Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Providence Will Make Out Nicely  (Read 5369 times)

Coobeys Oil Depot

Providence Will Make Out Nicely
« on: April 09, 2008, 03:02:49 PM »
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox

An absolute crapstorm of a coaching search for the Friars that dragged on for a few weeks and they will most likely land an exprienced Head Coach in two different conferences, with youth on his side, and known to be a great recruiter with a distinct style.

Oh, and apparently he wants to make his way back to the midwest or south. A phone call at the least?  :(

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
Re: Providence Will Make Out Nicely
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 03:16:27 PM »
we were busy racing to hire Buzz Williams.  LSU took a few weeks also, seems like they did ok?  You race to seal the deal with Miller or bennet, not BW.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 03:55:43 PM »
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox

An absolute crapstorm of a coaching search for the Friars that dragged on for a few weeks and they will most likely land an exprienced Head Coach in two different conferences, with youth on his side, and known to be a great recruiter with a distinct style.

Oh, and apparently he wants to make his way back to the midwest or south. A phone call at the least?  :(

That's because LSU was a bit creative in their hire.  Sometimes it's about looking at who is on a hot seat or who is losing a ton of talent to know who to go after.  Trent, with one year on his contract and having lost the Lopez twins fits that mold perfectly.  Those are the types of people you have on your "short list" so you know who is potentially in play and who isn't.

What mid-major coach is greatly underpaid (Brownwell, Ford, Davis), which major coach is losing a ton of players (Johnson) or is feeling a bit of unnecessary heat (Kent, Gary Williams, Romar, Hewitt, Weber).

I'm not saying any of these guys should have been candidates, just showing how with a minor bit of effort it's fairly easy to identify some folks that one might be willing to take an end run on (yes, I do realize we attempted to go after Hewitt), especially when your assistant coach isn't going anywhere.

Providence is a lot worse job then MU for a ton of reasons, but I'd say in the buzz department if they get Ford that is a good hire.  On the other hand, do I think Ford will be there 10 years from now...no.  Then again, who is anymore.  Good for Providence...certainly a safer hire then ours and it remains to be seen if it is a better one.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 04:00:37 PM »
That's because LSU was a bit creative in their hire.  Sometimes it's about looking at who is on a hot seat or who is losing a ton of talent to know who to go after.

bingo.......MU went into retreat much too quickly

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 06:09:08 PM »
Yet, MU doesn't have as deep coffers as LSU has.

Thus, LSU can "afford" to take their time.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 07:29:13 PM »

Perhaps, but we were certainly paying our last coach more than LSU was paying theirs.  It will be interesting to see if LSU pays Johnson more than $1.6 million per, which is what we were willing to do 9 days ago.  Plus a school like LSU has a ceiling to some extent, they're very unlikely to pay their hoops coach what the football coach is making.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 08:39:34 PM »
Along with Lowery, I would have loved Ford. At least we contacted hi...

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 09:00:33 PM »

Sarcasm, I hope.  Few universities in the nation invest in much in hoops as MU.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 09:24:39 PM »
LSU also just hired their AD last week.

I'm guessing part of their "taking their time" may have been a desire to have him play some part in the decision making process.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 07:36:52 AM »
If PC gets Ford, and that's a big if, what will they have accomplished? 

They'll be getting a coach who's team couldn't get to the NCAA playing in the A10 and who's agenda is to move back south asap while using PC's dire straits to leverage the most he can from the situation.  A stepping stone hire if there ever was one.  Again, that's IF they get him.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 09:13:25 AM »
If PC gets Ford, and that's a big if, what will they have accomplished? 

They'll be getting a coach who's team couldn't get to the NCAA playing in the A10 and who's agenda is to move back south asap while using PC's dire straits to leverage the most he can from the situation.  A stepping stone hire if there ever was one.  Again, that's IF they get him.

Well, all I heard all year long was how tough the Atlantic Ten was this season and considering he was going against the likes of Martelli/St. Joe's and Miller/Xavier for the bids there is no shame in not getting in.

Don't forget, Ford's also the guy who coached his team to 2 wins in the Carrier Dome this season. How did MU do in their visit?

Ford wants to coach in the Midwest or the South. PC will get him there quicker then UMass.

