collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461333 times)

MarquetteFan94

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #1175 on: April 07, 2009, 05:11:43 PM »
I know the NHL paid for it but I thought that was an unintended consequence of the game.

As part of the agreement between the Cubs and NHL it was bugeted before the game to replace the turf and repair any damage to the field....all they ended up having to do was replace the turf.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #1176 on: April 07, 2009, 08:28:22 PM »
Arizona also has the ability to completely remove the field out of the stadium..

I'd love to know what you thought my post was referring to.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #1177 on: April 08, 2009, 11:18:34 AM »

I had an invitation to go to opening day at Wrigley last year, but politely declined based almost entirely on the fact that it was cold and rainy. Its just not fun. Give me that roof any time.

So what you are saying is that you are the very definition of a fair weather fan!  haha, i kill me.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1178 on: April 10, 2009, 07:36:29 PM »
I think this is fitting after today's game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrobcJa_EV8

Please notice what is being said at the beginning of the video: "By far and away the most obnoxious fans in baseball in this league are those who follow this team right here.  See, this is the kind of thing, quite honestly, right now that makes you want to see the Chicago Cubs team lose.  You simply root against them.  At the end of the day they still are the Chicago Cubs and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up."
Couldn't say it much better myself.

Anyway, any Cubs fan who talks about how bad Ryan Braun's defense is and how deep he plays defense to keep balls in front of him should probably look at their own left fielder's defense first.  First he lets a pop fly (not even close to a blooper) land in front of him in short left, and then, in the NINTH INNING WITH ONE OUT AND A MAN ON FIRST, he misplays a ball and lets it land over his head.  Remarkable.

By the way, Ryan Braun saved a run with a great catch today.

Great game today.  GO CREW!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1179 on: April 11, 2009, 08:07:23 AM »
I think this is fitting after today's game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrobcJa_EV8

Please notice what is being said at the beginning of the video: "By far and away the most obnoxious fans in baseball in this league are those who follow this team right here.  See, this is the kind of thing, quite honestly, right now that makes you want to see the Chicago Cubs team lose.  You simply root against them.  At the end of the day they still are the Chicago Cubs and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up."
Couldn't say it much better myself.

Anyway, any Cubs fan who talks about how bad Ryan Braun's defense is and how deep he plays defense to keep balls in front of him should probably look at their own left fielder's defense first.  First he lets a pop fly (not even close to a blooper) land in front of him in short left, and then, in the NINTH INNING WITH ONE OUT AND A MAN ON FIRST, he misplays a ball and lets it land over his head.  Remarkable.

By the way, Ryan Braun saved a run with a great catch today.

Great game today.  GO CREW!

Crickets...

Go BREWERS!

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #1180 on: April 11, 2009, 09:07:17 AM »
Couldn't have said it better myself......happy to see Rickie have things start happening for him too...what a play at the plate!

Go CREW!

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1181 on: April 11, 2009, 11:39:39 AM »
Crickets...

Go BREWERS!

The cubs middle relief is a worry I have...the fact they don't really have any good relievers sans Marmol will make it a tricky year.

I understand a win is a win, but there is no way you can say the brewers swung the bats well...Harden made them look silly

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1182 on: April 11, 2009, 11:41:17 AM »
Couldn't have said it better myself......happy to see Rickie have things start happening for him too...what a play at the plate!

Go CREW!
Yeah, Rickie single handedly won us that game.  When is the last time you could say that?  3 great plays at 2nd defensively, the liner to plate the tying run, the stolen 3rd base off of a ball that went about 3 feet from the catcher to the 3rd base line (still not sure how he got that jump and made it to 3rd - if Rickie's still on 2nd that's an inning ending double play), and then to beat the throw to the plate.  Awesome.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/clip?id=4060250&categoryid=2521705
Haha Soriano starts about 4 feet in front of where that ball eventually lands, but he starts to come in on the ball.  I haven't played baseball in 8 years and even I know that with a man on 1st in the 9th inning and you're up by a run you don't let the ball get over your head.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1183 on: April 11, 2009, 11:44:44 AM »
The cubs middle relief is a worry I have...the fact they don't really have any good relievers sans Marmol will make it a tricky year.

I understand a win is a win, but there is no way you can say the brewers swung the bats well...Harden made them look silly
And I will agree with this.  Our offense looks awful.  Cameron looks like a stud right now (even when he got out yesterday the liners he got out on were shots), and Braun's doing okay, but they're all base hits.  Other than that, Rickie's swinging a decent bat, not great, Corey had a big hit yesterday but hasn't looked good so far, Prince is awful, JJ is awful, every time Hall comes up it's a strikeout, and Kendall might not get a hit this year.  I have more faith in our pitchers putting the ball in play than I do in 3 of our regulars putting the ball in play.

But I will say, Harden's a stud, and this won't be the only game that he will make a team look silly.  Also, Brewers pitchers give up way too many walks/fall behind in the count way too much.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #1184 on: April 11, 2009, 01:34:39 PM »

Anyway, any Cubs fan who talks about how bad Ryan Braun's defense is and how deep he plays defense to keep balls in front of him should probably look at their own left fielder's defense first. 

FWIW, in his first season with the Cubs, Soriano had more assists than any Cubs outfielder in 50 years.  So it's not all bad.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1185 on: April 11, 2009, 09:40:23 PM »
Haha the Cubbies made me eat my words today.  The first 2 games have been great games so far.  Hopefully tomorrow can be just as good.

GO CREW!

