'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "Our" man Gery Woelfel weighs in on Buzz hiring  (Read 10110 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
"Our" man Gery Woelfel weighs in on Buzz hiring
« on: April 15, 2008, 07:40:30 AM »
http://www.journaltimes.com/articles/2008/04/15/local_sports/doc4804395a907de008679141.txt

GERY WOELFEL: MU shoots air ball in hiring of Williams
BY GERY WOELFEL
Journal Times
Tuesday, April 15, 2008 12:13 AM CDT

If you are a Marquette University men’s basketball follower, you shouldn’t have been startled that Brent “Buzz” Williams was promoted as the “Warriors” new head coach.

By all accounts, virtually the same geniuses who anointed Williams as Tom Crean’s successor were the same geniuses who tried to shove down the collective throats of the MU community that wonderful nickname “Gold.”

Some other Marquette musings:

* I met Williams once several months ago and he projected an easy-going, congenial demeanor. So, based on first impressions, I’m happy the guy was able to quadruple his salary.

However, what were the aforementioned “geniuses” thinking when they gave Williams a six-year contract? Six-year contracts are reserved for coaches with impeccable credentials. They are reserved for coaches who have NCAA Tournament wins on their resume.

But Williams’ only head coaching experience was compiling an unimpressive 14-17 record at that basketball hotbed known as the University of New Orleans.

Nothing against Williams, but it’s hard to fathom any major college basketball program would have hired him as its head coach — much less given him such a lengthy contract.

* If you believe Indiana University contacted Crean to be its new coach, and not vice versa, you are certainly entitled to that opinion.

That opinion, however, isn’t shared by me. Ever since the “Warriors” went to the Final Four, Crean has quietly explored moving on to another school, starting with intense interest in the Illinois job that went to Bruce Weber.

* Some big-time MU boosters were convinced that if the “geniuses” had applied a full-court press on Washington State coach Tony Bennett — Dick’s kid — he would have relocated to Milwaukee.

I totally disagree. The only way Bennett, whom I consider with Georgetown’s John Thompson III as the best young college coaches in the U.S. of A., will be coming back to the Badger State is to replace Badgers coach Bo Ryan.

* There were a lot of pleasantries exchanged when Crean met with the Marquette players to tell him he was catching the first flight out of Milwaukee for Bloomington, Ind.

There were, I’ve been told, a lot of unpleasantries exchanged as well.

* While Crean and yours truly haven’t been on the same page, much less the same chapter on a lot of issues during his tenure at Marquette, there were many things I truly admired about him.

The guy is a workaholic, constantly trying to better himself as a coach. To wit: I was covering a Milwaukee Bucks’ game at the Bradley Center earlier this season, sitting next to Rudy Tomjanovich, who coached the Houston Rockets to two NBA titles.

During the game, Crean, who was there as a fan, noticed Tomjanovich and came over and spent several minutes picking Rudy T’s brain on how to run a specific play.

* While “WarriorsNation” wasn’t happy about Crean’s stealth departure, say this for the man: He didn’t leave the cupboard bare for his successor.

Dominic James, Jerel McNeal and Wesley Matthews will all be back next season, and you’d be hard pressed to find a better triumvirate of collegiate guards.

What Crean didn’t leave Williams was a bona-fide interior player.

* Crean is easily one of college basketball’s best salesmen. He did an absolutely remarkable job of resurrecting a dead Marquette program.

Crean has also done a splendid job of self-promotion. When you can convince so-called basketball experts like ESPN’s Jay Bilas into calling you a “great coach,” you’ve done the job.

The fact of the matter is Crean is a good coach. Since going to the Final Four five years ago, thanks in large measure to Dwayne Wade, Crean’s Marquette teams have advanced beyond the first round of the NCAA Tournament just one time and that was this year, when the “Warriors” were eliminated in the second round. Two years in that five-year span, MU didn’t even go to the NCAA tournament.

That hardly constitutes a “great coach.”

