[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Buzz called back  (Read 12723 times)

schubert33

• Starter
Buzz called back
« on: April 06, 2008, 08:26:43 AM »
Sporting news has reported that Buzz was called back to Milwaukee from San Antonio for a second round of interviews. 

only a warrior

• Team Captain
Re: Buzz called back
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 08:29:34 AM »
Awesome... from the road to the final four to the road to mediocrity......

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 08:36:11 AM »
Don't forget, this is the guy who was raking in recruits at Colorado St. for 4 years. You are familiar with their success right? Then he moved on to Texas A&M and he got all those guys -- except Acie Law.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 09:40:57 AM »
Honestly,
Who do you guys think MU is going to get?  Especially with all the Crean haters out there you have to admit he was good for our program.  This isn't the 70's or the 80s anymore.  I hate to be the one to break it to you but MU isn't exactly a destination job.  Sorry, you can throw stones at me all you want but until you realize that MU can't just walk out into college basketball and pull any big-name coach we want the sooner you'll be able to temper your own expectations.  I mean I love the school, I love milwaukee, but how desireable do you think SE wisconsin is to a coach from outside the Midwest?  People wonder why our vacancy isn't being mentioned or talked about in the national media...because we aren't a huge program.  Any publicity we had we got through our "egotistical" ex-Head Coach.  We're going to have to face the fact that Bennett, Grant, Miller, etc aren't interested in the glamorous Milwaukee lifestyle and we have to offer and we'll probably need to hire another young, ambitious, and lesser known coach to develop and lead our program. 

Ok,
Let the hailstorm begin...go ahead and ridicule this post...

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 09:51:44 AM »
I think our thought is money talks and MU can pay big plus our support for facilities is top notch. 

Buzz may be great but hiring so early in process seems like we haven't exhausted our options.

I have problem w/ MU going the hot asst coach route...Buzz to just doesn't seem like that guy, but I could be wrong.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 09:52:18 AM »
PRN -

I am still patiently waiting for you to explain why some of the coaches you prefer are better than Buzz. You stated yesterday that:

"[you] have given [your] opinion ad nauseum on hires, including on the widely reported final four candidates TODAY!!"

Well, in the search for your opinion, I actually looked at all the posts you made yesterday. Aside from negative posts bashing this candidate or that candidate, the only posts vaguely close to what you yesterday claimed were your opinions are:

"Brownell is tops on that list for me, followed by McKillop to be honest."
"McCaffrey, Brownell, Drew, Bennett (in no particular order). I don't have a true 'list.'"
"Brownell is the only acceptable option on that list. If it's one of the other two, prepare for a shower of boos."
"I don't have a list. If I did, Buzz would not be on it."

Unless I am missing something, you HAVE NOT expressed why any of your alternate candidates are better than Buzz. Can you please, rather than simply pointing out the flaws with Buzz, try to support your candidates with some sort of logical argument other than "my say so."

Why is Brownell tops on your list? What is it about Brownell that makes him so much better than Buzz? I am seriously asking this, because I can't see what makes Brownell convincingly better than Buzz. Can you give us some constructive information? Again, I am not going to argue with you if you lay out your reasons. I just want, for once, for you to take a stand that does not involve shooting down someone or something. Support something (other than Al McGuire or the nickname "Warriors"), for God's sake.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 09:53:49 AM by MUCam »

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 09:54:29 AM »
Army,

Love the avatar - we do have "Freeway", isn't that a draw for the next coach?

Could agree with you more.  I liked Crean - living through the crap of Majerus and Dukiet, Crean was a god-send.  Could he of coached better - yes; recruited better - yes; worked harder - no.  That guy was tireless in his pursuit to put us on the map.  I never would've dreamed of being a top-25 team again before Crean got here.  He raised the bar high and now we are going to have to live with lowered expectations with whomever we get next.

I had a post right after the announcement that said the same thing - MU is a stepping stone on the way to the destination job.  Unfortunate, but true for everyone but Al.

