[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

If Buzz is named the new coach, are you happy or upset?

Happy :)
33 (33.3%)
Upset :(
66 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Author Topic: Buzz Williams new Coach? Happy or Upset?  (Read 12468 times)

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
Buzz Williams new Coach? Happy or Upset?
« on: April 04, 2008, 10:01:39 AM »
If Buzz is named the new coach, are you happy or upset?

;D >:(
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
Re: Buzz Williams new Coach? Happy or Upset?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 10:04:30 AM »
If they truly conduct a national search for the best candidate, I doubt that Buzz Williams is the top choice.

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 10:06:12 AM »
How about ambivalent?

We could do better than Buzz, but we could also do much worse.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 10:13:15 AM »
Making the decision solely based on wanting to keep the incoming recruits here is foolish.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 10:17:05 AM »
Making the decision solely based on wanting to keep the incoming recruits here is foolish.

Agreed.

However, if MU conducts a search, talks with people like Grant, Lowery, Brownell, etc. and then decides Buzz is the best long-term solution, then I could live with it. But MU shouldn't hire Buzz because it might appease current players or recruits.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 10:18:31 AM »
I would be content if it mean that we get to keep our recruits, but I would think that there is greater benefit in completing the due diligence required in the hiring process.

better question:

would you be happy with taking someone like Buzz and not missing a step in  our recruiting for the next 1-2 years, playing as well as we have been, then (what i think would happen) we start to go downhill. OR would you rather we hire a big name coach, feel the affects of the transition for a couple of years then continue to excel as a program? ***

boiled down: succes now/growing pains later, or growing pains now/success later.

*** I know there are major assumptions here, but you get what I am going for.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 10:18:36 AM »
However, if MU conducts a search, talks with people like Grant, Lowery, Brownell, etc. and then decides Buzz is the best long-term solution, then I could live with it. But MU shouldn't hire Buzz because it might appease current players or recruits.

Agreed, although I hope it doesn't turn into a "Well, Marquette couldn't get anyone to come coach so they were forced to stay in house."

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 10:20:20 AM »
I'm no recruiting expert but i've read in several places that Buzz is one of the top recruiters in the country with a work ethic that is stronger than Tommy.  I'm assuming Bennett and Miller have both expressed no interest in the job.  So with what is left, are you happy with Buzz?

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 10:21:29 AM »
boiled down: succes now/growing pains later, or growing pains now/success later.

Not a question in my eyes. There will always be growing pains with a coaching transition. The seniors we have coming back have a great opportunity to mitigate the growing pains now, and let our new HC get a season under his belt and bring in some solid recruits next year.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 10:21:40 AM »
Agree with Pakuni. It appears as though there have at least been serious inquiries to both Miller and Bennett. So long as the University is excersing due dilligence in its search, and has exhausted the "top tier" options of Miller and Bennett, I am okay with Buzz being the man. I understand the Brownell supporters and the Grant supporters and the Lowery supporters. However, I see all of those being on roughly the same level as Buzz. They may be slightly better candidates, but they do not provide the program stability Buzz supplies.

For what its worth, and it is an outside chance hope, I have been very pleased by the apparent lack of noise (aside from one article with a journalist sitting with XU AD and Miller), from the Xaivier and or Miller camps. Take that into consideration with the Trustee meeting (likely called for a major decision), and I am quietly optimistic about our chances at Miller. I think it would be a major steal, because I think Xavier is definitely a program on the same level as ours.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 10:21:59 AM »
What if they hire Buzz and then the three recruits (taylor,otule and williams) still don't come?  Ouch

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 10:24:49 AM »
For what its worth, and it is an outside chance hope, I have been very pleased by the apparent lack of noise (aside from one article with a journalist sitting with XU AD and Miller), from the Xaivier and or Miller camps. Take that into consideration with the Trustee meeting (likely called for a major decision), and I am quietly optimistic about our chances at Miller. I think it would be a major steal, because I think Xavier is definitely a program on the same level as ours.

I guess I'm not as optimistic as you in that regard. I am happy with the relative silence in the media. Nothing worse than what happened to UK and IU this year with people shooting them down left and right. If that is going to happen I'd like it to be done quietly.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 10:25:45 AM »
Don't get me wrong... Miller is choice #1 but it doesn't sound like he's interested.  If he comes, i'm estatic but as you say, if those two candidates are off the table, i'm happy with Buzz.  So what if we lose recruits this year.  I think Buzz's stability guarantees the return of the three amigos and a great tourney run next year.  Imagine what Buzz could do with recruiting after another final four run! 

Untucked

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 10:42:49 AM »
Don't underestimate the fact that Grant is African-American. There are very few African-American coaches in the midwest.
Q: What's the difference between Bo Ryan and God?
A: God doesn't think he's Bo Ryan!!

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 10:55:53 AM »
This would be such a lazy hire.  And you know he's been talking to Benedict Arnold several times a day.  If he doesn't get the head job, he's bolting to Indiana. 

I think we're screwed with next year's recruits either way.  So, clean house Marquette!