* There are few tougher jobs than being the athletic director at Marquette — as Steve Cottingham is quickly discovering.

But Cottingham didn’t help himself by refusing to conduct a more deliberate and extensive coaching search. MU fans, as supportive and passionate of a crew as you’ll find, deserved better.

What’s more, MU fans wanted to know the people — besides Marquette President Rev. Robert A. Wild and Cottingham — who were the decision-makers. Yet, when I tried to acquire that info from Cottingham last week, he lamely refused to divulge the other “geniuses.”

Contrast MU’s bungling of that hiring with the Bucks’ recent extensive and thorough search for a GM. Furthermore, when Bucks owner Herb Kohl was asked to name the individuals involved in the search, he willingly named each and every one of them.

* I’ve been told by some prominent and well-connected MU boosters that Cottingham and Co. didn’t even enlist the advice of former MU players Marc Marotta or Brian Brunkhorst, who have unfailingly tried to assist the MU program over the years and who know more about the college landscape than all of the “geniuses” combined. If that was indeed the case, shame on Cottingham and Wild.

On the plus side, Wild had to be elated that Cottingham stayed well under the budget in hiring Williams.

Gery Woelfel is a sports reporter for The Journal Times. Gery can be reached by calling (262) 634-3322, Ext. 322, or by e-mail at gery.woelfel@lee.net Gery’s “Woelfel World of Sports” blogs can be read at www.journaltimes.com
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 12:24:22 PM by Sir Lawrence »
Ludum habemus.

PuertoRicanNightmare

Re: "Our" man Gary Woelfel weighs in on Buzz hiring
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 07:45:39 AM »
I don't know if he's got some of the facts right in that piece, but it's hard to argue with a single word of it.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 07:52:53 AM »
Good grief, is there ever anything good written in the media about the MU program.  Over the past weeks, it has been brutal, whether it be Buzz' resume, recruits de-committing, players leaving, getting hosed by high school coaches, the weather....  It is getting real depressing and Buzz needs to create a buzz and sign some 2009 athletes.  Or at least put his staff in place and get going.   

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 08:00:38 AM »
Good grief, is there ever anything good written in the media about the MU program.  Over the past weeks, it has been brutal, whether it be Buzz' resume, recruits de-committing, players leaving, getting hosed by high school coaches, the weather....  It is getting real depressing and Buzz needs to create a buzz and sign some 2009 athletes.  Or at least put his staff in place and get going.   

Have you considered that everything written about the MU program at this point is accurate?

I'm trying to think....when did Marquette have an opportunity to create a "buzz" within the community and the program/fanbase? Was there a significant chance recently for them to show everybody how committed they were?

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 08:02:51 AM »

Get used to it. This will be the theme for the next 6 months. It's fine to be positive and fine to be optimistic but the reality of the situation is we have a coach who very well could be in well over his head and unfortunately that won't be known until it's too late. Media will pounce on that as its an easy storyline.

The other interesting note is the Bennett/Ryan/UW issue. It seems there are two camps: Bennett will only leave WSU for Bucky; and, the Bennetts despise Ryan and have ill feelings toward the UW. I'm not sure if one group is talking out of their ass or if the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

butchbadger

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 08:12:15 AM »
Woeful is mostly right although he clearly has it in for MU.  Regarding Bennett, of all thwe people I know - boosters, former players,and other close to the program - the first and only time I have heard that Bennett hates Bo wass from Chico, an MU grad know for vicious partisanship who lives in Cali.

Tony worked for Bo without any issues.  He wants to follow in hs dad's footsteps at UW. 

Pat Richter told Homer that just last week on the radio.  But I am sure Chico knows more about it than Richter.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 08:23:15 AM »
PRN, I agree with you in the fact the article, along with others is accurate and concise.  We will also have to put up with the negative media aspect until the season begins and see how the new coach, well actually coaches. If that doesn't work out too well, then it will escalate to proportions never experienced before.

