melvin has proved he will pull a deal even though he is in a small market.)

Some posters are talking about Prince Fielder for Jake Peavy straight up.  If we could get that, and Melvin did not go through on it, I'd go and kill him myself.  Not only will Prince Fielder not get us a top end starter from anywhere, but the Padres also have Gonzolez at first.  He's better than Prince.  That's the 1 spot in their lineup that doesn't need an offensive upgrade.  They're talking about how he doesn't just hit for power, he takes walks and is a great overall hitter.  Really?  From what I've seen, he hits solo homeruns or strikes out.  Once in a while he'll walk.  He has all of 1 clutch hit in his career.  Whenever Braun does something before him, it's a guaranteed strikeout.  Not to mention his defense is awful, and he's not becoming any thinner/taller or more athletic.

I would die for a Prince trade that involved a top end starter, but who would want that?  Hell I'd trade him for a guy like Bronson Arroyo.

I'm one who doesn't want a Peavy trade.  That would mean we'd be giving up either JJ or Escobar.  I don't want to give up another top prospect, or our 2nd most consistent player, and best defensive infielder.  I would also love for Escobar to be called up, start him at SS, and move JJ over to 3B.  If the Brewers are about winning then Bill Hall should not be playing.  He had 1 good year, and other than that has been awful.  Has he taken a pitch yet this year?  I don't care that he's getting paid.  He can get paid and watch from the bench.  If Escobar is not better than Bill Hall right now then Escobar is completely overrated and I take back these comments, but I doubt that is the case.  I want to win baseball games, not satisfy the players we play the most.
Rob, we share the same feelings on that subject.  I wrote this ^^^ a couple weeks ago.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1237 on: April 21, 2009, 08:10:05 AM »
Thanks wadesworld.  Yeah I almost crashed I was laughing so hard at the trade idea!

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #1238 on: April 21, 2009, 12:02:39 PM »
Peavy for Prince is probably the most desired option right now, however it's still very unlikely. The only highlight is that Peavy has years left on his deal. I think there is enough upside for prince that those two players could be the only one given up for Jake. What I think is more likely is Prince to an AL team, the guy has DH in his future, maybe a contending team will make a move for him. I'm all for bringing Mat Gamel up and placing him at 1st when prince is gone. I don't think we lose a lot because of it.

It is time time to let Bill Hall Wins Ball Games on the bench and move JJ to 3rd, problem is JJ won't move to third, but he doesn't want to leave Milwaukee...conundrum

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #1239 on: April 21, 2009, 12:24:05 PM »
Peavy for Prince is probably the most desired option right now, however it's still very unlikely. The only highlight is that Peavy has years left on his deal. I think there is enough upside for prince that those two players could be the only one given up for Jake. What I think is more likely is Prince to an AL team, the guy has DH in his future, maybe a contending team will make a move for him. I'm all for bringing Mat Gamel up and placing him at 1st when prince is gone. I don't think we lose a lot because of it.

It is time time to let Bill Hall Wins Ball Games on the bench and move JJ to 3rd, problem is JJ won't move to third, but he doesn't want to leave Milwaukee...conundrum

I understand the rationale behind moving JJ to 3rd (Escobar in the minors), but Hardy was an All-Star at SS last year, and is one of the top 2-3 at his position in the NL. It doesn't matter who's behind him. You don't make that move.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1240 on: April 21, 2009, 07:00:45 PM »
I understand the rationale behind moving JJ to 3rd (Escobar in the minors), but Hardy was an All-Star at SS last year, and is one of the top 2-3 at his position in the NL. It doesn't matter who's behind him. You don't make that move.
I love JJ, but I'm not sold on that.  Any time before this year that he wasn't batting 2nd he's been awful offensively.  And now he's batting 5 and is awful offensively.  Quiet honestly, I think Ryan Braun made him (offensively).  He got pitches to hit in front of Braun, and now without Braun protecting him he can't do anything on offense.  Also, I HEAR Escobar is already Gold Glove caliber at SS (haven't seen him play and he's in the Minors, so who knows?).  JJ is very good defensively but he doesn't have the greatest range at SS.  That's why at 3rd he'd be a stud.  He doesn't need the range, but he makes every play where he gets to the ball and has a cannon of an arm.  As long as he's batting in front of Braun I like JJ, but outside of that spot he's not nearly as good.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #1241 on: April 22, 2009, 03:18:18 PM »
I love JJ, but I'm not sold on that.  Any time before this year that he wasn't batting 2nd he's been awful offensively.  And now he's batting 5 and is awful offensively.  Quiet honestly, I think Ryan Braun made him (offensively).  He got pitches to hit in front of Braun, and now without Braun protecting him he can't do anything on offense.  Also, I HEAR Escobar is already Gold Glove caliber at SS (haven't seen him play and he's in the Minors, so who knows?).  JJ is very good defensively but he doesn't have the greatest range at SS.  That's why at 3rd he'd be a stud.  He doesn't need the range, but he makes every play where he gets to the ball and has a cannon of an arm.  As long as he's batting in front of Braun I like JJ, but outside of that spot he's not nearly as good.

