Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Fulce checks in  (Read 4028 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Fulce checks in
« on: April 15, 2008, 10:15:03 PM »
Fulce checks in

Written by: Todd Rosiak

Considering how long Joseph Fulce and Buzz Williams have known each other, it doesn't come as much of a surprise that the 6-foot-7 wing from Tyler Junior College remains on board with his commitment to MU.

"Everything's real good. I'm still going to Marquette," he said. "I'm excited, my family's excited. It's a great place for me, I'm going to get a great Jesuit education.

"Look at my relationship with Buzz -- I've known him for a long time. I've known him for about seven years now. It's just one of those things where I've got his back just like he's got ours. I'm still standing next to him."

This season, Fulce averaged 16.7 points and 13.2 rebounds per game -- second in the nation in the NJCAA -- while shooting 55.1% overall, 43.4% from three-point range and 73.5% from the free-throw line for a Tyler team that finished 25-4.

Fulce said initially he was surprised by Tom Crean's decision to leave MU for Indiana.

"Of course I was disappointed about it but at the same time, I signed with Marquette for Marquette, not for Tom Crean," Fulce said. "That's just how I kind of looked at it. I realized that there was a business aspect in the whole situation, and I've been through it before. When I signed I knew there was a possibility that could happen."

When asked what stuck out most about Williams, Fulce mentioned his straightforward nature. 

"He doesn't tell you what you want to hear," said Fulce. "A lot of players in the recruiting game, they get sucked into the coach telling them everything they want to hear and stuff like that. Buzz isn't that type of coach. He cares as much about you as a person as a player. That's what I think separates him from everybody else.

"Coaching-wise, he has a good eye for the game."

Fulce's roommate at Tyler, Jimmy Butler, is being mentioned as a possible addition at MU should there be any more roster attrition. Butler recently completed a visit to Mississippi State, and is a hot prospect after leading Tyler in scoring at 18.2 points per game and pouring in 43 in the Apaches' season-ending, triple-overtime loss to Panola College on March 8.

"I heard (MU) might be interested in him. He has a lot of schools on his plate right now and he's just trying to figure out what he's going to do for himself," said Fulce. "He's one of those players that teams need in crunch time. He can play the 3 and the 4 for about 75 percent of the game, and then in the last 2-3 minutes of the game, crunch time, he'll play point and he'll finish it out for you."

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/04/15/fulce-checks-in.aspx

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Fulce checks in
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 10:21:53 PM »
Welcome aboard...great to hear a kid sign with a school, and not a coach.  Doesn't always happen that way.

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 10:31:50 PM »
Welcome aboard...great to hear a kid sign with a school, and not a coach.  Doesn't always happen that way.

Make no mistake... it was Buzz who brought Fulce here, though.

I have been very impressed today hearing two kids (Fulce and Erik Williams) say they are happy about the chance at a Jesuit education.  Even saying that tells me they are looking beyond just basketball, which is what we want.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 10:34:38 PM »
"He doesn't tell you what you want to hear," said Fulce. "A lot of players in the recruiting game, they get sucked into the coach telling them everything they want to hear and stuff like that. Buzz isn't that type of coach. He cares as much about you as a person as a player. That's what I think separates him from everybody else.

Can we get Fulce to join Buzz on recruiting trips? And while we're at it, can DJ be the third wheel?

Good to hear from a Buzz reecruit.

I hope Butler sees the possibility of seeing immediate playing time. What a great  bench player to back up then eventually replace Matthews!
SS Marquette

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 10:38:01 PM »

Make no mistake... it was Buzz who brought Fulce here, though.

I have been very impressed today hearing two kids (Fulce and Erik Williams) say they are happy about the chance at a Jesuit education.  Even saying that tells me they are looking beyond just basketball, which is what we want.

That says to me that Buzz is selling / mentioning the Jesuit concept a lot in his recruiting visits.  Which I think can only be a good thing.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 10:40:07 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but I for one and very excited about the ginormous chip DJ will have on his shoulder all next season. He's going to be on a mission.

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 10:51:50 PM »

Can we get Fulce to join Buzz on recruiting trips? And while we're at it, can DJ be the third wheel?

Good to hear from a Buzz reecruit.

I hope Butler sees the possibility of seeing immediate playing time. What a great  bench player to back up then eventually replace Matthews!

I've seen Fulce and Butler play and both are very good recruits.  I like Fulce more, but Butler would be an excellent late pickup.  Buzz definitely has an eye for talent.

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 10:59:16 PM »
Hey Viking -- Can Butler at least be a back up at the point after the Amigos go?
I'm thinking of Butler as a big version of Matthew with more offense, less D right now.

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 11:07:04 PM »
Hey Viking -- Can Butler at least be a back up at the point after the Amigos go?
I'm thinking of Butler as a big version of Matthew with more offense, less D right now.

Can play some point, yes.  I'd say he's better suited at the 2 and 3, but I think he might be able to play point some as well.  Hard to know for sure, as Tyler used him as a primary scorer and not a PG, as they had a pretty good one in Randall Hampton.  Matthews is a very poor comparison, as Matthews is way more built than Butler.  Butler is pretty rangy/borderline thin, but it doesn't affect his game much. 

Butler is a straight up scorer.  Would be an excellent weapon off the bench.  Can shoot it from deep but also is athletic enough to create his own shot.  He was pretty saavy at creating near the hoop too, and although only about a 70% FT shooter on the season, hit some crucial FTs at the end of regulation and the 1st OT in the game I watched.