No hailstorm here.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
You are right on MU Army
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 09:57:34 AM »
I may be just beating the hail storm muarmy, but you are right on the mark.  Add to everything you said that we made 4 NCAA tournaments in the 16 years between Raymonds and Crean, and yet it is clear that most of our base views Crean as a failure this year despite finishing in the Top 25, winning an NCAA game as just missing a Sweet 16 bid.  Playing in the Big East we could easily be a .500 team any year, and with all the criticism TC faced for a great 9 year run, anyone looking at this job has to have real reservatoins.  The expectations of the fan base is a negative - any great coach out there who has built a reputation out there realizes it would be very easy to be viewed as a failure here.  The fact that so many seemed to jump on Bob McKillop as a terrible choice despite his story being the hottest one out there does indicate that our expectations are not only unrealistic, but hurting our chances to bring someone in.  I want another national title as much as anyone, but to get there I think we are going to have to give the next coach more leeway than we've given Crean to realize it's not coming every year.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 10:03:13 AM »
Yeah,
I attended school through the Deane years and Crean came my senior year...boy what a difference energy can make.
Anyways,
Glad to hear we all aren't drinking the Kool Aide.  Again, I love our school and think our facilities are some of the best in the country but to anyone outside the midwest Milwaukee and Marquette probably don't seem that appealing to a prospective HC or recruit for that matter meaning we'll need someone who can recruit, recruit, and recruit.  Like Al said, if he had to choose between good coaching and great athletes he'd take athletes and after living through the Deane years and seeing the athletes we have today I'd agree with Al, bring in someone who can recruit athletes!

mike1730

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 10:54:28 AM »
Yeah,
I attended school through the Deane years and Crean came my senior year...boy what a difference energy can make.
Anyways,
Glad to hear we all aren't drinking the Kool Aide.  Again, I love our school and think our facilities are some of the best in the country but to anyone outside the midwest Milwaukee and Marquette probably don't seem that appealing to a prospective HC or recruit for that matter meaning we'll need someone who can recruit, recruit, and recruit.  Like Al said, if he had to choose between good coaching and great athletes he'd take athletes and after living through the Deane years and seeing the athletes we have today I'd agree with Al, bring in someone who can recruit athletes!

Buzz has some of the same qualities as Crean did 9 yrs ago.  That is a good thing.  You can be the best X and O coach in the country, but if you don't have the talent to execute that plan, what's the point.  It is all about recruiting.  St. John's is a storied program that took a shot at an X's and O's guy and look what happened.  He couldn't get the athlete's. 

Also, the mature and respectable manner in which the current players are carrying themselves through this is also a compliment to the TYPE of person Crean would recruit.  Don't we want that tradition to continue?  Give credit where credit is due.

Whether you want to call it self-promotion or something else by Crean (I tend to think it wasn't as much self promotion as people want to think), without it, would MU have gotten as much exposure? 

Tom Crean will be missed.  Hiring Buzz will be a huge win as this program is on the right track....

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
Al wasn't an Xs and Os guy either
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 12:27:26 PM »
Can I also remind everyone that Al himself wasn't an Xs and Os guy.  He never drew things up - he was about getting the guys here and then getting in their heads in a positive way.  Al was the Golden era obviously, but Crean is the Silver era.  If Buzz can keep/get guys, I'm fine with that, particularly if the current guys want him.  I care most about the kids who've put in 3 years, followed closely by Lazar with 2 years.  If it's important to them to have Buzz.  Forget the long-term vs. short-term argument - it's all about next year.  If the three Amigos go out with a big year next year and we have a good recruiter, we will get more horses. If next year is lost, no matter who the coach is, we're not going to get a good class after that because recruits are going to all think it was all TC and MU is done.  I'd love Bob McKillop, but I'm fine with Buzz.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 12:57:41 PM »
Here is the story ....

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=395878

Assistant has 'great chance' to replace Crean

Posted: April 5, 2008
Mike DeCourcy
Sporting News

SAN ANTONIO -- Marquette assistant coach Buzz Williams was called home from the Final Four on Friday to meet with university officials in Milwaukee about becoming the Golden Eagles' next coach.