I would just like to see Buzz hire an experienced staff soon (why is this taking so long?) and maybe, just maybe get another verbal committment from a 2009 prospect.  Need a thread of light here.   

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 08:30:16 AM »
If people think its bad now, just think what it will be like should an injury beset one of the big three or Lazar, or if the team doesn't make the NCAA or has an early exit. Those of us that typify this blog will be going friggin nuts and PRN will need to be medicated...along with me.

If MU doesn't/didn't want the negative pub, they wouldn't have made such a bone-headed hire. I'm really really fearful of the long-term ramifications of this short-term decision.

Oh well, at least we got all four, three, two of our top recruits coming back next year. Everyone raise a glass to "continuity"!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 08:44:32 AM »
Good God Gery is a smug guy isn't he?

I'm not going to give MU a free pass of some of the mistakes... but let's also keep in mind that these same "geniuses" that Gery is blasting have MU at an all time high in enrollment, applications, donations, new buildings, new athletic facility, new/bigger conference, new soccer stadium, etc.

Now, I'm not saying MU is perfect, but certainly there is somebody over there doing something right. I don't think MU has just gotten "lucky" in all of these situations.

Gery, stick to ripping the Bucks and leave the MU stuff to Rosiak... he actually reports the news/facts.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 08:56:16 AM »
The only thing i can disagree with is his mention of the 6 year contract.  It is pretty standard, and probably backloaded anyway.

There are a lot of nice new shiny things at MU, yes 2002mualum, but the reason they are there is because of the basketball program.  Since the 2003 final four run all of those things have happened to MU.

I want the program to do well, but honestly, the Admin shortchanged itself and its fans here.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 09:06:07 AM »
The only thing i can disagree with is his mention of the 6 year contract.  It is pretty standard, and probably backloaded anyway.

There are a lot of nice new shiny things at MU, yes 2002mualum, but the reason they are there is because of the basketball program.  Since the 2003 final four run all of those things have happened to MU.

I want the program to do well, but honestly, the Admin shortchanged itself and its fans here.

I know what you mean... I guess I'm just trying to remain optimistic.

I hate when people just blast away at a person or company for mistakes, without really taking into account all of the things that are going well.

MU isn't perfect, but there are some good things going on.

I don't think that MU just fell into it's recent successes. If that was truly the case, then the same thing could be said for UW, or any other school who has had an athletic renaissance that carried over into increased success and visibility for the school.

The final 4 run started it... the MU administration has done a pretty good job capitalizing on it (not a perfect job, but pretty good).

I don't think Buzz was a sexy hire... but maybe he'll turn out to be fantastic... maybe the admin. really does know what they are doing (crossing my fingers)

In either case, Gery will still rip MU, because its always easier to right an highly critical column than a highly accurate one.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 09:12:19 AM »
Most columnists now a days jsut write angry becasue the job of Newspaper Columnist is going the way of the dodo.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 09:20:35 AM »
This is the best news we've heard in a week. If Gery hates the move, then it's probably a good move. Remember, this is the guy who said Wade was going pro after his first season because he was flunking out of school. The guy who said Tom Crean had accepted the Illinois job. The guy who took shots at MU when future sex offender Marcettus McGee chose UW instead.   The guy who said DJ should stay in the draft last year.

He's kind of like George Costanza in "The Opposite" episode. When he says something is good, it's bad. When he says it's bad, it's good.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 09:31:13 AM »
"Hello, my name is Gery, I'm bald, I'm unemployed and I live with my parents"
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 09:32:51 AM »
'02 Alum, while I admire your optimism, trends have shown that when an athletic team does well, the perception of the school also increases. And, by keeping the athletic team in the limelight, you are also putting the school in the limelight. Watching a game is a like a two hour commercial for the school. You may now know of all the school has to offer, but it strongly affects the brand awareness of the school.

