[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "Our" man Gery Woelfel weighs in on Buzz hiring  (Read 10112 times)

MUSF

• All American
Re: "Our" man Gary Woelfel weighs in on Buzz hiring
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 10:52:02 AM »
Woeful is mostly right although he clearly has it in for MU.  Regarding Bennett, of all thwe people I know - boosters, former players,and other close to the program - the first and only time I have heard that Bennett hates Bo wass from Chico, an MU grad know for vicious partisanship who lives in Cali.

Tony worked for Bo without any issues.  He wants to follow in hs dad's footsteps at UW. 

Pat Richter told Homer that just last week on the radio.  But I am sure Chico knows more about it than Richter.

Let me get this straight. We shouldn't trust Chico whom we know has worked in MU athletic department and at IU because he is, "known for vicious patisanship," and (gasp!) lives in Cali. However, we should trust a guy who calls himself ButchBadger, claims Crean violated NCAA rules, provides no proof for his accusations, can't say a bad word about Bo Ryan or UW, but claims to have great respect for MU and good contacts inside both schools.

Do you have any land in Florida to sell us?

butchbadger

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 11:11:45 AM »
More name calling.   You guys are nice fellows.  :-\   My catholic upbringing didn't teach me to call people asses, pompous, or idiots if I simply disagreed with them, but to each his own.

I'll take the bet but I'll need odds. A lot can happen in the next 5-10 years. My point is that even if Dick does hate Bo, would he stifle his son's career if Bo retired or died?  He hangs around the program all the time still so it can't be that bitter.

Thank you for the B10 network.  The HD is simply outstanding. I was even mesmerized by a women's soccer game in Evanston it looked so pretty ;).  Now that Gumbel is gone Direct TV is still the only way to watch televison.  I pity those who miss out - especially Badger fans who bitch about it and won't make a simple, yet beneficial switch.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2008, 11:17:08 AM »
More name calling.   You guys are nice fellows.  :-\   My catholic upbringing didn't teach me to call people asses, pompous, or idiots if I simply disagreed with them, but to each his own.

I'll take the bet but I'll need odds. A lot can happen in the next 5-10 years. My point is that even if Dick does hate Bo, would he stifle his son's career if Bo retired or died?  He hangs around the program all the time still so it can't be that bitter.

Thank you for the B10 network.  The HD is simply outstanding. I was even mesmerized by a women's soccer game in Evanston it looked so pretty ;).  Now that Gumbel is gone Direct TV is still the only way to watch televison.  I pity those who miss out - especially Badger fans who bitch about it and won't make a simple, yet beneficial switch.

Wow, your Catholic upbringing didn't teach you that yet you've had no problem with similar name calling on the Badger boards....further more you've had no problem leveling accusations of cheating against someone (was that part of your Catholic upbringing too?).  What a hypocrite you are.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 11:19:02 AM »

Don't try and take the high road here and then ride the low road in the Badgers forum. You're still calling us names; just not to our face.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2008, 11:20:35 AM »

I didn't see any name calling in this thread but you can read into it what you want.

Must be tough up on that cross. :-\
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 06:49:51 PM by MUSF »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2008, 11:52:03 AM »
Usually I like to call MUScoop a Woeful free zone.  However, since he's no more negative (today) than at least half our posters, I guess I'll let this one slide.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2008, 11:53:29 AM »
there's a reason Gery is still working in Racine. Small-town hack.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2008, 12:23:43 PM »
hmmm, Woefull=Butchbaajr???

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2008, 01:19:52 PM »
Neither I nor Rican or DKCL are Woelfel. But, I'm virtually sure Ziggy is your man.

Dude.  Dude.   >:(

🏀

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2008, 01:43:25 PM »
I think I found butchbadger in his nipple panties!

Warhawk Warrior

• Scholarship Player
Re: "Our" man Gery Woelfel weighs in on Buzz hiring
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2008, 01:49:26 PM »
This is another article written by someone who was always picked last in pickup games as a kid.  His name "Woeful" fits him like a glove.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2008, 01:54:49 PM »
Woeful sucks on so many levels it's not funny. His article has some truths to it and some inaccuracies, pretty much par for the course.  On the other hand, his thoughts have been expressed by other writers not stuck in Racine but with national reach and that's not something to feel good about.

I hope Buzz proves them all wrong.

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2008, 05:39:27 PM »
Marc Marotta??  Seriously??  That is who should have been consulted in hiring a head coach??  Wow!!

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2008, 08:15:02 PM »
Marc Marotta??  Seriously??  That is who should have been consulted in hiring a head coach??  Wow!!

I was thinking the same thing.  I respect the tradition of the players that have put in their blood, sweat and tears for MU, but how much knowledge of the current college coaching scene can guys like Marotta and Brian Brunkhorst have?  Calling Hank?
Ludum habemus.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2008, 09:35:48 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.  I respect the tradition of the players that have put in their blood, sweat and tears for MU, but how much knowledge of the current college coaching scene can guys like Marotta and Brian Brunkhorst have?  Calling Hank?

My guess is they are probably the only two people affiliated with MU that will give Woeful the time of day. So, he strokes them off publicly while dumping on MU.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2008, 10:04:25 PM »
I have no beef with the 6 year contract. I'm sure MU's AD will always be looking elsewhere for a suitable replacement if the program shows signs of faltering.

On a more positive note, the 6 year contract HELPS with recruiting as it shows the university's commitment to Buzz. (Though the word "commitment" is really defined by university.)
SS Marquette

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2008, 10:16:32 PM »
Wasn't Marotta involved in some shady political dealings?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2008, 11:20:36 PM »
Granted, I agree with a lot his sentiments, but Woelfel is a snake in the grass. 

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

augoman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2008, 12:47:40 AM »
Wasn't Marotta involved in some shady political dealings?

he was the guy behind WI governor's 'pay for state contract' scandal.  ordered contract be re-awarded when doyle contributor didn't get award first time thru- got it the second time, in spite of higher pricing.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2008, 07:13:00 AM »
Woelfel makes solid points here.  I have no idea how good Buzz Williams is going to be, nor does anyone else.  And we have less of an idea about him than we would have about Weber or Grant or Lowery or whatever other names were out there.

That is the biggest problem.  Buzz Williams may indeed be the best man for a coaching job, but this job is going to be a lot more difficult for him than it would be for someone with a defineable resume.  He's going to have to be much better than many of those other potential candidates would have had to be just to be as good, because it has got to be harder for him to recruit with his lack of history.  If I'm a recruit going to play for Buzz Williams I really have no idea what I'm getting myself into.  Couple that with the fact that we have no idea if he can, you know, actually prepare a team or coach a game, and you can understand the fan's uneasiness with the hire.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.