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1186 on: April 11, 2009, 09:41:20 PM »
If this is going to be how the year goes...I am going to have an ulcer!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1187 on: April 11, 2009, 09:50:16 PM »
Yup.  By the way, the first base umpire missed that call on Soriano's (should have been) double play.  We should be playing a 10th inning right now.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #1188 on: April 11, 2009, 09:50:50 PM »

I agree... although that first base umpire boned the Brewers on 2 plays today...one which cost a run, we should be in the 10th right now.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1189 on: April 11, 2009, 10:25:26 PM »
What's up with Rickie weeks, if he keeps this up I wil have to call him an actual major leaguer!

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #1190 on: April 12, 2009, 10:07:22 AM »
This is how this series should be!

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #1191 on: April 12, 2009, 10:42:06 AM »
To break away from the pissing momentarily, +1 to what IAmMarquette just said.  What a great series.  I was at opening day and missed last night due to the Easter Vigil, but it sounds like it was absolutely as nerve wracking as game 1. 

Looking forward to the finale.

Go Crew.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1192 on: April 12, 2009, 03:42:24 PM »
Haha the people who post on si.com's rumor blogs are not very smart.  There's a "rumor" that the Brewers will be tempted to make a run for Peavy towards the deadline (with no sources, no quotes, nothing, just saying they could use him and that Melvin has shown he will spend money and make the big deal...no kidding?  I hear the Brewers are trying to trade for Harden.  They could use a top end starter, and Melvin has proved he will pull a deal even though he is in a small market.)

Some posters are talking about Prince Fielder for Jake Peavy straight up.  If we could get that, and Melvin did not go through on it, I'd go and kill him myself.  Not only will Prince Fielder not get us a top end starter from anywhere, but the Padres also have Gonzolez at first.  He's better than Prince.  That's the 1 spot in their lineup that doesn't need an offensive upgrade.  They're talking about how he doesn't just hit for power, he takes walks and is a great overall hitter.  Really?  From what I've seen, he hits solo homeruns or strikes out.  Once in a while he'll walk.  He has all of 1 clutch hit in his career.  Whenever Braun does something before him, it's a guaranteed strikeout.  Not to mention his defense is awful, and he's not becoming any thinner/taller or more athletic.

I would die for a Prince trade that involved a top end starter, but who would want that?  Hell I'd trade him for a guy like Bronson Arroyo.

I'm one who doesn't want a Peavy trade.  That would mean we'd be giving up either JJ or Escobar.  I don't want to give up another top prospect, or our 2nd most consistent player, and best defensive infielder.  I would also love for Escobar to be called up, start him at SS, and move JJ over to 3B.  If the Brewers are about winning then Bill Hall should not be playing.  He had 1 good year, and other than that has been awful.  Has he taken a pitch yet this year?  I don't care that he's getting paid.  He can get paid and watch from the bench.  If Escobar is not better than Bill Hall right now then Escobar is completely overrated and I take back these comments, but I doubt that is the case.  I want to win baseball games, not satisfy the players we play the most.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #1193 on: April 12, 2009, 06:27:51 PM »
If the Brewers are about winning then Bill Hall should not be playing. 

AMEN

Bill Hall has been on a downward spiral since his big year that got him that crazy contract.

I do not know much about escobar but if it involved an upgrade from hall im all for it

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1194 on: April 12, 2009, 10:23:09 PM »
Outside of Gallardo, maybe parra on a good day, this brewer team is going to have big troubles with SP.

I realize the cubs are On-base machines, but this is just ugly!

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1195 on: April 12, 2009, 10:45:13 PM »
Fun series.  Great game tonight.  First pitch....gone.  Reed Johnson's catch.  4 bases loaded walks in the 4th...ugly/funny.  Another series win at Wrigley North....4 of the last 5 series in Milwaukee.  Taking the first two road series of the year....nice start. 

Wrigley home opener tomorrow....looking forward to braving the elements.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1196 on: April 12, 2009, 10:53:59 PM »
Fun series.  Great game tonight.  First pitch....gone.  Reed Johnson's catch.  4 bases loaded walks in the 4th...ugly/funny.  Another series win at Wrigley North....4 of the last 5 series in Milwaukee.  Taking the first two road series of the year....nice start. 

Wrigley home opener tomorrow....looking forward to braving the elements.

It seems like it will be just as bad as last year, it will become a long day but it should be awesome!!!  TT, PTM, Jimbo, and myself will all be in the bleachers!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1197 on: April 13, 2009, 12:01:39 AM »
Wow that was embarrassing.  Suppan might be the worst starting pitcher in the majors.

Also, I hate that Julio hit Johnson after making that play.  It was a great defensive play.  You're really going to hit a guy for that?  You hit a guy for watching a home run or in retaliation of a teammate being hit, not for making a great play.

The Brewers literally hand the Cubs 4 runs, the Cubs rob the Brewers of 3 runs (the Brewers still got 2 of those runs in that would have crossed had Prince not been robbed, so 2 from the robbed grand slam and 1 on Hardy's liner to 2nd that would have scored Braun from 2nd).

Could be a long year with the Brewers pitching and low averages from about 75% of the team.

You heard it here first: Cardinals win the division.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #1198 on: April 13, 2009, 12:32:40 AM »
Haha the people who post on si.com's rumor blogs are not very smart.  There's a "rumor" that the Brewers will be tempted to make a run for Peavy towards the deadline (with no sources, no quotes, nothing, just saying they could use him and that Melvin has shown he will spend money and make the big deal...no kidding?  I hear the Brewers are trying to trade for Harden.  They could use a top end starter, and Melvin has proved he will pull a deal even though he is in a small market.)

Didn't I see in the JS that Attanasio said that the team needs to sell more tickets than last year just to break even?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1199 on: April 13, 2009, 07:17:19 AM »
You heard it here first: Cardinals win the division.

If carpenter can stay healthy, they are a very scary team!

feedback