Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "Who the #@$& is Buzz Williams"  (Read 4569 times)

MilTown

• Team Captain
"Who the #@$& is Buzz Williams"
« on: April 07, 2008, 06:12:38 PM »
Will be a popular quote tomorrow if the rumors are true. It could work out in the end, but I don't think the MU family will be happy.

marquette09

• All American
Re: "Who the #@$& is Buzz Williams"
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 06:15:15 PM »
This may work out in the end, but if it is true Cottingham is going to be a very unpopular man for only being here 1.5 months

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 06:15:19 PM »
He's the guy who stockpiled Colorado St.

I hope he works out, but he's got no business as a Big East head coach.

thatman32

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 06:18:16 PM »
he's a nobody that was named by a basketball program that doesn't think to highly of itself.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 06:22:30 PM »
give him a shot. if reports are true the BOT offered the money- if the guy they wanted wouldnt take it theres nothing to be done

i know everyones gonna say there are a million better candidates- but after meeting with him and interviewing him maybe they thought he was a better fit than the others we were discussing, except the 4 that turned the job down

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 06:25:23 PM »

i know everyones gonna say there are a million better candidates- but after meeting with him and interviewing him maybe they thought he was a better fit than the others we were discussing, except the 4 that turned the job down

That sounds like someone with inside information.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 06:31:10 PM »

That sounds like someone with inside information.

hardly. i meant the 4 that said they weren't interested, not necessarily offered

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 06:33:56 PM »
We will be the laughing stock of the college basketball world tomorrow if this is true....I'm disgusted. 

Way to go MU....ANOTHER  BS decision.

classof70

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 06:34:54 PM »
I think that's what they said when McGuire was named coach.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 06:35:26 PM »
I'm willing to give Buzz a shot, but I just find it odd that someone would leave a head coaching position to take an assistant position. I don't know a lot of Buzz's background and I think that is one of the big problems here. Another question I have is, could we have brought in a coach and kept Buzz on staff?

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 06:37:38 PM »
Unfortunately this isn't the 70's when Al was hired.  We are in a different world now where the perception of the hire means everything. 

Also...why the rush in hiring Buzz?  Why not keep looking?  What is the downside?

Who cares if Taylor wants to be released, and it isn't as though Buzz's phone is ringing off the hook.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 06:37:41 PM »
This can't be. Not with his resume.

Seriously

jce

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 06:45:53 PM »
Unfortunately this isn't the 70's when Al was hired.  We are in a different world now where the perception of the hire means everything. 

70s???  1964.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 06:48:55 PM »
Sorry, my head is in 2008, not 13 years prior to me being alive.

Untucked

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
I think he took the New Orleans job because it was a head coaching job. Once he realized that they didn't have the resources or the desire to build a solid basketball program after Katrina, he bolted for higher ground. Also, he reported made $200,000 at MU vs. $150,000 at NO.
Q: What's the difference between Bo Ryan and God?
A: God doesn't think he's Bo Ryan!!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 07:08:47 PM »
Nine years ago MU failed to land more popular and experienced options like Steve Alford, Quin Snyder, Perry Clark and Dick Versace and instead settled for an assistant named Tom Crean. Despite the revisionist history of the past six days, it was a great hire for Marquette, and clearly a better hire than any of the more popular choices out there. We should all thank God frequently Bill Cords didn't bring in Snyder or Alford to sully the reputation of our university.

Will history repeat itself with Buzz? I have no idea. Neither do any of you. He's obviously a risky pick. But it is safe to say that those who p*ssed and moaned about MU settling for the inexperienced assistant over more proven guys in 1999 look like fools today for jumping to conclusions.

As for PRN's snide Colorado State comment, Buzz was largely responsible for recruiting the team that gave CSU their only NCAA tournament appearance of the past 18 years.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 07:14:51 PM »
Nine years ago MU failed to land more popular and experienced options like Steve Alford, Quin Snyder, Perry Clark and Dick Versace and instead settled for an assistant named Tom Crean. Despite the revisionist history of the past six days, it was a great hire for Marquette, and clearly a better hire than any of the more popular choices out there. We should all thank God frequently Bill Cords didn't bring in Snyder or Alford to sully the reputation of our university.

Will history repeat itself with Buzz? I have no idea. Neither do any of you. He's obviously a risky pick. But it is safe to say that those who p*ssed and moaned about MU settling for the inexperienced assistant over more proven guys in 1999 look like fools today for jumping to conclusions.

As for PRN's snide Colorado State comment, Buzz was largely responsible for recruiting the team that gave CSU their only NCAA tournament appearance of the past 18 years.

You are absolutley right. However, due to that good decision 9 years ago, times have changed. MU pays a heck of a lot more, MU has more to offer than it did 9 years ago. If Buzz does get the job (not sure I trust some Madison radio hacks), is it a good decision? as you said, we'll find out. I do think it rightfully raises a few eye brows at this point however.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 08:03:10 PM »

Dick Versace? Perry Clark? tell me you're kidding.

Yes Alford was the sexy hire and Quinn was popular too but the only people upset with TC's hiring were the Deane lovers.  Everyone else thought it was a great hire.  He came from one of the top programs in the country.  Buzz Williams resume isn't even in the same conversations as TC's.  That's why this is frustrating b/c we're hiring a lesser guy after our program has grown so much.  I would have no problem hiring the Tom Crean of today, but that doesn't seem like Buzz.  He couldn't even get the TCU gig and we all know his strength is Texas recruiting. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 08:04:18 PM »
This may work out in the end, but if it is true Cottingham is going to be a very unpopular man for only being here 1.5 months

I have no issues with the AD. He can't force interest.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 08:06:36 PM »

I have no issues with the AD. He can't force interest.

What self respecting coach would want to be in Milwaukee anyway?

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 08:43:43 AM »
I already had two people say "Who the #@$& is Buzz Williams" this morning.

Anyone else?