Marquette should have inquired and the fact they didn't is another dart to the heart.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 06:27:35 PM »
Ford will crash and burn if he takes the PC job.  He will quickly find out that it is the toughest school in the BE at which to attract top notch players.  After 2-3 years of continued failure Ford will be lucky to get out before he commits professional suicide

see: Welsh, Tim.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 07:04:46 PM »
Ford will crash and burn if he takes the PC job.  He will quickly find out that it is the toughest school in the BE at which to attract top notch players.  After 2-3 years of continued failure Ford will be lucky to get out before he commits professional suicide

see: Welsh, Tim.

Just announced that he is staying at UMass. Not sure if this is a reflection on PC or if it has something to do with those pesky Billy Gillispie to Oklahoma State rumors.

MULS1999

• Walk-On
Re: Providence Should Make Out Nicely, But Might Not
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 07:50:22 PM »
Ford reportedly turned Providence down tonight.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 08:07:32 PM »
It's official--Ford stays with UMass, and PC is 0 for 3 on its search.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 08:18:41 PM »
It is clearly a reflection on PC which is turning out to be a coaching dead end unless you are a tremendous personality like Pitino or get out early like Barnes.  Like I said, a big IF.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 08:27:05 PM »
It's official--Ford stays with UMass, and PC is 0 for 3 on its search.

0-3. Sure makes the Friar job unappealing now.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 11:54:47 AM »
that's what you get when you entrust your coaching search to an AD who is a hockey guy, not a BB guy. 

Driscoll's success or failure as an AD will rise or fall on this hire. 

If they don't have this solved by the weekend (unlikely) it's gonna be one glum BB banquet at PC on Monday. 

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 12:04:06 PM »
Gillispie to Ok State

Ford to UK

PC should go hard after McCaffrey

MUfan2

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 01:56:01 PM »
we were busy racing to hire Buzz Williams.  LSU took a few weeks also, seems like they did ok?  You race to seal the deal with Miller or bennet, not BW.

I hope you're kidding.  Johnson is a horrible coach.  My brother went and my nephew goes to Stanford, and they are huge basketball guys.  Johnson couldn't coach himself out of a brown paper bag. 

Cooby's - we're all waiting for you to apologize.  Would you really be happy if MU went 0 for 3 and in that time, Buzz left for IU?  Give me a break. 
"If you are making your decision based on climate, you're probably not tough enough to play here." - Buzz Williams

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 02:11:24 PM »
And Ok State will land a big name hire because they play in a Big time conference, the coach is from the state (and an alum), and they have a ton of money...oh wait, apparently there's more to hiring a coach than many of us thought...

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 02:14:37 PM »
How can Providence make out nicely. They keep getting rejected by coaches becasue everyone knows that its purgatory for coaches in that its really hard to move up in today's world from Providence and be successful in a conference the size and depth of the big east. Why shouldn't ford wait around for a better job, and why shoudln't Larranaga remain at a school (which has a better recruiting base anyway) instead of goign to a cold Northeast school with very little in the way of facilities.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 02:54:54 PM »

I hope you're kidding.  Johnson is a horrible coach.  My brother went and my nephew goes to Stanford, and they are huge basketball guys.  Johnson couldn't coach himself out of a brown paper bag. 

Cooby's - we're all waiting for you to apologize.  Would you really be happy if MU went 0 for 3 and in that time, Buzz left for IU?  Give me a break. 

Come on, if Buzz left for IU and then MU went to hire him for 3X what he would be making at IU, you don't think he would come?  Of course he would.  Buzz wasn't going anywhere.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 03:00:02 PM »
Buzz wasn't going anywhere but the recruits are.  The longer we waited, the greater the chance that this upcoming year was going to blow up.  Now I don't know if Buzz was a good hire but I didn't want to wait three weeks to hire anyone either.  Nothing wrong with being quick and decisive if you know what you want and by all indications we did.  Cottingham wanted Bennett and when he couldnt get Bennett, he wanted Buzz.  Now lets just hope they got it right.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 05:14:32 PM »
Buzz wasn't going anywhere but the recruits are.  The longer we waited, the greater the chance that this upcoming year was going to blow up.  Now I don't know if Buzz was a good hire but I didn't want to wait three weeks to hire anyone either.  Nothing wrong with being quick and decisive if you know what you want and by all indications we did.  Cottingham wanted Bennett and when he couldnt get Bennett, he wanted Buzz.  Now lets just hope they got it right.

Seems to me some of the recruits and current players are going anyway.  If Taylor stays, then that's a huge bonus.  If he doesn't, well then what recruits are we really talking about?  Fulce and Otule? 

feedback