the only problem is he doesnt want to play 3rd. I really think it will be a matter of top brass at the Brewers saying to JJ that its either third base here or SS somewhere else, and I think he likes Milwaukee better than his IF position since he pleaded with Melvin not to trade him this past winter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1242 on: April 25, 2009, 04:37:46 PM »
What's Alfonso Soriano swinging at?

And my Cardinals division champs is looking pretty good based on their matchups with the Cubs so far.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 06:08:51 PM by wadesworld »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1243 on: April 28, 2009, 10:51:38 PM »
What's Alfonso Soriano swinging at?

And my Cardinals division champs is looking pretty good based on their matchups with the Cubs so far.

1) Soriano is leading the NL in homeruns so he can continue to swing at whatever he's like.

2) Cubs/Cards series is tied at 3 games a piece.

3) Just wait for the Cubs to get healthy.  Brewers will fall into place now that Hoffman is back.  Cubs will do likewise.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1244 on: April 30, 2009, 06:32:39 PM »
Hey marquette09, could you please update me on the NL Central standings and your 5th place prediction for the Brewers and how that is doing?  You used to give us daily updates on that prediction.  The Cubs seem to now be below the Brewers in the standings.  I'm not saying that will be the case at the end of the season, but why did you stop giving us those daily updates on how your Brewers 5th place prediction is working out all of a sudden?

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #1245 on: April 30, 2009, 08:13:27 PM »
wadesworld is right, i've given up on the season.  Lets start throwing games and playing for a draft pick.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1246 on: April 30, 2009, 08:31:57 PM »
wadesworld is right, i've given up on the season.  Lets start throwing games and playing for a draft pick.
Like I said, I'm not saying I expect the standings to be the same at the end of the season, but I got used to my daily updates of marquette90's 5th place prediction for the Brewers, and now I'm wondering where they are.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #1247 on: April 30, 2009, 11:21:39 PM »
Hell's Bell's is nice to hear! Two in a row.

You just have a sense that the team really respects and has confidence in Hoffman this year rather than the 10 Million Dollar dead fish in Gagne (not sure what dead fish is supposed to mean, but it's not good).

Also with Hoffman back the rest of the pen realizes their role and knows what is expected out of them, just get the lead to the 9th.

Oh, watching Cubs/Brewers series earlier this year and seeing the fat Cubs dude falling into the field was classic idiocy.

Marquette University, Spring '08

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1248 on: April 30, 2009, 11:28:16 PM »
Oh, watching Cubs/Brewers series earlier this year and seeing the fat Cubs dude falling into the field was classic idiocy.
Haha that was absolutely hilarious, but I do have to say, unfortunately, that the guy was not just sloppy drunk.  I was sitting 4 seats away from him and he stepped into the aisle where there was a gate that opens up to the field and it was unlocked when it should not have been, so as he reached over to catch the ball it flew open, which he clearly was not expecting.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1249 on: May 01, 2009, 12:39:43 AM »
Like I said, I'm not saying I expect the standings to be the same at the end of the season, but I got used to my daily updates of marquette90's 5th place prediction for the Brewers, and now I'm wondering where they are.

Marquette09 made the prediction on March 27. On April 17, he noted that his prediction was holding up. That is one update over the course of the entire month. Sure glad we have you back in the fold with this thread wade.