A source close to the program said Williams had "a great chance" of getting the job, which became vacant Tuesday when Williams' former boss, Tom Crean, left to take the head coaching position at Indiana University.

Williams was hired by Crean last July to be his lead recruiter. Williams had been head coach at the University of New Orleans in the 2006-07 season, where he compiled a 14-17 record overall and 9-9 in the Sun Belt Conference.

Williams gained a reputation as a top recruiter while working for Billy Gillispie and helping him to build up the Texas A&M program.

Marquette had been fixated on attempting to hire Tony Bennett away from Washington State as late as Thursday, even though Bennett already had turned away interest from Indiana.

Williams could help Marquette to keep an excellent recruiting class in place, which includes athletic 6-4 guard Nick Williams of Mobile, Ala., 6-10 center Chris Otule of Sugar Land, Texas, and 6-2 guard Tyshawn Taylor of Jersey City, N.J., power St. Anthony High. Marquette also has to be concerned about whether veteran players Jerel McNeal and Dominic James might turn pro simply because of dissatisfaction with their current circumstances and not because of perceived opportunity in the 2008 draft.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 01:10:15 PM »
So this is simply a reiteration of what Rosiak reported on Friday? There hasn't been a second interview with Buzz but rather just the formal interview.

As for the comments in the Sporting News article on James and McNeal their comments from this week would seem in direct contradiction to what DeCourcy is guessing.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 03:05:51 PM »
Why is Brownell tops on your list? What is it about Brownell that makes him so much better than Buzz? I am seriously asking this, because I can't see what makes Brownell convincingly better than Buzz. Can you give us some constructive information?

I'm definitely not PRN, but I'd like to put in my two cents as to why I'd prefer Brownell.

• Winningest coach under 40
  • Has won at every stop, and wins immediately
  • Unlike Lowery or Gregory, his current fans don't bag on him
  • Even though we worked under Wainright, Jerry's best years were when Brownell worked for him
  • Has recruited quality players to his program, as two of his players this year were Horizon "all-newcomer"
  • Was impressive enough that IU almost hired him

The two primary concerns on Brownell are that he's never been affiliated with a major program for recruiting and his style of play (it's a slow tempo).  However, there are plenty of coaches that have transitioned successfully from the Horizon to a BCS conference.

Just feel that he will maximize the current talent and transition well to the new program.  Out of all the remaining options, I think he's the best.

Brownell is definitely a better option than Buzz.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Pardner

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 11:18:31 PM »
Why is Brownell tops on your list? What is it about Brownell that makes him so much better than Buzz? I am seriously asking this, because I can't see what makes Brownell convincingly better than Buzz. Can you give us some constructive information?

I'm definitely not PRN, but I'd like to put in my two cents as to why I'd prefer Brownell.

• Winningest coach under 40
  • Has won at every stop, and wins immediately
  • Unlike Lowery or Gregory, his current fans don't bag on him
  • Even though we worked under Wainright, Jerry's best years were when Brownell worked for him
  • Has recruited quality players to his program, as two of his players this year were Horizon "all-newcomer"
  • Was impressive enough that IU almost hired him

The two primary concerns on Brownell are that he's never been affiliated with a major program for recruiting and his style of play (it's a slow tempo).  However, there are plenty of coaches that have transitioned successfully from the Horizon to a BCS conference.

Just feel that he will maximize the current talent and transition well to the new program.  Out of all the remaining options, I think he's the best.

Brownell is definitely a better option than Buzz.

Henry--I almost always agree with you but Brownell has never delivered a Top 100+ recruit according to RSCI, and about 80% of his roster is within a tight radius of campus...with a couple outside of the area who saw limited PT.  I feel like he is all about "Bo Ball" with his basketball philosophy.  A good fit for the Horizon, but can he do it in the BE? 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 11:53:36 PM »
http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10764257

I see the coach I want to fit in much like this article's "formula" that Calipari and Self used:

Call it the Calipari/Self three-step formula to success.