If the team suddenly goes in the tank and isn't on TV much, admissions, donations, and reputation will decrease. Fair or not, 'dems da facts.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 09:40:19 AM »
As someone who used to work at the University, MU saw record-setting freshman classes in 2001, and 2002...obvioulsy the Final Four run helped after that...but to only give credit because of basketball sucess is short sighted

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 09:40:30 AM »
This is the best news we've heard in a week. If Gery hates the move, then it's probably a good move. Remember, this is the guy who said Wade was going pro after his first season because he was flunking out of school. The guy who said Tom Crean had accepted the Illinois job. The guy who took shots at MU when future sex offender Marcettus McGee chose UW instead.   The guy who said DJ should stay in the draft last year.

He's kind of like George Costanza in "The Opposite" episode. When he says something is good, it's bad. When he says it's bad, it's good.

Not to mention when you are a sports writing in the Milwaukee area covering Marquette basketball you should probably know how to spell Dwyane Wade's name.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 10:08:11 AM »
'02 Alum, while I admire your optimism, trends have shown that when an athletic team does well, the perception of the school also increases. And, by keeping the athletic team in the limelight, you are also putting the school in the limelight. Watching a game is a like a two hour commercial for the school. You may now know of all the school has to offer, but it strongly affects the brand awareness of the school.

If the team suddenly goes in the tank and isn't on TV much, admissions, donations, and reputation will decrease. Fair or not, 'dems da facts.

I agree with you completely, actually.

Basketball is the best marketing tool that MU has, and I would say that MU has done a pretty good job "striking while the iron is hot" (to use a bad cliche) and capitalized on the success of the hoops team.

However, I don't think that Tom Crean is single-handedly the reason why enrollment is up, applications are up, donations are up, etc.

I think he contributed to the success of the basketball program that helped MU gain some limelight. But, I also think MU did a good job promoting itself and capitalizing on the hoops team's success.

If you remove Tom Crean from the equation, I'm certainly skeptical and nervous... however I have to think that SOMEBODY at MU knows what they are doing.

It's not like MU just fell ass backwards into a giant pile of money. Crean was hired by MU, and then given the support to be successful. There are some smart people at MU, and hopefully they have made the right call with Buzz.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 10:09:21 AM »
Woelfel contributes to this board.....I'd bet my house on it.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 10:13:43 AM »
Most columnists now a days jsut write angry becasue the job of Newspaper Columnist is going the way of the dodo.

I agree.

Actually, a much more interesting column would have been to compare all of MU's "good moves" vs the "bad moves" and examine why the school/admin seems to hit some home runs (Big East, The Al, high apps, new library, dental school, soccer stadium) but also lay some complete eggs (nickname x2, the original Wisconsin Ave. commons project, losing the wrestling program, etc.)

I realize that some of this would fall outside of the realm of sports, but it would be a more interesting examination of the school and it's decisions and/or decision making process.

But, that would require some thought, research and insight.

It's much easier to just take your biases and spill them out in the paper and call it a "column".

I mean, honestly, that column wouldn't even be considered a good blog because it doesn't really contain much fact or insight. It's pretty much just a rant.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 10:16:21 AM by 2002mualum »

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 10:13:58 AM »
http://www.journaltimes.com/articles/2008/04/02/local_sports/doc47f315649fb77755796281.txt
AROUND THE HORN: I’ll be SHOCKED if guard Dominic James returns to Marquette for another season. ...
I thought this guy had died and gone away. You can see above that he was wrong on Dominic James as well. The problem with guys like him are they are never positive.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 10:14:47 AM »
Neither I nor Rican or DKCL are Woelfel. But, I'm virtually sure Ziggy is your man.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 10:15:56 AM »
Woeful is mostly right although he clearly has it in for MU.  Regarding Bennett, of all thwe people I know - boosters, former players,and other close to the program - the first and only time I have heard that Bennett hates Bo wass from Chico, an MU grad know for vicious partisanship who lives in Cali.

Tony worked for Bo without any issues.  He wants to follow in hs dad's footsteps at UW. 

Pat Richter told Homer that just last week on the radio.  But I am sure Chico knows more about it than Richter.