Honestly, it is hard to get a full assessment on these JUCO guys because everything is very fast paced and offense-oriented.  Defense, for example, is hard to gauge because Tyler played exclusively zone.  It was pretty easy to see, though, that both Fulce and Butler are "ballas," as the kids say.  I also like that they are 3 year D1 players!

I like Vanderbeken too.  He would have been a solid late pickup.  He is pretty fleet of foot and has good skill for a big.  He's better offensively than any current MU big.  Is pretty thin and wouldn't be able to effectively guard the DeJuan Blairs of the conference.  I still think he would have gotten minutes and could have been a weapon with guards like we have passing to him.  He is Iowa State bound, though.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 11:11:09 PM by MUViking »

mviale

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 11:16:04 PM »
Jesuit education is no joke.  That is our ace in the hole. 
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

chapman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 12:08:21 AM »
Assuming Butler is also coming, the 3-4 looks pretty good for us for the next few years.  Matthews (next year at least), Hayward, Fulce, Butler, Erik Williams, maybe even some Mbakwe at the 4.  Didn't think I'd say this three weeks ago, but we need guards.  Assuming Taylor isn't coming, there's still at least one roster spot open and there's no point in banking a scholarship with at least three more spots still open for next year.  Ideally we get a guard into the system right away and add one or two more along with a big for '09.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 12:50:56 AM »
Just from Fulce's remarks, it pretty obvious that Buzz was the impact.  In all honesty, I think there was little question as to Buzz's recruiting ability.  I honestly think that if our three studs come back (only one in question), we will have a good season.  I will really question Buzz's coaching if we can not make the tourney next season.  Erik Williams is a HUGE lift and if he can develop some of the bigs I will feel really happy with the situation.  Success brings success.

We talk about the Drakes' and the Davidsons' but imagine this. 
-Buzz, questionable hire but has that something that separates him from other recruiters.
-Buzz takes his team in his first year to the (REACH) third round and actually shows some coaching ability.  NOW, we have the "hot" coach.
-Buzz has the "buzz" and can recruit EVEN BETTER.  We can then start becoming a team that does not "rebuild" but "reloads".  And constantly get two four-stars coming in a year or (god forbid) a five star. 
-We are in the BIG EAST, the competition is crazy but its good because we have great teams and are on TV a bunch, great for big timers.

Alot of ifs there but with our senior class with good potiential next year and Buzz's recruiting ability, good things made come. 
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 06:56:31 AM »
wonder how all this 'got our back' sentiment will linger when Buzz realizes he's the HEAD coach and has to discipline, reign in, sit guys, etc.
Homer had an interesting interview with Majerus on the topic-
Rick said, that Buzz was in that position as assistant and recruiter to be the guy that the players went to--- their point-- their voice, etc.  A real players coach and advocate.
As a HC, you've got run the program and consider all that, but still separate from that former role-

what's a brooding young man going to think/do the first time their coach/bro', as HC, sits 'em or suspends 'em or the like?

might be a hard transition for a guy like Buzz who is seen so personable, etc. to become the head pr*ck at times....

with that said, let's see what Mr. Fulce can do!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 07:09:49 AM »
I hope we get Butler. But I see him as McNeal's replacement. I think Fulce is a small forward who is Matthews' replacement. If he is better at the four than Hayward moves to the three. After this year there will be no more three guard, two forward lineups. Come to think of it, I will no longer be irritated by Barro being annouced as a forward. The guy played center and had absolutely no forward skills. He could not shoot outside of 1/2' and they insisted calling him a forward.

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 07:15:34 AM »
Assuming Butler is also coming, the 3-4 looks pretty good for us for the next few years.  Matthews (next year at least), Hayward, Fulce, Butler, Erik Williams, maybe even some Mbakwe at the 4.  Didn't think I'd say this three weeks ago, but we need guards.  Assuming Taylor isn't coming, there's still at least one roster spot open and there's no point in banking a scholarship with at least three more spots still open for next year.  Ideally we get a guard into the system right away and add one or two more along with a big for '09.

Actually, I wouldn't expect Butler to play the 4.  I was surprised to see Joe Fulce say that.  Maybe at the JUCO level he could a little, but Butler is a wing at D1 level.  He's 6'5" or 6'6" and slender.  If anything, Butler is more of a guard than Fulce.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 07:19:52 AM »
After this year there will be no more three guard, two forward lineups. Come to think of it, I will no longer be irritated by Barro being annouced as a forward. The guy played center and had absolutely no forward skills. He could not shoot outside of 1/2' and they insisted calling him a forward.

The position in basketball have really been redefined over the years.  Instead of two all-purpose guards, two all-purpose forwards and a center, the current thinking of an ideal lineup is a PG, two wings and two interior guys.  There is a general trend, particularly in college, to just have five guys who can all play and are versatile.  Makes for a better game, IMO.

Last year, we generally had a PG, three wings and one interior guy.  The key is to transition one of those wings into an interior guy, hopefully one who can command a double team in the low box because he has some offensive prowess.  I understand Hayward can cause some matchup problems at the 4, but I think we suffer more for it on defense than we gain on offense, particularly since our interior guy was never a post up scorer.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 07:25:50 AM »
Why did you choose Marquette for Marquette, when you hadn't even visited the school prior to making the decision? 

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 08:36:34 AM »
Why did you choose Marquette for Marquette, when you hadn't even visited the school prior to making the decision? 

I hear the folks in Admissions have designed a great brochure.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

tonyreeder

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 08:56:31 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but I for one and very excited about the ginormous chip DJ will have on his shoulder all next season. He's going to be on a mission.

Will he be giving 110%?  I don't really care what well worn cliche you want to use but I'll be more excited if he shows up and can consistently hit a jumpshot.

feedback