[Today at 07:05:03 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:25:51 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: It Just Doesn't Matter  (Read 5453 times)

pittisit98

• Walk-On
It Just Doesn't Matter
« on: April 08, 2008, 12:06:34 PM »
Today's presser could be to announce Rick Pitino as the new Coach.  Could be to announce John Calipari, Bill Self, Bob Knight, Rollie Massamino or even John Wodden for that matter.

And you know what?

IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER

Short of announcing that AL McGUIRE has risen from the dead and returned to coach, this board would be filled with roughly the same number of pro/con posts as are now out there. 

No hire was going to please everyone....I'd bet that AL coming back from the dead would have it's detractors too.....been dead too long....game has passed him by, yadda yadda

« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 12:09:13 PM by pittisit98 »

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: It Just Doesn't Matter
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 12:13:39 PM »
No hire was going to please everyone....I'd bet that AL coming back from the dead would have it's detractors too.....been dead too long....game has passed him by, yadda yadda

Don't forget the issues associated with having a zombie coach recruiting.  I mean, it's one thing to worry about your playing time, quite another about having your brains eaten.  He could probably intimidate the refs as well as ever, though.  Not an expert, but I think we'd have to play all night games so the Great Alaska Shoot-out would be out.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

pittisit98

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 12:15:59 PM »
I totally forgot about the zombie factor.  Can you imagine the odor he'd emit sitting in some recruits living room?  Poor kids mother would be thinking she's burning dinner or something ::)

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 12:18:51 PM »

Don't forget the issues associated with having a zombie coach recruiting.  I mean, it's one thing to worry about your playing time, quite another about having your brains eaten.  He could probably intimidate the refs as well as ever, though.  Not an expert, but I think we'd have to play all night games so the Great Alaska Shoot-out would be out.

Awesome.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 12:20:54 PM »
Today's presser could be to announce Rick Pitino as the new Coach.  Could be to announce John Calipari, Bill Self, Bob Knight, Rollie Massamino or even John Wodden for that matter.

And you know what?

IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER

Short of announcing that AL McGUIRE has risen from the dead and returned to coach, this board would be filled with roughly the same number of pro/con posts as are now out there. 

That's just bull. You mean to tell me if we hired Bennett or Brownell or Lowery or -- I don't know -- an ESTABLISHED ASSISTANT AT A MAJOR PROGRAM -- that there would be near unanimous questioning of the entire process?

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 12:25:49 PM »
I disagree. I think people are upset about this hiring because it seems like a step back from when we even hired Tom Crean 9 years ago.

Tom Crean was a good assistant in a good program looking for an opportunity. Marquette was a pretty bad basketball program looking for someone to bring them back.

Buzz Williams was an assistant all his career. He has the reputation of being a great recruiter, but no experience as a head coach.

Tom Crean took this program and built it to where it is now: a Big East power house worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as UConn, ND (meh, pains me to say that), PIT, GT.

Back when we hired Crean that was the best hiring we could have made, but now our program is leaps and bounds better than what it was, yet we make that same type of hiring- an assistant looking for an opportunity. Marquette is no longer an opportunistic location for coaches who want to make it big. It is no longer a stepping stone. It's where coaches should WANT to be. Yes, the first 2-3 big names turned us down, but a lot of bigger name coaches who have proven themselves at their stepping stone colleges expressed interest. Just sucks to go back to the same kind of hiring we made 9 years ago...

They made the hirings for the wrong reasons. Not to better their program, but to bring "continuity" or "stability" or whatever they said... apparently the board of trustees is satisfied with losing in the first or second round of whatever tournament we end up at in March, because they didn't make a hire to get better, they made a hire to keep recruits from transfering and backing out. They made this hire because he's familiar with everyone. Not really my first choice on things to look for in a coach...

But then again, this isn't the first time the board of trustees surprised me...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 12:27:57 PM by D-Ro »

pittisit98

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 12:30:28 PM »
NOPE....not even CLOSE to majority approval.  Aside from the small handfull who are going to complain because that's just what they do...complain, NO HIRE was going to unite this fanbase.  If it had been a fairly successful coach from a smaller school, there would have been complaints that they should have AT LEAST gone for a mid major coach.  If it had been a successful Mid Major, there would have been complaints for not going after a TOP TIER CONFERENCE coach.  And if it had been an assistant, from someplace else, people would have complained for not hiring an assistant from within, citing continuity and recruiting issues.