Butchbadger, I'd tell you how I know about Tony and Dick but it's better that I don't.

As "connected" as you are, you should know the answer so it proves as I thought, you aren't that connected at all.

I'd take that bet right now that Bennett will NOT succeed Bo Ryan as head coach of Wisconsin.  Absolutely cold stone lock bet....you up for it?  If Dick is still alive, it isn't happening.  If Dick is deceased by then, the odds would increase slightly.

Pat Richter was a great AD (other than hiring Stu who cheated his ass off).  Pat is wrong on this one.

And what does it matter if I'm in California or not....how do you think the Big Ten Network started you idiot?  From those of us over here in California....ever look to see who owns it?  Ever see who started it?  Ever thing some of us greatly involved in it talk to a few fellow Big Ten insiders from time to time? 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 10:32:24 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008, 10:17:50 AM »
This is the best news we've heard in a week. If Gery hates the move, then it's probably a good move. Remember, this is the guy who said Wade was going pro after his first season because he was flunking out of school. The guy who said Tom Crean had accepted the Illinois job. The guy who took shots at MU when future sex offender Marcettus McGee chose UW instead.   The guy who said DJ should stay in the draft last year.

Ah yes, all this negative press is wonderful for Buzz and MU, I'm sure the recruits and fans are putting on their "opposite day" hats to translate.   ::)   Good thing Jamil Wilson and his family aren't from the area that Woelfel writes....oh wait....

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 10:37:06 AM »

Ah yes, all this negative press is wonderful for Buzz and MU, I'm sure the recruits and fans are putting on their "opposite day" hats to translate.   ::)   Good thing Jamil Wilson and his family aren't from the area that Woelfel writes....oh wait....

Lighten up, Francis.

And the next time a Gery Woeful column hurts Marquette will be the first. You guys are so silly.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 10:52:02 AM »

Let me get this straight. We shouldn't trust Chico whom we know has worked in MU athletic department and at IU because he is, "known for vicious patisanship," and (gasp!) lives in Cali. However, we should trust a guy who calls himself ButchBadger, claims Crean violated NCAA rules, provides no proof for his accusations, can't say a bad word about Bo Ryan or UW, but claims to have great respect for MU and good contacts inside both schools.

Do you have any land in Florida to sell us?

butchbadger

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 11:11:45 AM »
More name calling.   You guys are nice fellows.  :-\   My catholic upbringing didn't teach me to call people asses, pompous, or idiots if I simply disagreed with them, but to each his own.

I'll take the bet but I'll need odds. A lot can happen in the next 5-10 years. My point is that even if Dick does hate Bo, would he stifle his son's career if Bo retired or died?  He hangs around the program all the time still so it can't be that bitter.

Thank you for the B10 network.  The HD is simply outstanding. I was even mesmerized by a women's soccer game in Evanston it looked so pretty ;).  Now that Gumbel is gone Direct TV is still the only way to watch televison.  I pity those who miss out - especially Badger fans who bitch about it and won't make a simple, yet beneficial switch.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2008, 11:17:08 AM »
More name calling.   You guys are nice fellows.  :-\   My catholic upbringing didn't teach me to call people asses, pompous, or idiots if I simply disagreed with them, but to each his own.

I'll take the bet but I'll need odds. A lot can happen in the next 5-10 years. My point is that even if Dick does hate Bo, would he stifle his son's career if Bo retired or died?  He hangs around the program all the time still so it can't be that bitter.

Thank you for the B10 network.  The HD is simply outstanding. I was even mesmerized by a women's soccer game in Evanston it looked so pretty ;).  Now that Gumbel is gone Direct TV is still the only way to watch televison.  I pity those who miss out - especially Badger fans who bitch about it and won't make a simple, yet beneficial switch.