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 10:56:29 AM »
Don't underestimate the fact that Grant is African-American. There are very few African-American coaches in the midwest.

Are you saying that would be a plus for MU or that it would deter Grant from coming to MU?

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 11:09:54 AM »
What if they hire Buzz and then the three recruits (taylor,otule and williams) still don't come?  Ouch

Not sure which Williams you are talking about.  I believe Nick Williams is gone no matter what.  I think Otule could very well be on campus even if Buzz is not here.  I can't get a read on Taylor but I think he is gone no matter what.  Eric Williams is still in play and would probably still come. 

We have to remember that even if all the recruits don't come, Buzz is still a great recruiter as he has proven it everywhere he has gone.  The problem is we don't know how good of a coach he is.  The landscape is littered with great recruiters who sucked as coaches.  Just ask Depaul. 

With Brownell you have a coach who has succeeded.  Lets not forget that you can still succeed if you are a great coach and a not so great recruiter.  All you have to do is make sure you hire great recruiters as your assistants.  Weber is a perfect example.  He has a very good recruiter in the fold now and he has excellent players coming in the next 2 years.  Don't get me wrong, I don't know if I want Weber as coach.  Nor do I know if I want to throw Buzz out.  I have heard a lot of great things about Buzz. 

I am confident that Cottingham will make the best hire for the program but I am less confident that we will have continued success as I think we have numerous names already crossed off on Cottingham's short coaching list.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 11:16:42 AM »
Time for a fresh start. Take a pass.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 11:20:32 AM »
I'm no recruiting expert but i've read in several places that Buzz is one of the top recruiters in the country with a work ethic that is stronger than Tommy.  I'm assuming Bennett and Miller have both expressed no interest in the job.  So with what is left, are you happy with Buzz?

So we get a great recruiter with a tremendous work ethic? It's Tom Crean II.

We've had 9 years of questioning his tactical acumen and that would continue with Buzz.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 11:38:06 AM »

We've had 9 years of questioning his tactical acumen and that would continue with Buzz.

I would take another 9 years like we just had with Crean.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 11:39:27 AM »
If Rosiak is correct and Mbakwe is transferring out unrelated to Crean jumping ship, we aren't much even with the Three Amigos next year. There is no guarantee based on what we saw this year that Mbakwe would be a big contributor anyway, but without him we have absolutely nothing inside unless Otule shocks everyone and goes from supposed project to instant contributor-if he comes.

Jerel, Wes and Dominic could make MU respectable next year, but unfortunately I don't see us getting real far with a high school sized lineup.

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 01:50:05 PM »
Why in the hell would anyone here be "happy" with a 35 year old assistant with one unproven/unsucessful year as a head coach at a terrible program (NO) with exatly ONE good (not great) recruiting class at Marquette that will probably loose some ground even if we were stupid enough to hire the guy. 

Last I checked the position is for Head Coach...this guys is a recruiter, a body snatcher, and has done little to nothing as an actual coach.

Upset wouldn't even begin to cover it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 01:52:28 PM by MUinCO »

jce

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2008, 01:53:27 PM »

Not sure which Williams you are talking about.  I believe Nick Williams is gone no matter what.  I think Otule could very well be on campus even if Buzz is not here.  I can't get a read on Taylor but I think he is gone no matter what.  Eric Williams is still in play and would probably still come. 

We have to remember that even if all the recruits don't come, Buzz is still a great recruiter as he has proven it everywhere he has gone.  The problem is we don't know how good of a coach he is.  The landscape is littered with great recruiters who sucked as coaches.  Just ask Depaul. 

With Brownell you have a coach who has succeeded.  Lets not forget that you can still succeed if you are a great coach and a not so great recruiter.  All you have to do is make sure you hire great recruiters as your assistants.  Weber is a perfect example.  He has a very good recruiter in the fold now and he has excellent players coming in the next 2 years.  Don't get me wrong, I don't know if I want Weber as coach.  Nor do I know if I want to throw Buzz out.  I have heard a lot of great things about Buzz. 

I am confident that Cottingham will make the best hire for the program but I am less confident that we will have continued success as I think we have numerous names already crossed off on Cottingham's short coaching list.

What makes people think that these recruits are "gone?"  MU probably will not let them out of their LOI so their choices are to play at some prep school for a year and go somewhere else, or come to MU.  18 yo kids being 18 yo kids are gonna stay stupid, emotional stuff...and most aren't going to wait another year.  It is too risky.

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2008, 01:55:36 PM »
I disagree here, I believe MU holds them to their LOI until the new HC is hired...then release if it is requested.  To do otherwise would probably hurt us in the long run.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 01:56:05 PM »

I think it's fair to say that none of us has a clue as to Williams' coaching acumen, so it's perhaps a little soon to judge one way or another. He could be great, could be clueless.
That said, if push comes to shove, I'd rather have a great recruiter/mediocre coach than great coach/mediocre recruiter. Hopefully we can land someone great at both, but ultimately players make the difference, not schemes.

feedback