It's a NO WIN situation nomatter who you hire

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 12:32:53 PM »
NOPE....not even CLOSE to majority approval.  Aside from the small handfull who are going to complain because that's just what they do...complain, NO HIRE was going to unite this fanbase.  If it had been a fairly successful coach from a smaller school, there would have been complaints that they should have AT LEAST gone for a mid major coach.  If it had been a successful Mid Major, there would have been complaints for not going after a TOP TIER CONFERENCE coach.  And if it had been an assistant, from someplace else, people would have complained for not hiring an assistant from within, citing continuity and recruiting issues.

It's a NO WIN situation nomatter who you hire

I disagree.  People were pretty united in their disdain for the way Crean left and they were looking for something to be optimistic about.  This is not cause for universal optimism.  This is cause for scrutiny.

pittisit98

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 12:38:23 PM »
Well, if you want scrutiny, and are searching for some justification....Another thread on here has inquired how this will impact MU's Converse Contract. 

Don't discount the influence CONVERSE may have had in this hire. 

Shoe companies spend a lot of money building relationships with coaches and schools.  They pride themselves in having their brand associated with certain universities.  Don't think that CONVERSE was going to sit back and let a coach with ties to NIKE or Addidas show up and get shoved out the door.

For years, Sonny Vacarro from addidas was known as the man to talk to if you wanted a head coaching job at certain east coast schools.

Remember.....take away the fans, the cheerleaders, the pepband....and it's a BUSINESS

« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 12:40:36 PM by pittisit98 »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 12:41:54 PM »
I agree in the sense that the three guys we thought were realistic that nearly everyone would have been behind, Miller, Grant and Bennett, weren't all that interested in us.  After those three guys, I think Groce(sp?), Brownell or Lowery would have been well-received choices, outside of an unexpected out of the blue home run hire.  But those guys would have definitely had their detractors.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 12:43:13 PM »
What a crock.  Wouldn't you think if Converse was involved they would have been pushing for the biggest name possible to pimp their product instead of an unknown assistant?

You're reaching.

pittisit98

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 12:51:27 PM »
Not if the "big names" had ties to another shoe company.  These shoe companies sponsor the coache's summer camps.  The "NAME" coaches are as tied into their shoe sponsors as the schools are.  It's NOT a reach.  It's a legitmate aspect of today's game. 

MARQUETTE IS MARQUETTE IS MARQUETTE, and so long as they continue to be marquette, converse is happy.  Why risk messing with a solid representative school by allowing a coach with ties to NIKE or Addidas to come in and potentially bring a better deal to the school.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 01:01:42 PM »
Not if the "big names" had ties to another shoe company.  These shoe companies sponsor the coache's summer camps.  The "NAME" coaches are as tied into their shoe sponsors as the schools are.  It's NOT a reach.  It's a legitmate aspect of today's game. 

MARQUETTE IS MARQUETTE IS MARQUETTE, and so long as they continue to be marquette, converse is happy.  Why risk messing with a solid representative school by allowing a coach with ties to NIKE or Addidas to come in and potentially bring a better deal to the school.

You are crazy, MU didn't want the coach from (picking at random from the list of people better than what we got) davidson because converse couldn't work something out with him?  Please...

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 01:15:24 PM »

So Indiana should never have hired Crean because of his ties to Converse and the DWade brand because they're an Adidas school.

Your theory holds no water.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 01:48:50 PM »
BUMP

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 01:51:30 PM »
Al rising from the dead?
I would hope our discussion wouldn't be about how many games we can win the Big East next year.....
But we know eventually it would.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 01:53:59 PM »
The more things change, the more they stay the same.  Or, now there is a third guarantee in life.   Death, taxes, whining on Scoop. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brandx

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 01:54:47 PM »
What a crock.  Wouldn't you think if Converse was involved they would have been pushing for the biggest name possible to pimp their product instead of an unknown assistant?

You're reaching.

Can you name me some assistants who are more "Known" than woJo?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 01:55:04 PM »
I like all these reaction threads being bumped. I can freely admit that I was one that was disappointed with the Buzz hiring. But in the end, it worked out for us. Hope the same can be said for this hire.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 01:56:11 PM »

Check the original date.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 01:56:47 PM »

Ahem....quote from 2008