Step 1: Recruit great players.
Step 2: Give them the freedom to be great.
Step 3: Collect wins and get rich in the process.

Calipari and Self are not known as great strategic coaches.  If Self gets knocked out before the Elite Eight this year his seat might even get a little hot after pathetic upsets two and three years ago.  But these guys are master recruiters.  That's the best formula for winning in a high major.  Sure we can get a coach that tries to adapt his style to our players, but when he's never recruited a player good enough to play outside a system before it's tough to beat teams loaded with talent.  Some coaches know how to win with strategy and some recruiting breaks.  Keno Davis has shown some recruiting ability, but his Coach of the Year award is more on running and team than bringing in good players, and that doesn't work all that well in power conferences.  The guy's starting point guard never made a 3 throughout all four years.  It's fine for a mid-major, but give me someone who can bring in talent. 

I don't believe someone like Brownell who took over a program that couldn't get much worse and made it competitive automatically gets attention for every possible promotion when they've fulfilled one qualification, and one that doesn't apply to a program that has been to three NCAA tournaments in a row.  Horizon League newcomer award winners are Big East benchwarmers.  Does this make Buzz Williams the answer to me?  I'm saying he's shown as much strength in recruiting as Brownell has in handling a team: a couple of NCAA appearances in weak conferences, as well as losses to UWM and UWGB this past year.  Neither has a top quality all-around resume, but give me the guy who's strength is recruiting because that's how the big boys win.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 01:47:59 PM »
BUMP

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 01:49:29 PM »
BUMP

Could you remind me why you're bumping all these threads?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 01:52:56 PM »
Could you remind me why you're bumping all these threads?

One, I think it's interesting to hear what folks thought back 5 years ago when MU was in the same boat.  2. This board has gone down a hellish vortex of derp the past 4 months, so at least a little look back can provide something new other than Ners obsession with DW and Willie screaming at people from his front porch.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 01:54:48 PM »
Honestly,
Who do you guys think MU is going to get?  Especially with all the Crean haters out there you have to admit he was good for our program.  This isn't the 70's or the 80s anymore.  I hate to be the one to break it to you but MU isn't exactly a destination job.  Sorry, you can throw stones at me all you want but until you realize that MU can't just walk out into college basketball and pull any big-name coach we want the sooner you'll be able to temper your own expectations.  I mean I love the school, I love milwaukee, but how desireable do you think SE wisconsin is to a coach from outside the Midwest?  People wonder why our vacancy isn't being mentioned or talked about in the national media...because we aren't a huge program.  Any publicity we had we got through our "egotistical" ex-Head Coach.  We're going to have to face the fact that Bennett, Grant, Miller, etc aren't interested in the glamorous Milwaukee lifestyle and we have to offer and we'll probably need to hire another young, ambitious, and lesser known coach to develop and lead our program.  

Ok,
Let the hailstorm begin...go ahead and ridicule this post...

That's what I've been saying. We need to take a step back and be a little objective. We all love MU, but there's a lot working against it.

The Smart debacle was tough to take...and I still don't understand the Howland situation...but this is about as well as MU was going to do. MU is a feeder program for the big boys. Many other schools are too. That's just the way it is....and all of Dick Strong's money isn't going to change that fact.

At least this is a "name." A guy who fans know. And while plenty of people hate all things Duke, 95% of that is pure jealousy.

Let's hope for the best. That's about all we can do at this point.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 01:57:09 PM by Groin_pull »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 02:00:07 PM »
One, I think it's interesting to hear what folks thought back 5 years ago when MU was in the same boat.  2. This board has gone down a hellish vortex of derp the past 4 months, so at least a little look back can provide something new other than Ners obsession with DW and Willie screaming at people from his front porch.
Speaking of obsession??  Seems you are a little obsessed with reintroducing the issue of Derrick into topics it has no relevance. Let it go Reinko. Obviously something was right with Buzz this past season and bolting for Va Tech.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013