Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Assistant Coach? Tyler JuCo's Scott Monarch?  (Read 5859 times)

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
New Assistant Coach? Tyler JuCo's Scott Monarch?
« on: April 15, 2008, 10:37:03 PM »
Per an Iowa State blog that says Tyler Junior College's forward Jimmy Butler will be going to MU...along with their assistant coach Scott Monarch.

Any word on this? Haven't heard anything.

MUViking

• Starter
Re: New Assistant Coach? Tyler JuCo's Scott Monarch?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 10:53:08 PM »
Per an Iowa State blog that says Tyler Junior College's forward Jimmy Butler will be going to MU...along with their assistant coach Scott Monarch.

Monarch has been mentioned often on the Scout board.  It sounds very likely that he'll be part of the staff, although it is unclear if he'll be a full assistant or a director of basketball operations type.  I am hoping he is the DBO.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 11:16:54 PM »
I'd welcome that move. Bringing Butler would be great. Good to know that someone on board is familiar with Buzz's style.
SS Marquette

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 11:43:10 PM »
Here's the blog that I saw:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=efd0109bd6df482c9aaee65bd8af6147&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=efd0109bd6df482c9aaee65bd8af6147&plckPostId=Blog%3aefd0109bd6df482c9aaee65bd8af6147Post%3a367e276d-908b-4e44-b6d8-16d19b1e649d&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest
Pomlee In, What Next?
Posted 4/15/2008 5:34 PM CDT on Des Moines Register
All-State center L.A. Pomlee of Davenport Central made it official today, committing to Iowa State.

The Cyclones have a void in the middle with the departure of senior Juri Hubalek, who made the all-tournament team at last week's Portsmouth Invitational.

Pomlee has a big upside. He's an excellent passer who won't let the ball get stuck inside. His offensive skills need some polish. But he is long and can be a very good shotblocker for Iowa State as well.

Will anyone join him? Iowa State got a campus visit from Tyler Junior College forward Jimmy Butler and his teammate, center Jamie Vanderbeken.

But Butler appears headed to Marquette, where Tyler assistant coach Scott Monarch was hired by new Golden Eagles coach Buzz Williams.

Vanderbeken is down to Iowa State and Connecticut, and could make a decision as soon as Wednesday.

The UNO fans don't have much to say about Monarch
.  So I don't know what to think of him yet.  Agree with Vike though - he doesn't sound like a #1 assistant.  More like #5.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 11:49:29 PM »
Hopefully Monarch will be able to help out in the recruiting area, especially down there in TX, which will allow Buzz to seek out talent elsewhere.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 11:56:24 PM »
I dont want to judge these guys until we see some of the results of our Southwest connections.  This is definitely new territory for MU.   Monarch and Williams go way back. 

I just hope these kids can keep up with the grades.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

bma725

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 12:17:44 AM »
I dont want to judge these guys until we see some of the results of our Southwest connections.  This is definitely new territory for MU.   Monarch and Williams go way back. 

Both Fulce and Butler(if he's coming) aren't at JUCOs because of grades, they were both qualifiers out of high school.  They chose roll the dice and go to the JUCO in hopes of getting a scholarship offer from a better school instead of accepting a scholarship offer from a low or mid major. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 12:42:32 AM »

Both Fulce and Butler(if he's coming) aren't at JUCOs because of grades, they were both qualifiers out of high school.  They chose roll the dice and go to the JUCO in hopes of getting a scholarship offer from a better school instead of accepting a scholarship offer from a low or mid major. 

What I've read is that in Butler's case he planned and possibly even verbaled to Mississippi State, but there was a scholarship situation (i.e. too many players, not enough scholies) so he decided to spend a year in JUCO. Mississippi State and Iowa State are the schools he's now looking at along with MU. He has three years' eligibility.

In Fulce's case, he committed to Texas A&M after high school, but didn't qualify and went to prep school instead. He then committed to (and qualified for) New Orleans but when Buzz left decided to go to Tyler instead. He also has three years' eligibility.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 07:01:39 AM »

What I've read is that in Butler's case he planned and possibly even verbaled to Mississippi State, but there was a scholarship situation (i.e. too many players, not enough scholies) so he decided to spend a year in JUCO. Mississippi State and Iowa State are the schools he's now looking at along with MU. He has three years' eligibility.

In Fulce's case, he committed to Texas A&M after high school, but didn't qualify and went to prep school instead. He then committed to (and qualified for) New Orleans but when Buzz left decided to go to Tyler instead. He also has three years' eligibility.

Iowa State is out for Butler.  They used up all their scholarships yesterday.

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 07:17:14 AM »

Actually, Butler was a qualifier out of high school, but Fulce wasn't and then went prep for a year.  After the prep year, he qualified, but decided to go JUCO for a year.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 07:21:14 AM »
If this is true, it looks like we're getting a jump on things by having Buzz Williams' successor on the staff already.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 07:25:24 AM »
If this is true, it looks like we're getting a jump on things by having Buzz Williams' successor on the staff already.
Rats!  I'm an MU grad and my 8th grade team took 3rd place in a ten team league in the very prestigious Stratford, CT Sterling House League, despite having what was clearly only 4th place talent.  I thought I was next in line.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 07:41:05 AM »

I'd take it.......Monarch was with Buzz at UNO too

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 08:18:14 AM »
Iowa State is out for Butler.  They used up all their scholarships yesterday.

an iowa state site reports that Vanderbeken is headed there.......per a comment on his Facebook page.

Ah, modern recruiting

Norm

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 08:47:28 AM »
Monarch's bio from his days at New Orleans:

(like Crean and Williams, no playing experience)

Courtesy: UNOPrivateers.com
Release: 05/06/2007

Two of the traits UNO head coach Buzz Williams was looking for when putting together his first-ever staff was head coaching experience and success.

Scott Monarch has both and then some.

Monarch will begin his first season on the Lakefront after five seasons as the head coach at Panola College.

There, Monarch was the winningest coach in school history and put together a 63 percent winning percentage.

At UNO, Monarch will be the program’s recruiting coordinator -- a role he is very familiar with.

While coaching in the junior college ranks, Monarch signed numerous standouts who signed with Division I schools and also tasted professional success.

“Scott’s passion and enthusiasm is contagious,” Williams said. “He has experienced just about everything you can experience in basketball, and we will certainly be able to draw on that as we face different situations.”

Monarch, a native of Owensboro, Ky., was named the 2003 NJCAA Region XIV Coach of the Year after leading the Ponies to the ’03 regular season conference championship.

He successfully recruited 30 players that went on to sign Division I scholarships and helped guide a program that finished in the top five in the nation in scoring in all of his six seasons.

Monarch, who received his master’s degree from Baylor in 1991 after earning his undergraduate degree from Mississippi Valley State in 1986, has also served as an associate head coach at Tennessee State (1999-2000) and Kentucky Wesleyan (’96-98).

At Kentucky Wesleyan, Monarch was part of a program that reached the 1998 NCAA Division II national championship game. He also recruited and helped develop four players who would later be first-team All-Americans. Two of those standouts became National Players of the Year.

This will be Monarch’s third stint with a Division I school. Along with Tennessee State, Monarch served as an assistant coach at Grambling State in 1998-99.

He started his career at Navarro College in 1993 and coached there for three seasons. He then went on to spend three seasons at McLennan Community College.

Monarch is married to the former Stephanie Peters of Bogalusa, La., and the couple lives in Covington.