[June 11, 2024, 10:23:42 PM]

Hurley staying! by NCMUFan
[June 11, 2024, 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[June 11, 2024, 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[June 11, 2024, 09:53:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Joseph Fulce sticks with MU and more  (Read 2635 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Joseph Fulce sticks with MU and more
« on: April 16, 2008, 08:00:03 AM »
Joseph Fulce sticks with MU and more

Written by: NY Warrior

"Everything's real good. I'm still going to Marquette," he said. "I'm excited, my family's excited. It's a great place for me, I'm going to get a great Jesuit education."

After a stretch of uncertainty with key recruits in the wake of the Buzz Williams hiring, Todd Rosiak once again puts fans' minds at ease today with a positive update on Joseph Fulce, the 6'6" combo forward from Tyler JC.   Fulce remains an MU commit.

What's more, for the second time in as many days we're hearing from recruits and those close to them about how much they value a Jesuit education . Consider what John Harmatuck, Erik Williams' high school coach, said yesterday to the guys at the SportsBubbler:

“Erik’s parents really value a Jesuit education,” Harmatuk said. “Erik went to a Jesuit school (Strake Jesuit) as a freshman. His parents are very impressed with Marquette as a university, first and foremost.”

Not to mention what the hyper-talented Williams said himself at the SportsBubbler:

"I committed to Marquette because of everything that it stands for and has to offer."

These comments above reflect the kinds of values many traditional students appreciate when they decide to attend Marquette University - -and its good to see future student-athletes recognize and value what differentiates MU.

Oh, by the way ...... Fulce and Williams can play.  Check out this video of Fulce from his high school days in Plano when he led his team to the state title.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2008/04/joseph-fulce-sticks-with-mu-and-more.html

reinko

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Joseph Fulce sticks with MU and more
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 08:01:49 AM »
+1

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 08:06:58 AM »
It looks like Buzz really pushes the quality of a Jesuit Education to the Recruits. As most of us already know the JEsuit philosophy of education is one of the best and really teaches us how to look at the world and formulate our own opinions.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

jos7287

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 08:30:00 AM »
This guy can ball.  Will be interesting to see how much playing time he gets next year.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 09:10:35 AM »
I am a Marqutte High/MU grad.  I believe Jesuits teach you to be critical thinkers and I think this education has been a great asset to me. However, being a critical thinker does not mean you are negative about everything. You look at all the possibilities and make conclusions. Every choice has positives and negatives. Ignoring the negatives is not critical thinking. Ignoring the positives is not critical thinking. There are both positives and negatives about hiring Buzz only time will tell if he was a good hire. We will never know if someone else would have been a better hire as a different hire would have created a different situation.
Results:
Negatives:
Lost Williams, but he was gone no matter who we hired.
Lost Taylor, who may of stayed if they hired a more experienced coach. Given Hurly's attitude Taylor would not have waited three weeks for MU to hire an experience coach.
Lost Christopherson- I think he was gone anyways as he did not have the quickness to play for MU.
Holloway picked Xavier over MU.
Positives:
Kept Fulce- I beleive he would have followed Buzz to Indiana.
Kept Eric Williams, who would have followed Buzz to Indiana.
Kept O'Tule, who may have stayed even without Buzz, but he definately was a Buzz recruit.
Kept James- I always felt James would rather stay than go, but was being pressured by his family to cash in even if it meant going to Europe. Being able to step up when MU rally needed him to do, gave him the opportunity to tell his family to stay out of it. He is motivated, it will be his last year, and he will not have to worry about making the decision his family wants. Barring injury he is going to have a super senior season. Probalby would have stayed for another coach to as I think he is stepping up more for MU than Buzz, but obviously he likes Buzz.
Remember we were over the limit, so we had to lose somebody. Also, Crean was recruiting Holloway and other palyers, so Crean was expecting at least two transfers or players jumping to NBA.
Decisions we are waiting on
McNeal pro decision. If McNeal did not want to play for Buzz he would have already declared. He probably still will test the waters, but I expect him to comeback unless he does really well in tryouts.
Mbakwe-The longer he does not ask for his release the better it looks. Really sounds like he was gone if Crean stayed. Buzz may have been the only coach that would have kept him here.
Hazel at this point I think he is back. I do not know if he was ever considering transferring.
Culliban with Williams and Taylor coming in I think he would have left because of playing time. Culliban stays now because they are not coming.
Butler (hopefully) would be a great pick up. He would not be coming here if Taylor and Williams stayed.
Another bigman-we have an open scholarship.
Assistant coaches
Fall 2008 recruiting class
2008/2009 season results
2009 recruiting class
Then we will know: bad hire, okay hire, great hire

4thAndState

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 09:36:15 AM »
Great analysis bilsu. Pretty much agree with all you've said. Looking at this objectively, it appears there were pluses and minuses with or w/out TC. Buzz has added to the pluses and minuses -- we'll see how it plays out. I believe the x-factors through the next months will be:
 -- A definite decision by Mbakwe on his future. If its with us, that would be a huge keep for BW and settles front line issues
 -- McNeal's NBA decision
 -- If the above works out in our favor, and we are able to add another scoring option (Butler?), we look awful dangerous next year
 -- Otule wil largely be a project next season. If BW can add a late sign contributor (5 pts/5 rebs) at the 5 spot, that would be the cherry on the cake

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 10:18:34 AM »
Am I the only one who saw Fulce for the first time in that video?

Ummmm..... He looked WAY better than I thought he would.  I thought it was just another desperation JUCO sign by Crean (Blackledge, Lott, to name a few), but he looks like he can really ball.  His offensive game looked really polished, and that was just at the high school level.  Glad to have him on board.

4thAndState

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 10:33:09 AM »
Does anyone else think Fulce is a near clone of Reggie Miller? Look, body and game (to a lesser extent).

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 11:05:46 AM »
Does anyone else think Fulce is a near clone of Reggie Miller? Look, body and game (to a lesser extent).

No.  Reggie was a gunner, Fulce is not.  Fulce scores from all over.  Obviously, Reggie was one of the best 3-point shooters of all time too, but I know you didn't mean Fulce will be as good as Miller.

A better comparison is one Puju has made-- Roney Eford.  Jack of all trades.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 11:08:27 AM »

as far as looks yeah as for the rest I highly doubt it but we'll have to wait and see.  He does have a lot going for him though: that fade away is imposible to defend, he releases the ball quicklly and can square his shoulders in the air.  I'm excited about him.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 11:12:37 AM »
Check out the last clip at the end, like around 52 seconds...fades away with 2 guys on him...very nice touch.  I'm pumped!

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 11:28:53 AM »
RawDog and MUMotivasian,

I agree completely.  It looks like he can get his shot off from anywhere with very little breathing room and the swishes are pure.  It's a highlight video, granted, but my expectations were blown away.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 12:02:25 PM »
I told you guys that Fulce could play.....=).

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 01:09:38 PM »
JuCo players do not have to sit out a year, correct? I thought there were some instances where they did have to sit out a year.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 01:25:30 PM »
JuCo players do not have to sit out a year, correct? I thought there were some instances where they did have to sit out a year.

Correct.  Fulce can play at MU right away.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.