Wow, your Catholic upbringing didn't teach you that yet you've had no problem with similar name calling on the Badger boards....further more you've had no problem leveling accusations of cheating against someone (was that part of your Catholic upbringing too?).  What a hypocrite you are.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 11:19:02 AM »

Don't try and take the high road here and then ride the low road in the Badgers forum. You're still calling us names; just not to our face.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2008, 11:20:35 AM »

I didn't see any name calling in this thread but you can read into it what you want.

Must be tough up on that cross. :-\
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 06:49:51 PM by MUSF »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2008, 11:52:03 AM »
Usually I like to call MUScoop a Woeful free zone.  However, since he's no more negative (today) than at least half our posters, I guess I'll let this one slide.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2008, 11:53:29 AM »
there's a reason Gery is still working in Racine. Small-town hack.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2008, 12:23:43 PM »
hmmm, Woefull=Butchbaajr???

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2008, 01:19:52 PM »
Neither I nor Rican or DKCL are Woelfel. But, I'm virtually sure Ziggy is your man.

Dude.  Dude.   >:(

🏀

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2008, 01:43:25 PM »
I think I found butchbadger in his nipple panties!

Warhawk Warrior

• Scholarship Player
Re: "Our" man Gery Woelfel weighs in on Buzz hiring
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2008, 01:49:26 PM »
This is another article written by someone who was always picked last in pickup games as a kid.  His name "Woeful" fits him like a glove.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2008, 01:54:49 PM »
Woeful sucks on so many levels it's not funny. His article has some truths to it and some inaccuracies, pretty much par for the course.  On the other hand, his thoughts have been expressed by other writers not stuck in Racine but with national reach and that's not something to feel good about.

I hope Buzz proves them all wrong.

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2008, 05:39:27 PM »
Marc Marotta??  Seriously??  That is who should have been consulted in hiring a head coach??  Wow!!

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2008, 08:15:02 PM »
Marc Marotta??  Seriously??  That is who should have been consulted in hiring a head coach??  Wow!!

I was thinking the same thing.  I respect the tradition of the players that have put in their blood, sweat and tears for MU, but how much knowledge of the current college coaching scene can guys like Marotta and Brian Brunkhorst have?  Calling Hank?
Ludum habemus.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2008, 09:35:48 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.  I respect the tradition of the players that have put in their blood, sweat and tears for MU, but how much knowledge of the current college coaching scene can guys like Marotta and Brian Brunkhorst have?  Calling Hank?

My guess is they are probably the only two people affiliated with MU that will give Woeful the time of day. So, he strokes them off publicly while dumping on MU.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2008, 10:04:25 PM »
I have no beef with the 6 year contract. I'm sure MU's AD will always be looking elsewhere for a suitable replacement if the program shows signs of faltering.

On a more positive note, the 6 year contract HELPS with recruiting as it shows the university's commitment to Buzz. (Though the word "commitment" is really defined by university.)
SS Marquette

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2008, 10:16:32 PM »
Wasn't Marotta involved in some shady political dealings?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2008, 11:20:36 PM »
Granted, I agree with a lot his sentiments, but Woelfel is a snake in the grass. 

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

augoman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2008, 12:47:40 AM »
Wasn't Marotta involved in some shady political dealings?

he was the guy behind WI governor's 'pay for state contract' scandal.  ordered contract be re-awarded when doyle contributor didn't get award first time thru- got it the second time, in spite of higher pricing.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2008, 07:13:00 AM »
Woelfel makes solid points here.  I have no idea how good Buzz Williams is going to be, nor does anyone else.  And we have less of an idea about him than we would have about Weber or Grant or Lowery or whatever other names were out there.

That is the biggest problem.  Buzz Williams may indeed be the best man for a coaching job, but this job is going to be a lot more difficult for him than it would be for someone with a defineable resume.  He's going to have to be much better than many of those other potential candidates would have had to be just to be as good, because it has got to be harder for him to recruit with his lack of history.  If I'm a recruit going to play for Buzz Williams I really have no idea what I'm getting myself into.  Couple that with the fact that we have no idea if he can, you know, actually prepare a team or coach a game, and you can understand the fan's uneasiness with the hire.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

feedback